TGC ShoutBox

Refresh History
  • Forum rules apply here! Only members can Shout.
  • FLASH: Not at all! That's not even the comic book Barry Allen, but I'm ok with Ezra Miller as the Flash. Superman is more my speed these days  8)
    Today at 10:17:37 AM
  • TopStarRacer: Hey FLASH! I saw Justice League the other day. How much do you relate to FLASH? :P
    December 08, 2017, 08:45:44 PM
  • JoomX: Good to see you too, Flash.  Too bad we don't have a good game we could all get into and hang out more often...
    December 08, 2017, 01:51:51 PM
  • FLASH: Long time no see Agent C! Good to see you around! BTC wished me a Happy Thanksgiving a few weeks ago so I figured I'd check in and see what's up. Hope you all are doing well!
    December 08, 2017, 01:33:09 PM
  • JoomX: Yes it would, Top.  Miss chatting with the old crew, including Dynamo.  And hey there, Agent C, good to see you...  :)
    December 04, 2017, 12:45:57 PM
  • TopStarRacer: Now if only BIG AIR and Snooog could pop in...be nice to hear from those old farts.
    December 02, 2017, 01:14:34 AM
  • TopStarRacer: The legend himself, how is the ol' AC?  Miss racing and chatting with you!
    December 02, 2017, 01:13:34 AM
  • Agent C: ;D
    December 01, 2017, 07:33:59 PM
  • Agent C: Oh, and Nintendo Switch sucks, wouldn't buy it for $50!
    December 01, 2017, 07:33:29 PM
  • Agent C: See, been that long, forgot it tells who is saying what! :P
    December 01, 2017, 07:31:55 PM
  • Agent C: Agent C, checking in after a long time. Hope everyone is doing well. I'm still around.
    December 01, 2017, 07:30:57 PM
  • JoomX: 33rd?  Wow...
    December 01, 2017, 11:42:04 AM
  • TopStarRacer: Happy 33rd Birthday Excitebike, the one that started it all!
    November 30, 2017, 11:32:16 AM
  • TopStarRacer: Happy Turkey Day Exciteboters!
    November 23, 2017, 11:37:24 AM
  • JoomX: Happy Thanksgiving, everybody...
    November 22, 2017, 08:33:56 PM
  • JoomX: Welcome to the forums, byron332...
    November 07, 2017, 12:27:57 AM
  • JoomX: Still just a sat connection, TJ.  Never going to be anything better in this area.  Over 1,000ms ping time, would totally suck trying to play online.  For EB, I'd try it though... ;)
    October 19, 2017, 12:58:10 PM
  • theJudeAbides: Did you ever get hooked up to decent internet, Joom?  We should hop into a voice-chat some time.  I have access to a Discord channel if you're interested.
    October 18, 2017, 11:34:59 PM
  • JoomX: For now, TJ.  I keep thinking it's kind of useless now with EB gone, but keep hoping a new EB or something similar will come along.  If not, I'm sure sometime we'll have to call it a day...  :(
    October 16, 2017, 11:58:09 PM
  • theJudeAbides: Well, I'm glad you're keeping it around, Joom. :D
    October 16, 2017, 11:31:12 PM

Poll

What do you use to power your Wii remote?

Disposable AA batteries
3 (20%)
Wii remote rechargeable battery packs
6 (40%)
Rechargeable AA batteries
4 (26.7%)
All of the above
2 (13.3%)

Total Members Voted: 15

Author Topic: Disposable vs. Rechargeable  (Read 2496 times)

Offline Agent C

• View Profile
Disposable vs. Rechargeable
« on: November 19, 2012, 08:58:44 PM »
I've talked about this to a few people in mumble and thought that I would ask everyone on the board. So, what do you use? :) I've always used disposable AA batteries but I've almost lost my ZLP several times due to battery failure. >:( I think I lost a few bets on my 9's profile as well because of batteries. :(  I recieved some AA rechargeable batteries last holiday season but I think SkoolYa or I threw them in the trash by accident. :'( :-[ :D BIG AIR warned me about those kind of batteries but I can't remember what he said was wrong with them.

Joom said that he has always used the rechargeable battery packs for his remotes. He has both of them in sync and whenever he loses power to one, he just grabs the other one and keeps on racing. 8) However, I like to race with the rubber sleeve on, so I don't know if that would be a problem? What about Wii wheel users?

I know the Energizer brand allows you to leave the sleeve on while it's charging. I saw a charger yesterday for $11.99 and Amazon has many different types. Is that a good price? What kind do you have Joom? Do the "cheap" ones keep a charge just as good as the "name brand" chargers? I have a brand new Wii remote other than SkoolYa's so I'm leaning towards getting a charger. I have a huge stockpile of AA batteries though. :-\

Ok, please vote and post why you like that choice.

