TGC ShoutBox

Refresh History
  • Forum rules apply here! Only members can Shout.
  • FLASH: Not at all! That's not even the comic book Barry Allen, but I'm ok with Ezra Miller as the Flash. Superman is more my speed these days  8)
    Today at 10:17:37 AM
  • TopStarRacer: Hey FLASH! I saw Justice League the other day. How much do you relate to FLASH? :P
    December 08, 2017, 08:45:44 PM
  • JoomX: Good to see you too, Flash.  Too bad we don't have a good game we could all get into and hang out more often...
    December 08, 2017, 01:51:51 PM
  • FLASH: Long time no see Agent C! Good to see you around! BTC wished me a Happy Thanksgiving a few weeks ago so I figured I'd check in and see what's up. Hope you all are doing well!
    December 08, 2017, 01:33:09 PM
  • JoomX: Yes it would, Top.  Miss chatting with the old crew, including Dynamo.  And hey there, Agent C, good to see you...  :)
    December 04, 2017, 12:45:57 PM
  • TopStarRacer: Now if only BIG AIR and Snooog could pop in...be nice to hear from those old farts.
    December 02, 2017, 01:14:34 AM
  • TopStarRacer: The legend himself, how is the ol' AC?  Miss racing and chatting with you!
    December 02, 2017, 01:13:34 AM
  • Agent C: ;D
    December 01, 2017, 07:33:59 PM
  • Agent C: Oh, and Nintendo Switch sucks, wouldn't buy it for $50!
    December 01, 2017, 07:33:29 PM
  • Agent C: See, been that long, forgot it tells who is saying what! :P
    December 01, 2017, 07:31:55 PM
  • Agent C: Agent C, checking in after a long time. Hope everyone is doing well. I'm still around.
    December 01, 2017, 07:30:57 PM
  • JoomX: 33rd?  Wow...
    December 01, 2017, 11:42:04 AM
  • TopStarRacer: Happy 33rd Birthday Excitebike, the one that started it all!
    November 30, 2017, 11:32:16 AM
  • TopStarRacer: Happy Turkey Day Exciteboters!
    November 23, 2017, 11:37:24 AM
  • JoomX: Happy Thanksgiving, everybody...
    November 22, 2017, 08:33:56 PM
  • JoomX: Welcome to the forums, byron332...
    November 07, 2017, 12:27:57 AM
  • JoomX: Still just a sat connection, TJ.  Never going to be anything better in this area.  Over 1,000ms ping time, would totally suck trying to play online.  For EB, I'd try it though... ;)
    October 19, 2017, 12:58:10 PM
  • theJudeAbides: Did you ever get hooked up to decent internet, Joom?  We should hop into a voice-chat some time.  I have access to a Discord channel if you're interested.
    October 18, 2017, 11:34:59 PM
  • JoomX: For now, TJ.  I keep thinking it's kind of useless now with EB gone, but keep hoping a new EB or something similar will come along.  If not, I'm sure sometime we'll have to call it a day...  :(
    October 16, 2017, 11:58:09 PM
  • theJudeAbides: Well, I'm glad you're keeping it around, Joom. :D
    October 16, 2017, 11:31:12 PM

Author Topic: JamesStock (aka JamesSk)  (Read 2881 times)

Offline JamesStock

• Rookie
  • Yup, here I am...
    • View Profile
JamesStock (aka JamesSk)
« on: August 15, 2014, 02:29:56 PM »
Hello. My Mii name since Jan 2007 has been JamesStock. However, Excitebots only allowed 7 characters so I went by JamesSk.

I started playing Mario Kart Wii when it first came out. While it was fun, it was also a source of frustration because I preferred to use the wheel for a more immersive gaming experience and wheel players couldn't compete with the joystick crowd at the highest level at the game (course WR and gameplay). So when ExciteBots came out I heard motion sensors were mandatory and I bot it about a week after it came out.

So I played ExciteBots from April 2009 to March 2010. I quit playing back then due to an increase in real world responsibilities. However, seeing new tracks in Mario Kart 8 made me take the plunge and I have been playing that. I prefer ExciteBots over Mario Kart because 1) everybody had to use motion controls which put everybody on even footing and 2) in ExciteBots the game is 98% skill. In ExciteBots if you had the best line and you didn't crash, you won. The best player in the world in Mario Kart isn't going to go on multiple triple digit winning streaks due to blue shells, red shells, etc.

But both MKW and ExciteBots are no longer with us. I'm not into the hacking thing. So what to play? I would prefer a game with wheel/motion sensors only. Is there anything out there that fits the bill? The message boards on the racing games are pretty dead outside of MK8 and I have heard rumours of people going online and being unable to find any racers.

The courses in MK8 looked pretty good and I did play MKW a lot before ExciteBots, so I figured I would give it a shot. They have given wheel users an automatic max in traction I have heard. This has reduced the chasm between the non-wheel and wheel users to a certain extent. However, 30/32 courses are held by non-wheel and many courses do not have the wheel in the top 10.

There is a 80% chance my workload will increase again in about a month (yes, I work now), so I don't know if I will be playing then or not. But I am playing MK8 now for a while at least so here I am. I have a pretty good time with MK8. I have been just enjoying the game and taking it for what it is rather than getting super intense about the whole matter. Also, MK8 seems to be more "skill based" in the sense of less blue shells, etc. Sandbagging has been eliminated which is a huge plus. Due to these 2 reasons, I enjoy MK8 more than MKW, but ExciteBots still remains the Gold Standard in racing for me.

So are there any good online games for the Wii U? I prefer pure skill based games where you don't get punished for practicing. MK8 is a hybrid between skill and a party game. I was thinking about Wii Tennis, but I get disconnected every 3 games for some reason. I have heard others have the same problem. How is baseball online? Any other suggestions? Racing or otherwise.

