TGC ShoutBox

Refresh History
  • Forum rules apply here! Only members can Shout.
  • FLASH: Not at all! That's not even the comic book Barry Allen, but I'm ok with Ezra Miller as the Flash. Superman is more my speed these days  8)
    Today at 10:17:37 AM
  • TopStarRacer: Hey FLASH! I saw Justice League the other day. How much do you relate to FLASH? :P
    December 08, 2017, 08:45:44 PM
  • JoomX: Good to see you too, Flash.  Too bad we don't have a good game we could all get into and hang out more often...
    December 08, 2017, 01:51:51 PM
  • FLASH: Long time no see Agent C! Good to see you around! BTC wished me a Happy Thanksgiving a few weeks ago so I figured I'd check in and see what's up. Hope you all are doing well!
    December 08, 2017, 01:33:09 PM
  • JoomX: Yes it would, Top.  Miss chatting with the old crew, including Dynamo.  And hey there, Agent C, good to see you...  :)
    December 04, 2017, 12:45:57 PM
  • TopStarRacer: Now if only BIG AIR and Snooog could pop in...be nice to hear from those old farts.
    December 02, 2017, 01:14:34 AM
  • TopStarRacer: The legend himself, how is the ol' AC?  Miss racing and chatting with you!
    December 02, 2017, 01:13:34 AM
  • Agent C: ;D
    December 01, 2017, 07:33:59 PM
  • Agent C: Oh, and Nintendo Switch sucks, wouldn't buy it for $50!
    December 01, 2017, 07:33:29 PM
  • Agent C: See, been that long, forgot it tells who is saying what! :P
    December 01, 2017, 07:31:55 PM
  • Agent C: Agent C, checking in after a long time. Hope everyone is doing well. I'm still around.
    December 01, 2017, 07:30:57 PM
  • JoomX: 33rd?  Wow...
    December 01, 2017, 11:42:04 AM
  • TopStarRacer: Happy 33rd Birthday Excitebike, the one that started it all!
    November 30, 2017, 11:32:16 AM
  • TopStarRacer: Happy Turkey Day Exciteboters!
    November 23, 2017, 11:37:24 AM
  • JoomX: Happy Thanksgiving, everybody...
    November 22, 2017, 08:33:56 PM
  • JoomX: Welcome to the forums, byron332...
    November 07, 2017, 12:27:57 AM
  • JoomX: Still just a sat connection, TJ.  Never going to be anything better in this area.  Over 1,000ms ping time, would totally suck trying to play online.  For EB, I'd try it though... ;)
    October 19, 2017, 12:58:10 PM
  • theJudeAbides: Did you ever get hooked up to decent internet, Joom?  We should hop into a voice-chat some time.  I have access to a Discord channel if you're interested.
    October 18, 2017, 11:34:59 PM
  • JoomX: For now, TJ.  I keep thinking it's kind of useless now with EB gone, but keep hoping a new EB or something similar will come along.  If not, I'm sure sometime we'll have to call it a day...  :(
    October 16, 2017, 11:58:09 PM
  • theJudeAbides: Well, I'm glad you're keeping it around, Joom. :D
    October 16, 2017, 11:31:12 PM

Author Topic: 3DS Hardware prices set to tumble...  (Read 1947 times)

Offline Schprocket

• Skippy...Skippy.... Skippy the Bush Kangaroooooo
    • View Profile
3DS Hardware prices set to tumble...
« on: July 31, 2011, 06:55:04 AM »
For anybody considering buying a 3DS, you might want to hold off until the 12th August 2011... unless you want 20 free VC downloads from the eShop...

When will the 3DS price go down?

The 3DS price decrease comes into effect on Friday 12th August.

How much will the 3DS cost from 12th August?

North America: $169.99.
Europe: Down to individual retailers, but expect around 160 / 180.
Australia: AU $249.96.
New Zealand: NZ $343.99.
Japan: 15,000 Yen.

Interestingly, these RRPs are not too far below the discounted prices you may be lucky enough to find, so the inference is that you could get this console another 10 to 20 dollars cheaper.

In any event, if you're after a glasses-free 3D experience and have checked out a 3DS demo unit at your local games store, this could be the news you're after...

