TGC ShoutBox

Refresh History
  • Forum rules apply here! Only members can Shout.
  • FLASH: Not at all! That's not even the comic book Barry Allen, but I'm ok with Ezra Miller as the Flash. Superman is more my speed these days  8)
    Yesterday at 10:17:37 AM
  • TopStarRacer: Hey FLASH! I saw Justice League the other day. How much do you relate to FLASH? :P
    December 08, 2017, 08:45:44 PM
  • JoomX: Good to see you too, Flash.  Too bad we don't have a good game we could all get into and hang out more often...
    December 08, 2017, 01:51:51 PM
  • FLASH: Long time no see Agent C! Good to see you around! BTC wished me a Happy Thanksgiving a few weeks ago so I figured I'd check in and see what's up. Hope you all are doing well!
    December 08, 2017, 01:33:09 PM
  • JoomX: Yes it would, Top.  Miss chatting with the old crew, including Dynamo.  And hey there, Agent C, good to see you...  :)
    December 04, 2017, 12:45:57 PM
  • TopStarRacer: Now if only BIG AIR and Snooog could pop in...be nice to hear from those old farts.
    December 02, 2017, 01:14:34 AM
  • TopStarRacer: The legend himself, how is the ol' AC?  Miss racing and chatting with you!
    December 02, 2017, 01:13:34 AM
  • Agent C: ;D
    December 01, 2017, 07:33:59 PM
  • Agent C: Oh, and Nintendo Switch sucks, wouldn't buy it for $50!
    December 01, 2017, 07:33:29 PM
  • Agent C: See, been that long, forgot it tells who is saying what! :P
    December 01, 2017, 07:31:55 PM
  • Agent C: Agent C, checking in after a long time. Hope everyone is doing well. I'm still around.
    December 01, 2017, 07:30:57 PM
  • JoomX: 33rd?  Wow...
    December 01, 2017, 11:42:04 AM
  • TopStarRacer: Happy 33rd Birthday Excitebike, the one that started it all!
    November 30, 2017, 11:32:16 AM
  • TopStarRacer: Happy Turkey Day Exciteboters!
    November 23, 2017, 11:37:24 AM
  • JoomX: Happy Thanksgiving, everybody...
    November 22, 2017, 08:33:56 PM
  • JoomX: Welcome to the forums, byron332...
    November 07, 2017, 12:27:57 AM
  • JoomX: Still just a sat connection, TJ.  Never going to be anything better in this area.  Over 1,000ms ping time, would totally suck trying to play online.  For EB, I'd try it though... ;)
    October 19, 2017, 12:58:10 PM
  • theJudeAbides: Did you ever get hooked up to decent internet, Joom?  We should hop into a voice-chat some time.  I have access to a Discord channel if you're interested.
    October 18, 2017, 11:34:59 PM
  • JoomX: For now, TJ.  I keep thinking it's kind of useless now with EB gone, but keep hoping a new EB or something similar will come along.  If not, I'm sure sometime we'll have to call it a day...  :(
    October 16, 2017, 11:58:09 PM
  • theJudeAbides: Well, I'm glad you're keeping it around, Joom. :D
    October 16, 2017, 11:31:12 PM

Author Topic: Well, seems to be time for a new discussion/wish topic...  (Read 1536 times)

Online JoomX

• I Am The
  • Administrator
  • TGC Junkie
  • It's all about the game...
    • View Profile
Well, seems to be time for a new discussion/wish topic...
« on: August 27, 2016, 07:57:48 PM »
Since Flash was nice enough to bring the news about the newly announced "Nintendo NX", I thought I'd go looking.  Surprised how many mentions of ExciteBots (and Excite Trucks) I saw in the comments on this post.  Could we really have a shot?

http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2016/04/rumour_linkedin_profile_hints_at_unannounced_racing_title_from_excitebots_studio_monster_games
A computer once beat me at chess, but as it turns out it was no match for me at kickboxing... ;)

Offline theJudeAbides

• The Most Interesting Jerk on the Internet
  • I'm theJude, deal with it.
    • View Profile
Re: Well, seems to be time for a new discussion/wish topic...
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2016, 08:25:00 AM »
Well, I've know about the NX for some time, but not that Monster Games is developing a Racing Game for it.  If you recall, Excite Truck was a launch title for the Wii, so maybe, just MAYBE, we'll be seeing a new Excite game for the NX at launch.  I've been somewhat on the fence about what I've been hearing about the NX, but if they put out an Excite game with it at launch?  I'm there.
I don't always play videogames, but when I do, I prefer Excitebots.  Keep spinning, my friends.  8)
theJude's Backloggery

Online JoomX

• I Am The
  • Administrator
  • TGC Junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2016, 09:49:59 AM »
Yeah, I wasn't overly thrilled with what I've seen on the NX myself as game consoles go.  But as you say, put EB on it and it's a done deal.