Kind regards,

JamesStock
« Last Edit: August 15, 2014, 02:35:02 PM by JamesStock »

Offline JoomX

• I Am The
  • Administrator
  • TGC Junkie
  • It's all about the game...
    • View Profile
Re: JamesStock (aka JamesSk)
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2014, 04:52:13 PM »
Hi JamesStock,

Wish you'd found the site back when we were all online and having fun with EB.  There was lots of talk about you over the years, you'd just gotten out when I got in.

I don't have a WiiU (yet), so I'm not online at all anymore.  At least for now.  If a new version of EB came out for it, I'd have one tomorrow.  Might have to check out that MK8, though.  I'm  like you, I want a skill based race game.

Anyway, I'm sure lots of people will be jumping in here shortly.  Meantime, stick around and I'm sure we'll be coming up with something.

By the way, does "Raph" ring a bell for you?  8)
A computer once beat me at chess, but as it turns out it was no match for me at kickboxing... ;)

Offline KaBoom

• Tick....Tick....KABOOM!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2014, 06:23:27 PM »
Its nice to see you on the boards James.  :D I would've really liked to have raced you before the wifi was shut off but....  ::) Anyways nice to "finally" meet you.
Kaboom!!!! Your mind was just blown.

Offline JamesStock

• Rookie
  • Yup, here I am...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2014, 07:23:39 PM »
Joom and KaBoom-Hi.

Well I haven’t played EB in 4.4 years so I am not sure if I would have had anything meaningful to contribute to the boards. Also for Raph maybe...not sure either way. I can’t even remember where I parked my car at the grocery store so you will have to excuse me if I should.

An another note on the MK vs. ExciteBots…another nice feature of EB was the Bets Won vs. Bets Lost feature. That gave people something to gun for after they completed the game (which typically took a month or so). It also had the Total Wins stat. That is nice because it gives you something else to gun for as well in the race for most Wins.

The problem with MK8 now is once you get 9999, 3 stars, gold slider, all stamps…then what?

Offline Battletanx_Commander

• Master Chef
  • Clawing my way to victory ever boost of the way...
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2014, 07:53:56 PM »
Hey it's JamesSk, good to see you around man.  ;)  Reminds me of the good ole days where you were one of the few racers who would beat me.

As for skill games I would suggest SSB4 that comes out on Wii U this holiday season but I am not sure if you are into fighting games. Plus no one knows how it will float competitive wise.
I am Truck Norris

Offline JamesStock

• Rookie
  • Yup, here I am...
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2014, 08:40:23 PM »
Hi BTC. I remember you were the 2 main competitors I had back in the day along with CodyRs. TopStar came on very strong quickly right at I was leaving. But you and Cody and I had a multi month history. Those were the games where I really had to have my A game on and focus.

As for Smash...I bot SSBB the day it came out right before MKW. I did not like online because you stood in that waiting room with a white punching bag. Then you got in a game and after the game you could wait for 1-2 minutes for the room to get filled. It was stupid. They should put you in a waiting lobby if the room had sub 4, then put you in there and keep on playing, even if it is heads up or 3 players. If somebody else came in, they can wait and get in the next game. What is so bad about playing heads up in brawl?

So I dealt with that for a few weeks, then MKW came out and online much better.

One of the few advantages of MK over ExciteBots is the 2 player online feature which is fairly important to me these days. Another "plus" is they put you in a room with people of similar skill. EB didn't have that many people playing so it wasn't a factor. But you can go online and play with people that are very much in your ballpark on a consistent basis with MK.

So are there any hardcore MK8 players in here?

Online TopStarRacer

• Excite Win Junkie
  • TGC Junkie
  • Race on!
    • View Profile
    • TopStarRacer's YouTube Channel
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2014, 09:05:23 PM »
Well look at that, the old JamesSk is still alive and well. Good to see you've found the ExciteBots cult months after the game went offline.

I have MK8 but haven't played enough of it to really get into it. I'm crossing my fingers for some sort of ExciteBots sequel like many of us but the chances are slim.

Not sure if this information matters to you but since your last post on GameFAQs (what 2010?) three more players pulled a complete ZLP in ExciteBots. BIG AIR (2011), SNOOOOG (2012), and myself (2012).

• Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2014, 09:23:18 PM »
As for Smash...I bot SSBB the day it came out right before MKW. I did not like online because you stood in that waiting room with a white punching bag. Then you got in a game and after the game you could wait for 1-2 minutes for the room to get filled. It was stupid. They should put you in a waiting lobby if the room had sub 4, then put you in there and keep on playing, even if it is heads up or 3 players. If somebody else came in, they can wait and get in the next game. What is so bad about playing heads up in brawl?

Well the with anyone WiFi wasn't the best in brawl. Friend rooms and online brawl chats were where the competitive scene flourished
I am Truck Norris

Offline JamesStock

• Rookie
  • Yup, here I am...
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2014, 11:02:47 PM »
"Good to see you've found the ExciteBots cult months after the game went offline."

The timing of this is related to the release of MK8. I thought it would be nice to race against some of the old crowd again. As for EB...I was done like dinner with that back in March 2010. After I complete a  game, I move on to other games. In fact, I am having the same problem now with MK8. I finished it on July 19 (21 days) and, as my initial post in here demonstrates, I am looking for other games to play already.

"Not sure if this information matters to you but since your last post on GameFAQs (what 2010?) three more players pulled a complete ZLP in ExciteBots. BIG AIR (2011), SNOOOOG (2012), and myself (2012)."

Did anybody do it without pulling the router plug?

