TGC ShoutBox

Refresh History
  • Forum rules apply here! Only members can Shout.
  • FLASH: Not at all! That's not even the comic book Barry Allen, but I'm ok with Ezra Miller as the Flash. Superman is more my speed these days  8)
    Yesterday at 10:17:37 AM
  • TopStarRacer: Hey FLASH! I saw Justice League the other day. How much do you relate to FLASH? :P
    December 08, 2017, 08:45:44 PM
  • JoomX: Good to see you too, Flash.  Too bad we don't have a good game we could all get into and hang out more often...
    December 08, 2017, 01:51:51 PM
  • FLASH: Long time no see Agent C! Good to see you around! BTC wished me a Happy Thanksgiving a few weeks ago so I figured I'd check in and see what's up. Hope you all are doing well!
    December 08, 2017, 01:33:09 PM
  • JoomX: Yes it would, Top.  Miss chatting with the old crew, including Dynamo.  And hey there, Agent C, good to see you...  :)
    December 04, 2017, 12:45:57 PM
  • TopStarRacer: Now if only BIG AIR and Snooog could pop in...be nice to hear from those old farts.
    December 02, 2017, 01:14:34 AM
  • TopStarRacer: The legend himself, how is the ol' AC?  Miss racing and chatting with you!
    December 02, 2017, 01:13:34 AM
  • Agent C: ;D
    December 01, 2017, 07:33:59 PM
  • Agent C: Oh, and Nintendo Switch sucks, wouldn't buy it for $50!
    December 01, 2017, 07:33:29 PM
  • Agent C: See, been that long, forgot it tells who is saying what! :P
    December 01, 2017, 07:31:55 PM
  • Agent C: Agent C, checking in after a long time. Hope everyone is doing well. I'm still around.
    December 01, 2017, 07:30:57 PM
  • JoomX: 33rd?  Wow...
    December 01, 2017, 11:42:04 AM
  • TopStarRacer: Happy 33rd Birthday Excitebike, the one that started it all!
    November 30, 2017, 11:32:16 AM
  • TopStarRacer: Happy Turkey Day Exciteboters!
    November 23, 2017, 11:37:24 AM
  • JoomX: Happy Thanksgiving, everybody...
    November 22, 2017, 08:33:56 PM
  • JoomX: Welcome to the forums, byron332...
    November 07, 2017, 12:27:57 AM
  • JoomX: Still just a sat connection, TJ.  Never going to be anything better in this area.  Over 1,000ms ping time, would totally suck trying to play online.  For EB, I'd try it though... ;)
    October 19, 2017, 12:58:10 PM
  • theJudeAbides: Did you ever get hooked up to decent internet, Joom?  We should hop into a voice-chat some time.  I have access to a Discord channel if you're interested.
    October 18, 2017, 11:34:59 PM
  • JoomX: For now, TJ.  I keep thinking it's kind of useless now with EB gone, but keep hoping a new EB or something similar will come along.  If not, I'm sure sometime we'll have to call it a day...  :(
    October 16, 2017, 11:58:09 PM
  • theJudeAbides: Well, I'm glad you're keeping it around, Joom. :D
    October 16, 2017, 11:31:12 PM

Author Topic: ExciteBots Online with Homebrew  (Read 4690 times)

Offline No Good

• bad cicada
    • View Profile
ExciteBots Online with Homebrew
« on: June 10, 2014, 06:30:35 PM »
Inspired by the discussion on the Possible Hope: New Server for Racing? thread, I just finished updating both of our Wiis with Homebrew. I thought it would be a good idea to summarize the techniques involved. Before you begin, you need the following:

• SD Card - for one Wii, I used a very old 1GB SD card from an old mp3 player; for the other, I used a Transcend 8GB SDHC card (so some SDHC cards do actually work)
  • Computer that can extract *.zip file downloads onto the SD card

The process then:

• Install Homebrew - [Tutorial Download]

The tutorial video shows exactly how to do it.

• Create online access to server emulator - [Full Instructions]

You should download and then extract the following *.zip files to your SD card (these are Homebrew apps):

You need to create a connection profile for accessing the new server emulator. I strongly recommend that you create a new connection profile for connecting to emulator, manually setting its DNS server to 75.127.5.215. By creating an alternate connection profile, you can quickly switch back to your main profile when you want to use things like Netflix.