I guess we all just have to hammer all the blogs/forums/announcement boards that are talking about the NX and voice our opinion about EB...
A computer once beat me at chess, but as it turns out it was no match for me at kickboxing... ;)

Offline FLASH

• FC: 0648-3542-8677
  • TGC Junkie
  • Fastest Man Alive
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2016, 12:37:52 PM »
I'd get it just for a re-release like Top said but if it is a new Excite game I'd be on board for getting it. I read somewhere it might be a Donkey Kong racing game. I'm keeping my fingers crossed for Excite anything though!

Online JoomX

• I Am The
  • Administrator
  • TGC Junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2016, 03:22:15 PM »
Yeah, I saw that whole Donkey Kong thing, too, but am hoping for a re-release or new version of EB...

Offline Fawful theLEGO

• Fawful was here
  • Rookie
  • VINCE or Fawful? I go by both
    • View Profile
    • Youtube Stop Motions
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2016, 06:15:27 PM »
I honestly wished we'd of gotten something for WiiU. Sad to say that I might not have the time or liquid assets to put in for a new console. Sorry NX. It's not you, it's me.

Offline theJudeAbides

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2016, 11:33:52 PM »
Yeah, the Wii U was really dry for racing games... Basically Mario Kart 8 and that's it.  There were a couple other mediocre titles but nothing to get all that excited about.  Even the PS4 and X1 have more options (although most of them are realistic-style racers).  I feel like the Racing genre as a whole is really in a funk right now.  Excitebots 2 is the game we need, but not the one we deserve. :D :-* :P
I don't always play videogames, but when I do, I prefer Excitebots.  Keep spinning, my friends.  8)
theJude's Backloggery

Offline TopStarRacer

• Excite Win Junkie
  • TGC Junkie
  • Race on!
    • View Profile
    • TopStarRacer's YouTube Channel
« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2016, 10:49:42 PM »
If the NX is getting an Excite game at launch or ExciteBots with online capabilities for WiiWare, I'm there. Otherwise, I can't see myself getting the console. I bought the Wii U two years ago and honestly it's been relatively unused. I've been playing the 3DS since ExciteBots went dark.

Online JoomX

• I Am The
  • Administrator
  • TGC Junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2016, 10:38:10 AM »
Same here.  I never got the U, because I never saw a game come out that made me want to.  It will be the same with the NX.  Anything Excite (or very similar) will make it mandatory, otherwise no...

Offline CodyRs

• TGC Junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 26, 2016, 05:35:55 PM »
Well since I've returned to Oregon I've boughten my self a Wii u. Ehh it hasn't done its job and kept me occupied...So I then went out and bought a Xbox one. Basically just have played Black Ops lll. But never heard of what you guys are talking about. But yeahif it even has an excite name in I'm definelty gonna look into it. Crossing fingers that it's just like EBTR.
My CodyRs profile is retired! 9,215 Excite Wins and 225 poker wins!

Offline theJudeAbides

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 29, 2016, 01:16:09 PM »
Cody, it's one of those things where, while there's been no "official" announcement, due to a job posting by Monster Games, we can infer that they're working on a new (racing) game.

So, what we know for sure:
1. Nintendo is coming out with a new console code-named the "NX" this fall (Confirmed).
2. Monster Games is working on a new game, which is probably a racing game, and is probably for the NX.

What we don't know:
1. What "type" of racing game it is.  While everyone here is hoping and speculating that it's going to be an "Excite" game, it's only just that: hope and speculation.  It could just as easily be: A new Diddy Kong racing game, a new Wave Race game, a new F-Zero game, or something else entirely new.
2. When it will be released.  Again, hope and speculation has people saying "release game" but there is literally zero evidence that this is the case.  Now, we DO know that it's been a while since Monster Games has released a game and that Excite Truck was a release game for the Wii, but that literally means squadoosh here.

