TGC ShoutBox

Refresh History
  • Forum rules apply here! Only members can Shout.
  • TopStarRacer: Happy birthday BTC! :D
    January 10, 2018, 03:48:28 AM
  • JoomX: Got a birthday coming up, eh BTC?  Make it a good one...  :)
    January 06, 2018, 04:58:58 PM
  • JoomX: Well, it's 2018.  9 years old and EB is still the best racing game on the planet...
    January 01, 2018, 04:20:18 PM
  • JoomX: Back at ya, Top.  Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to all.  And yes, EB 2018 would be the best Christmas gift...
    December 24, 2017, 05:14:14 PM
  • TopStarRacer: Merry Christmas and Happy New Year everyone! Here's hoping a new EB comes out in 2018! We can dream right?
    December 24, 2017, 12:07:19 AM
  • JoomX: Wow, four members here today.  It's a revival...  ;D
    December 13, 2017, 11:20:09 PM
  • theJudeAbides: Just need Snooog and Big Air to come back... and for theJude to go away. :D :P
    December 13, 2017, 05:59:08 AM
  • FLASH: Not at all! That's not even the comic book Barry Allen, but I'm ok with Ezra Miller as the Flash. Superman is more my speed these days  8)
    December 10, 2017, 10:17:37 AM
  • TopStarRacer: Hey FLASH! I saw Justice League the other day. How much do you relate to FLASH? :P
    December 08, 2017, 08:45:44 PM
  • JoomX: Good to see you too, Flash.  Too bad we don't have a good game we could all get into and hang out more often...
    December 08, 2017, 01:51:51 PM
  • FLASH: Long time no see Agent C! Good to see you around! BTC wished me a Happy Thanksgiving a few weeks ago so I figured I'd check in and see what's up. Hope you all are doing well!
    December 08, 2017, 01:33:09 PM
  • JoomX: Yes it would, Top.  Miss chatting with the old crew, including Dynamo.  And hey there, Agent C, good to see you...  :)
    December 04, 2017, 12:45:57 PM
  • TopStarRacer: Now if only BIG AIR and Snooog could pop in...be nice to hear from those old farts.
    December 02, 2017, 01:14:34 AM
  • TopStarRacer: The legend himself, how is the ol' AC?  Miss racing and chatting with you!
    December 02, 2017, 01:13:34 AM
  • Agent C: ;D
    December 01, 2017, 07:33:59 PM
  • Agent C: Oh, and Nintendo Switch sucks, wouldn't buy it for $50!
    December 01, 2017, 07:33:29 PM
  • Agent C: See, been that long, forgot it tells who is saying what! :P
    December 01, 2017, 07:31:55 PM
  • Agent C: Agent C, checking in after a long time. Hope everyone is doing well. I'm still around.
    December 01, 2017, 07:30:57 PM
  • JoomX: 33rd?  Wow...
    December 01, 2017, 11:42:04 AM
  • TopStarRacer: Happy 33rd Birthday Excitebike, the one that started it all!
    November 30, 2017, 11:32:16 AM

Author Topic: Broken laptop  (Read 2698 times)

Offline Agent C

• View Profile
Broken laptop
« on: October 29, 2012, 04:00:02 PM »
Ok, here comes my first rant. I'm usually a joyful and happy go lucky person but we all have our down times and I'm in one of them right now. First off, I've pulled something terrible in my back and it hurts so bad that I'm taking the week off with no pay. :( I can barely race or enjoy anything because it hurts to even sit, stand, etc. This morning comes and I guess I dropped my laptop(netbook) one too many times and the display screen is cracked, and it is screwed. >:( I called my local computer repair store and the guys tells me $80 for the labor , not including the part to fix it. He recommended that I just buy another computer. :'( That was my "mumble machine" as I called it. :-\

