Author Topic: Wii U  (Read 2824 times)

Offline Agent C

• View Profile
Wii U
« on: September 16, 2012, 04:06:13 PM »
Joom, you might want to move this to a new board since there is not one for the Wii U. I was doing some research last night and found out that on September 13, Nintendo announced that the Wii U will hit stores on November 18, 2012 in North America. It will have more than 20 times the memory of the Wii. It will be released in two versions: a basic white version with 8gb of internal storage and a premium black version with 32gb of internal storage. An HDMI cable will be included with both versions.

Prices for the two versions are $299.99 and $349.99. The premium black version includes a Nintendo Network Premium Subscription, the Nintendo Land game, as well as stands for the console and controller.

A few games to mention that I personally think will be good are as follows:

1. 007 Legends
2. Call of Duty: Black Ops II
3. Tekken Tag Tournament 2
4. Sonic & All Stars Racing: Transformed
5. Ninja Gaiden 3: Razor's Edge
6. An Untitled Battlefield (BTC has said this game is good.)
7. Madden NFL 13
8. New Super Mario Bros. U
9. ZombiU
10. An Untitled The Legend of Zelda
11. An Untitled Super Smash Bros. sequel
12. Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate (Once again, I know nothing about this game but BTC says it's good.)
13. NBA 2K13

I have to mention that there is one game missing from this list. Excitebots Trick Racing 2. Why Nintendo?, why Monster Games?, WHY!!??!!??  :'( :( >:( ??? :-X :-\

Offline TopStarRacer

• Excite Win Junkie
  • TGC Junkie
  • Race on!
    • View Profile
    • TopStarRacer's YouTube Channel
Re: Wii U
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2012, 04:42:38 PM »
I have to mention that there is one game missing from this list. Excitebots Trick Racing 2. Why Nintendo?, why Monster Games?, WHY!!??!!??  :'( :( >:( ??? :-X :-\

Excitebike - 1984
Excitebike 64 - 2000
Excite Truck - 2006
ExciteBots: Trick Racing - 2009
Excitebike: World Rally - 2009

2009 was the 25th anniversary of this series. I have a good feeling we won't be seeing a sequel for a while.

Offline SkoolYa

• Silence!
  • The bell has rung..take a seat!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2012, 04:53:28 PM »
Da da De DAAAA  Da de da de DAAAAAAAAAAAA [grim music playing] as ExciteBots will not be resurrected on the Wii U. A sad, sad day for the Agent household :( 

However, I wonder what the new game obession will become with the new system?  8) ::)
Or the better question to ask, can I survive another game obsession?  :-X :-\
« Last Edit: September 16, 2012, 05:00:13 PM by SkoolYa »
Take a seat!

Offline Battletanx_Commander

• Master Chef
  • Clawing my way to victory ever boost of the way...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2012, 09:47:35 PM »
6. An Untitled Battlefield (BTC has said this game is good.)
10. An Untitled The Legend of Zelda
11. An Untitled Super Smash Bros. sequel
12. Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate (Once again, I know nothing about this game but BTC says it's good.)
6. is most likely going to be Battlefield 4 since the beta for the game will be out within the next six months. Me purchasing the game for this system is unlikely since I will be building a custom tower around the Nvida GeForce GTX 580 to play BF3.
10. This will be one of my buys for when I get the system. (Still debating whether to get it on release night or wait)
11. Not likely to be out for another two or three years but will be on my to buy list.
12. This game....could possibly take away all my free time...lol...

Overall unless there is an advantage of getting the Wii U on release date (maybe to just have it in advance since it could be like when the Wii was release and there were shortages for a long time) I will wait until Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate comes out in all its glory.  8) I am still hoping for another Excite game for the Wii U though deep down in the sea where I roam.
I am Truck Norris

Offline TopStarRacer

• Excite Win Junkie
  • TGC Junkie
  • Race on!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2012, 10:25:34 PM »

12. This game....could possibly take away all my free time...lol...

Could this mean...what I think it means... :o

As far as getting a Wii U...could be a long while. I have other things I want to save up for. But if another Excite game came out... :-\

Out of curiousity, could you play MH3U without any MH experience from before or is it just an add-on to MH3?

• Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2012, 10:46:53 PM »
Could this mean...what I think it means... :o

As far as getting a Wii U...could be a long while. I have other things I want to save up for. But if another Excite game came out... :-\

Out of curiousity, could you play MH3U without any MH experience from before or is it just an add-on to MH3?
I would certainly hope not TopStar. x.X

Basically I think it is Monster Hunter Tri expanded and upgraded by a whole lot more content and probably better graphics, mechanics, etc. To answer you question, you can play it without any MH experience from before.
I am Truck Norris

Offline FLASH

• FC: 0648-3542-8677
  • TGC Junkie
  • Fastest Man Alive
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2012, 11:11:58 PM »
I don't think I would get a Wii U, even if Excitebots two came out. Even if I did I couldn't play competitively because of school, jobs, sports, and getting ready for college.

