TGC ShoutBox

Refresh History
  • Forum rules apply here! Only members can Shout.
  • TopStarRacer: Happy birthday BTC! :D
    January 10, 2018, 03:48:28 AM
  • JoomX: Got a birthday coming up, eh BTC?  Make it a good one...  :)
    January 06, 2018, 04:58:58 PM
  • JoomX: Well, it's 2018.  9 years old and EB is still the best racing game on the planet...
    January 01, 2018, 04:20:18 PM
  • JoomX: Back at ya, Top.  Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to all.  And yes, EB 2018 would be the best Christmas gift...
    December 24, 2017, 05:14:14 PM
  • TopStarRacer: Merry Christmas and Happy New Year everyone! Here's hoping a new EB comes out in 2018! We can dream right?
    December 24, 2017, 12:07:19 AM
  • JoomX: Wow, four members here today.  It's a revival...  ;D
    December 13, 2017, 11:20:09 PM
  • theJudeAbides: Just need Snooog and Big Air to come back... and for theJude to go away. :D :P
    December 13, 2017, 05:59:08 AM
  • FLASH: Not at all! That's not even the comic book Barry Allen, but I'm ok with Ezra Miller as the Flash. Superman is more my speed these days  8)
    December 10, 2017, 10:17:37 AM
  • TopStarRacer: Hey FLASH! I saw Justice League the other day. How much do you relate to FLASH? :P
    December 08, 2017, 08:45:44 PM
  • JoomX: Good to see you too, Flash.  Too bad we don't have a good game we could all get into and hang out more often...
    December 08, 2017, 01:51:51 PM
  • FLASH: Long time no see Agent C! Good to see you around! BTC wished me a Happy Thanksgiving a few weeks ago so I figured I'd check in and see what's up. Hope you all are doing well!
    December 08, 2017, 01:33:09 PM
  • JoomX: Yes it would, Top.  Miss chatting with the old crew, including Dynamo.  And hey there, Agent C, good to see you...  :)
    December 04, 2017, 12:45:57 PM
  • TopStarRacer: Now if only BIG AIR and Snooog could pop in...be nice to hear from those old farts.
    December 02, 2017, 01:14:34 AM
  • TopStarRacer: The legend himself, how is the ol' AC?  Miss racing and chatting with you!
    December 02, 2017, 01:13:34 AM
  • Agent C: ;D
    December 01, 2017, 07:33:59 PM
  • Agent C: Oh, and Nintendo Switch sucks, wouldn't buy it for $50!
    December 01, 2017, 07:33:29 PM
  • Agent C: See, been that long, forgot it tells who is saying what! :P
    December 01, 2017, 07:31:55 PM
  • Agent C: Agent C, checking in after a long time. Hope everyone is doing well. I'm still around.
    December 01, 2017, 07:30:57 PM
  • JoomX: 33rd?  Wow...
    December 01, 2017, 11:42:04 AM
  • TopStarRacer: Happy 33rd Birthday Excitebike, the one that started it all!
    November 30, 2017, 11:32:16 AM

Author Topic: Thinking of leaving console games for a while  (Read 1078 times)

Offline Feeble

• Rookie
  • Veni vidi vomui
    • View Profile
Thinking of leaving console games for a while
« on: March 04, 2013, 06:04:52 PM »
As many of you know, in 2010 I finished my Masters and was approved to start my PhD. This is my last year, hence the low gaming on my side. Because of all that, I had plans on buying a WiiU or another console this year (to eventually celebrate), since the Wii is at its last moments and my 2007 Core 2 duo wouldn't run the games I would like to play.

Well, it was still a good computer, with 4 gigs Ram and all, enough for my working needs. But then came last week and all of a sudden the computer died :cry: .

Since I cannot be without one because of my schedule and don't have the time or patience to deal with fixing dudes (and I don't wish to use either my wife's or my son's computers), I started to research for a machine that would fit my needs. And this is what I'm about to get: http://www.notebookcheck.net/Review-Dell-Inspiron-15R-Special-Edition-Notebook.78323.0.html. The order is placed and it should be here in 5-7 days.

I know, the one that died was a Dell too, and I could be in doubt for them having let me down once, but with that config it was the cheapest option in Brazilian market (electronics here are REALLY expensive), at about 1400 US$. Also, it worked well while alive. :P And here is what this thing can handle, although not an exclusively gaming machine: (the IPad is breaking the links, so just Google  "Inspiron 15r Far Cry 3" or "Inspiron 15r Battlefield 3").

All this said, I am neither in the mood to give Nintendo another almost thousand dollars (the price the WiiU is going to be around here) nor would spend the time playing both a PC and a Console. So, i may be away from console gaming for a while and would like to have the opinion of my good friends in here.

Offline HyperMite

• The Parachuting Moose
  • Yep, that's me.
    • View Profile
Re: Thinking of leaving console games for a while
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2013, 06:40:53 PM »
You should do what is priority (not video games) and use your money for better reasons rather than  entertainment that you might not have any time for anyway.

Offline Feeble

• Rookie
  • Veni vidi vomui
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2013, 06:46:45 PM »
Hehehe, I sure do it, Hyper. That's one of the reasons I quit EB and many other games I used to love. Also, it's another reason you don't see me around here much. I don't spend more than 2-3 hours a week playing anything.

Offline JoomX

• I Am The
  • Administrator
  • TGC Junkie
  • It's all about the game...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2013, 06:53:21 PM »
I still love EB for the ability to jump into races when I'm on the phone or doing other things.  Great way to kill some time, even when I can't pay close attention.  And it's still fun to get in when I can pay attention.

But, since I went looking through old PC FPS games and found out that UberSoldier 2 runs on Win 7, I've been playing that a lot.  Only bad thing is I can't be on the phone or doing anything else like I can with EB, but I'm pretty happy being back in a PC shooter again.