Now, insert the EB disk and the SD card, then start the Homebrew channel on your Wii.

• Play EB

Before starting EB, you need to run the two Homebrew apps:

• net_enabler: Make sure that you select the connection profile that you created for purposes of connecting to the new server emulator.
    • brainslug: This will automatically start the EB game from disk

Once EB is running, you need to create a new profile, then complete School for online access. Your new profile should connect normally, as long as the new server is up and working.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2014, 03:37:55 AM by No Good »

Offline TopStarRacer

• Excite Win Junkie
  • TGC Junkie
  • Race on!
    • View Profile
    • TopStarRacer's YouTube Channel
How to Set Up Your Wii for ExciteBots Online Play
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2014, 06:45:33 PM »
How to Set Up Your Wii for ExciteBots Online Play

A. Installing the Homebrew Channel onto Your Wii
01. On your Nintendo Wii, go to Wii Options in the bottom left corner of the screen.
02. Go to Wii Settings. Write down the System Menu Version that's located in the top right corner of the screen. (Ver. 4.3U)
03. In the Wii Settings menu, go to Internet followed by Console Information.
04. You should see your Wii's MAC Address there, write that down.
05. On your computer, go to http://please.hackmii.com/
06. On the site, make sure the correct System Menu Version is selected. Enter your MAC Address.
07. Fill out the Captcha and cut either wire (Red or Blue). The download should proceed to start.
08. Go to your Downloads folder on your computer and extract (unzip) the LetterBomb folder.
09. Insert your blank SD card into your computer. Proceed to copy the contents of the folder onto the root of the SD card.
10. Make sure your Wii is off. Insert the SD card into your Wii and turn it on. Check your Wii's Message Board and there should be a red letter with a bomb inside showing up.
11. When you see the letter, click it and the Homebrew installation should begin. If the screen freezes, make sure all the following apply:
>> You have a FAT32 or FAT formatted SD card (try both if one fails)
>> You have the boot.elf file on the root of the SD Card
>> You have a working Internet connection and have an updated Wii (4.3)
>> If nothing else, try various SD cards (even SDHC has been proven to work). If you still can't boot the Letterbomb, let us know.
12. On the warning screen regarding selling scams, press 1 to continue.
13. On the next screen to come up press Continue.
14. In the HackMii Installer, use the D-Pad on your Wiimote to go up to where it says Install the Homebrew Channel. Select it and the installation should begin.
15. Exit the Installer and go back to the Wii Menu.
16. Congratulations! The Homebrew Channel should be located on the Wii Menu.

B. Installing the Homebrew Apps to Enable Online Gameplay
01. Download this ZIP folder I provided here. (Optional but recommended; Skip steps 6-11 if you do)
This will contain all Homebrew apps and tools needed on your SD card to complete sections B and C of this guide.  On a blank SD card, copy the four folders (apps, bslug, codes, wad) onto the root of it.

SD Card File Structure
[spoiler]apps
> brainslug
> cIOSX_rev20b_Installer
> Gecko18
> IOS236
> net_enabler
> WadManagerv1.7
bslug
> modules
> symbols

codes
> RX3E01.gct
wad
> USBLoaderGX_v3.0_IOS249.wad

Blue indicates what is needed for this section.[/spoiler]