So I went and bought another netbook that cost me several hundred dollars. One bright side is that I think I did get a good deal on this computer. It has 2GB of memory instead of 1GB and a 11.6 inch screen instead of 10.1, like my other one. It only cost me $1.99 more than if I would have purchased the same computer that I had before. It was $70 off on sale at Target. Should I have just fixed the other one? I guess I still can but that's even more money. >:(

Now I have to completely get this computer going, download mumble and hopefully get it working perfect, like it already was. BTC, ol' buddy, ol'pal, I need mumble help for the third time if you can tonight. :-X

I hope everyone is having a better start to their week than I am. Thank you for listening to my woes. :(

Offline RATROD

• CRASHER/RACER
  • You have located the RAT
    • View Profile
Re: Broken laptop
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2012, 04:08:57 PM »
Sorry to hear that AC hope you start feeling better before the whole week is up bud  :'(
RATROD THE OTHER HOTROD :P  :o  :P

Offline TopStarRacer

• Excite Win Junkie
  • TGC Junkie
  • Race on!
    • View Profile
    • TopStarRacer's YouTube Channel
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2012, 04:09:26 PM »
I hope your back feels better! And I'm sorry about the laptop there...it sounds like the one you got is much better than the other one. Are you still able to get your data off the other computer? Like photos, videos, etc.? Or is it completely busted?

I can shoot you a PM with the basic Mumble setup info. Anything special...well you have BTC for that. ;D

Offline FLASH

• FC: 0648-3542-8677
  • TGC Junkie
  • Fastest Man Alive
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2012, 06:13:52 PM »
Sorry to here that Ac. We must be in sync, because my back has been killing me for around two weeks. Yours is probably more serious though. Get better soon.

Offline Agent C

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2012, 08:28:30 PM »
Thanks guys for the kind words. My back is starting to feel better than earlier today so that's good. TopStar, it's not completely busted, even the screen itself is not cracked but behind the screen is, if that makes sense. I don't have anything data related that I want to transfer from it.

Well, I got my new laptop up and running and installed mumble on it. I fixed the settings the right way. BTC, I'm not sure if I need your help anymore. We have set it up and played with the settings so much, I have it on memory. ;)

That brings me to my next point. I went into mumble to make sure things were correct. I go to plug in both jacks on my headset and there is only one port for a headset. ??? :-\ >:( :( Do most headsets only have one jack for both the microphone and earphones? I noticed my desktop right here only has one port as well.

I have three of these headsets and don't want to buy new ones. Should I take the computer back and get another one? I'm debating on if maybe I should just buy a regular sized (15"-20") laptop. ::) That's what I'm thinking but I'm open for suggestions. Tablets are making these netbooks obsolete.

Offline SkoolYa

• Silence!
  • The bell has rung..take a seat!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2012, 08:29:48 PM »
  >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:(
Take a seat!

Offline JoomX

• I Am The
  • Administrator
  • TGC Junkie
  • It's all about the game...
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2012, 08:44:31 PM »
I'm not much of a tablet fan myself.

If it only has one headphone port, AC, that usually means for listening only.  No mic input.  If that's the case, I guess you could use headphones to listen and the built-in mic to talk.

Barring that, I'd get a $5 USB audio card to plug in for Mumble or anything else where you want to use a full headset.

And glad to hear the back is feeling better.  I've had a bad one for over 30 years and understand...
A computer once beat me at chess, but as it turns out it was no match for me at kickboxing... ;)

Offline CodyRs

• TGC Junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2012, 09:35:28 PM »
Well AC, sorry to here about that. Well if our team goes to the state championships I won't beable to play, since this is my last game to play in on friday. I'm not such a great teen... That's why I have major brakedowns of the stupid stuff here. I'm not a nice kid, that just plays game. I guarantee if you guys knew me in real life you wouldn't like me. Except RATROD since I'm his nephew. :-X
My CodyRs profile is retired! 9,215 Excite Wins and 225 poker wins!