People like to hope and speculate, Cody.  That's all that's going on here.
theJude's Backloggery

Offline Battletanx_Commander

• Master Chef
  • Clawing my way to victory ever boost of the way...
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 30, 2016, 06:33:07 PM »
Well this is amusing, I was just thinking about how with the NX coming out sometime soon in the future there would be a possibility of another Excite game.

I for one am hoping our overlords at Monster Games will grace us with another Excite game to see us do sport for their amusement if at the very least a HD remake (or just virtual console release). I long for the glory days of old and am hopeful and excited (get it, excited?  8) [size=78%]) [/size][/size]to see the rise of the Excite once again.[size=78%]
I am Truck Norris

Online JoomX

• I Am The
  • Administrator
  • TGC Junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 30, 2016, 07:26:49 PM »
I miss the old glory days too, BTC.  Except after doing a little racing from time to time lately I can see it wouldn't be so glorious now.  8)

But would still be fun, even on satellite...  ;D

Offline Battletanx_Commander

• Master Chef
  • Clawing my way to victory ever boost of the way...
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 30, 2016, 10:36:18 PM »
I'm sure you could always go out of your way to mess up TopStar's run while I'll take first.  8)  We could be the dynamic duo.

We'd be getting Joomed on a whole new level.  :o
I am Truck Norris

Online JoomX

• I Am The
  • Administrator
  • TGC Junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 01, 2016, 08:57:44 AM »
 :P :P :P :P :P

Offline CodyRs

• TGC Junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 04, 2016, 06:07:30 PM »
Well with whatever it is I just hope its a good racing game I could enjoy.
My CodyRs profile is retired! 9,215 Excite Wins and 225 poker wins!

Offline FLASH

• TGC Junkie
  • Fastest Man Alive
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 09, 2016, 07:50:09 PM »
Forgot where I read this but I saw somewhere that the developers are happy with what the NX is as of right now. I think if the NX has some success, there is a better chance for an Excite game to exist. My guess is that if Monster Games is making a racing game for the NX, it has to be something Nintendo thinks will be successful. I'm not sure how well Excite Truck did but my bet is that's the title they would go with.

Online JoomX

• I Am The
  • Administrator
  • TGC Junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 09, 2016, 11:09:28 PM »
Hadn't heard that, Flash, thanks.  I'd settle for Excite Truck, but of course would rather have another EB.

Be interesting to see where things go...

Offline theJudeAbides

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 29, 2016, 06:19:45 AM »
Just stumbled upon this old thread (isn't that on after This Old House? :P) of mine, which got me thinking.  I still stand by most of what I said there, and Big & Dragon had a couple cool ideas as well.

In addition, here's a few things I've been thinking about recently:
- More balanced bots.  There was only ever maybe 3-4 bots that were viable in the competitive scene: Most people ran the roach, I think I made a pretty convincing case for the Hummingbird at the end, and I think the Bat and Lizard could have been good in the right hands.  There may be a couple more I'm forgetting, but that's about it.  The Squid, Mantis, and Turtle were worthless in serious competitions, and there were a lot of "middling" bots that, while ok, weren't ever going to be competitive either.

If you look at modern competitive gaming (wither it be MOBAs, RTSs, MMORPGSs, or anything else with a variety of non-similar playable classes/races), these games are made or broke on their balance.  NOBODY wants to play an under-performing class, and EVERYONE wants to play the over-performing ones.  Like I said: look at the Roach in Excitebots.

Now, does this mean I think all the bots should be like the Roach?  NO!  Different bots should excel at different things.  The roach was great for jumping, spinning, and comboing.  However, it's drifting and tree-running skills should have been nerfed, and it's red-bar should have been slower like the Lizard's.  Meanwhile, bots like Turtle and Mantis should have had their tree runs and drifts boosted.  For example, if you could manage to get the turtle through that big tree-run on Platinum Tasmania, you should be getting 2-3 times as many stars as someone taking a Roach through the same tree run.  Not fair?  Yes it is.  While the Roach is busy racking up a huge score jump-comboing and spinning, the Turtle isn't getting anywhere near the same amount, so there needs to be a trade-off.  By giving each bot real bonuses as well as drawbacks, you balance the game.  And you keep releasing patches and updates until things are balanced.