02. Manually change the Primary and Secondary DNS on your Wii. Go to Wii Settings followed by Internet.
03. You will need to create a new connection. Select a connection slot (1, 2, or 3) that you are not using and setup a connection to your internet. Once you've entered the necessary information to connect to your internet and have performed a successful connection test (Do NOT update your Wii), go to Internet > Change Settings and scroll to Auto-Obtain DNS. Click No and go to Advanced Settings.
04. Enter 75.127.5.215 into the Primary and Secondary DNS fields.
05. Save the connection settings and perform a connection test. This test will fail. The purpose of two connection settings is Connection 1 is for regular Wii online activities like Netflix, Hulu, or YouTube while Connection 2 is for connected to Polaris, the custom server that is hosting ExciteBots online. You do not want to get them mixed up.
~~~~~~~~~~Skip if step 1 was done~~~~~~~~~~
06. Insert your SD Card into your computer. Create a folder called "apps" on the root of the SD Card.
07. Download the net_enabler app for the Homebrew Channel. Unzip/extract the folder.
08. Download the brainslug app for the Homebrew Channel. Unzip/extract the folder.
09. Inside the net_enabler folder, go inside the "apps" folder and copy the folder inside called net_enabler into the apps folder on your SD Card.
10. Repeat the above step but with the brainslug folder instead.
11. In addition to this, copy and paste the folder called "bslug" onto the root of your SD Card (not inside the apps folder of the SD card).
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
12. Once you've got the net_enabler and brainslug apps installed on the SD Card and have put the brainslug folder on the SD Card as well, insert the SD Card into the Wii and go to the Homebrew Channel.
13. Click on the net_enabler app and load it. Proceed to follow the instructions on the screen regarding your connection settings. Select the appropriate connection based on which one you entered the DNS number into (Connection 1, 2, or 3). Proceed to exit to the Homebrew menu once finished.
14. Load the brainslug app. Insert the ExciteBots: Trick Racing disc. If the game loads congratulations, you're game has been patched to connect to the new server!
15. Create a new profile. To unlock Wi-Fi, go through Excite Mode and complete School Cup. Once Wi-Fi is unlocked, you can go online and begin searching for a match!
16. After the initial setup, whenever you want to play ExciteBots online, just go to the Homebrew Channel, load Brainslug, and insert the game disc! Happy racing!

C. Running ExciteBots on USB Loader GX with Online Enabled
This section is only for those that want to play ExciteBots from a USB device and not by disc. If you plan on playing ExciteBots using the disc you should have already gotten online working at the end of the previous section.
Part 1: Installing the USB Loader GX Channel
01. Download this ZIP folder I provided here. (If you haven't already; Mandatory for this section)
This folder contains everything need in Sections A and B of this guide (so some of this you've already downloaded). On a blank SD card, copy the four folders (apps, bslug, codes, wad) onto the root of it. This will help getting all the downloading steps out of the way.
02. Once you have the folders on the SD card, insert the card into your Wii.
03. Before going any further, make sure your internet settings are normal and that you aren't using the connection settings that connect to the custom server.
03. Start up the Homebrew Channel. Once loaded you should see 6 apps installed. Click and load the IOS236 Installer app (one of the apps provided in the package linked in step 1).
04. Press 1 or Y (for Gamecube controller) to install IOS236.
05. Under Getting IOS236 revison 3351, scroll to "Download IOS from NUS" and select it. Initializing network will begin. Press A to install when prompted.
06. Once successful, press any button to exit to Homebrew.
07. Next you're going to load the cIOSX rev20b Installer. (one of the apps provided in the package linked in step 1).
08. Once in the installer scroll to IOS236. Press A to continue. Press A again to agree to the disclaimer.
09. Select base IOS version to IOS56 v5661. Press A to continue.
10. Select custom IOS installation slot to be IOS249. Press A to continue.
11. Select custom IOS installation mode to be Network Installation. Press A to continue.
12. Installation will begin. Once successful, click any button to begin.
13. Select base IOS version 5o IOS38 v4123. Press A to continue.
14. Select custom IOS installation slot to be IOS250. Press A to continue.
15. Select custom IOS installation mode to be Network Installation. Press A to continue.
16. Installation will begin. Once successful, click any button to begin.
17. Press the B button to exit to the Homebrew Channel.
18. On the Homebrew Channel, scroll to and load the WAD Manager app. (one of the apps provided in the package linked in step 1).
19. Press A to agree to the disclaimer.
20. Select IOS249 and press A to continue.
21. Select NAND emulator device to Disable. Press A to continue.
22. Select source device to Wii SD Slot. Press A continue.
23. You should see your SD Card's content. Scroll down to the WAD folder and open it.