BTC: as for SSBB, everybody said the FL was the way to go. But that kind of seemed tough as sometimes people wouldn't be online or whatever. Plus the whole reason why I bot the Wii was motion sensors and Brawl obviously didn't fit that bill. If I wanted to play with regular controllers, I would have bot the PS3 or XBox360 which had superior graphics, etc. Now I guess both have it. But none of the games on PS4 and XBox1 really are making me want to go out and get them.

So, in summary, I am still looking for an online game for the Wii U that uses motion sensors exclusively and is skill based if anybody has ideas. Anyway, if anybody wants to race me, you guys know my code. I'll probably be playing for the next 4 weeks or so and have tons of free time for the next week.

• Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2014, 11:18:04 PM »
BTC: as for SSBB, everybody said the FL was the way to go. But that kind of seemed tough as sometimes people wouldn't be online or whatever. Plus the whole reason why I bot the Wii was motion sensors and Brawl obviously didn't fit that bill. If I wanted to play with regular controllers, I would have bot the PS3 or XBox360 which had superior graphics, etc. Now I guess both have it. But none of the games on PS4 and XBox1 really are making me want to go out and get them.

So, in summary, I am still looking for an online game for the Wii U that uses motion sensors exclusively and is skill based if anybody has ideas. Anyway, if anybody wants to race me, you guys know my code. I'll probably be playing for the next 4 weeks or so and have tons of free time for the next week.

Ah I see.

Well with those criteria a certain game does come to mind that was revealed at E3 this year, Splatoon. It is a FPS team game that uses the GamePad quite heavily (unless you opt to play with the Wiimote+nunchuck *can't remember if you can use this control scheme*).
I am Truck Norris

Offline FLASH

• FC: 0648-3542-8677
  • TGC Junkie
  • Fastest Man Alive
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2014, 11:23:04 PM »
I like this guy.

Did you pull the router James?

Online TopStarRacer

• Excite Win Junkie
  • TGC Junkie
  • Race on!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 15, 2014, 11:32:21 PM »

I'm not sure but I don't recall any stories of BIG AIR and SNOOOOG unplugging their routers. I did it once to dodge a hacker who waited several races before speed hacking Silver Egypt on me.

Offline JamesStock

• Rookie
  • Yup, here I am...
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 16, 2014, 04:00:04 AM »
The hackers were my biggest concern. By far. You had to be on constant vigilance for them. If you were trying to put up 1000 points and weren't paying attention to what was going on, you could easily have gotten caught with your pants down.

No, I never pulled the router plug. Not my style.

BTC: FPSs give me simulation sickness.

Everybody else...what about Need for Speed Most Wanted U and Sonic and All Stars Racing Transformed?

What have you guys been playing? I can't believe you are all just sitting here waiting for ExciteBots U to come out. Surely you must be playing something.

Offline theJudeAbides

• The Most Interesting Jerk on the Internet
  • I'm theJude, deal with it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 16, 2014, 04:08:05 AM »
As I said in the shout-box, it's good to see you alive an well, James.  Unfortunately, I was just getting started with this game when you were leaving... I would have liked the chance to race with you after I got good... And yeah, even if your skills were really rusty, it still would have been nice to race you again before the shutdown.  We had a lot of fun with this game over the years and took it to places you were just beginning to explore before you left.  It's funny, looking back, to think about what we once considered amazing, unbeatable scores and how we absolutely crushed those scores since then.

You missed out on a lot of amazing, fun, and sometimes controversial discoveries over the years: the mysterious yellow bar in P. Tasmania, Axle Spins, and, over course, Red-Bar skipping (only currently know to be possible on a few courses... and yeah, this was the controversial one).

But most importantly, you missed out on voice chat, and how much that revived and rejuvenated the online game.  Tournaments were easier to set up and coordinate.  Banter and chatter was always sure to bring a smile to your face.  There were impromptu "smash-em-ups" on courses like G. Guat where you would go to the area with weapons and just smack each other around.  There were tag-team beeliner races.  Hide and go seek.  And many other silly things.  At a time when many (myself included) were considering taking your path and exiting this game, voice chat came to the rescue and lit a spark that ignited a wildfire.

I pity you, coming here now, after it's all said and done.  It's like going to a party only to find out all the beer has already been drank and everyone's already passed out on the floor.  We had a hell of a time, and I wish you could have been around for it.

As for Mario Kart 8... yeah, I'm definitely with you on that.  I played it and had some fun with it, but it's just not a game you can take seriously and really get into.  It's the kind of game you play for some quick fun and laughs, but not one you can play seriously or competitively.  I do think the item distribution in MK8 is better than MKW, but it's still a game that involves too much luck and not enough skill.  Right now, we're all waiting for the next Excitebots and biding our time until something like it surfaces.
I don't always play videogames, but when I do, I prefer Excitebots.  Keep spinning, my friends.  8)
theJude's Backloggery

Offline JamesStock

• Rookie
  • Yup, here I am...
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 16, 2014, 09:00:08 AM »
What was the mysterious yellow bar in Platinum Tasmania? I remember there was one bar out there that nobody really used. I didn't think much of it, just thinking they put it there in case somebody wanted to go on that path. We all knew about that in the first couple of weeks. Was there anything else to it? Any videos out there with it to jog my memory? I think I knew where it was.

Another weird one was Plat Guatemale I think...the rainy one? There was some stuff there about 60% thru the course, like a speed path or something which was way to the right of where everybody went. It was kind of weird how it was out there and nobody every used it ever. I tried making something out of it, but it never made sense to do so.

Well I am glad everybody had a good time with it. I was completely burnt out when I hit 8.5 mill and that last 1.5 was just a grind and felt like work. I calculated 25% of the time I was playing School Mexico and CN. It was just too much those same two courses over and over again online. I could never complain about it because I knew everybody would then pick it. But I was fed up with the spamming of those courses. MK8 did a great job with the course selection concept. You play a lot more variety and spamming is greatly reduced.

