TGC ShoutBox

Refresh History
  • Forum rules apply here! Only members can Shout.
  • TopStarRacer: Happy birthday BTC! :D
    January 10, 2018, 03:48:28 AM
  • JoomX: Got a birthday coming up, eh BTC?  Make it a good one...  :)
    January 06, 2018, 04:58:58 PM
  • JoomX: Well, it's 2018.  9 years old and EB is still the best racing game on the planet...
    January 01, 2018, 04:20:18 PM
  • JoomX: Back at ya, Top.  Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to all.  And yes, EB 2018 would be the best Christmas gift...
    December 24, 2017, 05:14:14 PM
  • TopStarRacer: Merry Christmas and Happy New Year everyone! Here's hoping a new EB comes out in 2018! We can dream right?
    December 24, 2017, 12:07:19 AM
  • JoomX: Wow, four members here today.  It's a revival...  ;D
    December 13, 2017, 11:20:09 PM
  • theJudeAbides: Just need Snooog and Big Air to come back... and for theJude to go away. :D :P
    December 13, 2017, 05:59:08 AM
  • FLASH: Not at all! That's not even the comic book Barry Allen, but I'm ok with Ezra Miller as the Flash. Superman is more my speed these days  8)
    December 10, 2017, 10:17:37 AM
  • TopStarRacer: Hey FLASH! I saw Justice League the other day. How much do you relate to FLASH? :P
    December 08, 2017, 08:45:44 PM
  • JoomX: Good to see you too, Flash.  Too bad we don't have a good game we could all get into and hang out more often...
    December 08, 2017, 01:51:51 PM
  • FLASH: Long time no see Agent C! Good to see you around! BTC wished me a Happy Thanksgiving a few weeks ago so I figured I'd check in and see what's up. Hope you all are doing well!
    December 08, 2017, 01:33:09 PM
  • JoomX: Yes it would, Top.  Miss chatting with the old crew, including Dynamo.  And hey there, Agent C, good to see you...  :)
    December 04, 2017, 12:45:57 PM
  • TopStarRacer: Now if only BIG AIR and Snooog could pop in...be nice to hear from those old farts.
    December 02, 2017, 01:14:34 AM
  • TopStarRacer: The legend himself, how is the ol' AC?  Miss racing and chatting with you!
    December 02, 2017, 01:13:34 AM
  • Agent C: ;D
    December 01, 2017, 07:33:59 PM
  • Agent C: Oh, and Nintendo Switch sucks, wouldn't buy it for $50!
    December 01, 2017, 07:33:29 PM
  • Agent C: See, been that long, forgot it tells who is saying what! :P
    December 01, 2017, 07:31:55 PM
  • Agent C: Agent C, checking in after a long time. Hope everyone is doing well. I'm still around.
    December 01, 2017, 07:30:57 PM
  • JoomX: 33rd?  Wow...
    December 01, 2017, 11:42:04 AM
  • TopStarRacer: Happy 33rd Birthday Excitebike, the one that started it all!
    November 30, 2017, 11:32:16 AM

Author Topic: If you like turn-based strategy...  (Read 841 times)

Offline Schprocket

• Skippy...Skippy.... Skippy the Bush Kangaroooooo
    • View Profile
If you like turn-based strategy...
« on: April 13, 2013, 11:02:48 AM »
...check out these kick-starters. Both are built with the Unity engine and my dearest hope is to see them translated to the Wii U since it's tablet is just screaming for something to do besides play platformers, puzzlers, and hold inventory and maps :)

Hi everybody - the psychotic roo hasn't been bounding around for some time and this is a quick fly-by just to say G'day and yeah, I'm still alive :)

So anyway, the two games I'm about to tell you about are not yet finalised but if you're mature enough to know the difference between an alpha, a beta, and a release version of a game, then these projects may interest you.

The first one is a Kick-starter project - you can ask JoomX why he hasn't posted about it, apart from the fact it's not being alpha tested as yet - and it hails from a German company called King Arts Games.

The game is called Battle Worlds: Kronos

If you're interested, check out the kick-starter here - $20 gets you a digital download on release and instant closed-beta access

I've gone stupid on this one and pledged enough to get alpha testing access.

