TGC ShoutBox

Refresh History
  • Forum rules apply here! Only members can Shout.
  • TopStarRacer: Happy birthday BTC! :D
    January 10, 2018, 03:48:28 AM
  • JoomX: Got a birthday coming up, eh BTC?  Make it a good one...  :)
    January 06, 2018, 04:58:58 PM
  • JoomX: Well, it's 2018.  9 years old and EB is still the best racing game on the planet...
    January 01, 2018, 04:20:18 PM
  • JoomX: Back at ya, Top.  Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to all.  And yes, EB 2018 would be the best Christmas gift...
    December 24, 2017, 05:14:14 PM
  • TopStarRacer: Merry Christmas and Happy New Year everyone! Here's hoping a new EB comes out in 2018! We can dream right?
    December 24, 2017, 12:07:19 AM
  • JoomX: Wow, four members here today.  It's a revival...  ;D
    December 13, 2017, 11:20:09 PM
  • theJudeAbides: Just need Snooog and Big Air to come back... and for theJude to go away. :D :P
    December 13, 2017, 05:59:08 AM
  • FLASH: Not at all! That's not even the comic book Barry Allen, but I'm ok with Ezra Miller as the Flash. Superman is more my speed these days  8)
    December 10, 2017, 10:17:37 AM
  • TopStarRacer: Hey FLASH! I saw Justice League the other day. How much do you relate to FLASH? :P
    December 08, 2017, 08:45:44 PM
  • JoomX: Good to see you too, Flash.  Too bad we don't have a good game we could all get into and hang out more often...
    December 08, 2017, 01:51:51 PM
  • FLASH: Long time no see Agent C! Good to see you around! BTC wished me a Happy Thanksgiving a few weeks ago so I figured I'd check in and see what's up. Hope you all are doing well!
    December 08, 2017, 01:33:09 PM
  • JoomX: Yes it would, Top.  Miss chatting with the old crew, including Dynamo.  And hey there, Agent C, good to see you...  :)
    December 04, 2017, 12:45:57 PM
  • TopStarRacer: Now if only BIG AIR and Snooog could pop in...be nice to hear from those old farts.
    December 02, 2017, 01:14:34 AM
  • TopStarRacer: The legend himself, how is the ol' AC?  Miss racing and chatting with you!
    December 02, 2017, 01:13:34 AM
  • Agent C: ;D
    December 01, 2017, 07:33:59 PM
  • Agent C: Oh, and Nintendo Switch sucks, wouldn't buy it for $50!
    December 01, 2017, 07:33:29 PM
  • Agent C: See, been that long, forgot it tells who is saying what! :P
    December 01, 2017, 07:31:55 PM
  • Agent C: Agent C, checking in after a long time. Hope everyone is doing well. I'm still around.
    December 01, 2017, 07:30:57 PM
  • JoomX: 33rd?  Wow...
    December 01, 2017, 11:42:04 AM
  • TopStarRacer: Happy 33rd Birthday Excitebike, the one that started it all!
    November 30, 2017, 11:32:16 AM

Author Topic: Advantages and Disadvantages of Social Networking  (Read 1226 times)

Offline TopStarRacer

• Excite Win Junkie
  • TGC Junkie
  • Race on!
    • View Profile
    • TopStarRacer's YouTube Channel
Advantages and Disadvantages of Social Networking
« on: January 03, 2012, 11:54:35 PM »
So...these first 3 days have been extraordinary...every day this year something amazing has happened. Just yesterday I was on Facebook commenting on a friend's status and then someone else had commented on that same status. It wasn't just anybody but an old friend from 3rd/4th grade. I haven't talked with him in a good 8 years. I had been messaging him back and forth the past two days, and man, things have changed...we aren't the same kids we were back in elementary. :P It' pretty cool how the year I graduate HS, 2012, is the very year I'm running into people of my almost forgotten past.

So for discussion, anyone had this kind of experience with let's say old high school friends? What do guys feel towards social networking in the first place? love it or hate it? Honestly, I never thought I'd talk with him again or the others I had found. Plus one for Facebook. XD

Offline FLASH

• FC: 0648-3542-8677
  • TGC Junkie
  • Fastest Man Alive
    • View Profile
Re: Advantages and Disadvantages of Social Networking
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2012, 12:50:51 AM »
I have yet to have something like that happen. I talk more on this than Facebook. I have 400+ friends on Facebook(yes i know them all), but I need to delete people. I cant get on it without seeing dumb arguements. I also hate social status at school, which affects Facebook.

This may not be true in your case but it is to me.

Facebook is a place where sluts complain about sluts being sluts. I know girls my age that have slept with seniors and then will call somebody out on Facebook.

Im really considering deleting mine, but there are still people I like on here so I wont.

Offline FLASH

• TGC Junkie
  • Fastest Man Alive
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2012, 09:55:11 PM »
Sorry for the rant.

