TGC ShoutBox

Refresh History
  • Forum rules apply here! Only members can Shout.
  • FLASH: Not at all! That's not even the comic book Barry Allen, but I'm ok with Ezra Miller as the Flash. Superman is more my speed these days  8)
    Yesterday at 10:17:37 AM
  • TopStarRacer: Hey FLASH! I saw Justice League the other day. How much do you relate to FLASH? :P
    December 08, 2017, 08:45:44 PM
  • JoomX: Good to see you too, Flash.  Too bad we don't have a good game we could all get into and hang out more often...
    December 08, 2017, 01:51:51 PM
  • FLASH: Long time no see Agent C! Good to see you around! BTC wished me a Happy Thanksgiving a few weeks ago so I figured I'd check in and see what's up. Hope you all are doing well!
    December 08, 2017, 01:33:09 PM
  • JoomX: Yes it would, Top.  Miss chatting with the old crew, including Dynamo.  And hey there, Agent C, good to see you...  :)
    December 04, 2017, 12:45:57 PM
  • TopStarRacer: Now if only BIG AIR and Snooog could pop in...be nice to hear from those old farts.
    December 02, 2017, 01:14:34 AM
  • TopStarRacer: The legend himself, how is the ol' AC?  Miss racing and chatting with you!
    December 02, 2017, 01:13:34 AM
  • Agent C: ;D
    December 01, 2017, 07:33:59 PM
  • Agent C: Oh, and Nintendo Switch sucks, wouldn't buy it for $50!
    December 01, 2017, 07:33:29 PM
  • Agent C: See, been that long, forgot it tells who is saying what! :P
    December 01, 2017, 07:31:55 PM
  • Agent C: Agent C, checking in after a long time. Hope everyone is doing well. I'm still around.
    December 01, 2017, 07:30:57 PM
  • JoomX: 33rd?  Wow...
    December 01, 2017, 11:42:04 AM
  • TopStarRacer: Happy 33rd Birthday Excitebike, the one that started it all!
    November 30, 2017, 11:32:16 AM
  • TopStarRacer: Happy Turkey Day Exciteboters!
    November 23, 2017, 11:37:24 AM
  • JoomX: Happy Thanksgiving, everybody...
    November 22, 2017, 08:33:56 PM
  • JoomX: Welcome to the forums, byron332...
    November 07, 2017, 12:27:57 AM
  • JoomX: Still just a sat connection, TJ.  Never going to be anything better in this area.  Over 1,000ms ping time, would totally suck trying to play online.  For EB, I'd try it though... ;)
    October 19, 2017, 12:58:10 PM
  • theJudeAbides: Did you ever get hooked up to decent internet, Joom?  We should hop into a voice-chat some time.  I have access to a Discord channel if you're interested.
    October 18, 2017, 11:34:59 PM
  • JoomX: For now, TJ.  I keep thinking it's kind of useless now with EB gone, but keep hoping a new EB or something similar will come along.  If not, I'm sure sometime we'll have to call it a day...  :(
    October 16, 2017, 11:58:09 PM
  • theJudeAbides: Well, I'm glad you're keeping it around, Joom. :D
    October 16, 2017, 11:31:12 PM

Author Topic: This was fun...  (Read 487 times)

Online JoomX

• I Am The
  • Administrator
  • TGC Junkie
  • It's all about the game...
    • View Profile
This was fun...
« on: October 23, 2014, 11:01:12 PM »
Stupid, but fun.  Kinda cool to watch some new rookies just having fun in there.  Man I miss that...

A computer once beat me at chess, but as it turns out it was no match for me at kickboxing... ;)

Offline theJudeAbides

• The Most Interesting Jerk on the Internet
  • I'm theJude, deal with it.
    • View Profile
Re: This was fun...
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2014, 11:03:57 PM »
And nary a spin to be had.  This is too painful for me to keep watching... SO MUCH NOOB!! :D :P

Despite the fact that it sounded about like 8 year olds, this is one thing that I really think Excitebots is missing: the ability to cast games.  For anybody even a little bit familiar with Starcraft, you'll know that the game really took off when they gained the ability to save and send replays, which showed EXACTLY what each player was doing (not the predictive nonsense that Excitebots had that most often got things wrong).  Go look up (on youtube) someone named "Husky Starcraft" and watch some of his casts.  He provides entertaining and often insightful casts of professal-level games.  And he's not the only one out there doing it, either... not by a long shot.

I remember reading an article once about the things games need to do to remain relevant and competitive over a long period of time.  Excitebots did a few of those things, and the community here helped further it.  But there were still things that we simply could never do, because we couldn't.  Things like casting.  Imagine not just having a tournament, but then sending the replays to someone who then cast the races and posted them on youtube.  Think of how our community could have grown out of such things!  Yes, TopStar and others' videos were a good start, but those always showed "alone by yourself on a perfect (or near perfect) run."  What makes casting real, live games so interesting is that people mess up and make mistakes.  People do different things.  It is this imperfection and variation that makes things so interesting (as we all know) and really, end up being much more insightful to new racers than some perfect line that you'll never be able to run online anyways.

I really hope that, if/when Monster Games comes out with a sequel/successor to this game, they realize how competitive this game can be and how interesting the variation makes the match-ups.  I hope they realize that they need to balance the different vehicles so that they're ALL useable in a competitive environment, instead of only a handful.  They'll also need to balance all the maps so that each bot is useable on all of them.  And they need to add the ability to save and send ACCURATE replays of online games that shows EXACTLY what each racer was doing, thus enabling the ability to cast games.  There are some other things, too, that would help (like releasing it globally and advertising it), but, to me, these are the core things they need to do.

People think that Excitebots was a great improvement over Excite Truck, and it was, but I still see so much room for improvement in this game and, if done right, could lend itself to the type of lasting competitive gaming that only a handful of games, like Starcraft, have achieved.
I don't always play videogames, but when I do, I prefer Excitebots.  Keep spinning, my friends.  8)
theJude's Backloggery

Offline Bio Rex

• E-102 y
  • Soup? Sandwich? Super Sandwich! *****
    • View Profile
Re: This was fun...
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2014, 09:25:56 AM »
This is a little painful even for a greenhorn like me.
Nice Crash! *
2ds FC: 3282-4820-2614