I have completed a lot of games and I don't remember really playing that many of them again once I complete them. With online play it never ends of course in less you are #1 and when you are, you have to keep practicing otherwise #2 will catch up. I wanted to retire the game I got the perfect license. But I had agreed to be in some tournament which was two weeks later so I didn't play for two weeks and at that point my heart wasn't into at all. I was always bouncing around in the top 5 for the first few months when it came out, so I was obsessed with getting to #1. So once I got it in mid Sept, it was cool to hold it for 5.5 months, but at one point I had held all the speed records, 1st place star records offline, Total Wins by a lot and WP (which it looks like it may have held to this very day). I don't think even TopStar can say he held all the speed records and 1st place star records at the same time. Of course almost all my records were broken so I could have kept on going and gotten much better. But there were other games and other things to do and I don't regret leaving at all. I am pretty good at MK8 and was likely to the be 2nd quickest wheel player in the US to hit 9999. When I hit it, I didn't see any other wheel player in the 9000s besides one guy who was 800 points ahead of me. But I am already "now what". To keep on doing the time trials and whatever is, once again, more like a job. The funnest stage of the racing games is when you first don't know anything and don't even know which was to turn. Now I am at the stage of trying to knock off 0.1 seconds a course by perfecting a drift.

One more thing...another great thing about this game was the fact that the paths were "secret". The edge in the game was knowing the best path and nobody else knew it. Any thoughts I had of coming back (1% chance) ended when I went on the internet one day and discovered Top Star had posted a bunch of videos with his secrets.

At that point the game wasn't Excitebots any more, it was Mario Kart Wii. Everybody looks at the videos and then spends hours trying to perfect their lines. The magic was gone. The magic was tooling around on your own and trying to find new paths and new tricks. I remember on one of those courses I went on a path that absolutely nobody else took. It was one of those mid level ice courses. There was a big lake or something and there was a path to the left and to the right. I would go in the middle and there was a crack in the trees and a tiny bump and you could barely squeeze thru there. But when I did it, went they went left, everybody assumed I went to the right and vice versa. I never saw a single person do my path. Not once. Now I am sure that path would be long obsolete by now, but it was so cool to do stuff that nobody else was doing. The only way I could lose would be if I crashed. Once the videos were out there, the magic was gone. I don't know why TopStar posted the videos. I think he ruined the game.

The bottom line is I was 100% obsessed with getting to #1 and having the perfect license. I achieved both of my goals and it was time to move on.

Offline JamesStock

• Rookie
  • Yup, here I am...
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 16, 2014, 11:43:09 AM »
Stig did a friend request after seeing me in a MK8 game. I accepted. I assume he is from here. I wonder how he managed to find me in the room before the friend request. Coincidence?

Offline theJudeAbides

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 16, 2014, 03:42:49 PM »
The one in P.  Tasmania was very non-obvious.  It normally didn't appear until you took this hidden jump and leapt towards it.  You had to have a good jumper like the Roach or Hummingbird, or you could never reach it.  It wasn't really a game-changer and not many took it/used it but it was just fun to have something there that not everybody knew about.

P Guat. - Yeah, I was a little slow in finding that, but most others knew about it.  There was a little pow and minor tree run.  Nobody used it though, as there were better ways to get stars and if you were behind and needed to make up time, you'd just grab the walker, dive to the ground, and run fast.

As for the sharing of secrets... not that argument again... ::)  When we first started voice chatting, TopStar was actually vehemently against it, and railed on about it regularly.  He was afraid of us sharing secrets and getting better, etc...  But as we explained to him, there's a difference between knowing the line and executing it.  You'd think, after TopStar posted his lines, that everybody would have scores that rivaled his... but very few actually do, and those that do often figured it out on their own and/or have variations of things they do.  The sharing of secrets didn't ruin the game, but helped elevate it so that even noobies could see how it was done.  I'm sure there were many who thought we were hacking or cheating, based on our scores.  But when they can see that we are, in fact, just really good, they can then say, "well, if I practice hard, I can be good too."  And instead of quitting or hacking, they become a great new racer to play against, and we could never have enough of those.  TopStar came to see this in time, and was better for it as well.  As you stated and we all agree: this is a game of skill.  Every time you go into a race, the person who's going to win is the person who can execute their line the best... even if it is the same line (and it very rarely was... even after TopStar posted his lines).
I don't always play videogames, but when I do, I prefer Excitebots.  Keep spinning, my friends.  8)
theJude's Backloggery

Offline CodyRs

• TGC Junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 16, 2014, 04:20:53 PM »
Well James nice to see you again! And I still can't believe you ended up with the most wins on your ZLP. Only if SNOOOOG never disappeared I bet he could have taken the most wins away. But all in all glad to see you're doing good.

As of getting a Wii U for me probably wont happen unless a sequel to EBTR comes out. Then I'll have one ASAP. Same as Joom.
My CodyRs profile is retired! 9,215 Excite Wins and 225 poker wins!

Offline JamesStock

• Rookie
  • Yup, here I am...
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 16, 2014, 04:56:04 PM »
Hey Cody. You were my archrival for many months.

The Jude:

It sounds like you sold TopStar a load of goods. Nice sales job and my hat is off to you guys for convincing him.

"Hey TopStar. Tell us most of your secrets that you spend hundreds of hours discovering so we can beat you because we are too lazy to do it ourselves."
TopStar-"No Way"
Everybody else "Come on. It will make the game better."
TopStar "Uh...OK."

