TGC ShoutBox

Refresh History
  • Forum rules apply here! Only members can Shout.
  • TopStarRacer: Happy birthday BTC! :D
    January 10, 2018, 03:48:28 AM
  • JoomX: Got a birthday coming up, eh BTC?  Make it a good one...  :)
    January 06, 2018, 04:58:58 PM
  • JoomX: Well, it's 2018.  9 years old and EB is still the best racing game on the planet...
    January 01, 2018, 04:20:18 PM
  • JoomX: Back at ya, Top.  Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to all.  And yes, EB 2018 would be the best Christmas gift...
    December 24, 2017, 05:14:14 PM
  • TopStarRacer: Merry Christmas and Happy New Year everyone! Here's hoping a new EB comes out in 2018! We can dream right?
    December 24, 2017, 12:07:19 AM
  • JoomX: Wow, four members here today.  It's a revival...  ;D
    December 13, 2017, 11:20:09 PM
  • theJudeAbides: Just need Snooog and Big Air to come back... and for theJude to go away. :D :P
    December 13, 2017, 05:59:08 AM
  • FLASH: Not at all! That's not even the comic book Barry Allen, but I'm ok with Ezra Miller as the Flash. Superman is more my speed these days  8)
    December 10, 2017, 10:17:37 AM
  • TopStarRacer: Hey FLASH! I saw Justice League the other day. How much do you relate to FLASH? :P
    December 08, 2017, 08:45:44 PM
  • JoomX: Good to see you too, Flash.  Too bad we don't have a good game we could all get into and hang out more often...
    December 08, 2017, 01:51:51 PM
  • FLASH: Long time no see Agent C! Good to see you around! BTC wished me a Happy Thanksgiving a few weeks ago so I figured I'd check in and see what's up. Hope you all are doing well!
    December 08, 2017, 01:33:09 PM
  • JoomX: Yes it would, Top.  Miss chatting with the old crew, including Dynamo.  And hey there, Agent C, good to see you...  :)
    December 04, 2017, 12:45:57 PM
  • TopStarRacer: Now if only BIG AIR and Snooog could pop in...be nice to hear from those old farts.
    December 02, 2017, 01:14:34 AM
  • TopStarRacer: The legend himself, how is the ol' AC?  Miss racing and chatting with you!
    December 02, 2017, 01:13:34 AM
  • Agent C: ;D
    December 01, 2017, 07:33:59 PM
  • Agent C: Oh, and Nintendo Switch sucks, wouldn't buy it for $50!
    December 01, 2017, 07:33:29 PM
  • Agent C: See, been that long, forgot it tells who is saying what! :P
    December 01, 2017, 07:31:55 PM
  • Agent C: Agent C, checking in after a long time. Hope everyone is doing well. I'm still around.
    December 01, 2017, 07:30:57 PM
  • JoomX: 33rd?  Wow...
    December 01, 2017, 11:42:04 AM
  • TopStarRacer: Happy 33rd Birthday Excitebike, the one that started it all!
    November 30, 2017, 11:32:16 AM

Author Topic: E3 2014  (Read 1489 times)

Offline theJudeAbides

• The Most Interesting Jerk on the Internet
  • I'm theJude, deal with it.
    • View Profile
E3 2014
« on: June 11, 2014, 05:08:11 AM »
So, I actually got up early today in order to watch Nintendo's presentation, and I have to say that, overall, I was pretty impressed!  I'll go over my thoughts on each of the games they showed:

Super Smash Bros. for Wii U/3DS - No surprise to me that they started off with this.  They introduced a few new characters, but overall not much else.  Kinda thought we'd get some concrete release dates, but we didn't.  Oh well, the people who are interested in this already know they're getting it, as will I.

amiibos - Technically not a game, but figures you'll be able to buy similar to Skylanders and Disney Infinity.  They'll be compatible with Super Smash Bros. and also other future games as well.  Personally, I'm probably going to get these because a) they look really cool and b) I like the concept of leveling up and customizing your characters in Smash.  I can see how some might see this as a blatent cash grab, but I'd disagree because they're completely optional (you can still play with all the characters without them) and seem to be really nicely designed.  Plus, imagine some future Excitebots game where you can buy mini-bot figures which will allow you to customize their stats, upgrade them, etc...  I would be SO into that it would be ridiculous!

Zelda (for Wii U) - WOW!!  Did not expect the Open-World announcement, but I think it's the right direction for the series.  In many ways, as they discussed, they're going back to the roots of the game, which is a good thing.  Oh, and it doesn't look bad, either! :o

Hyrule Warriors - Very interesting concept here.  Basically they're taking the Dynasty Warriors series and inserting Zelda characters.  I looks pretty cool and it might be fun.  I've never played a Dynasty Warriors game before, but I'd definitely be willing to give this a chance.

