TGC ShoutBox

Refresh History
  • Forum rules apply here! Only members can Shout.
  • FLASH: Not at all! That's not even the comic book Barry Allen, but I'm ok with Ezra Miller as the Flash. Superman is more my speed these days  8)
    Yesterday at 10:17:37 AM
  • TopStarRacer: Hey FLASH! I saw Justice League the other day. How much do you relate to FLASH? :P
    December 08, 2017, 08:45:44 PM
  • JoomX: Good to see you too, Flash.  Too bad we don't have a good game we could all get into and hang out more often...
    December 08, 2017, 01:51:51 PM
  • FLASH: Long time no see Agent C! Good to see you around! BTC wished me a Happy Thanksgiving a few weeks ago so I figured I'd check in and see what's up. Hope you all are doing well!
    December 08, 2017, 01:33:09 PM
  • JoomX: Yes it would, Top.  Miss chatting with the old crew, including Dynamo.  And hey there, Agent C, good to see you...  :)
    December 04, 2017, 12:45:57 PM
  • TopStarRacer: Now if only BIG AIR and Snooog could pop in...be nice to hear from those old farts.
    December 02, 2017, 01:14:34 AM
  • TopStarRacer: The legend himself, how is the ol' AC?  Miss racing and chatting with you!
    December 02, 2017, 01:13:34 AM
  • Agent C: ;D
    December 01, 2017, 07:33:59 PM
  • Agent C: Oh, and Nintendo Switch sucks, wouldn't buy it for $50!
    December 01, 2017, 07:33:29 PM
  • Agent C: See, been that long, forgot it tells who is saying what! :P
    December 01, 2017, 07:31:55 PM
  • Agent C: Agent C, checking in after a long time. Hope everyone is doing well. I'm still around.
    December 01, 2017, 07:30:57 PM
  • JoomX: 33rd?  Wow...
    December 01, 2017, 11:42:04 AM
  • TopStarRacer: Happy 33rd Birthday Excitebike, the one that started it all!
    November 30, 2017, 11:32:16 AM
  • TopStarRacer: Happy Turkey Day Exciteboters!
    November 23, 2017, 11:37:24 AM
  • JoomX: Happy Thanksgiving, everybody...
    November 22, 2017, 08:33:56 PM
  • JoomX: Welcome to the forums, byron332...
    November 07, 2017, 12:27:57 AM
  • JoomX: Still just a sat connection, TJ.  Never going to be anything better in this area.  Over 1,000ms ping time, would totally suck trying to play online.  For EB, I'd try it though... ;)
    October 19, 2017, 12:58:10 PM
  • theJudeAbides: Did you ever get hooked up to decent internet, Joom?  We should hop into a voice-chat some time.  I have access to a Discord channel if you're interested.
    October 18, 2017, 11:34:59 PM
  • JoomX: For now, TJ.  I keep thinking it's kind of useless now with EB gone, but keep hoping a new EB or something similar will come along.  If not, I'm sure sometime we'll have to call it a day...  :(
    October 16, 2017, 11:58:09 PM
  • theJudeAbides: Well, I'm glad you're keeping it around, Joom. :D
    October 16, 2017, 11:31:12 PM

Author Topic: 5 Things that I do and/or will miss about the EB online  (Read 1022 times)

Offline Dynam0

• View Profile
5 Things that I do and/or will miss about the EB online
« on: April 01, 2014, 01:48:51 PM »
..to name but a few..

1. Bumping into bots101 for poker
2. Bumping into an old timer (e.g. BIG AIR, Jude, Joom, Dragon, Snooog, etc.) for competitive excite racing
3. Excite Bowls, FwaLs, and similar community events
4. Making repeated name changes to the old Dynam0 profile
5. Updating the Discuss Recent Excite Races and Personal Records topics

Online JoomX

• I Am The
  • Administrator
  • TGC Junkie
  • It's all about the game...
    • View Profile
Re: 5 Things that I do and/or will miss about the EB online
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2014, 04:45:35 PM »
+1 to all of the above, Dyn.  And yeah, I'll miss seeing all the Dynam0 variations.  :P

I'm still in the middle of too many things to get on yet this week, but hopefully plan on spending as much time as possible online next week...
A computer once beat me at chess, but as it turns out it was no match for me at kickboxing... ;)

Offline Agent C

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2014, 06:34:37 PM »
My five would be.....(not in any particular order)

1. Fwal and voice chatting while racing.
2. The thrill of the bet.
3. Beelining with the rookies and coming in last place but still winning by 100 points or more.
4. Achieving new goals in the game, (high score or win count).
5. Running into bots101 for poker or another good racer in Excite mode.

I could name so many more. :(

Offline bots101

• smash-bash-crash
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2014, 11:21:37 AM »
Bot smashes/leg smashes

Mid air spin clips/landing on top of bots

Hammer smashes/cherry bombs/tambourine and botchomp collisions

Tree run gauntlets

Amazingly launched bot throws

You just can't get that without online play(except split screen...and that's no fun either).

Play to the room.

Offline bots101

• smash-bash-crash
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2014, 08:36:59 PM »
I'm also going to miss racing the best EB players in the world.
Play to the room.