I wouldn't have told you guys how to farm a single star. In fact...I was always paranoid that you guys would tag along behind me and steal my lines. I pondered on how to circumvent that as some were doing just that. It was frustrating to come up with an innovative line and start to get beat a month later on the same line I invented. Then people copy the copiers and the secret slowly gets out.  Then I came up with an idea.  I would introduce a ranking system so everybody was ranked on how they did vs. me. Since most people only saw me about once a week, when they did race, they were totally focused on doing well and only gave a cursory look to see what I was up to. This worked brilliantly as most people didn't follow me that much.

Another thing I did was I never went into your races when you guys would get together. I tried to keep it to once a month ExciteBowl. If I raced against you guys every day, you would figure out what I was doing pretty fast.

Col Sanders got rich by selling chicken, not by giving away his recipe for free.

In my opinion, the most important stat was the offline 1st place star records. Generally, the person who controlled those records was the best racer. I am not so high on the online records as there are other variables that come into play. Like you can get your buddy to race and drag out the clock, etc. But offline everybody was on the same page.

Anyway, at the end, did anybody ever do much innovation after TopStar? Obviously there is a difference of opinion between me and you with respect to innovation vs. execution. To me, execution is boring and tedious. Grinding. Innovation was what made EB so great compared to MK. It was very exciting back in the day to have everybody working on their lines in top secret. Nobody used to say anything and people were coming up with new stuff all the time. It was really unchartered territory which is why the game held my interest for so long.

Offline JamesStock

• Rookie
  • Yup, here I am...
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 16, 2014, 05:06:40 PM »
On another note...playing MK8 today, I forgot about another advantage of EB vs. MK...no clans. It is annoying to be in a room with 3 other 9000 players all in the same clan and me and the rest of the room is 7000 or whatever. Guess who is going to get a lot of stuff thrown at him? This was happening to me all afternoon. At EB clans are not effective.

I have a love/hate relationship with MK. In my first post I asked what else is out there. I really haven't gotten a strong response which is kind of surprising. It seems that you guys are all sitting around waiting for EB U to come out. Unless somebody here knows something I don't, this is quite unlikely with sales of 200K. The math doesn't work out for a sequel

I understand the tepid response on here to MK8 as I can love it or get frustrated. My main source of frustration is I am the only wheel user in most 9000 rooms and it gets on my nerves. I am trying to play a game where I am on the same level and I want it to be motion sensor. It doesn't look like anybody has any ideas. I thought this would be a good place to go find out since you guys are sans EB. The party aftermath analog somebody used earlier fits the vibe in here.

In summary, I am looking for something better than MK8 as well. But in the meantime, I guess it is what I've got.

Offline FLASH

• TGC Junkie
  • Fastest Man Alive
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 16, 2014, 08:59:52 PM »
It sounds like you sold TopStar a load of goods. Nice sales job and my hat is off to you guys for convincing him.

"Hey TopStar. Tell us most of your secrets that you spend hundreds of hours discovering so we can beat you because we are too lazy to do it ourselves."
TopStar-"No Way"
Everybody else "Come on. It will make the game better."
TopStar "Uh...OK."

Anyway, at the end, did anybody ever do much innovation after TopStar?
This irks me on many levels. Don't get me wrong, this community appreciates what you did for this game, but you were here for a year. You barely scratched the surface of what this game has to offer.

You are currently ranked 20th all time for playing this game... referenced here http://www.thegamecommunity.com/forums/index.php?topic=1648.0

Simply put, you just don't even come close to the level of play that was achieved through this game. It is extremely unfair to say TopStar ruined this game. You weren't here so you don't understand that the game was on the brink of destruction because of new players thinking we were hacking because of the scores we put up. We almost had no choice but to show that it is possible to achieve the scores we have. We were also looking to promote Excitebots in a positive way to help grow interest which actually did end up happening, so there is a positive.

As for the innovation after TopStar... I could go on and on about who all contributed what to this game. This game can still be innovated to find new lines to take. We didn't max out everything we could and that shows the beauty and depth to this game.

We have achieved score that beat you out by 330 stars. I think this game didn't lack any innovating.  ;)

Back to the lazy thing. None of the regular vets were lazy and like I said before, we all contributed something new to this game in some way. You say you beat the game and moved on, but there are so many ways to play the game that you really didn't beat much of anything in this game. It is a cool accomplishment to have a ZLP and be the first to do it. I applaud your achievement, but please don't come back years later after hardly contributing much to this game and accuse players of ruining the game or having a lack of innovation.

Depending on how long you stay on this site, you will find just how tight-nit and passionate we are as a community. We all love this game deeply so please understand if my post comes across as standoffish.

And people (especially theJude)  ;) seem to still recognize TopStar as the best at this game. After years of bickering we came to the conclusion that there is no one single best player. There are many different aspects to the game so it is unfair to say there is one single best player.

Offline JamesStock

• Rookie
  • Yup, here I am...
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 16, 2014, 11:08:43 PM »
“You are currently ranked 20th all time for playing this game”
There are only two stats the ExciteBots keeps track of. Wins and Bets Won/Bets Lost.
If somebody can be so kind to tell me my final ranking in these two categories it would be greatly appreciated.

“It is extremely unfair to say TopStar ruined this game.”
I should have said “He ruined the game for me”.

“You weren't here so you don't understand that the game was on the brink of destruction because of new players thinking we were hacking because of the scores we put up. We almost had no choice but to show that it is possible to achieve the scores we have. We were also looking to promote Excitebots in a positive way to help grow interest which actually did end up happening, so there is a positive.”
This deeply troubles me on so many levels. It smacks of a socialist propaganda “everybody gets a trophy” mentality. It is the same crap in Mario Kart now…people are all whining about the item distribution because if they suck they can’t win anymore. No lightning/bullet combo to save the day. My attitude would have been I want to be everybody to go run home to their mommy. If I could have gotten everybody to quit the game in disgust, I would have gotten immense satisfaction from that. The objective is to win, not to help out your opponent. There is absolutely no doubt that TopStar giving away his secrets made it more difficult for him win. This is all socialist bullcrap. The individual that toils hard has to give away his hard labor “for the good of the community.” Well…screw the community. I want to win and could care less about the community. If I am so good that I can’t find anybody to play with…so be it.