Yoshi's Wooly World/Kirby and the Rainbow Cruise - Both are very cutesy, fun looking platformers that I think will be fun.  I'll be keeping an eye on these.

Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker - Basically, a 3D Mario game where you play as Toad instead.  Could be interesting.  I'll probably check it out in time.

Mario Maker - FINALLY!!! I've been wanting this for years now!  We finally get an official Mario level creator and I'm super stoked about it!

Splatoon - To me this was the most surprising and interesting game Nintendo announced.  Check out this trailer:

Basically, it's a shooter, with a twist, and is meant to be family friendly.  I really dig the style of this and I think this could become "our new game."  It's multiplayer based and puts an interesting twist on an old but tried-n-true formula, just like a certain game we used to enjoy.

Xenoblade Chronicles X - Never been that big into JRPGs, but there are many who are, and it never hurts to have a more diverse set of games for the system, and from what I hear, this looks like a good game.

Bayonetta 2 - Looks like a pretty cool game, actually.  Never played the original but guess what?  It comes free on the disc as well, so now I'll be able to play it.

Anyways, those were my thoughts, what did you guys think?
I don't always play videogames, but when I do, I prefer Excitebots.  Keep spinning, my friends.  8)
theJude's Backloggery

Offline FLASH

• FC: 0648-3542-8677
  • TGC Junkie
  • Fastest Man Alive
    • View Profile
Re: E3 2014
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2014, 01:03:01 PM »
amiibos - Plus, imagine some future Excitebots game where you can buy mini-bot figures which will allow you to customize their stats, upgrade them, etc...  I would be SO into that it would be ridiculous!

Zelda (for Wii U) - WOW!!  Did not expect the Open-World announcement, but I think it's the right direction for the series.  In many ways, as they discussed, they're going back to the roots of the game, which is a good thing.  Oh, and it doesn't look bad, either! :o

Hyrule Warriors - Very interesting concept here.  Basically they're taking the Dynasty Warriors series and inserting Zelda characters.  I looks pretty cool and it might be fun.  I've never played a Dynasty Warriors game before, but I'd definitely be willing to give this a chance.

Yoshi's Wooly World/Kirby and the Rainbow Cruise - Both are very cutesy, fun looking platformers that I think will be fun.  I'll be keeping an eye on these.

Mario Maker - FINALLY!!! I've been wanting this for years now!  We finally get an official Mario level creator and I'm super stoked about it!

Splatoon - To me this was the most surprising and interesting game Nintendo announced.  Check out this trailer:

Basically, it's a shooter, with a twist, and is meant to be family friendly.  I really dig the style of this and I think this could become "our new game."  It's multiplayer based and puts an interesting twist on an old but tried-n-true formula, just like a certain game we used to enjoy.

Anyways, those were my thoughts, what did you guys think?
My first words when seeing Splatoon were "I can see myself spending a lot of time on this game." It's a shame it looks so, for lack of a better word, childish. Then again, Excitebots looked like that as well and ended up being the best game ever. I like how there will never be the exact same match in Splatoon and everything is constantly changing. I'm hoping everyone would be willing to give this one a try.

As for the other games above, yes.. They are the ones I really liked and the ones that stood out to me.

Offline JoomX

• I Am The
  • Administrator
  • TGC Junkie
  • It's all about the game...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2014, 01:33:24 PM »
My first words when seeing Splatoon were "I can see myself spending a lot of time on this game."

Looks okay, but why not a real FPS, Flash?
A computer once beat me at chess, but as it turns out it was no match for me at kickboxing... ;)

Offline theJudeAbides

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2014, 03:44:52 PM »

Because most "real" shooters these days are cover-based, XP-driven affairs, which you and I both dislike.

Splatoon, however, looks like a fast-paced, run-and-gun affair that would be quite frantic and fun.  It seems like it would be very easy to jump in for a few matches and then jump out again...
I don't always play videogames, but when I do, I prefer Excitebots.  Keep spinning, my friends.  8)
theJude's Backloggery

Offline JoomX

• I Am The
  • Administrator
  • TGC Junkie
  • It's all about the game...
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2014, 05:00:13 PM »
Nope, definitely don't care for the XP based systems.  I do still like that one we have, though, even though I haven't played it for quite a while...
A computer once beat me at chess, but as it turns out it was no match for me at kickboxing... ;)

Offline FLASH

• FC: 0648-3542-8677
  • TGC Junkie
  • Fastest Man Alive
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2014, 06:21:12 PM »
I tend not to be too good at those. The people who play are kind of like how we are with Ebots and it isn't much fun for me.