24. Select the USBLoaderGX_v3.0_IOS249.wad file. (one of the files provided in the package linked in step 1).
25. Select action to Install WAD. Installation should begin.
26. Once installation is complete, press any button to continue followed by B then the HOME button to restart.
27. On the Homebrew Channel click the Home Button and do a Shutdown of your Wii.
28. Turn your Wii back on and you should see the USB Loader GX Channel installed on your Wii Menu. Congratulations!
Part 2: Installing WBFS Manager and Formatting your USB Device
29. Now it's time to format your USB device you plan to use to read ExciteBots so the Wii can read it. You need to download WBFS Manager.
30. Go to downloads on the website and select the one that works best on your computer (x86 version for 32-bit and x64 for 64-bit PCs) Download the program and install it onto your computer.
31. Once installed, open WBFS Manager on your computer.
32. Insert the USB device you want to dedicate to store your Wii games (ExciteBots in this tutorial). 2GB is the minimum requirement for storing just ExciteBots but you may use more storage if you plan to store more games on it.
33. WARNING: Make sure the USB device is completely empty because once you format the drive in WBFS Manager, you will lose anything you have stored on it.
34. On your computer, look up what drive letter your USB device you plan to format is. Mine for example was (E:)
35. At the top of the WBFS Manager program, select the drive letter (very important!) and click Format. It will proceed to give you a warning about formatting. Make sure it's the right drive and proceed to format.
36. Once your flash drive or USB device is formatted to WBFS, take it out of the computer and insert it into the Wii. Use the slot on the right facing the back of the Wii.
37. Turn on your Wii with the USB device plugged in. Load USB Loader GX from the Wii Menu.
38. USB Loader GX will begin to load. If it says it's waiting for your USB device chances are you have it in the wrong USB slot. Just swap slots and you should succeed to the Loader's main menu.
39. When on the main menu, it should be blank (no games have been stored on the USB yet). What you need to do now is get your disc copy of ExciteBots: Trick Racing and load it into your Wii.
40. Proceed to install the disc and USB Loader GX will begin copying the ISO file of the game to the USB drive. If you drive does not work there is a way to add the game to the drive via your computer provided you are given the ISO file of ExciteBots (Send me a message and I'll provide you with the needed information).
41. Once the game has finished installing, eject the disc and you will now be able to play ExciteBots: Trick Racing off your USB device!
Part 3: Patching ExciteBots to Play Online using the Ocarina Cheat Code
42. Go to the Homebrew Channel and load the Gecko app (one of the apps provided in the package linked in step 1).
43. Scroll down to Config Options and then scroll down to Gecko Hook Type and change that to OSSleepThread. Press B to return then Exit the app.
44. Load USB Loader GX from the Wii main menu. Go to Settings in the bottom left corner of your screen.
45. Click on Loader Settings and scroll down to Ocarina and turn it ON. Exit to the Loader main menu.
46. Scroll through your list of games (or if you just have ExciteBots, click it) and go to the settings.
47. Go to Game Load and scroll down to Ocarina. Turn it ON and click Save.
48. Make sure the folder "codes" (provided in the package linked in step 1). is on your SD Card. The EX3E01.gct in that folder is important for the patching of the game.
49. Once you turned both Ocarina settings ON, you should be able to load ExciteBots: Trick Racing through USB Loader GX with the online patch applied every time! Happy racing!
50. If any issues come up or you feel this guide needs more clarification, please post in this topic and let me know! I want this setup process to be as clear as possible for everyone so we can all enjoy the ExciteBots online experience!

Credit Where Credit is Due
os_bboy
for bringing the new server project, Polaris, to our community's attention.
Those behind Polaris
for accidentally fixing ExciteBots: Trick Racing's online features while working on  Tatsunoko vs Capcom's online.
HighTeckMan on YouTube
for providing these very easy to follow videos on setting up The Homebrew Channel and USB Loader GX.
Adam Logan on YouTube
for this video here helping in my understanding of how the Ocarina code provided on Polaris could be created to a .gct file (cheat code file) and activated in USB Loader GX.
No Good and Copper
for being the first to test the functionality of ExciteBots: Trick Racing online!
Members Who Have Connected Online
  • os_bboy
  • TopStarRacer
  • No Good
  • Copper
  • FREDDY
  • XcitPup

« Last Edit: June 13, 2014, 11:29:56 AM by TopStarRacer »

Offline CodyRs

• TGC Junkie
    • View Profile
Re: ExciteBots Online with Homebrew
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2014, 07:17:13 PM »
Can you use a laptop or it has to be a PC?
My CodyRs profile is retired! 9,215 Excite Wins and 225 poker wins!

Offline TopStarRacer

• Excite Win Junkie
  • TGC Junkie
  • Race on!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2014, 07:20:23 PM »
Can you use a laptop or it has to be a PC?