Offline RATROD

• CRASHER/RACER
  • You have located the RAT
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2012, 09:41:36 PM »
Well AC, sorry to here about that. Well if our team goes to the state championships I won't beable to play, since this is my last game to play in on friday. I'm not such a great teen... That's why I have major brakedowns of the stupid stuff here. I'm not a nice kid, that just plays game. I guarantee if you guys knew me in real life you wouldn't like me. Except RATROD since I'm his nephew. :-X
Wait a minute there mister nice guy :P :P :P when did you turn into such a monster :P :P :P :P :P :-* :o :o :o :o :o :o ;)
RATROD THE OTHER HOTROD :P  :o  :P

Offline CodyRs

• TGC Junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2012, 10:23:01 PM »
Think it's just the sophomore year that's getting to me.
My CodyRs profile is retired! 9,215 Excite Wins and 225 poker wins!

Offline Agent C

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 30, 2012, 04:22:00 PM »

If it only has one headphone port, AC, that usually means for listening only.  No mic input.  If that's the case, I guess you could use headphones to listen and the built-in mic to talk.

Barring that, I'd get a $5 USB audio card to plug in for Mumble or anything else where you want to use a full headset.

Ok, I went out shopping today and really did my research this time. They don't sell usb audio cards in stores in my city, only splitters. The associates told me that the usb jack would sound better than the splitter. So I'm gonna buy one on Amazon. One guy told me about newegg.com but I though Amazon was better?

I did take back the netbook I bought and guess what, they had an even better deal! :o I don't know why that girl yesterday didn't show me this. ::) It's a regular 15.6" screen laptop with 4GB DDR3 Memory and 500 GB HDD storage! It was on clearance at $135 off and only one left! Sweet! ;D So, I spent about $90 more but a much better deal I think. It's so slim that it's less than one inch think! 8) It has all the other features also, like Bluetooth 4.0, the DVD drive, LED display screen, etc.

I also discovered that they make a hard cover screen for your computer display and that would have stopped this whole mess in the first place. :( Oh, well what can you say, life is a learning experience. :)

What do you think Joom, does this look ok?

http://www.amazon.com/Syba-SD-CM-UAUD-Adapter-C-Media-Chipset/dp/B001MSS6CS/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1351628136&sr=8-1&keywords=usb+audio+adapter

Offline JoomX

• I Am The
  • Administrator
  • TGC Junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 30, 2012, 04:29:09 PM »
That would be the ticket, AC.  Here's another:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/USB-2-0-AUDIO-SOUND-CARD-ADAPTER-MIC-LAPTOP-PC-/130793540589?_trksid=p2047675.m1850&_trkparms=aid%3D222002%26algo%3DSIC.FIT%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D11%26meid%3D3108853490503092431%26pid%3D100011%26prg%3D1005%26rk%3D1%26sd%3D130793011807%26

They're all over the place.  And they work pretty well.

Congrats on the laptop deal, much better machine.  You'll be happy with it.  Now to get you back into Mumble... ;)
A computer once beat me at chess, but as it turns out it was no match for me at kickboxing... ;)

Offline Agent C

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 31, 2012, 08:38:36 PM »
Well, I love my new computer and everything but I'm still waiting on that audio adapter through Amazon. It will be here between Monday and Thursday of NEXT week. :-X So I guess I will have limited mumble until then.

Snoooog and I tested it out today. I just used the headphones and spoke through the external microphone. I turned up the amplification so I wouldn't have to speak so loud and he said I sounded pretty good, just kind of distant. Any other ideas, BTC, Joom? ::)

Offline JoomX

• I Am The
  • Administrator
  • TGC Junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 31, 2012, 09:16:47 PM »
That's about all you can do till your USB adapter gets there, AC.  With no external mic input you're pretty limited for options.

Just a few days...  ;)

Offline Agent C

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 25, 2012, 05:41:44 PM »
Ok, here is the latest story that is my computer saga. ;D I liked the Acer computer that I bought but hated how flimsy the screen was and the keyboard was laid out too big for my liking. This Black Friday, I bought a HP laptop with 4GB system memory and 320 GB hard drive. My other one was 500 GB but I don't think I'll miss it.

