TGC ShoutBox

Refresh History
  • Forum rules apply here! Only members can Shout.
  • TopStarRacer: Happy birthday BTC! :D
    January 10, 2018, 03:48:28 AM
  • JoomX: Got a birthday coming up, eh BTC?  Make it a good one...  :)
    January 06, 2018, 04:58:58 PM
  • JoomX: Well, it's 2018.  9 years old and EB is still the best racing game on the planet...
    January 01, 2018, 04:20:18 PM
  • JoomX: Back at ya, Top.  Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to all.  And yes, EB 2018 would be the best Christmas gift...
    December 24, 2017, 05:14:14 PM
  • TopStarRacer: Merry Christmas and Happy New Year everyone! Here's hoping a new EB comes out in 2018! We can dream right?
    December 24, 2017, 12:07:19 AM
  • JoomX: Wow, four members here today.  It's a revival...  ;D
    December 13, 2017, 11:20:09 PM
  • theJudeAbides: Just need Snooog and Big Air to come back... and for theJude to go away. :D :P
    December 13, 2017, 05:59:08 AM
  • FLASH: Not at all! That's not even the comic book Barry Allen, but I'm ok with Ezra Miller as the Flash. Superman is more my speed these days  8)
    December 10, 2017, 10:17:37 AM
  • TopStarRacer: Hey FLASH! I saw Justice League the other day. How much do you relate to FLASH? :P
    December 08, 2017, 08:45:44 PM
  • JoomX: Good to see you too, Flash.  Too bad we don't have a good game we could all get into and hang out more often...
    December 08, 2017, 01:51:51 PM
  • FLASH: Long time no see Agent C! Good to see you around! BTC wished me a Happy Thanksgiving a few weeks ago so I figured I'd check in and see what's up. Hope you all are doing well!
    December 08, 2017, 01:33:09 PM
  • JoomX: Yes it would, Top.  Miss chatting with the old crew, including Dynamo.  And hey there, Agent C, good to see you...  :)
    December 04, 2017, 12:45:57 PM
  • TopStarRacer: Now if only BIG AIR and Snooog could pop in...be nice to hear from those old farts.
    December 02, 2017, 01:14:34 AM
  • TopStarRacer: The legend himself, how is the ol' AC?  Miss racing and chatting with you!
    December 02, 2017, 01:13:34 AM
  • Agent C: ;D
    December 01, 2017, 07:33:59 PM
  • Agent C: Oh, and Nintendo Switch sucks, wouldn't buy it for $50!
    December 01, 2017, 07:33:29 PM
  • Agent C: See, been that long, forgot it tells who is saying what! :P
    December 01, 2017, 07:31:55 PM
  • Agent C: Agent C, checking in after a long time. Hope everyone is doing well. I'm still around.
    December 01, 2017, 07:30:57 PM
  • JoomX: 33rd?  Wow...
    December 01, 2017, 11:42:04 AM
  • TopStarRacer: Happy 33rd Birthday Excitebike, the one that started it all!
    November 30, 2017, 11:32:16 AM

Author Topic: Important! System change...  (Read 1065 times)

Offline JoomX

• I Am The
  • Administrator
  • TGC Junkie
  • It's all about the game...
    • View Profile
Important! System change...
« on: December 07, 2013, 03:07:38 PM »
Renewal for TGC is up today, and I just found out they're increasing the price of my hosting to $292.00.

I'm not going to pay that, so I'm going to change web hosts.  That means the forums will be down for a couple days starting this evening.

It also means I won't be able to transfer post attachments to the new host, too many of them.  I've backed up the forums themselves and should be able to restore everything in the new host, but not the file and image attachments that go with them.

If you have any attachments you want saved from here, grab them this evening.  Sorry for the short notice.