I see console gaming declining rapidly over the next 5 years because, well, PC dominates all.

Offline DarkDog

• Love the whole Dark thing!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2012, 11:44:36 PM »
Go 2k13 I love b-ball!!

Offline TopStarRacer

• Excite Win Junkie
  • TGC Junkie
  • Race on!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2012, 11:50:25 PM »
I would certainly hope not TopStar. x.X

Basically I think it is Monster Hunter Tri expanded and upgraded by a whole lot more content and probably better graphics, mechanics, etc. To answer you question, you can play it without any MH experience from before.

I would certainly hope not either. :'( Good to know...it might be a game I'll get if/when I get a Wii U.

I don't think I would get a Wii U, even if Excitebots two came out. Even if I did I couldn't play competitively because of school, jobs, sports, and getting ready for college.

I'm in a similar boat. If they were to be at all similar, I would just slowly work my way to a ZLP and then call it quits like JamesSk did.....I hope. :P

Offline TopStarRacer

• Excite Win Junkie
  • TGC Junkie
  • Race on!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2012, 11:36:58 PM »
So BTC, did you get the new console? If so, what do U think of it? (ba dum tis!) 8) :P

Offline Agent C

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 19, 2012, 08:24:12 PM »
I didn't buy the Wii U, but I did check it out at Bestbuy yesterday when I was out Xmas shopping. It was sold out there and at Target and Wal-mart. :o I played with the demo they had set up, it was pretty cool. The console itself is bigger than a regular Wii. The Gamepad touchscreen controller was also much larger than I expected. I'm glad that you don't have to triple spin with that thing! :P ;D

I don't have plans to buy one right now. It's not just the price of the console but $60 for most of the games is kinda high. ::) I realize with a brand new console though, it's going to be pricey. I'll sit back and let some more games come out and just observe things for a while.

Offline FLASH

• TGC Junkie
  • Fastest Man Alive
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 19, 2012, 10:26:19 PM »
I will get it when the new Ebots comes out...

Offline Dynam0

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 20, 2012, 10:08:20 AM »
Me too, another reason not to buy yet is that big firmware update (1GB), if you lose patience and cancel it, you might "brick" your WiiU.

• Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 21, 2012, 01:13:40 PM »
So BTC, did you get the new console? If so, what do U think of it? (ba dum tis!) 8) :P

I did TopStar. I was number 8 in line for the 8 WiiUs that were at my store. Midnight release was worth it in my opinion since I knew they would be sold out soon everywhere. This is almost the same scenario as with the Wii's release.

As to my thoughts on it, it is a very intriguing and interesting console. I look forward to see what game developers do with the new GamPad and the upgraded hardware capabilities. Of course I there were not release titles that interested me much so I just have the console right now.
I am Truck Norris

Offline TopStarRacer

• Excite Win Junkie
  • TGC Junkie
  • Race on!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 21, 2012, 01:28:51 PM »
Me too, another reason not to buy yet is that big firmware update (1GB), if you lose patience and cancel it, you might "brick" your WiiU.

Yikes, definitely not something you want kids messing around with. :o

I did TopStar. I was number 8 in line for the 8 WiiUs that were at my store. Midnight release was worth it in my opinion since I knew they would be sold out soon everywhere. This is almost the same scenario as with the Wii's release.

As to my thoughts on it, it is a very intriguing and interesting console. I look forward to see what game developers do with the new GamPad and the upgraded hardware capabilities. Of course I there were not release titles that interested me much so I just have the console right now.

There must be a good amount of features without any games then. ::) I remember two consoles ago where not having any games made the Gamecube pointless. :P

I'll get it eventually, but not as a launch like I got my Wii. I'm with AC and FLASH.

Offline Dynam0

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 21, 2012, 01:34:33 PM »

BTC, will you put EB into your WiiU?

Offline CodyRs

• TGC Junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 21, 2012, 07:00:53 PM »
So a Wii U is if you have to go to the bathroom and sit on the toilet, that you can just put the game onto a little screen and sit and play right? I saw something like that in a ad...
My CodyRs profile is retired! 9,215 Excite Wins and 225 poker wins!

• Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 22, 2012, 12:37:12 AM »
BTC, will you put EB into your WiiU?

Nah, It will stick on my Wii. Too many memories plus my other data would get transferred too. If that were to happen I could not play one of my games properly because the controller I use to play it does not work with the Wii U.
I am Truck Norris

Offline Feeble

• Rookie
  • Veni vidi vomui
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 25, 2012, 11:26:32 AM »
I'm pretty excited about the new console. The possibilities for multiplayer seem awesome. In games like call of duty, it is possible for two players to go online with others using the same machine in the same room (TV for one and Pad for the other, while fragging people from the net). How cool is that?