“Depending on how long you stay on this site, you will find just how tight-nit and passionate we are as a community. We all love this game deeply so please understand if my post comes across as standoffish.”
Guys…ExciteBots is dead. You guys need to move on with your lives. It is over. You guys are like a girl who got dumped by her boyfriend and is staying in the house with the shades down. Go play other games. I have been playing a lot of Wii Party U and having a blast. ExciteBots was my favorite videogame of all time, but it is over and done with now. So I am playing Mario Kart and try to drum up some interest to get some races going. Looks like I got one friend out of this…by the way who is Stig?  I am also looking around to see what else is out there. That is why I am here, hoping you guys would have some ideas. Come on guys…cheer up…you guys are starting to scare me. There are other great games out there. Have some fun. Every online videogame dies. You got to get a new console and get something else and play it. The computer tech and graphics are always better. I am still looking for that perfect game to make it my hobby but not sure what it will be at this point. Anyway…get another game. So, MK8 isn’t EB, but what the hell, I have intense intense games on that all day. It is 10x more competitive than EB in the sense you can go on there pretty much any time of day or night and find 7-9 9000 players in a room who can do very, very well. Is it possible that some who were top 10 in one game don’t want to play another racing game and be Mr. Average Joe? Not accusing, just wondering what is going on. I sure as hell am no great MK8 player but who cares.

“And people (especially theJude)   seem to still recognize TopStar as the best at this game. After years of bickering we came to the conclusion that there is no one single best player. There are many different aspects to the game so it is unfair to say there is one single best player.”
This I don’t get…who won the ExciteBowls? End of story. Whoever won it is the best for that month.

Here is another question…I created the concept of the offline 1st place star records. Who holds most of those records? Last I saw it was TopStar a few years ago but I can’t find it here. That is where the innovation lies, right there.

Obviously I have struck a nerve. My main intention here is to 1) get some people to race and 2) find out if there any other good videogames out there, preferably racing. I felt I would tell my tale as well since I have not posted in over 4 years. Looks like I ruffled at least one feather. That is OK, you have your opinions and I have mine. My bad in calling people lazy though. I'd take that back but leave the rest. Besides…all the EB talk is moot anyway, right?

Offline JoomX

• I Am The
  • Administrator
  • TGC Junkie
  • It's all about the game...
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 16, 2014, 11:29:07 PM »
Just to get it on the record, I would be the one who originally argued the point of transparency back in 2010.  Top was firmly against it, as was most of the regulars (vets), but I didn't give up and eventually things started to open up to the general public.  Finally culminating in the videos.

Top and I had our differences and 'discussions' over the issue, but I always respected him as being one of the most dedicated people I've ever seen to a game.  And probably the best thing that happened to the game as far as keeping it going as long as it did.  If there was a "Mr. ExciteBots", it would be him.

But yeah, I'm probably the guy to blame for the eventual spilling of secret lines and tricks...
A computer once beat me at chess, but as it turns out it was no match for me at kickboxing... ;)

Offline JamesStock

• Rookie
  • Yup, here I am...
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 17, 2014, 12:16:03 AM »
Well good for you guys. I don't understand why he would do it, really. I am just baffled by the whole matter. When I saw those videos up on YouTube I was like "WTF is he thinking". I just shook my head.

You guys should go into sales.

I don't like my tenor in these posts as I sound like a douchebag when I read them, but I really truly am saying that I really enjoyed the whole espionage of everybody doing their secret lines. It was immensely satisfying to come up with a secret line offline and implement that online and see the positive results. That was what made the game so cool...there was no Mario Kart World Record videos to see what the hell that guy was doing to put up those points. You had to figure it out yourself.

In my opinion, THAT was what made the game so great. Once the everybody knows the magician's secret, the thrill is over.

Online TopStarRacer

• Excite Win Junkie
  • TGC Junkie
  • Race on!
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 17, 2014, 02:25:20 AM »
What have you guys been playing? I can't believe you are all just sitting here waiting for ExciteBots U to come out. Surely you must be playing something.

For myself I have been spending my time playing Pokemon Y for the 3DS. Ever since it's release back in October 2012 I've gotten into competitive battling. Game Freak did a great job at making competitive Pokemon more obtainable than in previous generations of the series thus grabbing my interest. I'm really hyped for Pokemon OmegaRuby and AlphaSapphire as they'll be the remakes of the first generation of Pokemon games I ever played. It doesn't sound like your a Pokemon type of guy but that's what I've been gaming on in my free time.

but at one point I had held all the speed records, 1st place star records offline, Total Wins by a lot and WP (which it looks like it may have held to this very day). I don't think even TopStar can say he held all the speed records and 1st place star records at the same time.

You introduced those records so doesn't that mean you held them all at once to begin with?

One more thing...another great thing about this game was the fact that the paths were "secret". The edge in the game was knowing the best path and nobody else knew it. Any thoughts I had of coming back (1% chance) ended when I went on the internet one day and discovered Top Star had posted a bunch of videos with his secrets.

