TGC ShoutBox

Refresh History
  • Forum rules apply here! Only members can Shout.
  • TopStarRacer: Happy birthday BTC! :D
    January 10, 2018, 03:48:28 AM
  • JoomX: Got a birthday coming up, eh BTC?  Make it a good one...  :)
    January 06, 2018, 04:58:58 PM
  • JoomX: Well, it's 2018.  9 years old and EB is still the best racing game on the planet...
    January 01, 2018, 04:20:18 PM
  • JoomX: Back at ya, Top.  Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to all.  And yes, EB 2018 would be the best Christmas gift...
    December 24, 2017, 05:14:14 PM
  • TopStarRacer: Merry Christmas and Happy New Year everyone! Here's hoping a new EB comes out in 2018! We can dream right?
    December 24, 2017, 12:07:19 AM
  • JoomX: Wow, four members here today.  It's a revival...  ;D
    December 13, 2017, 11:20:09 PM
  • theJudeAbides: Just need Snooog and Big Air to come back... and for theJude to go away. :D :P
    December 13, 2017, 05:59:08 AM
  • FLASH: Not at all! That's not even the comic book Barry Allen, but I'm ok with Ezra Miller as the Flash. Superman is more my speed these days  8)
    December 10, 2017, 10:17:37 AM
  • TopStarRacer: Hey FLASH! I saw Justice League the other day. How much do you relate to FLASH? :P
    December 08, 2017, 08:45:44 PM
  • JoomX: Good to see you too, Flash.  Too bad we don't have a good game we could all get into and hang out more often...
    December 08, 2017, 01:51:51 PM
  • FLASH: Long time no see Agent C! Good to see you around! BTC wished me a Happy Thanksgiving a few weeks ago so I figured I'd check in and see what's up. Hope you all are doing well!
    December 08, 2017, 01:33:09 PM
  • JoomX: Yes it would, Top.  Miss chatting with the old crew, including Dynamo.  And hey there, Agent C, good to see you...  :)
    December 04, 2017, 12:45:57 PM
  • TopStarRacer: Now if only BIG AIR and Snooog could pop in...be nice to hear from those old farts.
    December 02, 2017, 01:14:34 AM
  • TopStarRacer: The legend himself, how is the ol' AC?  Miss racing and chatting with you!
    December 02, 2017, 01:13:34 AM
  • Agent C: ;D
    December 01, 2017, 07:33:59 PM
  • Agent C: Oh, and Nintendo Switch sucks, wouldn't buy it for $50!
    December 01, 2017, 07:33:29 PM
  • Agent C: See, been that long, forgot it tells who is saying what! :P
    December 01, 2017, 07:31:55 PM
  • Agent C: Agent C, checking in after a long time. Hope everyone is doing well. I'm still around.
    December 01, 2017, 07:30:57 PM
  • JoomX: 33rd?  Wow...
    December 01, 2017, 11:42:04 AM
  • TopStarRacer: Happy 33rd Birthday Excitebike, the one that started it all!
    November 30, 2017, 11:32:16 AM

Author Topic: Recording games...  (Read 1292 times)

Offline JoomX

• I Am The
  • Administrator
  • TGC Junkie
  • It's all about the game...
    • View Profile
Recording games...
« on: January 07, 2012, 12:28:22 AM »
I was thinking about this while racing a few minutes ago, thought I'd take a minute to post this.  Some of you already know it.

A lot of us like to grab snapshots or record video of a game we're playing, especially when online.  There are a million ways to do it, but this is an easy way to get quick, easy, and nice video or screenshots.

Besides a computer, which you all have, you'll need a composite splitter and a USB video capture device.  Both can be picked up for a few bucks.  I like the StarTech capture unit myself for a quick carry-around unit, but the EasyCap is quite a bit cheaper ($5-$10) and works okay.  For a splitter, just Google "composite video splitter" and pick the cheapest one you can find.  Attached is a quick and dirty diagram of the setup.

Next thing you need is the right capture software.  Most any decent NLE (video editor) will do this, as well as a lot of other capture programs.  What I recommend, though, is a video surveillance program that works perfectly for this and is free.  It's called ContaCam.  ContaCam works with most any USB type input device, as well as other types of input.

http://www.contaware.com/content/view/44/46/

Once you have your equipment hooked up as in the diagram, you just load ContaCam and choose the input, and you're ready to record in-game video or grab snapshots whenever you want with a mouse click.  Much better and easier than using a camera.

