TGC ShoutBox

Refresh History
  • Forum rules apply here! Only members can Shout.
  • TopStarRacer: Happy birthday BTC! :D
    January 10, 2018, 03:48:28 AM
  • JoomX: Got a birthday coming up, eh BTC?  Make it a good one...  :)
    January 06, 2018, 04:58:58 PM
  • JoomX: Well, it's 2018.  9 years old and EB is still the best racing game on the planet...
    January 01, 2018, 04:20:18 PM
  • JoomX: Back at ya, Top.  Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to all.  And yes, EB 2018 would be the best Christmas gift...
    December 24, 2017, 05:14:14 PM
  • TopStarRacer: Merry Christmas and Happy New Year everyone! Here's hoping a new EB comes out in 2018! We can dream right?
    December 24, 2017, 12:07:19 AM
  • JoomX: Wow, four members here today.  It's a revival...  ;D
    December 13, 2017, 11:20:09 PM
  • theJudeAbides: Just need Snooog and Big Air to come back... and for theJude to go away. :D :P
    December 13, 2017, 05:59:08 AM
  • FLASH: Not at all! That's not even the comic book Barry Allen, but I'm ok with Ezra Miller as the Flash. Superman is more my speed these days  8)
    December 10, 2017, 10:17:37 AM
  • TopStarRacer: Hey FLASH! I saw Justice League the other day. How much do you relate to FLASH? :P
    December 08, 2017, 08:45:44 PM
  • JoomX: Good to see you too, Flash.  Too bad we don't have a good game we could all get into and hang out more often...
    December 08, 2017, 01:51:51 PM
  • FLASH: Long time no see Agent C! Good to see you around! BTC wished me a Happy Thanksgiving a few weeks ago so I figured I'd check in and see what's up. Hope you all are doing well!
    December 08, 2017, 01:33:09 PM
  • JoomX: Yes it would, Top.  Miss chatting with the old crew, including Dynamo.  And hey there, Agent C, good to see you...  :)
    December 04, 2017, 12:45:57 PM
  • TopStarRacer: Now if only BIG AIR and Snooog could pop in...be nice to hear from those old farts.
    December 02, 2017, 01:14:34 AM
  • TopStarRacer: The legend himself, how is the ol' AC?  Miss racing and chatting with you!
    December 02, 2017, 01:13:34 AM
  • Agent C: ;D
    December 01, 2017, 07:33:59 PM
  • Agent C: Oh, and Nintendo Switch sucks, wouldn't buy it for $50!
    December 01, 2017, 07:33:29 PM
  • Agent C: See, been that long, forgot it tells who is saying what! :P
    December 01, 2017, 07:31:55 PM
  • Agent C: Agent C, checking in after a long time. Hope everyone is doing well. I'm still around.
    December 01, 2017, 07:30:57 PM
  • JoomX: 33rd?  Wow...
    December 01, 2017, 11:42:04 AM
  • TopStarRacer: Happy 33rd Birthday Excitebike, the one that started it all!
    November 30, 2017, 11:32:16 AM

Author Topic: Anybody wanna FPS?  (Read 2918 times)

Offline JoomX

• I Am The
  • Administrator
  • TGC Junkie
  • It's all about the game...
    • View Profile
Anybody wanna FPS?
« on: May 19, 2013, 10:27:00 AM »
Was doing some work stuff this morning, looked up something on the net, hit a game site by accident.

And found this:

http://www.freewarefiles.com/Alien-Arena_program_23154.html

Downloaded it, installed it, dropped into an online game in progress without meaning to, and won the round.  Somehow.

Seems to be a fun one, and there are plenty of servers going.  And we can make our own.  Just a little 400+mb download and you're good to go.

I'll be around...  8)
A computer once beat me at chess, but as it turns out it was no match for me at kickboxing... ;)

Offline JoomX

• I Am The
  • Administrator
  • TGC Junkie
    • View Profile
Re: Anybody wanna FPS?
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2013, 12:17:04 PM »
Okay, over time I'd forgotten that you can't really smoke, drink coffee, and snack while FPSing.  :-X

Just got roasted, fried, fragged, tagged, bagged, and sent to school.  :P

I need some rookies that will let me take my hands off the mouse/keyboard whenever I want...  8)
A computer once beat me at chess, but as it turns out it was no match for me at kickboxing... ;)

Offline JoomX

• I Am The
  • Administrator
  • TGC Junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2013, 02:35:48 PM »
Loving this game so far.  Old style CoD 1 type playability with a Quake type futuristic weapons feel.  Still getting killed a lot by the guys who know the levels better, but at least I have a chance and get in my share of the action.

Nothing beats EB when I'm on the phone or preoccupied, but for now when I have a half hour I can dedicate it will be here...

Offline JoomX

• I Am The
  • Administrator
  • TGC Junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2013, 06:58:53 PM »
Man, liking this game more all the time.  Won a round, came in second on three rounds, got totally toasted a couple times on levels/maps I hadn't seen, and that was all before I figured out how everybody else was flying.

