TGC ShoutBox

Refresh History
  • Forum rules apply here! Only members can Shout.
  • TopStarRacer: Happy birthday BTC! :D
    January 10, 2018, 03:48:28 AM
  • JoomX: Got a birthday coming up, eh BTC?  Make it a good one...  :)
    January 06, 2018, 04:58:58 PM
  • JoomX: Well, it's 2018.  9 years old and EB is still the best racing game on the planet...
    January 01, 2018, 04:20:18 PM
  • JoomX: Back at ya, Top.  Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to all.  And yes, EB 2018 would be the best Christmas gift...
    December 24, 2017, 05:14:14 PM
  • TopStarRacer: Merry Christmas and Happy New Year everyone! Here's hoping a new EB comes out in 2018! We can dream right?
    December 24, 2017, 12:07:19 AM
  • JoomX: Wow, four members here today.  It's a revival...  ;D
    December 13, 2017, 11:20:09 PM
  • theJudeAbides: Just need Snooog and Big Air to come back... and for theJude to go away. :D :P
    December 13, 2017, 05:59:08 AM
  • FLASH: Not at all! That's not even the comic book Barry Allen, but I'm ok with Ezra Miller as the Flash. Superman is more my speed these days  8)
    December 10, 2017, 10:17:37 AM
  • TopStarRacer: Hey FLASH! I saw Justice League the other day. How much do you relate to FLASH? :P
    December 08, 2017, 08:45:44 PM
  • JoomX: Good to see you too, Flash.  Too bad we don't have a good game we could all get into and hang out more often...
    December 08, 2017, 01:51:51 PM
  • FLASH: Long time no see Agent C! Good to see you around! BTC wished me a Happy Thanksgiving a few weeks ago so I figured I'd check in and see what's up. Hope you all are doing well!
    December 08, 2017, 01:33:09 PM
  • JoomX: Yes it would, Top.  Miss chatting with the old crew, including Dynamo.  And hey there, Agent C, good to see you...  :)
    December 04, 2017, 12:45:57 PM
  • TopStarRacer: Now if only BIG AIR and Snooog could pop in...be nice to hear from those old farts.
    December 02, 2017, 01:14:34 AM
  • TopStarRacer: The legend himself, how is the ol' AC?  Miss racing and chatting with you!
    December 02, 2017, 01:13:34 AM
  • Agent C: ;D
    December 01, 2017, 07:33:59 PM
  • Agent C: Oh, and Nintendo Switch sucks, wouldn't buy it for $50!
    December 01, 2017, 07:33:29 PM
  • Agent C: See, been that long, forgot it tells who is saying what! :P
    December 01, 2017, 07:31:55 PM
  • Agent C: Agent C, checking in after a long time. Hope everyone is doing well. I'm still around.
    December 01, 2017, 07:30:57 PM
  • JoomX: 33rd?  Wow...
    December 01, 2017, 11:42:04 AM
  • TopStarRacer: Happy 33rd Birthday Excitebike, the one that started it all!
    November 30, 2017, 11:32:16 AM

Recent Posts

Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10]
ExciteBots: Trick Racing / Re: Well, seems to be time for a new discussion/wish topic...
« Last post by JoomX on October 29, 2016, 02:03:44 PM »
I like the points you make about the bots' scoring abilities, TJ, and agree.  But other than that, I pretty well like the game as is, and would just like to see it online again in some form (new system, whatever)...
Just stumbled upon this old thread (isn't that on after This Old House? :P) of mine, which got me thinking.  I still stand by most of what I said there, and Big & Dragon had a couple cool ideas as well.

In addition, here's a few things I've been thinking about recently:
- More balanced bots.  There was only ever maybe 3-4 bots that were viable in the competitive scene: Most people ran the roach, I think I made a pretty convincing case for the Hummingbird at the end, and I think the Bat and Lizard could have been good in the right hands.  There may be a couple more I'm forgetting, but that's about it.  The Squid, Mantis, and Turtle were worthless in serious competitions, and there were a lot of "middling" bots that, while ok, weren't ever going to be competitive either.

If you look at modern competitive gaming (wither it be MOBAs, RTSs, MMORPGSs, or anything else with a variety of non-similar playable classes/races), these games are made or broke on their balance.  NOBODY wants to play an under-performing class, and EVERYONE wants to play the over-performing ones.  Like I said: look at the Roach in Excitebots.