Can't find anyone online, but I'm still hoping.  I can't spend close to as much time on a PC FPS as I do on EB, but if I could find people to play with I'd be on there a lot.  I knew I missed PC games, just didn't remember how much.

With where you're at right now, Feeble, I'd do the same thing.  And if you come across a copy of UberSoldier 2, or any other comparable 'old style' FPS that runs on Win 7 and doesn't require steam, just let me know...
A computer once beat me at chess, but as it turns out it was no match for me at kickboxing... ;)

Offline Feeble

• Rookie
  • Veni vidi vomui
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2013, 06:58:20 PM »
Sure will, Joom. It is gonna be a pleasure.

BTW, I've read your post about hating Steam. To be honest, I was thinking of using it since they are already in Brazil and they do not overcharge games just because it is Brazil. They just make the currency conversion. Now I'm in doubt, since your opinion counts a lot to me.

Offline JoomX

• I Am The
  • Administrator
  • TGC Junkie
  • It's all about the game...
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2013, 07:10:59 PM »
It's not necessarily that Steam is a bad thing, Feeble.  Just not my thing.  A ton of people are using it, even though a lot of those people complain about it.  Problem is that most of the popular games are on it now, so if you wanna play 'em ya gotta play with Steam.

I just don't like being forced to download any available update whenever I want to play, having to be online if I don't want to be (yes, I know there are 'ways'), and having my play time tracked to that extent and farmed out to marketing people.

Besides, I like the older style FPS games to begin with.

Anyway, there is no shortage of people using it, so if you want a game that plays through Steam I can't give you a good reason not to get it.  Other than the ones I mentioned that I don't care for...
A computer once beat me at chess, but as it turns out it was no match for me at kickboxing... ;)

Offline HyperMite

• The Parachuting Moose
  • Yep, that's me.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2013, 07:23:53 PM »
With where you're at right now, Feeble, I'd do the same thing.  And if you come across a copy of UberSoldier 2, or any other comparable 'old style' FPS that runs on Win 7 and doesn't require steam, just let me know...

I was about to say Team Fortress 2 but then...
I have Borderlands for my PC, but all the colors in game are inverted, probably has to do something with me using a crack or the type of system, because mine is 32 Bit. I wish I had a 64 Bit PC.

EDIT: right after I made this post, I got a notification on the bottom left saying Team Fortress 2 had finished downloading when I already installed it!

Offline theJudeAbides

• The Most Interesting Jerk on the Internet
  • I'm theJude, deal with it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2013, 04:26:47 AM »
Feeble, I'm kinda in the same boat as you right now.  Over here, the Wii U is only around $350, but you can get a pretty decent (but not amazing) PC for $500-$750 and I've been REALLY wanting to get one, but I'm still trying to raise the money.  The thing is, my roommate had given me her old comp to play when she got a new computer, and I got into Star Wars: The Old Republic (a MMO) pretty bad.  Then, when we moved from one apartment to another, the thing died (it was pretty old).  We determined it was the motherboard, and for the cost of fixing that, I could just as well get a whole new computer.

As far as the Wii U is concernted, there's really nothing compelling me to get the console at this time.  There's a couple good games out for it, but nothing that's really making me dieing to get it.  Maybe that'll change after E3 (I have a gut feeling Nintendo's going to storm the gates with all kinds of new game announcements.  At least, they'd better, because we know Sony and Microsoft are going to be coming hard with the PS4 and X-Box 720, respectively).  However, shy of Excitebots 2 being announced, I'm inclined to wait until the first price drop (which will probably be in a year or two) before grabbing it.

And as for Steam, I've always thought it was a pretty cool thing.  Valve is, in my opinion, one of the best developers out there and one that's doing the most for gamers.  They have all kinds of sales on their for games of all kinds, help Indy developers get exposure for their games, and, in general, are awesome towards gamers.  JOOM, if you think Steam is bad, go read up on EA's "Origin" service (which is their response to Steam).  Absolutely GOD AWFUL, and the exact opposite of what Steam does.  It exists solely to get more money out of gamer's pockets and into EA's.  Most of EA's newer games require that you have it installed, and it is crap.

Oh, as far as the "online only", I never had any problems with that.  You only need to be online to download games and play online, but once you've got the game, you can switch Steam to "offline mode" and play.
I don't always play videogames, but when I do, I prefer Excitebots.  Keep spinning, my friends.  8)
theJude's Backloggery

Offline Feeble

• Rookie
  • Veni vidi vomui
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2013, 05:21:29 AM »
I'm glad to know it, tJ. After the N64, I kinda switched to PC for many years. As games, at least for me, are all about the experience, I only decided to return to consoles because of Wii's uniqueness (the consoles could not provide the same as PC's untill then, and guess they still can't. Motion controls got me back but I don't really see it happening again this generation, unless EB2 comes out. I'll miss Monster Hunter though).

I just get a little envy that in the US you can get the same notebook as the one I showed for less than a thousand bucks...

As for the games, it's been a while since the likes of Skyrim, Mass Effect and Dark Souls have drawn my attention.

So, let me know if you get a new machine.

Offline HyperMite

• The Parachuting Moose
  • Yep, that's me.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2013, 06:31:29 PM »
My dad bought parts for many different types of computers and is fixing other computers up and selling them for a lot of money. He has 3 laptops and 4 of these devices called PC Books. They're like a laptop, but not used for work or things and has no disk drive. He told me he would still gain a profit if we kept 2 of the PC Books, so he could probably build a few laptops and GIVE one to you (if he was willing to) and still make a profit of the other ones.

I must've installed Steam or TF2 incorrectly, because when I try to add friends to my Steam account it says I still need to install a game before I can.