Sourced from Nintendo Life

Offline theJudeAbides

• The Most Interesting Jerk on the Internet
  • I'm theJude, deal with it.
    • View Profile
Re: 3DS Hardware prices set to tumble...
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2011, 07:09:01 AM »
Yeah, I read about this on IGN and was a little shocked they're dropping it that much so soon.  However, I believe I know a couple of reasons why:
- The 3DS kinda flopped sales-wise on initial release.  I tend to think this was because the initial lineup wasn't that great, but the steep price certainly didn't help either.
- The PS Vita, due out before Christmas, was recently announced that it too will have a MSRP of $250, the same as the 3DS before the price drop, when it comes out.  However, given how much more powerful the Vita is, many figured it would have trounced the 3DS come Christmas-time had it's price remained the same.

The main problem is, the 3DS has yet to come out with the "killer app" or game that everybody has to have, so the interest isn't that great.  The Vita, on the other hand, is promising an Uncharted game available upon release, which has a lot of people excited.  Yes, everybody's excited for the new Mario, Kid Icarus, and several others, but until they release, there isn't that much of a reason to spring for it.

Personally, I'd still like to get a DS Lite so I can play both DS and GBA games (3DS isn't even backwards compatible with GBA games).  However, the price drop this early does make me eye it with a little more interest.
I don't always play videogames, but when I do, I prefer Excitebots.  Keep spinning, my friends.  8)
theJude's Backloggery

Offline Schprocket

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2011, 07:21:35 AM »
Personally, I'd still like to get a DS Lite so I can play both DS and GBA games (3DS isn't even backwards compatible with GBA games).  However, the price drop this early does make me eye it with a little more interest.

Now here I'm going to go OT and say thatwhen I got the DS Phat to fix, it didn't have a Slot 2(?) cover, so I bought a cheapo GBA game to "fill the hole".
I ended up getting Golden Sun which turned out to be a neat little rpg although somewhere along the way I muffed up with one of my decision and I think I got stuck and haven't been back to it since. Apparently it was also one of 'the' games recommended for the GBA.

Offline bots101

• smash-bash-crash
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2011, 09:36:59 AM »
  Was reading about the 3Ds in the Wall Street Journal.  Sales have been poor because of the smart phones.  People are using those devices for gaming among other reasons.  Plus the games are a lot cheaper.  1$-5$.  They also made references about the Wii U coming out next year.  Nintendo and their stockholders are concerned about the future of game consoles.  Will the next big thing be a bust?  ???
Play to the room.

Offline JoomX

• I Am The
  • Administrator
  • TGC Junkie
  • It's all about the game...
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2011, 05:19:44 PM »
I don't think so, Bots.  There will be a time when you'll be able to do any kind of gaming on a phone type device, but right now you just can't play the kind of games you can on a console (or PC, or portable console).  Like everything else that's the current fad, most of the people playing more $1-$5 games now on the iPhone who used to play more on a console will come back to spending time on a console - at least some of the time.  Even if it's a portable one like the DS.  And at least until you can play full blown games on your phone, but that's still a ways off.

I think we're still a decade or more off from a one-stop-shop phone doing everything you can on a dedicated game console, but right now they are a hot item.

Don't know, I guess we'll just play 'em while we've got 'em... ;) :P
A computer once beat me at chess, but as it turns out it was no match for me at kickboxing... ;)

Offline Schprocket

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2011, 09:30:29 PM »
Ah the great all-in-one-device debate :)

Maybe it's my age but when I want to buy a mobile (cell) phone, why can't I just buy a phone if that's all I need?

Most modern electronic devices seem to be developed to a particular price-point, sort of a percentage of average gross yearly income.

You can't buy, to the best of my knowledge, a simple phone, i.e. a mobile device which operates like your wireless handset at home.

I'll agree with the standpoint that Nintendo have got an expensive piece of kit for a 'simple' device but when you look at it's focus, it is a console in your hands, it's not something that's trying to be a pc-in-your-pocket-and-hey-by-the-way-I'm-your-phone.

From what I've read, Nintendo's philosophy seems to have been (in the Wii's case in particular) that they make gaming consoles to sit next to you other entertainment equipment.

From their side of the fence, your are not restricted to investing a lot of money into hardware which (as is the down side with all all-in-one solutions) means that if one component breaks, it's generally the one that's common to all functions and you now lose all of the entertainment that the all-in-one provided.

Bots, you're right about being attributed to Nintendo reporting a loss.

From Nintendo Life again:
Why has Nintendo done this?

There is one obvious reason: money. The announcement coincided with the confirmation of financial losses in the last quarter.

For a company accustomed to enjoying mammoth profits in the last five years, this will have been difficult to swallow.