- More balanced Courses.
Piggy-backing on what was just said, you need to balance the courses as well to provide opportunities for all types of scoring so that the different bots all have opportunities to rack up stars in their given areas of expertise.  While many of the later courses in Excitebots were somewhat balanced, some of those earlier ones weren't.  School Mexico comes to mind, because there were very few tree runs but a ton of jump combos.

Anyways, these two ideas are at the core of what I'd like to see from a new Excitebots game: A more balanced multiplayer where each bot could be competitive, but in different/unique ways.  Where bots like the turtle and squid could go toe-to-toe with the Roach and be able to win.  There should never be a "best choice" bot... the "best choice" should be based on your play-style and skill.

So what would you want from a new Excitebots game?
theJude's Backloggery

Online JoomX

• I Am The
  • Administrator
  • TGC Junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 29, 2016, 02:03:44 PM »
I like the points you make about the bots' scoring abilities, TJ, and agree.  But other than that, I pretty well like the game as is, and would just like to see it online again in some form (new system, whatever)...

Offline FLASH

• TGC Junkie
  • Fastest Man Alive
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 07, 2016, 11:21:42 PM »
I agree with what TJ said about balancing and what Joom says about staying true to the game's roots. In the major games I've seen that rely on balancing to make or break the game, it's better to build maps where certain classes have their opportunity to shine instead of trying to make all classes or characters fit on every map. Personally I think it would be awesome to have to play different bots on different tracks based on what's available in the map. If the map is flat but has plenty of trees, that could favor a tree run bot instead of a jump combo/spinning bot. It would make the game more interesting to me to have to try to master not just 1, but several bots on several different maps. Pair all of that with the same, or maybe slightly improved, motion controls and you have a pretty amazing game IMO.

That being said, Monster Games should just let us design the new Excite game  :P

Online JoomX

• I Am The
  • Administrator
  • TGC Junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 08, 2016, 08:11:24 AM »
That being said, Monster Games should just let us design the new Excite game  :P

Yeah, that!  Or at least let us talk them into building the new EB, and getting it out so we can play.  8)

And I think I like the idea of track specific bots.  I do like the current ability to run whatever you want wherever you want, but wouldn't mind at all being tied to a certain set of bots for a given type of track.  Although I can see people pushing to race on the tracks that allow their favorite bot(s).  Still, good idea, Flash...

Offline theJudeAbides

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 08, 2016, 01:25:11 PM »
...it's better to build maps where certain classes have their opportunity to shine instead of trying to make all classes or characters fit on every map.

While I agree to a point, things should still be balanced enough that every bot has a chance on every course.  When you get to point of "pick this bot on this map to win", you've failed, because that's not really that far removed from "pick the Roach on every map to win."  I agree these things can be hard to balance completely, but there should always be at least 2 types of bots that can succeed on a given course.
theJude's Backloggery

Offline FLASH

• TGC Junkie
  • Fastest Man Alive
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 15, 2017, 06:29:15 PM »
Apparently there was a re-release of Excite bots on the Wii U on December 15th, and I saw an article that had some interesting news about Nintendo filing a Trademark on Excite truck. I think it's interesting that Nintendo has waited so long to file for a trademark. Maybe they are working on something.

http://nintendoeverything.com/nintendo-files-excite-truck-trademark-in-the-u-s/

Offline theJudeAbides

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 15, 2017, 08:31:31 PM »
Very interesting, Flash.  I missed that.  Who knows if it'll lead to anything, but we still don't know what Monster Games is working on right now, and we know they're working on something...
theJude's Backloggery

Offline TopStarRacer

• Excite Win Junkie
  • TGC Junkie
  • Race on!
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 16, 2017, 07:27:41 PM »
Apparently there was a re-release of Excite bots on the Wii U on December 15th, and I saw an article that had some interesting news about Nintendo filing a Trademark on Excite truck. I think it's interesting that Nintendo has waited so long to file for a trademark. Maybe they are working on something.

http://nintendoeverything.com/nintendo-files-excite-truck-trademark-in-the-u-s/

Re-releasing ExciteBots on the Wii U was something I had been anticipating...only I was anticipating it with online.  >:( $19.99 without the game's best feature? Not sold.