Online TopStarRacer

• Excite Win Junkie
  • TGC Junkie
  • Race on!
    • View Profile
    • TopStarRacer's YouTube Channel
Re: Disposable vs. Rechargeable
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2012, 09:28:10 PM »
Ever since my family discovered rechargeable batteries, we never went back. I've been using them since I got the Wii. It's simple...you put the batteries in and once they die, you put them into the wall to charge. Then, you can re-use them all over again for up to many, many times. (I've been using the same idk 16 or so AA-Rechargable batteries for the past 3-4 years and that's with a lot of EB play). They are only now slowly dying in the fact that they don't stay charged for very long after they've been charged.

Battery packs were appealing to me and my parents. Unfortunately the battery packs I recieved a few years ago didn't last worth crap / didn't even charge so I ended up sticking with the above.

AA Disposable? I think it's a waste of money. If you were to add up the cost of the 4-5 four packs of rechargeable batteries and compare that to the cost of the number of AA disposables I would've used up in the 6 years I've owned my Wii....whew. :o

Rechargable all the way! ;)

Offline No Good

• bad cicada
    • View Profile
Buy Precharged AA Batteries
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2012, 10:13:26 PM »
In my experience, the precharged AA batteries tend to work the best. This is probably because these batteries are specifically engineered to hold a charge over time. I have a couple of pairs that last me for weeks before they need to be recharged. This also reduces the number of charge cycles, so they should last longer.

Offline JoomX

• I Am The
  • Administrator
  • TGC Junkie
  • It's all about the game...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2012, 10:31:44 PM »
When we bought the first Wii 2 1/2 years ago I bought a dual charger with battery packs for $13.95.  The battery packs replace the regular batteries and the back cover.  I'm still using those battery packs every day.

Since then I've bought two more dual chargers with battery packs for $11.95 and had them over a year.  Still work great.

I don't use a wheel or a condom, and I keep the charger beside me.  When I'm not racing or watching a show I drop the remote in the charger.  Easier than just setting it down.

Works just like a cordless phone, always charged.  One charge on one unit will last pretty much all day, assuming I don't race over 14-16 hours in that day.  That's with the heavier duty packs.  The regular ones last about 8 hours.

If you do use a wheel or condom, my guess is that you have to remove the remote to put batteries in anyway.  Right?  And if you only have one remote and don't want to have it on charge all the time - I'd buy another freakin' remote. :P  One in use, one on charge.

Running out of juice is very seldom an issue for me...
A computer once beat me at chess, but as it turns out it was no match for me at kickboxing... ;)

Offline Agent C

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2012, 08:02:18 PM »
Well, I got a Wii remote charger this week for $7.97. It's a Gigaware brand and it comes with an AC adapter instead of the usb power to your Wii. I wanted this because my Wii is kinda far away from where I sit. I will post later and tell you guys what I think of it. :)

Offline JoomX

• I Am The
  • Administrator
  • TGC Junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2012, 08:10:23 PM »
All mine are adapter powered too, AC.  Nothing wrong with the USB powered, I just prefer to keep any additional load off the Wii.

I think you'll like it...
A computer once beat me at chess, but as it turns out it was no match for me at kickboxing... ;)

Offline Agent C

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2012, 10:25:37 PM »
Well, my Wii remote charger did not work right out of the box. :-X I took it back to RadioShack and exchanged it for another tonight and now the second unit doesn't work too. >:( I'm at a loss for words. I guess I'll be choosing another brand and one that doesn't use inductive power to charge the batteries.

In the meantime while I have my new remote out, I was going to put batteries in it and use it some. How do you sync both remotes to the 1 player? If I sync them, the second one goes to player 2?? ??? That will not work if I'm racing, the power dies on the first remote and try to switch to the second if it's on player 2, right??

Offline No Good

• bad cicada
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2012, 11:18:36 PM »
I'm not a fan of inductive charging, but if it works for you...

In the rare cases where our controller dies in race, we can generally grab the second remote and simply press the 2 button to turn it on. It connects to the Wii as Player 1 and the race continues. If the batteries on the dead controller are crappy and the power cycles on the (almost) dead remote, it can confuse the Wii and the second remote can activate as Player 2. This hasn't happened to us since switching to the pre-charged rechargeables.

Offline SkoolYa

• Silence!
  • The bell has rung..take a seat!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2012, 12:38:56 AM »
I'm not a fan either NoGood. Went and exchanged one bad inductive charger or another.  :( :( ??? ???  *Shakes Head* Hopefully, there won't be a third attempt at inductive charging.
Take a seat!

Offline BIG AIR

• Somebody stop this thing!
  • somebody stop this thing
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 28, 2012, 08:12:34 AM »
The rechargeables cost me TWO of my ZLP losses. And NoGood, my 2nd remote has NEVER picked up the #1 remote position unless I comepletely restart the Wii console.