At that point the game wasn't Excitebots any more, it was Mario Kart Wii. Everybody looks at the videos and then spends hours trying to perfect their lines. The magic was gone. The magic was tooling around on your own and trying to find new paths and new tricks. I remember on one of those courses I went on a path that absolutely nobody else took. It was one of those mid level ice courses. There was a big lake or something and there was a path to the left and to the right. I would go in the middle and there was a crack in the trees and a tiny bump and you could barely squeeze thru there. But when I did it, went they went left, everybody assumed I went to the right and vice versa. I never saw a single person do my path. Not once. Now I am sure that path would be long obsolete by now, but it was so cool to do stuff that nobody else was doing. The only way I could lose would be if I crashed. Once the videos were out there, the magic was gone. I don't know why TopStar posted the videos. I think he ruined the game.

I was very much against sharing secrets and posting videos early on myself. I spent hours improving my lines aiming to become better than you and everyone else that I played. I succeeded in that goal but because I loved this game so much, I kept playing and improving.

I started sharing videos after I won over 10,000 races online. I was tinkering with the idea of retiring from the game (didn't quite happen) so passing on the stuff that kept me on top felt like the thing to do. Sure competing would get harder (it did eventually but I don't believe it increased in difficultly solely because of what I uploaded) but I welcomed the challenge.

As FLASH mentioned, videos also provided a positive advertisement for this game. Nobody knows about this game and videos were a great way to show that this game is more than what the box art is trying to sell.

“You are currently ranked 20th all time for playing this game”
There are only two stats the ExciteBots keeps track of. Wins and Bets Won/Bets Lost.
If somebody can be so kind to tell me my final ranking in these two categories it would be greatly appreciated.

If you think those stats are any display of your skill vs. the rest us, you couldn't be more wrong. Sure, the rankings we developed is far from perfect but I feel it worked well in accomplishing what it was supposed to do and that was keep this community active. You may be ranked #1 in WP and #5 in wins but you are #20 or perhaps lower skill wise. You aren't top 5 material by a long shot.

Here is another question…I created the concept of the offline 1st place star records. Who holds most of those records? Last I saw it was TopStar a few years ago but I can’t find it here. That is where the innovation lies, right there.

You can find all the Super Excite 1st Place Star Records here as well as all 500 All Bots/All Courses records.

The objective is to win, not to help out your opponent. There is absolutely no doubt that TopStar giving away his secrets made it more difficult for him win. This is all socialist bullcrap. The individual that toils hard has to give away his hard labor “for the good of the community.” Well…screw the community. I want to win and could care less about the community. If I am so good that I can’t find anybody to play with…so be it.

No community = no racers
No racers = No races
No races = No fun

Offline theJudeAbides

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 17, 2014, 03:43:12 AM »
I don't like my tenor in these posts as I sound like a douchebag when I read them, but I really truly am saying that I really enjoyed the whole espionage of everybody doing their secret lines. It was immensely satisfying to come up with a secret line offline and implement that online and see the positive results. That was what made the game so cool...there was no Mario Kart World Record videos to see what the hell that guy was doing to put up those points. You had to figure it out yourself.

In my opinion, THAT was what made the game so great. Once the everybody knows the magician's secret, the thrill is over.

That's what made the game great originally, I think.  Finding all the little thing by yourself IS a lot of fun, and we still encourage people to do so.  However, sooner or later, you're going to hit a wall, and that's when the frustration really kicks in, and many quit.  The scores the top players (like TopStar, FLASH and Cody) would put up just seemed completely out of reach for newer players, and even older vets like myself found it extremely difficult to keep up (some of us have jobs and lives, too).  The videos helped provide a ideas and inspiration for those in need of it.

No, TopStar, didn't have to do it, but he did anyway, and I think it speaks to his character that he did.  It was generous of him and all of us here recognize it.  (And just so Flash doesn't hate me too much, he posted videos, too, and they were helpful. ;))

When I see you talk about how you were paranoid of people stealing your lines and guarding them enviously... when I see you talk about how you only cared for your own wins and nothing else... it just seems selfish.  Let me ask you this: how many times did you give a noobie with nary a win to his name their first win?  Let them feel that thrill of victory if only for a moment?  What would it have cost you?  A little bit of time?  Joom, the man who runs this place but says very little, did this ALL THE TIME!  He'd cater his racing style to them, beelining with the runners, farming with the farmers, and whatever else people might do.  He cared not for his wins count, and I guarantee you, if you added up all his wins across all his systems and profiles (past, present, and deleted), they would dwarf your measly count.  Yet he never bragged about it or even bothered to keep track of it.  The only time it ever got updated is when TopStar or I would jot it down.

Competition is a good thing, but so is good sportsmanship.  Being the best is also a good thing, I strive for it too in my daily life.  But when you can give something back, when you can commit to something bigger than yourself and as a result be impoved by it, that is Greatness.  TopStar knows this.  Joom knows this.  FLASH knows this, and so does everyone else here.  I just wish you could see it.
theJude's Backloggery

Offline JamesStock

• Rookie
  • Yup, here I am...
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 17, 2014, 04:16:47 AM »
The results are in and the winner of best license is...

JamesSk!

Offline theJudeAbides

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 17, 2014, 11:38:04 AM »
That's a matter of opinion, and I disagree.  You earned your ZLP in different times, when things were MUCH, MUCH easier.  You could always go on and find rooms with noobies to farm wins and bets won off of.  Hackers were very rare, and people weren't gunning to ruin it (they may have been trying to beat you score-wise, but they weren't out to DNF you).

I look at BIG AIR's zAIRo account and say: That was the hardest-earned ZLP in the history of the game.  I forget how many attempts he made, but I know he got FAR several times (well over 5 million bets won) before losing them.  He faced hackers and glitches and pure, unadultered heartbreak.  Yet he never gave up, and in the end, he finally got it.

And you think TopStar got his easy-peasy?  That dude had everyone and their brother trying to dnf him by any means possible, including hacking, glitching, and red-bar skipping.  He faced down FLASH and Cody regularly, and other vets as well.  Most noobies would flee any time he entered the room, making it harder and harder to get bets won, yet he still found a way.