As I said, some of you already have a setup similar to this, but for those who don't it's a cheap/easy/quick way to get anything you want off the screen in good quality on any console on any game.  All you need is a PC or laptop with a USB port to plug the capture unit into.

And I'm looking forward to seeing more racing/shooter videos and screenshots... ;) 8)
A computer once beat me at chess, but as it turns out it was no match for me at kickboxing... ;)

Offline JoomX

• I Am The
  • Administrator
  • TGC Junkie
    • View Profile
Re: Recording games...
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2012, 10:26:49 PM »
Update:

I've been working with the developer of ContaCam to make a few improvements to the software for the game recording side of things, and the latest version is great.  Can't get any better...
A computer once beat me at chess, but as it turns out it was no match for me at kickboxing... ;)

Offline TopStarRacer

• Excite Win Junkie
  • TGC Junkie
  • Race on!
    • View Profile
    • TopStarRacer's YouTube Channel
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2012, 11:28:39 PM »
Thanks JOOM. I got a $25 gift card a while back and have yet to figure out what to do with it. I am considering getting something to record gaming video but wasn't sure how it works or how expensive. Good quality like BIG AIR's or BTC's is what I am looking for (as well as great audio.)

BIG AIR and BTC - What do you guys use?

Offline BIG AIR

• Somebody stop this thing!
  • somebody stop this thing
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 29, 2012, 07:28:45 AM »
Top,

I think BTC uses a converter box that costs about 80.00. I think it's called Dazzle by Pinnacle.

I unfortunately have to capture directly to an old DV tape camera.... then capture the footage to my computer. It's a pain but the quality is pretty good.

Offline Battletanx_Commander

• Master Chef
  • Clawing my way to victory ever boost of the way...
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 29, 2012, 08:36:59 AM »
Yeah, I do use a amplifier box Big Air however there is an easier way to do it I have found out. If you use splitter cables for each of the sources (mono, stereo and video) you will have the same effect as using a amplifier to distribute the signals to more sources. You would need female to male splitters and it would probably be much cheaper depending on how low of a price you could get for three splitters. Also, I have Dazzle HD which I found on Amazon because prices can sometimes be cheap there but it is normally $49.99.
I am Truck Norris

Offline TopStarRacer

• Excite Win Junkie
  • TGC Junkie
  • Race on!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2012, 12:02:23 AM »
So I'm not sure I'm understanding the setup quite right (the diagram is too simple.) Could one of you throw me a better picture of what a splitter looks like and what it does exactly? It looks to me like you put the RCA cables from the Wii into it and it the splitter sends a wire to both the computer and TV?

Offline Battletanx_Commander

• Master Chef
  • Clawing my way to victory ever boost of the way...
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2012, 11:34:38 AM »
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp;jsessionid=BDE64CCD773A534331B9E84DFCAA2749?id=cat13506&type=page&skuId=6627787&productId=1218245857107&defurl=false&h=387 That is a splitter, essentially you plug the Wii's composite cables into splitters which creates a second source of video and audio feed which you can redirect to another source, in this case a video recorder, while the other source goes to your TV.
I am Truck Norris

Offline TopStarRacer

• Excite Win Junkie
  • TGC Junkie
  • Race on!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2012, 07:48:09 PM »
Oh ok, that clears up my confusion. Thanks BTC.

Offline Ian bell

• Rookie
  • Yup, here I am...
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2014, 10:49:17 AM »
 Security Monitor Pro is a powerful video surveillance software that supports up to 32 IP cameras.  It has time based recording and motion detection alerting, and remote viewing, along with many other features that are useful. Easy to use and reliable and supports just about every IP camera efficiently. This is perfect for a business owner or homeowner.

Offline TopStarRacer

• Excite Win Junkie
  • TGC Junkie
  • Race on!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2016, 10:16:34 PM »
So I invested in a new capture card to replace the Dazzle I was using. I now have the Elgato HD60 and love how much better it is. The software is easier to use than Pinnacle and I can now record HD content. :D

Also after over 6 years I realized my Wii was set to 480i on an HDTV instead of 480p. Noticed quite the difference in capture quality.  :-X

Offline JoomX

• I Am The
  • Administrator
  • TGC Junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2016, 03:32:19 PM »
I haven't captured anything in a couple years now, wish they'd announce a new EB...