As far as the Switch goes, I think I'm only going to buy one if a sequel game to EBTR comes out for it.

Online JoomX

• I Am The
  • Administrator
  • TGC Junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 16, 2017, 08:38:25 PM »
I missed that too.  But no online?

As Top said, I'd only pop the $300 for the Switch if EBTR came out for it and had online.  I don't really like the Switch controller, but it would have to do...

Offline theJudeAbides

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 17, 2017, 11:34:39 PM »
Re-releasing ExciteBots on the Wii U was something I had been anticipating...only I was anticipating it with online.  >:( $19.99 without the game's best feature? Not sold.

As far as the Switch goes, I think I'm only going to buy one if a sequel game to EBTR comes out for it.

Gotta agree.  Excitebots without the online racing?!?  What's even the point?  Might as well just pop in my old Excitebots disk into my Wii.  At least there I already have everything unlocked.

Speaking of which, good luck unlocking everything without online betting to help you increase your stars.  Holy crap, just thinking about what a grind that would be to do entirely offline... Ugh.

As for the Switch... It has a few intriguing titles.  Maybe I'll get it at some point, but an Excite game from Monster Games would seal the deal in an instant.  Actually, pretty much any racing game from Monster Games would seal the deal, for that matter.  I was really thinking they'd announce one as a launch title like Excite Truck was for the Wii, but maybe the game needs more time to be developed first.  I'd rather they took their time and made it good than rush something bad out... So I will wait patiently like I've done for the past... how many years has it been?  Dang it Joom, by the time the next Excite game comes out, I'll be using your moniker! :P ::) :'(
theJude's Backloggery

Online JoomX

• I Am The
  • Administrator
  • TGC Junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 18, 2017, 06:36:16 AM »
Dang it Joom, by the time the next Excite game comes out, I'll be using your moniker! :P ::) :'(

I know, TJ.  The way it's going we'd all be racing with a cane...  ;D

Offline Dynam0

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 28, 2017, 09:58:09 AM »
Hm. My hunch would be a new Excite Truck title for the Switch, given that it has not been released on the WiiU (unlike Bike and Bots). Getting the patent for Truck is kind of overkill for a WiiU release, I would think. They might need the trademark in order to make changes

I searched the US Trademark Office database at http://tmsearch.uspto.gov/bin/gate.exe?f=tess&state=4804:zh8u9x.1.1 and found a previous trademark application from 2009/10 that was just cancelled about two weeks ago. The December, 2016 application is still active. By the way, their trademark to Excitebots was registered in 2010 and is still live.

The plot thickens!

Online JoomX

• I Am The
  • Administrator
  • TGC Junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: January 28, 2017, 03:31:21 PM »
Good investigative work there, Dyn.  Wish they'd just come out with a yea or nay on it.

Anyplace we can write to submit a request/wish list?

Offline theJudeAbides

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 31, 2017, 01:36:27 AM »
Well, I did find a phone number.  (A simple google search will give it to you.)  Very seriously considering giving it a ring during business hours.  Gave it a call tonight to see if it was legit, and it appears to be so (obviously no one answered because it was after midnight, but the answering machine message seemed normal).

I do wonder if I would get anywhere, or just the runaround/hung up on.  One wonders if a concentrated effort of all of us calling them around the same time might have an effect...
theJude's Backloggery

Online JoomX

• I Am The
  • Administrator
  • TGC Junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 31, 2017, 06:38:01 AM »
Hard to tell, TJ.  Let us know how your call goes, then we can jump in...

Offline FLASH

• TGC Junkie
  • Fastest Man Alive
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 01, 2017, 04:20:09 PM »
Very good investigation work Dynamo! Glad to see you around. I'm on board with calling in, I'll keep checking the site to see how your call went, Jude.

Offline TopStarRacer

• Excite Win Junkie
  • TGC Junkie
  • Race on!
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 08, 2017, 01:02:51 AM »
I wish Nintendo would stop "deluxing" games from the Wii U for the Switch, screwing Wii U investors such as myself, and make a new Excite title better than ExciteBots.  8)