Officially, some blame was placed on costs of 3DS advertising and Wii U research and development; unofficially, it's clear that disappointing 3DS sales have been a contributing factor.
Just 700,000 3DS consoles were sold between April and June, a truly terrible figure.

Beyond the disappointing commercial performance, this could be seen as a reaction to the market in which Nintendo finds itself.

In the dedicated handheld gaming sphere, the PlayStation Vita looms large on the horizon.
With powerful PS3-style graphics and some interesting features, it's a device attracting a lot of buzz.

In addition, Nintendo may be facing up to the challenge of smartphones and tablets; the casual market in particular is being drawn in by iOS and Android games.

By introducing a price point not far off the retail price of the DSi XL, Nintendo is clearly making the case that, like the older DS devices, this is a reasonably priced entertainment system

What this article implies is that Nintendo is also taking on board the casual-game challenge from smart-phones but not necessarily that is was the cause for the loss.

The $1 games are the sorts of games you'd probably struggle to find in DSIware or any other console-base e-store (although I'm sure there's probably an "Angry Birds" or a clone of on every platform by now :) ).

This doesn't mean that they're not any good or not entertaining, they've just generally got some limited depth.
I was going to use the example of the Tetris or Breakout clones but that would be unfair to some of the excellent 'phone' games.
However there wouldn't be much more depth than those examples.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2011, 10:07:44 PM by Schprocket »

Offline JoomX

• I Am The
  • Administrator
  • TGC Junkie
  • It's all about the game...
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2011, 10:01:17 PM »
You can still get a simple cell phone over here, S.  Call, answer, talk, big buttons.  No games, no utilities, no junk.  My kind of cell phone... ;)
A computer once beat me at chess, but as it turns out it was no match for me at kickboxing... ;)

Offline Schprocket

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2011, 10:24:46 PM »
Ah but you have the market in the US mate.

Here in Oz we seem to be manipulated to the price-point I mentioned before.

You cannot buy a phone that does not have at least a camera, connects to the net or plays mp3.

These add-ons are natty but I rarely use them because unless you spend bigs bucks, the camera quality is naff (so why not just buy a camera?), as hard as I try I cannot get used viewing web-pages "through a pin-hole" and have to wait ages and pay heaps for the facility, and I rarely use the portable mp3 player I have, so a multi-purpose phone doesn't meet my needs and for the most part the technology is 'wasted'.

Technology is great. I love it and embrace it.
For some reason, the "swiss-army knife" smart-phones just aren't appealing to me, and neither are tablet PCs while I think about it.
It doesn't mean I don't respect what the tech can do but I think we're actually getting to the stage where you can actually determine how you want to have technology suit you.

You want a portable device with the net, an e-book reader, some light gaming, a portable music studio and you're not into typing? Solution - buy a tablet pc... or a smart-phone.
You want a portable device with the net, email, maybe create some web-pages, play some (very) light gaming and some office apps? Solution - buy a netbook pc.

Horses for courses. :)

Offline skelek

• my friend code is 4857-5309-0942
  • Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2013, 01:43:50 PM »

well if you want to play mariokart64,mario party 3, or diddykong racing in the nintendo 64 then download project 64 and search ROMS for nintendo 64
[spoiler][/spoiler]

Offline theJudeAbides

• The Most Interesting Jerk on the Internet
  • I'm theJude, deal with it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2013, 05:52:28 AM »
You're a little late to the conversation, skelek, and a bit off topic, but I'll bite.

First of all, the reason I want the ability to play GBA games is because I never owned a GBA.  There are plenty of great games for the system that I'd love to play.

Secondly, when I want to play Nintendo 64 games, I go plug my Nintendo 64 into my TV and play Nintendo 64 games.  There's something about that controller that just feels right and that's something no emulator will ever be able to emulate.

Also, speaking of emulators, I know there are a lot of people who use and play games on them.  I also know a lot of people think there's nothing wrong with this.  I disagree.  I don't expect you or those who believe otherwise to understand, but personally, I've made a choice to avoid them.  I'd much rather own the actual game and console.  Or, barring that, buy it on the virtual console.  There's something about console games that demands (to me) playing with a console controller.  I've tried playing Super Mario Bros. with a keyboard and/or mouse.  Vastly inferior to even playing it on with Wii with the remote turned sideways.  Again, this is my personal opinion, and I don't expect you to understand, but don't try to convince me otherwise, as you'll only be wasting your breath.
I don't always play videogames, but when I do, I prefer Excitebots.  Keep spinning, my friends.  8)
theJude's Backloggery