TGC ShoutBox

Refresh History
  • Forum rules apply here! Only members can Shout.
  • TopStarRacer: Happy birthday BTC! :D
    January 10, 2018, 03:48:28 AM
  • JoomX: Got a birthday coming up, eh BTC?  Make it a good one...  :)
    January 06, 2018, 04:58:58 PM
  • JoomX: Well, it's 2018.  9 years old and EB is still the best racing game on the planet...
    January 01, 2018, 04:20:18 PM
  • JoomX: Back at ya, Top.  Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to all.  And yes, EB 2018 would be the best Christmas gift...
    December 24, 2017, 05:14:14 PM
  • TopStarRacer: Merry Christmas and Happy New Year everyone! Here's hoping a new EB comes out in 2018! We can dream right?
    December 24, 2017, 12:07:19 AM
  • JoomX: Wow, four members here today.  It's a revival...  ;D
    December 13, 2017, 11:20:09 PM
  • theJudeAbides: Just need Snooog and Big Air to come back... and for theJude to go away. :D :P
    December 13, 2017, 05:59:08 AM
  • FLASH: Not at all! That's not even the comic book Barry Allen, but I'm ok with Ezra Miller as the Flash. Superman is more my speed these days  8)
    December 10, 2017, 10:17:37 AM
  • TopStarRacer: Hey FLASH! I saw Justice League the other day. How much do you relate to FLASH? :P
    December 08, 2017, 08:45:44 PM
  • JoomX: Good to see you too, Flash.  Too bad we don't have a good game we could all get into and hang out more often...
    December 08, 2017, 01:51:51 PM
  • FLASH: Long time no see Agent C! Good to see you around! BTC wished me a Happy Thanksgiving a few weeks ago so I figured I'd check in and see what's up. Hope you all are doing well!
    December 08, 2017, 01:33:09 PM
  • JoomX: Yes it would, Top.  Miss chatting with the old crew, including Dynamo.  And hey there, Agent C, good to see you...  :)
    December 04, 2017, 12:45:57 PM
  • TopStarRacer: Now if only BIG AIR and Snooog could pop in...be nice to hear from those old farts.
    December 02, 2017, 01:14:34 AM
  • TopStarRacer: The legend himself, how is the ol' AC?  Miss racing and chatting with you!
    December 02, 2017, 01:13:34 AM
  • Agent C: ;D
    December 01, 2017, 07:33:59 PM
  • Agent C: Oh, and Nintendo Switch sucks, wouldn't buy it for $50!
    December 01, 2017, 07:33:29 PM
  • Agent C: See, been that long, forgot it tells who is saying what! :P
    December 01, 2017, 07:31:55 PM
  • Agent C: Agent C, checking in after a long time. Hope everyone is doing well. I'm still around.
    December 01, 2017, 07:30:57 PM
  • JoomX: 33rd?  Wow...
    December 01, 2017, 11:42:04 AM
  • TopStarRacer: Happy 33rd Birthday Excitebike, the one that started it all!
    November 30, 2017, 11:32:16 AM

Author Topic: [3DS] Pokemon X & Y  (Read 825 times)

Offline TopStarRacer

• Excite Win Junkie
  • TGC Junkie
  • Race on!
    • View Profile
    • TopStarRacer's YouTube Channel
[3DS] Pokemon X & Y
« on: June 14, 2013, 06:08:44 PM »
[There's no 3DS board so I'm putting this on the DS board]

Pokemon X & Y will be the next installments in the Pokemon Franchise this October and will begin the 6th generation of the series. A lot of information has been released about the game over the last several months, more so during E3.

Why I'm excited:
I've been a fan of Pokemon since the original 151 and have continued to follow the franchise throughout the generations. I'm especially excited for these games because it's the first time they'll be in 3D on a handheld. I was a fan of Colosseum and XD on the Gamecube so it's great to see the graphics on the handhelds are approaching them.

What I feel about the new Pokemon:
I don't have as many issues with Pokemon designs these days as others might as every gen comes with good and bad designs. So far, of the two main legendaries, Yveltal looks the coolest (which is why I'll be getting Y first). I also like Noivern, Gogoat, and Clauncher. What I don't care for is the new Mewtwo forme. Why they went back 5 generations to give one of the coolest legendaries in the game a hideous new forme is beyond me. If anything, making it a whole new Pokemon (like MewThree) would've been a whole lot better. For a list of currently revealed Pokemon, visit here.