Any computer will work as long as it can connect to the internet and read/write an SD card.

Offline FLASH

• FC: 0648-3542-8677
  • TGC Junkie
  • Fastest Man Alive
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2014, 09:41:10 PM »
It would work for me if my Wii was able to load the game. My Wii has been messed up for a while now and it does this thing where is starts spinning the disc then won't make the sound it makes when it is about to load the game. Instead it just stops spinning. I have heard of a few people sending their Wii in, but is there a way to do this myself so I can fix it?

Just tried cleaning it, no change. I am probably not going to send it in to Nintendo so may be looking for a new Wii soon.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2014, 10:36:28 PM by FLASH »

Offline TopStarRacer

• Excite Win Junkie
  • TGC Junkie
  • Race on!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2014, 10:44:17 PM »
It would work for me if my Wii was able to load the game. My Wii has been messed up for a while now and it does this thing where is starts spinning the disc then won't make the sound it makes when it is about to load the game. Instead it just stops spinning. I have heard of a few people sending their Wii in, but is there a way to do this myself so I can fix it?

Just tried cleaning it, no change. I am probably not going to send it in to Nintendo so may be looking for a new Wii soon.

I'm afraid I don't know how to fix your issue. My Wii makes a buzzing noise and sometimes has issues with starting up the disc (it'll make the insert noise but doesn't always start spinning, it takes a few tries). I've never experienced spinning that stops. Sending it into Nintendo is a bad option because you have Homebrew. You're best bet will likely be to buy a cheap Wii somewhere...

Offline FLASH

• TGC Junkie
  • Fastest Man Alive
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2014, 11:28:35 PM »
My Wii makes a buzzing noise and sometimes has issues with starting up the disc (it'll make the insert noise but doesn't always start spinning, it takes a few tries).
That is exactly what my problem was, but now it won't load the game at all.

Offline TopStarRacer

• Excite Win Junkie
  • TGC Junkie
  • Race on!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2014, 11:40:18 PM »
That is exactly what my problem was, but now it won't load the game at all.

This is where an ISO patch would come in handy. If only there was a way to apply Brainslug's patching to an ISO file we could just run the game through a USB Loader rather than disc (which I would prefer).

Offline No Good

• bad cicada
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2014, 03:22:19 AM »
If only there was a way to apply Brainslug's patching to an ISO file we could just run the game through a USB Loader rather than disc (which I would prefer).

The dwc_network_server_emulator wiki provides Ocarina code to use the USB loader. I know nothing of Ocarina codes, but I believe it is the same technique as the in game hackers use.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2014, 06:58:34 PM by No Good »

Offline TopStarRacer

• Excite Win Junkie
  • TGC Junkie
  • Race on!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2014, 12:29:58 PM »
The dwc_network_server_emulator wiki provides Ocarina code to use the USB loader. I know nothing of Ocarina codes, but I believe it is the same technique as the in game hackers use.

I looked into it some this morning since I'm not familiar with Ocarina either. It turns out you can run hacks through USB Loader GX which I wasn't aware of. I found a video (I'll link later) that showed how to run Ocarina codes in the USB Loader. So when I get home I may be able to run ExciteBots (online enabled) without the disc.

Offline FLASH

• TGC Junkie
  • Fastest Man Alive
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 11, 2014, 12:47:11 PM »
Let me know how that goes.

Offline Dynam0

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 11, 2014, 02:51:03 PM »
Me too. Also, someone should stick a note on gamefaqs that online isn't dead yet.

Offline FLASH

• TGC Junkie
  • Fastest Man Alive
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 11, 2014, 06:13:46 PM »
For those of you with a Wii U already, it is also possible to do all of this on the Wii U as far as I can tell. I think you would be better off doing it on the Wii since it may void your warranty for the Wii U. The only real pro for doing it on the Wii U is that it would keep all of your gaming progress on one console.

Here is the link.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ks8QFrOPoeU

Offline TopStarRacer

• Excite Win Junkie
  • TGC Junkie
  • Race on!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 11, 2014, 07:10:34 PM »
I've succeeded with using the Ocarina code to run the online-enabled ExciteBots through USB Loader GX!

If you have the Homebrew App Gecko (the program that runs in-game hacks like red bar skipping, etc.) and USB Loader GX already installed, the process is very simple. Here's a video that helped me out:

Basically:

1. Launch Gecko. Go to config options and scroll down to Gecko Hook Type. Change this to OSSleepThread and press Save config.