I don't think Splatoon will have near as much depth as Ebots so maybe it isn't a permanent solution but rather a fun little game to keep us busy for a bit.

Offline Agent C

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2014, 08:36:01 PM »
The SSBB, Zelda, and Mario Maker were my favorites out of that list. I'm sure SSBB would be the only one of those 3 with online play. I'm still doing research when I get a chance. How is Mario Kart 8? DynamO, Top, and Jude: have you 3 raced together yet?

I hope they have an upcoming Metroid game for the Wii U. The Metroid series is what I've been mostly playing since the shutdown.

Offline theJudeAbides

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2014, 04:20:25 AM »
No, Agent C, we haven't been able to get together yet, although I have raced a fair amount online now.  I've been busy with work and only have time in the wee-hours of the night to race.  TopStar has presumably been busy getting Excitebots to play online with homebrew.  Not sure what DynamO has been up to (can never tell with these Canadians :P).

Mario Kart 8 is fun, and is pretty well designed, but it has it's issues as well (I won't go into them now, and for the most part, they're pretty minor).  It's not an Excitebots replacement, but it is something fun to play in the meantime.

Which Metroid games have you been playing?  The older ones (Metroid on the NES and Super Metroid on the SNES, both available via the Virtual Console on the Wii), or the new ones (The Metroid Prime series).  Did you spring for the Metroid Trilogy tin?  Those are a bit pricey these days, although they are very nice and well worth it (especially if you are a collector like me).  I got super lucky with mine when I found it at a decent price in a used book store, of all places.

Please don't tell me you've been playing Other M... I'd be very disappointed in you if you were. :'(
theJude's Backloggery

Offline Dynam0

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2014, 10:25:15 AM »
  Not sure what DynamO has been up to (can never tell with these Canadians :P).

I'm getting better at MK8 and would be happy to play anytime online now.

Offline Agent C

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2014, 09:12:07 PM »
Which Metroid games have you been playing?  The older ones (Metroid on the NES and Super Metroid on the SNES, both available via the Virtual Console on the Wii), or the new ones (The Metroid Prime series).  Did you spring for the Metroid Trilogy tin?  Those are a bit pricey these days, although they are very nice and well worth it (especially if you are a collector like me).  I got super lucky with mine when I found it at a decent price in a used book store, of all places.

Please don't tell me you've been playing Other M... I'd be very disappointed in you if you were. :'(

I've been playing Super Metroid on the VC. Super neat game that I didn't play back in the day. In fact, I never really played any Metroid games until now. I want to master Super Metroid: 100% item collection, fast boss kills, beat the game in under 3 hours, find hidden rooms, do tricks like wall jumping and spineshanking. It's a vast game with a lot of replay time. :)

I bought the original Metroid for the NES also but haven't played it yet. It looks even more difficult than Super Metroid.

The only Prime game I have is the 1st one for the Gamecube. It gets great reviews! The whole Prime series does. I would like the trilogy version you spoke of but for $50 used, that seems a bit expensive. I also don't like that you have to use the nunchuk and Wii remote for the Wii versions. I have a wireless Gamecube controller that works for the Wii. I still have my Gamecube but my Wii will play Gamecube games.

Another option I have is buy Metroid Prime 3 Corruption (only released on the Wii) for $8 used at GameStop and then buy Prime 2 Echoes (GameCube version) at Ebay or somewhere else. That would be the same as having the trilogy, maybe it will price drop soon. I would like to master the Prime series also even if I'm not good with FPS games. I'm sure there is a lot of exploration in those games too and not just shoot enemies up.

I have Other M but I have never even put the disc in my Wii. I purchased it for like $5 on a Black Friday. I saw the reviews were mixed. Something about it being cinematic? What is your take on it Jude? I can see already by what you said that you're not a fan! ::) :P

Offline theJudeAbides

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 13, 2014, 11:37:51 PM »

I've been playing Super Metroid on the VC. Super neat game that I didn't play back in the day. In fact, I never really played any Metroid games until now. I want to master Super Metroid: 100% item collection, fast boss kills, beat the game in under 3 hours, find hidden rooms, do tricks like wall jumping and spineshanking. It's a vast game with a lot of replay time. :)

I bought the original Metroid for the NES also but haven't played it yet. It looks even more difficult than Super Metroid.