The other turn-based strategy game is based on the original Battletech board game but according to the designers - who loved the board game - a game can be resolved in about 20 minutes instead of 3 hours :) , and after each player has finished their respective attack and move phase, 3D animation of the turn resolution plays out. At the end of the game, all turn sequences are played back as one post-match movie.

Mechwarrior Tactics is a browser-based, Unity-plugin powered game is currently in closed beta and as little as $20 will give you immediate access to the beta with enough credit to buy a few packs.

The game uses a collectable card base to determine and distribute Mech components and originally I thought that this would rely on a continuous subscription model to be able to play and that it was a case of "he with the most dough gets all the god-gear" but according to a very long, pre-alpha interview-cum-gaming-session (below), it was revealed that the collectable card mechanic determines the randomness of the distribution of the various Rares down through to Commons (collectable card-gamers will understand what I mean) and in that respect makes it relatively fair. There's also a balance in that you can grind your way up, earn 'scrap' which you may then trade-in for card sets.

You may find the Pommy interviewer's interjections whilst the dev is talking is a PITA... but it gets better as his squealy-boy excitement to play settles down :)

A big hint - if you do decide to buy into MWT's beta, read all of the newbie guides, particularly about which sets to buy - you'll be surprised

Umm yeah, I'm in on this one as well.... maybe I'll see iyou in there ? :)

« Last Edit: April 13, 2013, 11:15:59 AM by Schprocket »

Offline theJudeAbides

• The Most Interesting Jerk on the Internet
  • I'm theJude, deal with it.
    • View Profile
Re: If you like turn-based strategy...
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2013, 04:00:57 PM »
Meh, I've still got my Conquest of the New World and my Warlords III: Reign of Heroes as well as an old Windows 98 machine to run them on, so I'm good.  Unless you can find me another cool exploration and colony building TPS or an army-building, city-seiging, Heroes with RPG elements type TPS, I'll stick with what I have, thank you. :D

Yes, I still own and play games that are older than some of the kids on these boards.  I don't expect them to understand, they're just kids.

Oh, and welcome back, Schprocket, now I have somebody to aim my snide australian remarks at again. ;D
I don't always play videogames, but when I do, I prefer Excitebots.  Keep spinning, my friends.  8)
theJude's Backloggery

Offline Schprocket

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2013, 12:36:53 AM »
Hi Jude!  ;D

How about this kick-starter, then?

Worlds of Magic is a genuine spiritual successor to the classic fantasy 4X games, with a D20 inspired tactical combat system!

But if that means nothing, then try being along the lines of Microprose's Masters of Magic.

This is an alpha-build video - interesting use of squares instead of hexes... oh that makes for a great gaming double-entendre, and it wasn't deliberate!

Worlds of Magic will not only seek to capture the charm of the timeless classic that serves as its inspiration, but also go beyond it in a number of areas.

10 Leaders To Choose From (Or Create Your Own)
    6 Factions To Rule Over
    80 Units To Use In Battle
    12 Spell Circles
    300 Spells To Learn And Master
    7 Planes To Explore And Conquer
    45 Special Units (Heroes, Champions, and Titans)

Offline Schprocket

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2015, 09:14:16 AM »
... so, eventually, I backed BW:K, enough to get four Alpha keys and a steel tin.

Played the beta for a while then the ADHD kicked in and I forgot about it for some time.

A long time.

I think I installed the game from digital download when available and promptly "round tuited" it out of my memory, save for the ocassional reminder when I happened to actually look at the launch icon on the desktop.

Now, two years down the track, I've got three hard drives set up on the one PC, each with Windows X installed, one for music, one for games and one for work.

Re-installed BW;K, got at least one of my sons to install it on his wheezing six year old PC and having a blast discovering how to play.

Turn-based strategy, - my son reckons the rules play similar to A&A Miniatures -, multi-platform, multiplayer vs or co-op. Local hot-seat and internet.
Set up multiplayer games with a time-out for response - great idea since I've played a few rounds and there was always one guy who we'd be waiting for.. and it actually wasn't me! :)

Also been looking at a few TCG-style games as well... and I see there's been postings about a game called Distance... :)

Dumb question time - do we have a thread for Steam IDs?

Offline Feeble

• Rookie
  • Veni vidi vomui
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2015, 07:00:13 PM »
Hey, guys. I have recently played this one on my Android and was not disapointed, even with the simplistic graphics and UI:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.tresebrothers.games.factionwars

And you can play it for free!