Offline Cubestr

• Sir Chandestroy
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 13, 2013, 01:41:39 PM »
I wont be able to get the Wii U, if a EBTR sequel came out, hmmm, i will see if i can convince my parents.
But... as we all know...[spoiler]Nintendo  is running out of Ideas[/spoiler]
why do I say this...
[spoiler] Wii mini (really guys)
No new game series
Extending old games (pokemon X and Y, c'mon make something more original)
COME UP WITH SOMETHING NEW MR.MASAHIRO SAKURAI!
[/spoiler]
I am a very indecisive person
... At least I think I am ... ::)

Offline propane

• I like vidya games I tell you hwhat
    • View Profile
    • My Backloggery
« Reply #20 on: January 16, 2013, 06:36:19 PM »
I play EB on my Wii U. I wanted to keep playing it on the Wii, but after I did a system transfer, I wasn't able to copy the save onto an SD card (I assume they do this because of the online records). Anyway, it's not a big deal. It feels just the same as it does when I play on the Wii.

• Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 23, 2013, 11:54:47 PM »
I wont be able to get the Wii U, if a EBTR sequel came out, hmmm, i will see if i can convince my parents.
But... as we all know...[spoiler]Nintendo  is running out of Ideas[/spoiler]
why do I say this...
[spoiler] Wii mini (really guys)
No new game series
Extending old games (pokemon X and Y, c'mon make something more original)
COME UP WITH SOMETHING NEW MR.MASAHIRO SAKURAI!
[/spoiler]

*puts on Nintendo Fanboy hat*
Nintendo is not one to run out of ideas and that can be seen in the latest Nintendo Direct.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4MzG6lDA1A0 <- Dob't know why it won't embed. :\
The low down on that Nintendo Direct was a list of games set for this year and a couple for the future such as the next Super Smash Bros., M-ario Kart for Wii U, Legend of Zelda Wii U that will have co-op and multiplayer to name a few. They are even making a new Yoshi platform game, Yarn Yoshi which looks absoulutly stunning and quite cute not to mention the Legend of Zelda: Windwaker HD remake. I was basically throwing money at the computer screen for some of these games. This is going to be a big year for Nintendo and I look forward to the coming years for the Wii U especially with all the 3rd party developers looking into the Wii U and who knows, Nintendo could be gearing up for another franchise release. That is always a possibility. Overall it is a system that gives game developers many tools to work with like no other system to date.

As for the Wii Mini, that is a Canadia release only and it is just the basics of the system. It has no WiFi capabilities and is geared toward people who would like the Wii for a cheap price just to play single player/offline multiplayer games.

Nintendo has stated that Pokémon X/Y will be a big change to how the games have been played out until this point. It is taking a big change in direction from what Pokémon games have been. I do not know all the details since I do not follow Pokémon much anymore but I do know that change is coming to the series.
*takes off Nintendo Fanboy hat*

Side note, don't mess with Nintendo.  :-\

I am Truck Norris

Offline theJudeAbides

• The Most Interesting Jerk on the Internet
  • I'm theJude, deal with it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 24, 2013, 04:40:14 AM »
BTC, that gif pretty much summarizes the feelings I had when Cubestr made his post, but I stifled my fanboyism since I didn't want to pounce the poor little lad too hard, but enough time has passed now that it's time I enlightened the young whippersnapper.

Nintendo is running out of ideas?  Really?  I've seen/read this a thousand times in comments and forums on a number of sites by trolls/fanboys who are ignorant of gaming history.  I usally just ignore them since 999 times out of 1000, they're just trolls looking for attention.

I could go into a huge spiel about how Nintendo has innovated with just about every single console generation, but I'll save some time and skip to the Wii.  Look at the controller.  Prior to the Wii, nobody had done this.  And as many will point out, the technology has existed for a long time.  Only Nintendo, though, had the foresight to use it in a way that made sense, and look how their competitor copied them after their success.  Look at games like Super Mario Galaxy, The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword, or Metroid Prime Trilogy.  You may think that these are just another iteration in the long lines of Mario, Zelda, and Metroid games, but you'd be wrong.  With almost each new iteration, they are always pushing the boundaries, adding new things and making the experience unique.  Each of these games has been heralded as a success as such.

Now, looking at the Wii U, most people don't understand the potential of that new gamepad and the possibilities of asymmetric gaming.  There are so many potentially cool things that can be done with that thing that it's exciting to think about.