All I can say is wow! I love this computer and I'm sticking with this one all the way. :) First off, I think it runs faster but I'm not sure if it's the AMD Dual-Core E-300 (1.3 GHz) processor or what. I thought with only 320GB hard drive that it would be not as good but I was wrong. :o

I don't have to use my USB audio card because this computer has the normal 2 jacks! The screen is much more sturdy and the mouse pad has ridges instead of being flat. The keyboard is easier to type with and the speakers without headphones are way better!

I also discovered that the reason my mumble was not working right last night was not my USB audio adapter. It was my headphones finally starting to die. :-X I'm thankful that I have 2 backup pair. ;)

This computer has Windows 8 and it will take some time to get used to, but it's nice. I could go on forever about how much it's different but I won't. ::) ???

Overall, I'm super happy with this computer and would never think of getting something else. Even SkoolYa wishes that we put two in the cart. :P ;D

I think that I set up mumble correctly but hopefully someone will hop on and help me test it out later.

Offline JoomX

• I Am The
  • Administrator
  • TGC Junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 25, 2012, 05:58:05 PM »
Cool, AC.  But I do think you should at least go for a 4th before the end of the year.  :P

Mumble later, then...?

Offline SkoolYa

• Silence!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 25, 2012, 07:27:33 PM »
Joom - now don't be giving AC any ideas! This IS the computer of his dreams!  8)
Take a seat!

Offline JoomX

• I Am The
  • Administrator
  • TGC Junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 25, 2012, 07:36:35 PM »
 :P :P :P :P :P

Offline TopStarRacer

• Excite Win Junkie
  • TGC Junkie
  • Race on!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 28, 2012, 04:06:14 PM »
So Agent C, how is Windows 8?

Offline Agent C

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 28, 2012, 06:25:31 PM »
So Agent C, how is Windows 8?

It's way different for sure. I've only had it for 3 days now, so still trying it out. I can go to the desktop feature and it's like having Windows 7 again, strange. I'm not very good at explaining computer terms, that is No Good's and Joom's expertise. ;)

If you go into Internet Explorer the address bar is at the bottom instead of the top. ??? ::) It also uses apps at the Windows store like a smart phone instead of files. I think that is the way to describe it. The start menu is completely different.

I don't really know what else to say? :) Change is something you learn to accept in life I guess.

Offline TopStarRacer

• Excite Win Junkie
  • TGC Junkie
  • Race on!
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 28, 2012, 06:53:47 PM »
I could be getting Windows 8 soon so I thought to ask your thoughts from using it so far. So there is a feature to make it have a Windows 7 feel to it? I'm intrigued with the layout and the whole change of it so I'm looking forward to trying it sometime.

Offline Agent C

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 02, 2012, 04:56:31 PM »
Ok, before you ask, I didn't take back my latest computer. :P Instead, I came across a good deal for SkoolYa. It was a Samsung 4GB 500GB bundle with a carrying case, wireless mouse, 8GB flashdrive, one free year of internet security, and of course Windows 8. :)

We got it for an awesome price and replaced her 3 year old Toshiba. If anyone needs a good deal on a computer, come and visit me. 8) I seem to have some luck finding good buys. ;D

However, I tried to configure her mumble and couldn't get the microphone to work. :-\ I heard part of your mumble chat, BA, Snoooog,<----told you that I would fix your name :D, and TopStar but you guys couldn't hear me. I will try and fix it later.

Offline SkoolYa

• Silence!
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 02, 2012, 05:02:47 PM »
Top, Windows 8 will take some getting used to. It is nothing like any other windows I've ever used. There is a desktop app that will make it more like a computer your used to. As I am messing around with the new format I have come across something weird. When I try to access the TGC from the start menu [where it lists all the apps on my computer] it won't let me play arcade games because it says the Adobe Flash Player isn't current; BUT when I go into the TGC arcade from the Internet Explorer [in desktop mode] I can play any arcade game I want.  ::)  Oh the wonders of Windows 8!  ;D
Take a seat!