Offline JoomX

• I Am The
  • Administrator
  • TGC Junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 28, 2012, 10:39:52 AM »
I keep mine on the chargers most of the time I'm not using them, but there have been a couple times I've played a lot on and off during the day and forgotten to drop one in the charger.  Died mid race.

Every time one has died, though, just grabbing the other one and hitting a button brought it up as #1.  A few times I've known the battery was low and wanted to change between races, but just popping the battery pack loose disconnects it and the other picks up as #1.  The battery packs are attached to a replacement back, so the whole unit just snaps in and out.  Just pressing the snap and lifting one end out will disconnect it for me and let the other come up right away as #1...

Offline BIG AIR

• Somebody stop this thing!
  • somebody stop this thing
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 28, 2012, 10:46:50 AM »
I THAT case, my Wii console is just EVIL!!!!!! >:( :( :o

Offline JoomX

• I Am The
  • Administrator
  • TGC Junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 28, 2012, 11:34:09 AM »
So is mine, but not because of the batteries.  I think that one of my Wii's is a 7th generation of a 7th generation console, and it casts spells on me during races.  Either that, or there's somebody in the Bahamas with a yellow voodoo roach that likes to just fling it around the room on slow nights... ;)

Offline No Good

• bad cicada
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 28, 2012, 01:16:10 PM »
We started with Energizer rechargeables, and we had problems with switching remotes as the batteries died. The remote would die, but then would flicker and prevent the 2nd remote from connecting as Player 1. Our generic Wii controllers had this problem worse than the Wii standard remotes.

We switched to Rayovac 1400 mAh and never looked back. My first pair lasted me over a month before needing a charge. In theory, the newer 2100 mAh batteries should do even better.

One trick is to keep and use the batteries in matched pairs. We have trouble doing this here, but they do work better as a matched set with the same number of recharge cycles on them.

Offline theJudeAbides

• The Most Interesting Jerk on the Internet
  • I'm theJude, deal with it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 13, 2012, 11:49:06 PM »
I've always used the rechargeable AAs from Energizer (pretty much just a coin toss between them and Duracell).  I've always had good luck with them (although I recall having to do a few mad-scrambles to switch batteries once or twice).  As long as you pay attention to the charge and keep a charged set on hand, you'll be fine.

And definately agree with TopStar: While my original set of batteries eventually started to not charge as well and not hold their charge as much, in the time it took for this to happened, I would have probably had to pay $100s of dollars vs the $10-20 I payed for my original 8.  I've since had to buy a few new ones since, but the other great thing is: you can use them for other things, such as putting them in your camera to take pictures! :D

I suppose the ones that sit on chargers may be slightly more convenient, but at the cost of usuability (in other devices)?  I always prefer having the most options possible.
I don't always play videogames, but when I do, I prefer Excitebots.  Keep spinning, my friends.  8)
theJude's Backloggery

Offline JoomX

• I Am The
  • Administrator
  • TGC Junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 13, 2012, 11:57:20 PM »
Buy both... ;)

Offline Agent C

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 18, 2012, 05:46:01 PM »
Ok, so the 2nd Wii remote inductive charger did not work right out of the package. >:( I'm done with that option. I also think that theJude makes a good point about being able to use rechargeable batteries in other devices. I was out Xmas shopping today and bought a Targus AA battery charger that comes with four batteries(2300mAh).

What do you think No Good? ::)

Offline No Good

• bad cicada
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 20, 2012, 05:37:51 PM »
Is this the batteries?

http://www.amazon.com/Targus-Digital-TGC-CH2300-Overnight-Batteries/dp/B001AMKAS4

Reviews don't look so good, but they probably are OK. We use precharged Rayovacs exclusively now.

Offline Agent C

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 20, 2012, 08:15:36 PM »
I couldn't find the exact one on Amazon. I might return them and get the Rayovacs. This is the set that I have.

http://compare.ebay.com/like/360528390914?var=lv&ltyp=AllFixedPriceItemTypes&var=sbar

I paid less than half that price. :)

Offline Agent C

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 02, 2013, 09:59:27 PM »
Well, I ended up buying a Nyko dual charger on half off clearance for $12.48 at Target (about 10 days ago). AC adapter with NiMH battery packs. It charged both remotes in 45 minutes and I've already use the one remote for about 2 hours and it's still charged.

Ladies and gentlemen, we have a winner! ;D

Offline Bio Rex

• E-102 y
  • Soup? Sandwich? Super Sandwich! *****
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 16, 2014, 10:42:14 AM »
I got a double wiimote charger.  :P That's good for me because I RARELY play with more than one other person.
Nice Crash! *
2ds FC: 3282-4820-2614