And while we're on the subject of TopStar, his original 12000+ (or was it 13000+) profile, to me, is far more impressive than yours.

And of course, everybody knows that the coolest, most baller ZLP was GOOOONS, because that's just the way SNOOOOG rolls. 8)

And last but not least, let's not forget "theZero," an account so hipster, is was so over ZLPs before it ever got close to it's 9s.  Everybody knows that's the "best" account ever!! :P :D :P
theJude's Backloggery

Offline bots101

• smash-bash-crash
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 17, 2014, 12:51:40 PM »
Hi James. Back in the day I was !DANNO!  I was early to the game, but, late to the forums.  joined Gamespot at the same time you retired.  Was sad to see you leave.
I began playing EB about 2 months after its release...and I played it to the end.  I didn't play for numbers or records, I played for the fun and joy it brought me.  I've quoted many times...“the learning never ends in EB”.  In all the years of racing I never was one of the greats...just very good.  And was content with that.
This forum made this game better.  Every racer that found this site were glad they joined.  We've had some good times over the years and there is no doubt this game is sorely missed.  I'm glad I played the whole 5 years.  Met a lot of folks here and made friends here.  That's what I miss most...we loved this game.  We're just all taking a break for now till the next big thing comes out...like a new Excite U.  And I will race that till the end.

As for TOPSTAR.  We all thank him for all the record and score keeping over the years.  All the online records are closed forever.  This is EBs legacy.

Let this be a lesson for all of us.  When a new Excite comes out you're probable gonna have less than 5 years to play online.  Make the most of it.

So long fellow racers...for now.

Play to the room.

Offline RATROD

• CRASHER/RACER
  • You have located the RAT
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 17, 2014, 01:46:54 PM »
The results are in and the winner of best license is...

JamesSk!
:)) :)) :)) It's nice but not the best that's for sure  :P :P
RATROD THE OTHER HOTROD :P  :o  :P

Offline FLASH

• TGC Junkie
  • Fastest Man Alive
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: August 17, 2014, 02:22:15 PM »
This deeply troubles me on so many levels. It smacks of a socialist propaganda “everybody gets a trophy” mentality. It is the same crap in Mario Kart now…people are all whining about the item distribution because if they suck they can’t win anymore. No lightning/bullet combo to save the day. My attitude would have been I want to be everybody to go run home to their mommy. If I could have gotten everybody to quit the game in disgust, I would have gotten immense satisfaction from that. The objective is to win, not to help out your opponent. There is absolutely no doubt that TopStar giving away his secrets made it more difficult for him win. This is all socialist bullcrap. The individual that toils hard has to give away his hard labor “for the good of the community.” Well…screw the community. I want to win and could care less about the community. If I am so good that I can’t find anybody to play with…so be it.

Guys…ExciteBots is dead. You guys need to move on with your lives. It is over. You guys are like a girl who got dumped by her boyfriend and is staying in the house with the shades down.
Socialist propaganda? How to I even respond to that? You have a very skewed view of things, but to each his own.

Let me give you a comparison to the situation you are calling "socialist propaganda."

I play baseball and am a fan of historical players. It's kind of like Excitebots. You were the Babe Ruth of you're generation. (I'm being rather generous) Babe probably wouldn't even be an average player by today's standards. Let me get back on track. Babe Ruth once said, "Baseball is the greatest game in the world, and deserves the best you can give it."
That is exactly what we were trying to achieve. We trying to help produce better players and give the game the best we have to offer. We wanted to see how far we could take it. You took the selfish approach out of fear of one day being surpassed.

We created an environment more closely related to Capitalism rather than Socialism.
Let me explain.

It's like the American Dream, starting off small then making it big! We equipped everyone with equal opportunity to become the best racer than can be. Like all things in life, you get out what you put it. You say everyone get's a trophy, but instead everyone got a level playing field. What they chose to do, or in most cases not do, is up to them. If they aren't getting the scores they want it's because they didn't work for it. If they do get the scores they want then it's because they worked for it. We simply provided a means for inspiration. We showed Excitebots has more depth than one would think as apparent by your lack of contribution to the game.

You like to sit up on you're high horse, but you are only a has been. I wish Ebots was still online that way we could race as I'm liable to beat you with any bot, any course, and on your best day.

It's true what tJ said, you won your ZLP when nobody knew to look for it. it wasn't as big then as it was the last few years of this game lifetime. ZLP's have sinced been achieved with the average room consisting of 2-3 players with twice the skill level of you. The competition was through the roof. And even with that competition, we had players nearly achieve a ZLP in under 2,000 wins. You were a big fish in a small pond. Come to the ocean my friend, you won't last a day.

I hope we all can find a new game to play, preferably a skill based racing game. It would be interesting to see how we would match up.

Offline Agent C

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 17, 2014, 07:35:35 PM »
Welcome to the site JamesSk. Yes, I heard a lot about you over the years. I didn't get EB until July of 2011 but I played it until the shutdown.

It looks like you caused a few riffs in here but I view it as a good thing because this place has been a ghost town. :-X

I'm still open to any new games that the community wants to get into on any console. I don't think MK8 is worth buying a Wii U. I want to have more voice chat sessions with everyone and catch up and discuss things.

I really haven't been playing much video games lately, but I do miss EB. I'm still around guys, I hope you all are doing well.

Offline Dynam0

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 18, 2014, 01:33:10 PM »
Hello, JamesStock. Perhaps you remember me, or my original alias, insect0. I have been playing quite a bit of MK8 lately. I would be happy to have a friendly race or two. My coordinates and those of a few others are at http://www.thegamecommunity.com/forums/index.php?topic=1726.msg14343#msg14343.

Perhaps Feeble would like to join in.