Author Topic: Nintendo Switch (NX)  (Read 456 times)

Online TopStarRacer

• Excite Win Junkie
  • TGC Junkie
  • Race on!
    • View Profile
    • TopStarRacer's YouTube Channel
Nintendo Switch (NX)
« on: October 20, 2016, 12:42:33 PM »
The Nintendo NX was officially revealed to be called the Nintendo Switch this morning and Nintendo showed a 3 minute trailer revealing what it does. What are your guys' initial thoughts on Nintendo's newest console?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f5uik5fgIaI

I think the concept is really awesome. As someone who has primary played his 3DS over the Wii U, a mobile option is definitely welcome. I hope the battery life is strong on it though (but if I were to take a guess, the stationary part probably charges the mobile controller).

One thing that bothers me though is the lack of motion controls. Will the Wii controllers be compatiable with the Switch in any way? How else could we play Wii Virtual Console/ WiiWare games without it? I can't download ExciteBots from the eShop and not have the controller to play it!  :'( That's my only gripe regarding the console right now. It looks great and look forward to learning more about it.

Offline theJudeAbides

• The Most Interesting Jerk on the Internet
  • I'm theJude, deal with it.
    • View Profile
Re: Nintendo Switch (NX)
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2016, 01:04:28 PM »
DUTS, I was about to post this myself!!!  :o :'( :o

I've never really gotten that much into the portable thing, since I usually have to drive myself wherever I'm going, so the whole "take it with you" concept just kind of falls flat for me.  I'm sure it'll be popular with some, though.

I'm still interested in seeing what games they're going to be coming out with for it.  All I could see in the trailer was Zelda (which we've known was coming for the last 4 years), Mario Kart and Splatoon (which are already available on the Wii U), and some random sports games (meh).  I'm still waiting for the Excite-Whatever announcement... that's what will get me hyped.
I don't always play videogames, but when I do, I prefer Excitebots.  Keep spinning, my friends.  8)
theJude's Backloggery

Offline JoomX

• I Am The
  • Administrator
  • TGC Junkie
  • It's all about the game...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2016, 05:48:56 PM »
I just saw this post when coming to post this link:

https://www.yahoo.com/tech/expect-nintendo-nx-reveal-103030051.html

I'm with Top, not sure I like the controls that I saw in the vid.  And no mention in the link above about racing games other than Mario.

Gotta wait and see, I guess...
A computer once beat me at chess, but as it turns out it was no match for me at kickboxing... ;)

Offline FLASH

• FC: 0648-3542-8677
  • TGC Junkie
  • Fastest Man Alive
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2016, 11:22:08 PM »
I'm with Jude on not being a big fan of it's portability since I would never use it. The controls do seem a little disappointing to me because I think they make the likely hood of another Excite game pretty iffy at best. I think an Excite game without motion controls would be interesting though.

Offline JoomX

• I Am The
  • Administrator
  • TGC Junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2016, 07:39:32 AM »
The controls are part of what made the game for me.  EB itself is great, but the controls made it more natural.

I don't care at all about portability, but as long as I could stick it in a base and leave it, I'd be okay with that.

They make the NX ads look cool for kids, but they forget that part of what made the Wii a hit was its appeal to older players, too.  And part of that was the motion controllers - and good selection of games for them...
A computer once beat me at chess, but as it turns out it was no match for me at kickboxing... ;)

Offline theJudeAbides

• The Most Interesting Jerk on the Internet
  • I'm theJude, deal with it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2017, 11:02:37 PM »
Well, the Nintendo Switch was released this last week... Yay?  Honestly, the launch lineup was pretty meh for me:

The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild - Obviously the stand out game here, but it's also available for the Wii U, which I already own. I mean, graphically speaking, the Switch isn't much more powerful than the Wii U, and still isn't as powerful as the XBox One or PS4, so how much better looking can it actually be?

Just Dance 2017 - Again, I could just buy it for the Wii U... or the Wii for that matter.  Or I could just not buy it all, since, you know, it's Just Dance 2017. :P

1-2-Switch - Looks like a tech demo game like Wii Sports or Nintendoland. It's probably ok, but nothing to get too excited about and certainly not worth buying the system for.

Super Bomberman R - Again, this looks like a cool enough game, but it's not a system-seller.

Skylanders Imaginators - Another re-release of a game that's available on every other console.

There's a few download-only games that are available as well, most of which have also been released elsewhere, however there are a few that are new:

Fast RMX - A F-Zero style racing game.  It looks fairly cool.

I am Setsuna - A Japanese-style RPG if you're into that type of thing.  I'm not.

Snipperclips - A puzzle game of some sort.  I've heard it's ok.

What's more, there's not many games coming out in the near-future, either:

Mario Kart 8 Deluxe - Comes out in April.  From what I can tell, it's a slight graphical update of the Wii U version with all the DLC included (which I finally got around to buying not that long ago) and a few new game modes.  I can't see myself double-dipping for this, but it you don't own a Wii U or never got it, it's probably worth it.

Redout - Another fairly cool looking, fast racing game that's in the style of F-Zero/Wipeout.  I might be interested in this if it wasn't for the fact that I noticed that this game is also on Steam... probably for cheaper, too.

Really, the interesting games which might make this system worth owning aren't coming out for some time: Splatoon 2, Mario Odyssey, Fire Emblem Warriors, and Xenoblade Chronicles 2 are not coming out until Fall/Christmas of this year.  Personally, I can't see much reason for getting one right now.  IMO, wait for a price drop and/or interesting bundle after some of the better games start coming out.  Until then, stick to your Wii U's and PCs (or any other consoles you might already own).

For that matter, just stick Excitebots in and play that again. :D :P :D :P :D
I don't always play videogames, but when I do, I prefer Excitebots.  Keep spinning, my friends.  8)
theJude's Backloggery

Offline JoomX

• I Am The
  • Administrator
  • TGC Junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2017, 06:45:10 AM »
For that matter, just stick Excitebots in and play that again. :D :P :D :P :D

Sounds like that's about the best option.  :P

Nice writeup on the games, TJ, I didn't realize it had been released.  Could be another loser for Nintendo...  :(

Online TopStarRacer

• Excite Win Junkie
  • TGC Junkie
  • Race on!
    • View Profile
    • TopStarRacer's YouTube Channel
« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2017, 01:48:12 PM »
I've got no plans on buying the Switch unless an ExciteBots online enabled re-release comes out or better yet, a quality sequel.

Fast RMX looks awesome but I only recently bought Face Racing NEO for the Wii U, the previous game in the series, so I'll focus on beating that game first.