TGC ShoutBox

Refresh History
  • Forum rules apply here! Only members can Shout.
  • TopStarRacer: Happy birthday BTC! :D
    January 10, 2018, 03:48:28 AM
  • JoomX: Got a birthday coming up, eh BTC?  Make it a good one...  :)
    January 06, 2018, 04:58:58 PM
  • JoomX: Well, it's 2018.  9 years old and EB is still the best racing game on the planet...
    January 01, 2018, 04:20:18 PM
  • JoomX: Back at ya, Top.  Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to all.  And yes, EB 2018 would be the best Christmas gift...
    December 24, 2017, 05:14:14 PM
  • TopStarRacer: Merry Christmas and Happy New Year everyone! Here's hoping a new EB comes out in 2018! We can dream right?
    December 24, 2017, 12:07:19 AM
  • JoomX: Wow, four members here today.  It's a revival...  ;D
    December 13, 2017, 11:20:09 PM
  • theJudeAbides: Just need Snooog and Big Air to come back... and for theJude to go away. :D :P
    December 13, 2017, 05:59:08 AM
  • FLASH: Not at all! That's not even the comic book Barry Allen, but I'm ok with Ezra Miller as the Flash. Superman is more my speed these days  8)
    December 10, 2017, 10:17:37 AM
  • TopStarRacer: Hey FLASH! I saw Justice League the other day. How much do you relate to FLASH? :P
    December 08, 2017, 08:45:44 PM
  • JoomX: Good to see you too, Flash.  Too bad we don't have a good game we could all get into and hang out more often...
    December 08, 2017, 01:51:51 PM
  • FLASH: Long time no see Agent C! Good to see you around! BTC wished me a Happy Thanksgiving a few weeks ago so I figured I'd check in and see what's up. Hope you all are doing well!
    December 08, 2017, 01:33:09 PM
  • JoomX: Yes it would, Top.  Miss chatting with the old crew, including Dynamo.  And hey there, Agent C, good to see you...  :)
    December 04, 2017, 12:45:57 PM
  • TopStarRacer: Now if only BIG AIR and Snooog could pop in...be nice to hear from those old farts.
    December 02, 2017, 01:14:34 AM
  • TopStarRacer: The legend himself, how is the ol' AC?  Miss racing and chatting with you!
    December 02, 2017, 01:13:34 AM
  • Agent C: ;D
    December 01, 2017, 07:33:59 PM
  • Agent C: Oh, and Nintendo Switch sucks, wouldn't buy it for $50!
    December 01, 2017, 07:33:29 PM
  • Agent C: See, been that long, forgot it tells who is saying what! :P
    December 01, 2017, 07:31:55 PM
  • Agent C: Agent C, checking in after a long time. Hope everyone is doing well. I'm still around.
    December 01, 2017, 07:30:57 PM
  • JoomX: 33rd?  Wow...
    December 01, 2017, 11:42:04 AM
  • TopStarRacer: Happy 33rd Birthday Excitebike, the one that started it all!
    November 30, 2017, 11:32:16 AM

Author Topic: Forum changes...  (Read 1045 times)

Offline JoomX

• I Am The
  • Administrator
  • TGC Junkie
  • It's all about the game...
    • View Profile
Forum changes...
« on: November 24, 2014, 11:06:38 AM »
Well, what do we think?  Are we going to get back into things here at TGC?

Reason I ask, is that the annual for the site will be due again first of December.  I think I brought this up last year about the same time, but I just got the invoice again for the next year - $195.00.

If we're going to try to keep the place going, I think I'm going to look at moving the site to a different host.  But with domain transfers and all the other crap, that's about a month long (or more) process.  If we think it's just dying out, then maybe it's time to let it die.

All up to you all, though.  Should we keep it going, but take the hit on the downtime to move it all?
A computer once beat me at chess, but as it turns out it was no match for me at kickboxing... ;)

Offline FLASH

• FC: 0648-3542-8677
  • TGC Junkie
  • Fastest Man Alive
    • View Profile
Re: Forum changes...
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2014, 02:37:31 AM »
I don't think the community has enough life for you to be putting in $200 a year. I would be okay with switching the domain and I don't think the downtime would affect to many of us very much to be honest. I want to keep things alive just in case, and I have no problem with moving the domain.