Forums should be back up in a couple days.  Won't have time to answer any questions right now, going to be busy the rest of the day/night getting this ready...
A computer once beat me at chess, but as it turns out it was no match for me at kickboxing... ;)

Offline theJudeAbides

• The Most Interesting Jerk on the Internet
  • I'm theJude, deal with it.
    • View Profile
Re: Important! System change...
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2013, 08:30:01 PM »
Interesting.  Have you ever considered buying a server and hosting yourself, or is that prohibatively expensive?  I wouldn't think, for a site this small, that you would need too powerful of a machine to do it.
I don't always play videogames, but when I do, I prefer Excitebots.  Keep spinning, my friends.  8)
theJude's Backloggery

Offline TopStarRacer

• Excite Win Junkie
  • TGC Junkie
  • Race on!
    • View Profile
    • TopStarRacer's YouTube Channel
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2013, 11:00:20 PM »
Well thankfully I saved most EBTR related attachments to my hard drive. Can't be losing record-breaking history now can we?

See everyone in a couple days I guess...

Offline JoomX

• I Am The
  • Administrator
  • TGC Junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2013, 01:03:04 AM »
Interesting.  Have you ever considered buying a server and hosting yourself, or is that prohibatively expensive?  I wouldn't think, for a site this small, that you would need too powerful of a machine to do it.

I've got lots of machines just laying around I could use as a server, just don't have the bandwidth or stability.  Even though there aren't too many members here, the visitors and (especially) search engine bots suck up a lot of bandwidth.  It would be like giving a hundred people a day access to your home router.  Even if it weren't for the bandwidth, our net here is sporadic at best.  There would be a lot of downtime.  That's why I don't use my own servers for any of my websites.

I'm still considering options, though.  Just need a few more cups of coffee...
A computer once beat me at chess, but as it turns out it was no match for me at kickboxing... ;)

Offline JoomX

• I Am The
  • Administrator
  • TGC Junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2013, 02:02:30 PM »
Okay, nevermind.  Too many other things going on and too much trouble to do a whole changeover in so little time.  Just went ahead and paid the $292.00 for the year.  I'll figure out something different before the next renewal comes up.

Carry on...

Offline Agent C

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2013, 10:45:50 AM »
Okay, nevermind.  Too many other things going on and too much trouble to do a whole changeover in so little time.  Just went ahead and paid the $292.00 for the year.  I'll figure out something different before the next renewal comes up.

Carry on...

Thanks Joom! That does seem a bit pricey though. :-X

Offline JoomX

• I Am The
  • Administrator
  • TGC Junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2013, 03:07:15 PM »
Yup, they jacked their prices way up.  Probably figuring most people wouldn't want to go to the trouble of moving their sites if they had much going on.  I'll be making a change by next year...

Offline theJudeAbides

• The Most Interesting Jerk on the Internet
  • I'm theJude, deal with it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2013, 08:22:07 PM »
Yeah, it just like how apartments like to jack up their rent every year when it comes time to renew your lease, figuring people will just accept it rather go through the hassle of moving.

*sigh* Apartment prices around here have just gotten ridiculous.  Back in 2007, when I rented my first place, it cost around $700 a month for a 1-room apartment of decent quality.  Now, it hard to find a place for under $900.  $200 in 6 years?  That's BS and not even inflation can account for that (although the housing collapse and increase in renters certainly doesn't help).  A person with a steady job shouldn't need government assistance just to afford a place to live, but in this market, it's getting a lot harder.
I don't always play videogames, but when I do, I prefer Excitebots.  Keep spinning, my friends.  8)
theJude's Backloggery

Offline JoomX

• I Am The
  • Administrator
  • TGC Junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2013, 05:31:24 PM »
I like the way they keep trying to spin that the economy is getting better.  And apparently a lot of people are buying into that.

And the politicians that are telling citizens that they need to be more responsible with their money and credit don't seem to know what being fiscally responsible means - got the country trillions of dollars in debt with no way out.  But unlike us, they get to raise their own debt ceiling.  That way they can keep giving themselves raises.

And we must be doing really well, we keep giving piles of money to other countries...  ;)