TGC ShoutBox

Refresh History
  • Forum rules apply here! Only members can Shout.
  • FLASH: Not at all! That's not even the comic book Barry Allen, but I'm ok with Ezra Miller as the Flash. Superman is more my speed these days  8)
    Today at 10:17:37 AM
  • TopStarRacer: Hey FLASH! I saw Justice League the other day. How much do you relate to FLASH? :P
    December 08, 2017, 08:45:44 PM
  • JoomX: Good to see you too, Flash.  Too bad we don't have a good game we could all get into and hang out more often...
    December 08, 2017, 01:51:51 PM
  • FLASH: Long time no see Agent C! Good to see you around! BTC wished me a Happy Thanksgiving a few weeks ago so I figured I'd check in and see what's up. Hope you all are doing well!
    December 08, 2017, 01:33:09 PM
  • JoomX: Yes it would, Top.  Miss chatting with the old crew, including Dynamo.  And hey there, Agent C, good to see you...  :)
    December 04, 2017, 12:45:57 PM
  • TopStarRacer: Now if only BIG AIR and Snooog could pop in...be nice to hear from those old farts.
    December 02, 2017, 01:14:34 AM
  • TopStarRacer: The legend himself, how is the ol' AC?  Miss racing and chatting with you!
    December 02, 2017, 01:13:34 AM
  • Agent C: ;D
    December 01, 2017, 07:33:59 PM
  • Agent C: Oh, and Nintendo Switch sucks, wouldn't buy it for $50!
    December 01, 2017, 07:33:29 PM
  • Agent C: See, been that long, forgot it tells who is saying what! :P
    December 01, 2017, 07:31:55 PM
  • Agent C: Agent C, checking in after a long time. Hope everyone is doing well. I'm still around.
    December 01, 2017, 07:30:57 PM
  • JoomX: 33rd?  Wow...
    December 01, 2017, 11:42:04 AM
  • TopStarRacer: Happy 33rd Birthday Excitebike, the one that started it all!
    November 30, 2017, 11:32:16 AM
  • TopStarRacer: Happy Turkey Day Exciteboters!
    November 23, 2017, 11:37:24 AM
  • JoomX: Happy Thanksgiving, everybody...
    November 22, 2017, 08:33:56 PM
  • JoomX: Welcome to the forums, byron332...
    November 07, 2017, 12:27:57 AM
  • JoomX: Still just a sat connection, TJ.  Never going to be anything better in this area.  Over 1,000ms ping time, would totally suck trying to play online.  For EB, I'd try it though... ;)
    October 19, 2017, 12:58:10 PM
  • theJudeAbides: Did you ever get hooked up to decent internet, Joom?  We should hop into a voice-chat some time.  I have access to a Discord channel if you're interested.
    October 18, 2017, 11:34:59 PM
  • JoomX: For now, TJ.  I keep thinking it's kind of useless now with EB gone, but keep hoping a new EB or something similar will come along.  If not, I'm sure sometime we'll have to call it a day...  :(
    October 16, 2017, 11:58:09 PM
  • theJudeAbides: Well, I'm glad you're keeping it around, Joom. :D
    October 16, 2017, 11:31:12 PM

Author Topic: Neon Drive - First impressions/Quick Review  (Read 151 times)

Offline theJudeAbides

• The Most Interesting Jerk on the Internet
  • I'm theJude, deal with it.
    • View Profile
Neon Drive - First impressions/Quick Review
« on: March 04, 2017, 04:49:58 AM »
So, I've been looking around on Steam lately for racing/driving games.  Mostly seem to find driving simulators more focused on "reality" than fun, but I came across a cool looking game called "Neon Drive" for $10 and decided what the heck, I'll give it a shot.

Visuals:
This game is gorgeous, IMO.  It's rockin' a classic 80's neon vibe that's just spot on.  The game is fast and fluid and has a great aesthetic.

Sound/Music:
So, this game is more of a Rhythm game than a Racing game (more on that in a bit).  As such, you'll be listening to some rockin' music.  I personally found the music great and it definitely jives well with the 80's theme of the game.

Gameplay:
So, as I mentioned, this is really more of a Rhythm game than a racing game.  Your car will be on a 4-track road, and you move between tracks with the arrow keys.  As you drive along, obstacles with come up in your path and you'll need to navigate around them.  You'll find that your movement coincides with the music, and in fact, the key to the game is using the musical cues to help you know when to move.

This game is tough... and I mean TOUGH!  You'll die... A LOT.  But it never feels unfair.  When you mess up, you'll know it was because your reaction was off by just a little bit, or you moved left when you should have went right... or you meant to go 2 to the right but you fat-fingered it and went 3 instead.  But, each level does have some checkpoints so you won't get set back TOO far and you can just keep trying and trying until you get it right.  This game is all about memorization and moving to the music.  You'll have to practice each course a lot before you can truly master it.  I've only just begun, and I did (barely) manage to beat the course on "normal" (e.g easy) difficulty, but after that, there's a Hard and Insane difficulty to work on as well where you and the music move even faster and your reflexes are pushed to their limit.

Overall:
In the end, I'd have to give this game a rating of:
Van Halen/VHS Tapes  :o :P

This game is pretty cool and fun, and for $10, not a bad deal.  It's a bit short, but the extra difficulties allow for more replayability.
I don't always play videogames, but when I do, I prefer Excitebots.  Keep spinning, my friends.  8)
theJude's Backloggery

Offline JoomX

• I Am The
  • Administrator
  • TGC Junkie
  • It's all about the game...
    • View Profile
Re: Neon Drive - First impressions/Quick Review
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2017, 07:17:40 AM »
Man, that is an old style game.  :o

Looks and sounds like it might be fun to play with, though, and the price is right.  And I do like their tagline:

A slick retro-futuristic obstacle-dodging game that will make your brain melt!

:P :P :P
A computer once beat me at chess, but as it turns out it was no match for me at kickboxing... ;)