Offline theJudeAbides

• The Most Interesting Jerk on the Internet
  • I'm theJude, deal with it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2014, 04:07:26 AM »
Joom,

I totally understand your feelings on this, and honestly, I could make good arguments for both sides here.  Yes, this place is slowly dieing, if not dead already.  The total number of new posts per month rarely gets out of the single digits.  And $195 ain't chump change, especially if it's going towards something that's barely even used.

On the other hand, communities change.  They grow and shrink in big and small ways.  We're seeing a big change right now, and the future of it is very uncertain.  You could just kill it off, and I doubt many would blame you (TopStar might be a bit miffed that all the work he put into the records was for naught).  Or, you could alter it to suit new needs and ideas as they arise.  You and I are both excited for the prospect of that new game Toxikk.  Maybe we could start our own clan, with this website as a meeting place and your C3 rooms re-used for chatting while playing.  Maybe we'll gain some new members, and we'll probably lose some old ones... We'll grow and shrink and change.

And maybe, just maybe, someday, Nintendo will announce a new Excitebots game, and all those old members will come back here to see if they can find the old racers around, willing to smash it up, all over again.

I guess my vote would be to move and keep it around for one more year and see where we are then.  If this time next year, things are even more dead then they already are, I'll say throw in the towel.  Maybe it's just the hopeless optimist in me, but I really think things could change for the better around here, if we let it.
I don't always play videogames, but when I do, I prefer Excitebots.  Keep spinning, my friends.  8)
theJude's Backloggery

Offline JoomX

• I Am The
  • Administrator
  • TGC Junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2014, 09:59:45 AM »
Kind of what I was thinking, guys.  Lots of work here for all the stats and info, be a shame to lose it.

The domain name would stay the same, just have to get it transferred to a different (cheaper) host.  I can transfer all the forum info (threads, posts, etc.), but I'm not sure about all the attachments.  Total transfer size limitations thing.

But yeah, I'm thinking better to have the site down for a month or so during transfer rather than let it go away.  Gonna have to do something soon...
A computer once beat me at chess, but as it turns out it was no match for me at kickboxing... ;)

Offline Agent C

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2014, 04:38:38 PM »
I agree with what was already stated. It has become very slow around here but a real shame to just throw it all away. I like Jude's idea of give it one more year. I wouldn't have any problem with the domain host changing. I just don't want to lose touch with all of you. We have got to get into another game and soon because I miss the "old" TGC. :(

I'll stay tuned to see what happens......

Offline JoomX

• I Am The
  • Administrator
  • TGC Junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2014, 06:27:45 PM »
Yup, we need to do something.  Until another racer comes along, I guess I'll be in Toxxik when it's released...

Offline TopStarRacer

• Excite Win Junkie
  • TGC Junkie
  • Race on!
    • View Profile
    • TopStarRacer's YouTube Channel
« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2014, 09:21:19 PM »
I'm okay with the downtime/transfer. When will the site go down?

Offline JoomX

• I Am The
  • Administrator
  • TGC Junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2014, 06:02:05 AM »
Probably in about 5-7 days.  Might not be down a full month, but with the time it usually takes to get a domain moved anyway, then toss in the holidays and trying to work with everybody concerned, can't say.  Then getting the new place set up, forums reinstalled and restored, etc., will take some time.

Another thing I just thought of - the arcade that took months to get set up won't be back...  :'(

Offline RATROD

• CRASHER/RACER
  • You have located the RAT
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2014, 12:38:03 AM »
Quote from: JoomX

Another thing I just thought of - the arcade that took months to get set up won't be back...  :'(
[/quote
   :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :o >:( >:( >:( >:( ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? :'( :'(
RATROD THE OTHER HOTROD :P  :o  :P

Offline JoomX

• I Am The
  • Administrator
  • TGC Junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 27, 2014, 11:02:16 AM »
I know, that thing was a ton of work way back when.

But that's why I haven't updated the forum software in 3 years - the arcade doesn't work with the newer versions.  A couple people have reprogrammed the arcade to make it work with their sites, but it's a pain.

Took months to get the arcade where it's at, too bad.  Onward and upward, I guess...

Offline JoomX

• I Am The
  • Administrator
  • TGC Junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 03, 2014, 01:16:31 PM »
Okay, deadline is the 6th to have this changed over, so I'll be on it shortly.

Should be able to keep all the forum (thread/post) info, but grab anything you absolutely wouldn't want to lose just in case.

She'll be going down anytime in the next couple days, but should be back by the end of the month in one form or another.  Domain name will be the same.

Have a great holiday, everybody, and see you soon...