Offline TopStarRacer

• Excite Win Junkie
  • TGC Junkie
  • Race on!
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 26, 2012, 01:44:08 AM »
Day one of using Windows 8 and I'm really enjoying it. It does require some adjustment to the normal but once you figure things out, it's a pretty amazing concept. I see a lot of potential out of it. I love how you can pin a lot of things to the start menu as tiles. One thing I always wanted on my Vista was a way to save a thumbnail of webpages to my desktop instead of saving it in my favorites. With 8, you can pin sites to your start menu which I think is incredibly convenient.

So far nothing has really bugged me. Windows 8 does provide a large learning curve for those that aren't exactly great with computers. If you're into exploring new things or trying out what could be the next big thing, Windows 8 is definitely worth the try.

SkoolYa - Yep, just try the Arcade thing. Weird. I guess that takes the parallel OS style that Windows 8 has to another level.

Offline Agent C

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 26, 2012, 04:20:29 PM »
If you don't mind me asking Top, what kind of computer did you get for Xmas? Just the brand and some simple specs will do (memory, hard drive, processor). Any problems with it so far, as far as updates and functions go?

Offline TopStarRacer

• Excite Win Junkie
  • TGC Junkie
  • Race on!
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 26, 2012, 11:57:37 PM »
I received a Toshiba Satellite Laptop. 6GB RAM, Intel Core i7-3630QM CPU @ 2.40GHz Processor, 64-bit OS, and a 700GB Hard Drive.

I haven't encountered any issues with it yet. This is my first Toshiba computer (previously had HP). Everything is running smoothly, no glitches or loading issues of any kind. I'm pretty happy with it so far.

Initially I wanted an 8GB RAM computer but the sales guy informed me that there isn't a huge difference in RAM once you go above 4GB. I remembered reading this online too so I believed him. This computer that I have also has a better graphics card, which explained the price difference. If I ever wanted more RAM I can also pop the memory cover underneath the computer and have it installed.

Still learning Windows 8. I keep thinking that grabbing an app from the top and dragging it to the bottom is minimizing. I was in the middle of typing my post to theJude when I did this, realizing that it closes the app and doesn't minimize it (had to type it all over...). I watched videos to help warm me up to it and so far no big issues.

Offline Agent C

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 27, 2012, 05:19:33 PM »
I received a Toshiba Satellite Laptop. 6GB RAM, Intel Core i7-3630QM CPU @ 2.40GHz Processor, 64-bit OS, and a 700GB Hard Drive.

:o :o That sounds like a real nice computer! Maybe that is why I've had so much trouble with these computers (going on the cheaper side). ::)

Quick question: does your Toshiba have a rough feel to the touchpad?

Offline TopStarRacer

• Excite Win Junkie
  • TGC Junkie
  • Race on!
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 27, 2012, 05:53:20 PM »
This is a nice upgrade from my old laptop from 4 years ago.

I'm a mouse user so I don't play with the touchpad much. The touchpad is smooth and works alright. There isn't a scroll thing on the side of the touchpad so scrolling will be more of a hassle on this computer using it.

They say a touchscreen is more intuitive to use for Windows 8 but so far, things are working just fine with a mouse.

Offline TopStarRacer

• Excite Win Junkie
  • TGC Junkie
  • Race on!
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 05, 2013, 08:40:42 PM »
Well...I just experienced my first concern with my new laptop.  :-\ About 15 minutes ago a bizarre ticking, glitchy sounding noise was coming from *I think* the right underside of my laptop. Every night at 12am my computer makes a quieter click interally which I had always thought was weird.

Not sure what the cause is but that sure was not normal. Everything on the screen and such functioned fine, I had to shutdown the computer to make the noise stop. It's back on and no noise yet...  :-X