Good deal, I have both on the VC, although I spent more time with Super Metroid.  It's definitely the superior game.  I've never did beat it, although I got a fair ways into it.  I think I got stuck on one of the final bosses, got frustrated, and moved on... probably to Excitebots.  Still, you're absolutely correct: it's a phenomenal game that's well designed in almost every aspect.  The NES game I've spent less time on myself.  It's, well, an NES game, for better or worse.  I mean, it's definitely one of the better games on the NES, but compared to even Super Nintendo games, it's quite limited, especially since you can't save (you have to write down these ridiculously long pass-codes and then re-enter them the next time you play).  Granted, with the power of VC save states (one thing I LOVE about the VC), this becomes fairly negligible, but still, the game isn't nearly as sophisticated as it's SNES sequel.

The only Prime game I have is the 1st one for the Gamecube. It gets great reviews! The whole Prime series does. I would like the trilogy version you spoke of but for $50 used, that seems a bit expensive. I also don't like that you have to use the nunchuk and Wii remote for the Wii versions. I have a wireless Gamecube controller that works for the Wii. I still have my Gamecube but my Wii will play Gamecube games.

Another option I have is buy Metroid Prime 3 Corruption (only released on the Wii) for $8 used at GameStop and then buy Prime 2 Echoes (GameCube version) at Ebay or somewhere else. That would be the same as having the trilogy, maybe it will price drop soon. I would like to master the Prime series also even if I'm not good with FPS games. I'm sure there is a lot of exploration in those games too and not just shoot enemies up.

Yes, the Trilogy version is $50 used, which is what I paid for it, but honestly, I think it's worth it.  The metallic tin it comes in looks great.  The games come loaded all on one disc.  The visuals from the first two games were updated and improved to Wii quality, and the controls were unified across all the games.  You also have the options to adjust the various sensitivities of the Wii-mote to you're liking.  I'll agree it was a shame the left out the option to play with a Gamecube or classic controller, though.  Personally, I don't mind, since I like the Wii-mote controls, but that's a personal preference.

Oh, and the Prime games are not simple FPS's.  In fact, most people don't even classify them as such... the tend to classify them as adventure games.  There is a reason these games have been so well received.  Just like Super Metroid isn't a simple side scrolling shooter like Mega Man (nothing against Mega Man, though, in fact, I like those games too), the Prime games aren't simple shooters like Call of Duty.  You'll spend a lot of time just exploring and figuring out how to get to new areas.  You'll have to, of course, fight the occasional baddies and all kinds of bosses, but the games are more about thinking through the problem than about blasting your way through it.

I have Other M but I have never even put the disc in my Wii. I purchased it for like $5 on a Black Friday. I saw the reviews were mixed. Something about it being cinematic? What is your take on it Jude? I can see already by what you said that you're not a fan! ::) :P

I was being a bit sarcastic about it, as I'm not as violently opposed to it as some out there.  However, it was definitely a miss-step for a series that hadn't really had any up until this game.  As such, long-time Metroid fans tend to come down especially hard on it, even though it isn't nearly as bad as some make it out to be.

The biggest bone of contention most people have with it (and I tend to agree with) is the story and, in particular, the way Samus Aran is presented.  In prior games, Samus was always presented as a strong heroine, which is rare in video games.  There's a million strong male characters out there, but surprisingly few female ones, which only compounded the problem.  You see, in this game, she's presented more as a timid girl desperately seeking the approval of her (former) male superior.  There's a part in the game where you have to go through a really hot area.  However, although Samus has all her suit's abilities and could easily turn on the heat-resistant one, said male superior hasn't "authorized" it yet, so you can't use it.  So instead, Samus has to go blitz through the area to the other side, nearly dieing in the process.  Does that make any sense for her character?  No, it doesn't.  In other games, she has to find these upgrades along the way, so it makes sense when she has to do something like this, since she has no other choice.  But to have the suit but NOT turn it on because said male figure hasn't authorized it (oh, and she's not working FOR them, just WITH them, she's still a bounty hunter) is just plain dumb.

So yeah, there's that, which as I've said, is most people's biggest complaint with the game.  Another annoying thing is that while the came is played mostly from a 2D perspective with the Wii-mote turned sideways, there are parts where you have switch to a 3D view (which requires changing how you hold the Wii-mote so that you point it at the screen) in order to proceed.  It mainly happens with boss fights.  If it sounds clunky to you, that's because it is.  It was an interesting idea, but it just didn't work.

Anyways, enough from the guy who's barely even played these games.  Now you're making me want to go back and play/beat them myself... problem is, I have WAAAYYYY to many games that I could say the same thing about.  To much work, not enough time to play games.  Such is life.
theJude's Backloggery