And, I didn't get disconnected once.  :o

I really have to figure out how to play one handed, though, my coffee gets cold...  ::)

Offline Feeble

• Rookie
  • Veni vidi vomui
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2013, 07:50:12 PM »
Sounds like fun  8) .

Offline Feeble

• Rookie
  • Veni vidi vomui
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2013, 07:59:59 PM »
The only thing, for me, is that as a Lawyer I reeeeaaaaly have to write a lot on a daily basis (yes, unfortunately in Civil Law there is much more paper bullcrap than in Common Law). So the mouse-keyboard combo, for me, fun as it is, hurts my arms after I developed some tendinitis. Doesn't keep me from playing, but it is kind of a nuisance.  :(

Offline JoomX

• I Am The
  • Administrator
  • TGC Junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2013, 08:20:58 PM »
Let me know what you think if it after you've tried it, Feeble...

Offline theJudeAbides

• The Most Interesting Jerk on the Internet
  • I'm theJude, deal with it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2013, 06:32:08 AM »
Still playing this, Joom?  Now that I've got a new computer, I've been thinking about getting a shooter or two to play, especially if it's fun and chaotic.  Serious Sam 3 has my eye, but I'm not sure.  I haven't really been keeping up with shooters (particularly on the PC), so I don't really know what's out there.  Any recommendations?

Also, anything we could co-op through would probably be fun.  I remember play Serious Sam: The Second Encounter co-op and just having a blast with that game (still have it if you don't mind playing a game with non-modern graphics).
I don't always play videogames, but when I do, I prefer Excitebots.  Keep spinning, my friends.  8)
theJude's Backloggery

Offline JoomX

• I Am The
  • Administrator
  • TGC Junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2013, 10:52:48 AM »
Hard to beat Serious Sam in any version, tJ.  Co-op was just chaotic, way too much fun, but even single player was great.

Haven't had a chance to play this one much lately, but still playing it.  I don't think it has a co-op mode, but I'll have to check.  I don't remember every having a problem finding regular rooms, though.  And you can pick and choose which servers you want to jump into, which is nice.

Best two things about this one were that it's a great old school style FPS, and it's free...

Offline JoomX

• I Am The
  • Administrator
  • TGC Junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2014, 02:25:41 PM »
Well, I ended up being away from this game for the last year, but with the loss of the EB servers I've been having some game separation anxiety, and until I find a suitable race game to get back into, I've been looking for something to fill the void.  Then I remembered this one.

I haven't been through a refresher yet, but plan on it over the next couple days.  Meantime, I checked out their forums and they seem to be pretty good people, so I registered over there.

I have to get used to the controls again, and do a little practicing, but it looks like that's where I'll be spending my game time for now.  Online, with Alien Arena.  I know it's a PC game and not console, which puts some people off, but I hope to see some of the crew here in the game from time to time.  If you jump in, just look for the bloody stump on the ground - that will be me...  ;D

Offline JoomX

• I Am The
  • Administrator
  • TGC Junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2014, 03:00:08 PM »
Just got chewed out on their forums for not being good enough at this game and not paying attention to everything I was told.  :-[

Got a PM from one of the members that was going to show me something saying "Thanks for wasting my time".  Guess I'll be looking for another FPS...

Offline FLASH

• FC: 0648-3542-8677
  • TGC Junkie
  • Fastest Man Alive
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 25, 2014, 09:44:46 PM »
They sound friendly!:P

Offline JoomX

• I Am The
  • Administrator
  • TGC Junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 25, 2014, 11:20:43 PM »
They did seem friendly, and I'm sure some of them are.  It's always the jerks that do the damage to a community.  They were talking about things getting slow in their forums and in the online game, and how to get more people in.  I could tell them what not to do, and maybe why things are slowing down there.

On the flip side, since I wasn't hanging out there I went looking and - I just bought a new game.  It's the one I've been looking for the past couple years.  A modern old school FPS.  Exactly what I've been wishing somebody would come out with.  I'm still looking for racing games, but this is finally the modern FPS I can get into.

Check out the video here:

http://toxikk.com/videos/

Not quite out yet, but I own it.  Ground floor of a brand new game that's a perfect FPS.  I'm a happy guy again...  ;D

Offline theJudeAbides

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 26, 2014, 05:08:16 AM »
NOOOOIIIIICE.  That game looks sweet, Joom.  You got my attention.  May need to get a beefier graphics card, and a bit more memory... keep me informed.
I don't always play videogames, but when I do, I prefer Excitebots.  Keep spinning, my friends.  8)
theJude's Backloggery

Offline JoomX

• I Am The
  • Administrator
  • TGC Junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 26, 2014, 06:44:33 AM »
I'll let you know how it goes, tJ, but I'm expecting good things.  Sweet looking game, and can't beat the price.  And, we'd be in at the beginning.

I'll post any news...

Offline FLASH

• FC: 0648-3542-8677
  • TGC Junkie
  • Fastest Man Alive
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 28, 2014, 07:04:40 PM »
That looks sweet! It reminds me of Halo just a little bit, but I'll be sure to look into it.