Anyways, I do find it funny that the people begging for "Excitebots 2: More of the Same Thing" are the ones complaining about Nintendo not innovating.  I don't think that word means what you think it means.  Oh, and if you're looking for a new(ish) game series from Nintendo, go take a look at Pikmin.  That game was great.
I don't always play videogames, but when I do, I prefer Excitebots.  Keep spinning, my friends.  8)
theJude's Backloggery

Offline Feeble

• Rookie
  • Veni vidi vomui
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 27, 2013, 04:08:22 PM »
I agree with most words said by now. But I'd like to add two facts to the discussion, ones that sometimes get me really mad: 1.) how much are "gamers" in general willing to embrace new experiences? For that, I won't include members of this site, first because ExciteBots is a very different thing from what one usually sees in gaming and second, your my folks ;). But guess what? Besides us, nobody bought the game, specially seeing there was the safer and sounder MK Wii to purchase instead. But enough talk about EB. How many original Wii games from creative 3rd parties did people get? EB is, for me, the best implementation of motion controls up untill now. But, for instance, how many copies of Zack and Wiki were sold? Come on, that game is ingenious to say the least, and was a major flop in sales. Also, the so called "hardcore gamers" left an amazing game like No More Heroes sell something hardly above 500 thousand copies, while the Halo sequels sell gazillions every single release. Those two are just some simple examples of great motion control put to fantastic use in favor of playabillity. But the tested and true formulas are what people seem to be after. I have somethings to say about my own self on this regard, but I'll leave them to future comments, if they come, since I now want to adress the second fact: 2.) Where is the support from Nintendo Console owners to these new experiences? My goodness, succesful as it was, Monster Hunter Tri barely got to the 2 mil unities sold, which is not bad for a game so complex, but is a shame if you consider the size of Wii's install base. So, I don't really know what happens, because the games did come to the Wii as long as I'm concerned (Madworld, Mercury Meltdown, Sin and Punishment, Dead Space and Xenoblade are a few names that come to mind) but no one bought them. So, at this point what I see is: the so called hardcore gamer wants the tried and true formulas of always (FPSs most of all) and thinks that double screen and motion controls are gimmicks, which is very sad. Also, the Nintendo called "fanboy", not the ones seen on this board but the ones driven by some mentallity that I don't get, wants the Mario formulas to which he is used to. The ones who bought the Wii for the "casual" factor have already moved to the smart phones and tablets. So, I'd like to get the Wii U, but I don't know what to expect from 3rd parties because of these two facts I have just mentioned above. These Studios have reasons to not want to risk their money with the community after what happened on the Wii. And please, don't hate me. It is just my opinion and I like the fact I got no negative karma... :D .

Offline FLASH

• TGC Junkie
  • Fastest Man Alive
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 05, 2014, 05:21:59 PM »
I'm kinda interested in MK8 and would like to get a Wii U so that I can find a way to stay in touch with the community. I have a feeling that we will all still be here as a community, but we all will have different branches or groups of things we do together. Maybe a few of us will move to MK U and maybe a few of us will mod our Wii to play Ebots.

I need to find the money for a Wii U, then the issue is the amount of playing time I will have.

Offline CodyRs

• TGC Junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 05, 2014, 07:44:58 PM »
Yeah I might and might not get it I'm not so sure...But from videos I've seen of MK8 you cant unlock any new vehicles is that true for you guys who play it?

Offline theJudeAbides

• The Most Interesting Jerk on the Internet
  • I'm theJude, deal with it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 06, 2014, 03:30:48 AM »
Ummm... no.

You start off with just a handful of carts/bikes, tires, gliders, along with a decent selection of racers.  Then as you race, you'll unlock more.  It's pretty easy to unlock things, though.  Basically, for a while every 50 coins you collect will get you a new cart, bike, tire, or glider, up to a point, and then it's ever 100.  For, characters, every time you beat a cup (doesn't matter if it's 50cc, 100cc, or 150cc), you'll get a new character, so you could easily just sit and beat the 50cc cups over and over again until you unlock them all, if you wanted.  Oh, and it's my understanding that the order that you unlock them in is random, but if you keep going, you'll eventually unlock everything.

There are a few parts, though, that require more skill to get.  The "gold parts" require you to do fairly difficult things to unlock them.  For one, you have to beat all the staff ghosts in the time trials, for another you have to get at least 1 star in all the 150cc cups (which means you not only have to get first in the cup, but also score a sufficient amount of points).

Overall, it's a fun game, although it can be a bit frustrating at times.  I don't necessarily think it's an Excitebots replacement, but it is a fun diversion while we wait for something better to come along.
I don't always play videogames, but when I do, I prefer Excitebots.  Keep spinning, my friends.  8)
theJude's Backloggery

Offline CodyRs

• TGC Junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 06, 2014, 10:31:01 AM »
Well now I might own a Wii U with MK8 by the end of summer. ;)