2. Exit Gecko and launch USB Loader GX. Go to Settings > Game Load.
3. Scroll down to Ocarina and turn it ON. Save the settings.
4. Scroll through your list of games and find ExciteBots. Click it and go to the settings for the game.
5. Go to Game Load and make sure Ocarina is turned ON (This step may not be relevant since Step 3 may have covered it for all games but just in case this will ensure ExciteBots will launch with the cheat code active...ie the online patch, every time you load the game in the USB Loader) Save the settings.

6. Now this is what differs from the video and took me a little bit to understand.  Hacks used in Gecko/Ocarina are .gct files. What you see him doing at 1:24 in the video is selecting codes to put into a .gct file for Super Mario Galaxy. We are only interested in one hack, the online patcher code, so I went online and created the .gct file for you guys to save you the work (zipped below). You need to put this file in a folder called "codes" with the folder located on the root of the SD card.

7. In theory, you should be able to get online with the "SD Card/codes/RX3E01.gct" file on your SD Card and have the Ocarina settings turned ON in USB Loader GX and with Gecko set to OSSleepThread. If you're having any issues, let me know. A more in-depth guide will be worked on...I just need to remember how to install Gecko haha.

Offline FLASH

• TGC Junkie
  • Fastest Man Alive
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 11, 2014, 08:18:07 PM »
I'm having a hard time getting USB loader on Homebrew. Can you link the video you used to get it for me?

Offline TopStarRacer

• Excite Win Junkie
  • TGC Junkie
  • Race on!
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 11, 2014, 08:34:14 PM »
I'm having a hard time getting USB loader on Homebrew. Can you link the video you used to get it for me?

I made a guide but you may be better off following this guy's instructions. His video was made 2 months after I installed USB Loader GX myself...I kind of wished I had seen this haha. He does things differently in some parts than I did but he explains the process fairly well:

Now since you don't have a working drive, you'll need to get a copy of an ExciteBots ISO file...something I could help you with with the help of Joom's FTP site was it? Haven't used it since we started putting video files up there to share several years back.

Make sure your internet settings are normal and not adjusted to the Polaris server.

Offline FREDDY

• Rookie
  • Yup, here I am...
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 12, 2014, 12:39:29 AM »
Top, your instructions were perfect.  This was a very easy and simple task.  It took us 15 minutes.  We will have XcitPup up tomorrow.  Out of time tonight.  Let's hit the track tomorrow night!

Offline TopStarRacer

• Excite Win Junkie
  • TGC Junkie
  • Race on!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 12, 2014, 01:00:01 AM »
Top, your instructions were perfect.  This was a very easy and simple task.  It took us 15 minutes.  We will have XcitPup up tomorrow.  Out of time tonight.  Let's hit the track tomorrow night!

Good to hear you found success! Just give a shoutout when the two of you are online racing and I'll be sure to join!

On another note, I attempted to put Homebrew on our other Wii using my own guide and the video No Good provided and no matter what I did, the Wii proceeded to freeze upon clicking the Letterbomb. It's a Red Wii so it's one of the newer ones. My Homebrewed Wii is a launch unit so this hacking may not work on newer Wiis.

It seems nobody here has had any issues yet but if anything comes up during Homebrew setup or when installing the Apps, please report to this topic.

Offline No Good

• bad cicada
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 12, 2014, 05:15:25 AM »
My first Homebrew install was a Red Wii with a Transcend 8GB SDHC card, formatted FAT32.

Perhaps this will help...typical suggestions seem to include double checking that it has a working Internet connection, updating the Wii, reformatting the SD card, and trying a different SD card.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2014, 05:33:34 AM by No Good »

Offline TopStarRacer

• Excite Win Junkie
  • TGC Junkie
  • Race on!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 12, 2014, 11:24:49 AM »
My first Homebrew install was a Red Wii with a Transcend 8GB SDHC card, formatted FAT32.

Perhaps this will help...typical suggestions seem to include double checking that it has a working Internet connection, updating the Wii, reformatting the SD card, and trying a different SD card.

Tried everything you listed there except the change of SD Card. I used a Transend 4GB (FAT32) SDHC Card and still had no success. I'm not going to worry over it though, I've got a working Wii with Homebrew and that's all I need.

Offline No Good

• bad cicada
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 12, 2014, 12:55:06 PM »
Top, just one more thought...the classic 2GB cards are rapidly going the way of film cameras. If you ever think you would want to finish this, you might want to go ahead and get one of those.

Offline Agent C

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 12, 2014, 08:25:59 PM »
I'm not that tech savvy but this doesn't look too hard at all. I'm sure if I had a problem Top, Flash, or others can help me out.