Offline JoomX

• I Am The
  • Administrator
  • TGC Junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 28, 2014, 08:05:14 PM »
Looks like it's going to be great stuff, Flash.  And I'm already getting all the old farts together to go up against the younguns when it's released.

Been a long, long time since I've played much, but it's exactly the FPS I've been looking for all this time.  Hope you get in on it...

Offline JoomX

• I Am The
  • Administrator
  • TGC Junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 28, 2014, 08:06:00 PM »
And I think I'll set up a C3 channel for it...

Offline theJudeAbides

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 29, 2014, 03:13:02 AM »
Got a long weekend starting tomorrow (4 days, wo-hoooo!! :o :P ;D).  Gonna head down to Micro center to see if I can get some advice on Video Cards (I tried looking at them online, but they all just seem the same to me).  I'm also thinking of adding a couple sticks of ram to boost me up from 8 GB to 16 GB.  Either way, though, I'll be getting this soon.  I'll probably try to chat you up some time this weekend, so keep an eye out for a shout.
theJude's Backloggery

Offline JoomX

• I Am The
  • Administrator
  • TGC Junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 29, 2014, 06:36:54 PM »
Sounds like a plan, just let me know.  I'll be in and out.

Good luck on the video card search.  I'm using an older Radeon with 1GB of GDDR3 in an i7 machine with 16GB right now for games, but sometime in the next month I'll be getting a new system with the latest gen i7 and 32gb of RAM, with the Radeon R9 290 with 4gb of GDDR5.  Not the hottest video card on the planet by a stretch, but should be fine.

None of those fancy gaming keyboards or mice for me, though.  Plain old, plain old.

Let me know when you wanna chat, I'll be in and out this weekend...

Offline theJudeAbides

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 20, 2014, 03:10:27 AM »
Looks like they released a new gameplay trailer which shows actual gameplay:

I keep getting more and more excited for this game, and hopefully this means they're getting close to releasing the beta! :D
theJude's Backloggery

Offline JoomX

• I Am The
  • Administrator
  • TGC Junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 20, 2014, 01:43:10 PM »
Sorry I haven't been around, tJ.  First it was the brother-in-law in the hospital, now doing hospice at home to help take care of, and now a couple weeks or so ago my herniated discs in the lower back pinched my sciatic nerve and I've been mostly down and out since then.  Lots of pain.  Crawl into the office once in a while, but don't do much.  Got an appointment next Tuesday.

Hopefully I'll be back in shape when beta is release, and hopefully have the new PC built by then...

Offline theJudeAbides

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 20, 2014, 08:30:08 PM »
So, without any Excitebots to play, you slipped a disc?!?  Sounds like grounds for a lawsuit! :o ??? ::)

Sorry to hear you're laid up, Joom.  Hope you get better.  Back pain is never fun, because it hurts to do anything and everything. :(

Don't worry about me, I'm busy enough getting my butt whooped in StarCraft II like I'm Adrian Peterson's son.  Hey-OH!!  (But seriously, AP is a dick, that child was 4 years old!)
theJude's Backloggery

Offline Schprocket

• Skippy...Skippy.... Skippy the Bush Kangaroooooo
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 09, 2015, 10:12:26 AM »
You guys are bad news. really.

I'd been avoiding driving games and FPSs like the plague (OK, so I saw a trailer for Overkill today. That weakened me).

So I just got Distance lined up to DL off Steam. And I just watched the trailer. It sums up everything wrong with FPSs today.
(I mean who the hell makes it easier for good players to get better weapons to make it even easier to win with?)

I'm so onto this. Damn you Joom. You did well, son Here's your vehicles, mate :)

Offline Schprocket

• Skippy...Skippy.... Skippy the Bush Kangaroooooo
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 10, 2015, 10:22:16 AM »
.. and what a literal blast.

Never had so much fun having my arse handed to me by bots as in the quick round I had tonight. Ace!

Offline theJudeAbides

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 15, 2015, 06:38:54 AM »
Hey Schprock, want to get together this weekend for some shooting (still haven't managed to get together with Joom for this)?  I haven't played in a while (there has probably been several updates since I last played), so maybe we can team up and let the comps beat on us. :D :P

Let me know.  Also: Voice Chat.  I've got C3, TeamSpeak, and Ventrilo, and could be pretty easily convinced to finally download Mumble.  Let me know what you want, and we can work it out.
theJude's Backloggery

Offline JoomX

• I Am The
  • Administrator
  • TGC Junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 25, 2016, 03:53:48 PM »
I miss this game, but I had to switch over last fall to satellite only.  With a ping time of around 900ms.  >:(

Haven't even thought about playing anything online since then...  :(

Offline theJudeAbides

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 05, 2016, 07:02:43 PM »
That's a bummer, Joom, never did get a chance to play with you.  Go get yourself a decent internet connection so we can shoot each other! :D
theJude's Backloggery

Offline JoomX

• I Am The
  • Administrator
  • TGC Junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 05, 2016, 07:40:47 PM »
I'd love to, TJ, but just not available out here.  The one I had was wireless, run by a one man company, and it all went south.  Got so it just didn't work at all.  I suppose someday we might get real internet here in the boonies, but I probably won't see it...  >:(