Now, does this mean I think all the bots should be like the Roach?  NO!  Different bots should excel at different things.  The roach was great for jumping, spinning, and comboing.  However, it's drifting and tree-running skills should have been nerfed, and it's red-bar should have been slower like the Lizard's.  Meanwhile, bots like Turtle and Mantis should have had their tree runs and drifts boosted.  For example, if you could manage to get the turtle through that big tree-run on Platinum Tasmania, you should be getting 2-3 times as many stars as someone taking a Roach through the same tree run.  Not fair?  Yes it is.  While the Roach is busy racking up a huge score jump-comboing and spinning, the Turtle isn't getting anywhere near the same amount, so there needs to be a trade-off.  By giving each bot real bonuses as well as drawbacks, you balance the game.  And you keep releasing patches and updates until things are balanced.

- More balanced Courses.
Piggy-backing on what was just said, you need to balance the courses as well to provide opportunities for all types of scoring so that the different bots all have opportunities to rack up stars in their given areas of expertise.  While many of the later courses in Excitebots were somewhat balanced, some of those earlier ones weren't.  School Mexico comes to mind, because there were very few tree runs but a ton of jump combos.

Anyways, these two ideas are at the core of what I'd like to see from a new Excitebots game: A more balanced multiplayer where each bot could be competitive, but in different/unique ways.  Where bots like the turtle and squid could go toe-to-toe with the Roach and be able to win.  There should never be a "best choice" bot... the "best choice" should be based on your play-style and skill.

So what would you want from a new Excitebots game?
Wii U / Re: Nintendo Switch (NX)
« Last post by JoomX on October 24, 2016, 07:39:32 AM »
The controls are part of what made the game for me.  EB itself is great, but the controls made it more natural.

I don't care at all about portability, but as long as I could stick it in a base and leave it, I'd be okay with that.

They make the NX ads look cool for kids, but they forget that part of what made the Wii a hit was its appeal to older players, too.  And part of that was the motion controllers - and good selection of games for them...
In Search of Humor / Re: When you're tired of Weird Al...
« Last post by JoomX on October 24, 2016, 07:33:32 AM »
 :P :P :P

Best use of Autotune I've seen in a long time.  Thanks, TJ, hadn't seen that.  Great with morning coffee...  ;D
« Last post by FLASH on October 23, 2016, 11:22:08 PM »
I'm with Jude on not being a big fan of it's portability since I would never use it. The controls do seem a little disappointing to me because I think they make the likely hood of another Excite game pretty iffy at best. I think an Excite game without motion controls would be interesting though.
In Search of Humor / When you're tired of Weird Al...
« Last post by theJudeAbides on October 23, 2016, 09:47:04 PM »
... you're tired of life.

« Last post by JoomX on October 20, 2016, 05:48:56 PM »
I just saw this post when coming to post this link:

https://www.yahoo.com/tech/expect-nintendo-nx-reveal-103030051.html

I'm with Top, not sure I like the controls that I saw in the vid.  And no mention in the link above about racing games other than Mario.

Gotta wait and see, I guess...
« Last post by theJudeAbides on October 20, 2016, 01:04:28 PM »
DUTS, I was about to post this myself!!!  :o :'( :o

I've never really gotten that much into the portable thing, since I usually have to drive myself wherever I'm going, so the whole "take it with you" concept just kind of falls flat for me.  I'm sure it'll be popular with some, though.

I'm still interested in seeing what games they're going to be coming out with for it.  All I could see in the trailer was Zelda (which we've known was coming for the last 4 years), Mario Kart and Splatoon (which are already available on the Wii U), and some random sports games (meh).  I'm still waiting for the Excite-Whatever announcement... that's what will get me hyped.
Wii U / Nintendo Switch (NX)
« Last post by TopStarRacer on October 20, 2016, 12:42:33 PM »
The Nintendo NX was officially revealed to be called the Nintendo Switch this morning and Nintendo showed a 3 minute trailer revealing what it does. What are your guys' initial thoughts on Nintendo's newest console?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f5uik5fgIaI

I think the concept is really awesome. As someone who has primary played his 3DS over the Wii U, a mobile option is definitely welcome. I hope the battery life is strong on it though (but if I were to take a guess, the stationary part probably charges the mobile controller).

One thing that bothers me though is the lack of motion controls. Will the Wii controllers be compatiable with the Switch in any way? How else could we play Wii Virtual Console/ WiiWare games without it? I can't download ExciteBots from the eShop and not have the controller to play it!  :'( That's my only gripe regarding the console right now. It looks great and look forward to learning more about it.
ExciteBots: Trick Racing / Re: Well, seems to be time for a new discussion/wish topic...
« Last post by JoomX on October 09, 2016, 11:09:28 PM »
Hadn't heard that, Flash, thanks.  I'd settle for Excite Truck, but of course would rather have another EB.

Be interesting to see where things go...
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10]