Offline JoomX

• I Am The
  • Administrator
  • TGC Junkie
  • It's all about the game...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2012, 05:36:29 AM »
I guess I'm not a very social person.  I don't do FaceBook, Twitter, or any of the rest of those.  I like a few forums with topics that interest me, but that's about it.  Never give any thought to talking to or running into anyone I used to know, either.

I'm one of those people that probably wouldn't be overly upset if I woke up one morning stranded on a deserted island, long as there was plenty of coffee and snacks... 8)
A computer once beat me at chess, but as it turns out it was no match for me at kickboxing... ;)

Offline theJudeAbides

• The Most Interesting Jerk on the Internet
  • I'm theJude, deal with it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2012, 01:37:20 PM »
I only recently got on Facebook myself after saying no for years.  I suppose I'm attempting to be more "social", but as an anti-social jerk, it's slow-going.

I'm mainly friends with family members (which is helping me stay better in touch with my sister who currently lives in California) and a few others.

I've found some things about it pretty amusing and dumb.  First off, I listed the U of M as my college (which, as one might imagine, is a large school with thousands attending).  Some of the first people who attempted to friend me were, shall we say, "women of lower moral standards" whom I've never met, and given their age, weren't even at the college at the same time as me, yet for some odd reason (attention, apparently), wanted to be my friend.

Those were pretty easy "Refuse friend requests", but now things are getting worse.  I'm seeing old High School classmates, many of whom I barely knew, let alone liked, wanting to be my friend.  I'm finding it harder to say No, since I do vaguely remember them (my High School was in small town, so I "knew" most of the people in my class to one extent or another).  However, I'm really questioning why I'd want to (or why they'd want to) get back in touch.  I'm a different person now, and so are they, in all likelyhood.

Now, I did track down a couple of my old buddies to be friends with, but I don't see any reason to be friends with all one hundred and some odd number of people who just happened to occupy the same general vicinity as me for a portion of my youth.  Maybe that's just the anti-social in me talking, but it seems pointless.

In the end, I'm reminded of the South Park episode that deals with Facebook and how on the money they were with that.  I think for many, it's a popularity contest to see who can have the most "friends".  Don't get me wrong, I think it's a great tool for staying in touch with friends and family and even getting into contact with long lost friends.  But when it starts turning into dumb high school drama all over again, count me out.

And for those of you like TopStar and FLASH, I realize that when you're still in High School/Middle School, all that drama seems important.  Trust me, some day you'll graduate, move on, and look back and think how stupid it all was and wonder why you ever cared so much.  Leaving the forced social interaction with people you can't stand will be one of the highlights of your life, I promise.
I don't always play videogames, but when I do, I prefer Excitebots.  Keep spinning, my friends.  8)
theJude's Backloggery

Offline iKandy

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2012, 04:42:59 PM »
I only recently got on Facebook myself after saying no for years.  I suppose I'm attempting to be more "social", but as an anti-social jerk, it's slow-going.

I'm right there with you TJ.  I got on facebook to be able to socialize with a couple of family members that live far away.  I value my privacy too much to do very much on facebook.  I could rant about no one has any privacy or rights anymore, but I won't.  Figure anybody that cares already knows this.

Offline RATROD

• CRASHER/RACER
  • You have located the RAT
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2012, 05:06:21 PM »
Me to I only used facebook for the free preliminary UFC fights,and now I use it a little bit more for staying in touch with family and especially the mother of my soon to be grandchild :o since they live in Texas this is easier than a dang phone for me :P
RATROD THE OTHER HOTROD :P  :o  :P

Offline FLASH

• TGC Junkie
  • Fastest Man Alive
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2012, 06:03:33 PM »
And for those of you like TopStar and FLASH, I realize that when you're still in High School/Middle School, all that drama seems important.  Trust me, some day you'll graduate, move on, and look back and think how stupid it all was and wonder why you ever cared so much.  Leaving the forced social interaction with people you can't stand will be one of the highlights of your life, I promise.
I'm realizing that already. When I get the time, I'm going to go through my friends list and delete people I don't talk to or could care less about.(I hope that doesn't sound too bad :) )

Offline Rock Joe

• Rookie
  • "I like turtles."
    • View Profile
    • Gaming and Liberty Podcast
« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2012, 06:06:31 PM »
Facebook is a convenient tool, but you have to be careful what you use it for. I used to have a rule to only friend people I've met in person, but I'm pretty engaged in the libertarian/voluntaryist circles so I've expanded that now. :)

I find it is worth mentioning to those of you who didn't know that facebook was financed in part by the CIA. (http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&complete=0&site=webhp&q=facebook+inqtel&btnG=Search) Had I known this at the moment I signed up, the only piece of info I would not have included was my year of birth. I always assumed that everything I say on facebook is broadcast to the entire world anyway, but it's worth pointing out.