I will also be on the lookout for a cheap 2GB SD card.

Offline TopStarRacer

• Excite Win Junkie
  • TGC Junkie
  • Race on!
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 12, 2014, 08:59:26 PM »
I'm not that tech savvy but this doesn't look too hard at all. I'm sure if I had a problem Top, Flash, or others can help me out.

I will also be on the lookout for a cheap 2GB SD card.

It really takes less than 15 minutes if you're doing the disc method. Setting up USB Loader GX takes more steps but since you have a working disc drive you don't need to worry about Part 3 of my guide above until you're experiencing problems like Dyn and FLASH.

Also @No Good: I think I have a 2GB SD Card somewhere. I'll give a couple more SD cards a shot and report any progress.

Offline TopStarRacer

• Excite Win Junkie
  • TGC Junkie
  • Race on!
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 13, 2014, 11:48:09 AM »
Alright everyone, my guide is for the most part finished. Sections A and B are all that's required for disc-based online play while Section C is for those who's disc drives are dead or near death. Let me know here in this topic of any issues regarding the process or if you have succeeded in modding your Wii. Sections A & B combined really take less than 15 minutes to complete.

Currently only one issue may exist (will be tested tonight) and that was when XcitPup (USB Loader) and FREDDY (Disc) connected online and I attempted to search for them with no success of connecting. I was using USB Loader this time compared to when I used my disc to connect to No Good and Copper the other day. I'm not sure if that is an issue since XcitPup was using USB Loader but it's something I'll be looking into tonight when XcitPup, FREDDY, and I attempt to race.

Offline TopStarRacer

• Excite Win Junkie
  • TGC Junkie
  • Race on!
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 13, 2014, 10:46:28 PM »
XcitPup, FREDDY, and I have reached an issue with this new server. :( The three of us can't connect to each other. XcitPup and FREDDY can connect to each other fine but I search endlessly unable to connect. Same goes for friend rooms. We all exchanged FCs and see each other in friend rooms but get a communication error when trying to join.

No Good and Copper - I'd like to meet up with the two of you and see if I can still connect to you guys. Do you guys know what could be the reason behind this? How about you os_bboy?

Offline No Good

• bad cicada
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 14, 2014, 05:18:00 AM »
I don't know what could be causing this problem, but we can connect again and see what happens. I've been working an odd schedule lately, and have plans for most of today. I'll check back later and see if we can try again.

Based on my casual browsing of the code when we first tested this, the server should have logs of these events, and the server database should have records created from each user's connection.

Offline XcitPup

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 14, 2014, 12:52:27 PM »
No Good - let us know when you are going to try. FREDDY and I would like to try connecting to you as well. So far we have only connected to each other.

At least we know the Friend codes and Friend Rooms work - I was able to join a room that Freddy had created.  We just have to figure out why we can't connect with Top Star - we could see him on Standby though.

Offline XcitPup

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 14, 2014, 07:31:04 PM »
So FREDDY and I went on for a few games this afternoon.  I went on the site that shows how many users are online.  Even though we were both online and playing it only indicated one player for ExciteBots.  Maybe that could be a clue for someone who is trying to ID the problem.

Offline TopStarRacer

• Excite Win Junkie
  • TGC Junkie
  • Race on!
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 14, 2014, 07:39:56 PM »
So FREDDY and I went on for a few games this afternoon.  I went on the site that shows how many users are online.  Even though we were both online and playing it only indicated one player for ExciteBots.  Maybe that could be a clue for someone who is trying to ID the problem.

Hmm you've got me looking. Just looked at their troubleshooting for error codes. The error code 86420  (which was what we were getting trying to connect via friend room) is:

86420: A direct connection was attempted with another player but the connection failed. Possible reasons could be firewall, ports or latency.

Also according to their site, Matchmaking is a common issue among many games right now. EBTR isn't listed (yet) likely because it was fixed (sort of...) due to Tatsunoko VS. Capcom's online. The issues we are experiencing are definitely on the server end. Hopefully over time this glitch will be fixed.

BTW - how did you get that info Xcitpup? I checked all over Polaris' GitHub pages and couldn't find it.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2014, 07:48:34 PM by TopStarRacer »

Offline XcitPup

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 14, 2014, 08:13:16 PM »
I found it in site below. Sorry  for the screen shots - I'm not home and I couldn't copy and paste the links on my phone.