Offline AwkwardRacer

• Well this is awkward...
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2014, 08:38:17 PM »
I hear ya!  :(
He who is strange...

Offline Fawful theLEGO

• Fawful was here
  • Rookie
  • VINCE or Fawful? I go by both
    • View Profile
    • Youtube Stop Motions
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2016, 01:56:15 PM »
I absolutely miss all the great competition and competitors. Especially Flash, TopStar and Jude. Always gave me a run for my money.

A mode with several racers on separate screens across North America. Split-screen Versus is just not enough for me. And I'm not saying that because no one else in my family plays the game.

Just so you know, I was known as VINCE back in the day. I 100% unlocked everything, never going to do it again. It would be a nightmare without the online betting system.

Online JoomX

• I Am The
  • Administrator
  • TGC Junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2016, 10:28:44 PM »
Indeed, Fawful, been over two years and still hardly a week goes by that I don't think about all that online racing and miss it a lot.

And I still wish somebody somewhere could come up with a way to race online that didn't involve the hacks and just worked.  Won't ever happen, but it would be nice.

Just wish I could have gotten good at the game before they shut down the servers...
A computer once beat me at chess, but as it turns out it was no match for me at kickboxing... ;)

Offline TopStarRacer

• Excite Win Junkie
  • TGC Junkie
  • Race on!
    • View Profile
    • TopStarRacer's YouTube Channel
« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2016, 08:11:33 PM »
Huh, I never took part in this topic...

1. Competition
I miss the heated rivalries between me and other top racers, trading wins with each other, and giving smack talk to each other on voice chat or in the discuss recent races thread.

2. Records
I miss seeing records being broken and new highs being reached. It's crazy how much the high scores from 2009 increased in the five years this game was online. I'll admit though, we were reaching the limits by the time online ended as most high scores required farming the whole course before the timer expired. Good times when records were being broken by 10-15 stars daily though...

3. Communication
I miss all the great ways we used to communicate in the lobby. Flashing the lobster for Poker, tipping the frog's hat for goodbye, or simply flashing the chicken because you're opponent was, well, a chicken. :P

4. Get-Togethers
Despite the online being so small and we often found ourselves racing together often, friend room events were a blast to partake in. Sure, there was a fair share of conflict but it was often worked out...if not, conflict was taken to the ice in School Finland where it would be boxed out with the crabs. :P Nowhere else you could find that, huh?

5. Jooming
Last but not least, I miss racing Joom. He would claim to be having the worst race of his life and somehow beat us by a good amount of stars. Of course Jooming still exists (just look above where he claims he wasn't good at the game haha!) but Jooming on the tracks is without a doubt missed.  ;)

Online JoomX

• I Am The
  • Administrator
  • TGC Junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2016, 09:12:08 PM »
Man, Top, I couldn't have said all that better - or as well.  I really do miss all that.  We all just seemed to have a connection in there, and it was a constant.  Not a week or a month of fun and done.  I think if the servers were still up, all of us (the old crowd) would still be in there having just as much fun as we always did.

And I'd forgotten about the "Jooming" thing, had to laugh when I read that.  I can't remember now who was the first to come up with that, wonder if anyone does?

In any case, the racing, the chats, the friendly smack talk, and the common goal of taking down the hackers was all great.  The only thing that ever came close for me was the monthly Saturday night (15 hour) Call of Duty 1 lan parties I used to host.  16 people in one house, 8 on each floor, upstairs against downstairs.  With headphones.  Back when the first COD came out.  Nothing came close to that till EB online, and voice chatting.

Well said, Top...  ;)

Offline theJudeAbides

• The Most Interesting Jerk on the Internet
  • I'm theJude, deal with it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 26, 2016, 08:44:30 PM »
Somehow I missed this thread, too, Top, and I'm not sure how.  I agree with a lot of what's been said so far...

1. The thrill of the new high score.  Nothing compares figuring some new stuff out, working it into your line, and then going online and just CRUSHING it and getting a new personal best.

2. The agony of just killing it on your first lap, and then blowing it all on the second.  Should've listened to Han Solo, "That's great kid, now don't get cocky!"

3. Coming back from a race to see a familiar face in the room (Dynam0, Joom, etc...) and knowing that it was easy-wins-time was over and that I'd have to start trying.

4. Starting a new profile and seeing how long it would take people to figure it out.

5. Figuring out someone else's new profile and telling TopStar to "book 'em." :P

Honorable mention: Having a great race, setting a new personal best, and STILL getting Joomed.  "Just wish I could have gotten good at the game before they shut down the servers..." he says. ::)
I don't always play videogames, but when I do, I prefer Excitebots.  Keep spinning, my friends.  8)
theJude's Backloggery

Online JoomX

• I Am The
  • Administrator
  • TGC Junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 27, 2016, 06:51:32 AM »
#2 on your list was always my biggest "WTH!", TJ.  A great first lap and then blowing it on the second, or totally screwing up the first lap and then the second just happens to be the best ever.  Even that kept pulling you back into the competition.  ;)

"Joomed", why didn't I ever write a song about that?  :P