Based on pattern, I don't expect there to be a whole lot of new Pokemon. Gens 2 and 4 seemed to focus on evolutions of older Pokemon and have less while Gens 3 and 5 focused on newer fresh designs and have more. They introduced over 150 new Pokemon in Black & White so I'm imagining around 100-120 new Pokemon to be introduced in X & Y.

The new Pokemon Type:
For the first time since Gold & Silver, Pokemon is introducing a new battle type: Fairy. Many figured there may be a new type due to the eeveelution tease Sylveon and how it didn't match any existing types very well. The type gives Dragon type Pokemon a third weakness to help balance out their power. No weaknesses or other strengths were given for the new Type but if I were to guess, Poison would make a great weakness for Fairy (think Fairytales, Dragons, etc.). Poison right now is only strong against Grass types so it only makes sense to beef up Poison Pokemon's offense.

Fairy has long an egg group in the games but it's nice to see it as a type to balance the game better. Originally Light and Sound were rumored to be new types (look at all the Sound based moves and Pokemon) but were proven false. If Sound was a new type, surely Noivern would of been part Sound.

Backward Compatability:
During the Q&A session at E3, one the questions were:

Q - Can you import Pokemon from previous games?
A - We are thinking of something. The DS and 3DS can't communicate, but we are working on it.

This worries me while at the same time pleases me that they want to include BC with 5th generation. As hyped as I am for X & Y, if I can't bring the Pokemon from my 3rd, 4th, and 5th generation games...that right there will be a deal breaker. I'd like my Charizard from FireRed, Espeon & Umbreon from Colloseum, and Infernape from Pearl to rock an appearance in the new games.

I know not many were happy when G/S/C couldn't connect with R/S/E. With over 700 Pokemon on the horizon, not continuing the chain would make it very hard to "catch them all".

On a related note, I hope they bring Ribbons back to the game. I was disappointed when Ribbons were removed in B&W. To me, they showed a Pokemon's achievements on it's travels. I'd love my older gen Pokemon to continue collecting ribbons in the newer games that say "Hey, I've been in numerous games...beating Pokemon from various regions across the GBA, DS, and 3DS!"

That's all I have right now. Anyone else looking forward to these games? Not looking forward to them? Share your thoughts.

Offline theJudeAbides

• The Most Interesting Jerk on the Internet
  • I'm theJude, deal with it.
    • View Profile
Re: [3DS] Pokemon X & Y
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2013, 09:43:41 PM »
I remember playing Gold back in the day and enjoying it, although I always wished I could play it on a TV screen instead.  And that's my biggest problem with Pokemon these days: all the good, actual Pokemon games come out for the handhelds and all the consoles get are crappy spinoffs and Battle-type games.  Why can't they give us an actual adventure "gotta-catch-em-all" type game on a console?

But even that would be nothing compared to the most obvious thing ever: A full-fledged Pokemon MMO on a console (presumably the Wii U).  Not only would such a game allow Nintendo to stomp the other consoles, it would allow them to stomp PCs as well.  How many WOW and other PC MMO gamers would you draw?  If done right, I'd say A LOT.  Think about it, you could go around by yourself collecting the common pokemon, leveling up, etc...  Then, if you wanted to go chase down a legendary, you could join a group and go into an instanced area and try to do so.  You could battle anyone you meet any time you like just by asking them to battle (although you/they would have the option to decline).  I don't necessarily know that you'd need factions, but if you had them, you could then have PVP areas/servers that would essentially be Pokemon battle zones with people battling all over the place.

Tell me you wouldn't play that game.  Tell me you wouldn't pay a subscription fee for that.  You can't because you know you would.  I know I would.
I don't always play videogames, but when I do, I prefer Excitebots.  Keep spinning, my friends.  8)
theJude's Backloggery

Offline TopStarRacer

• Excite Win Junkie
  • TGC Junkie
  • Race on!
    • View Profile
    • TopStarRacer's YouTube Channel
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2013, 11:43:30 PM »
I believe the reason Game Freak is keeping the main RPG series on the handhelds is so you can experience trading and battling others by taking the game with you. Hence why it's called Pocket Monsters.

Now trust me, I would love to play my Pokemon Games on the big screen.  I got the GameBoy Player Accessory for my Gamecube just so I could play GBA games on it. The Wii U provides dual screen support so this generation would be PERFECT for producing something that could play DS (and perhaps 3DS games) on the Wii U. I doubt something like this will happen but it would be something I'd buy.

I felt Pokemon Colosseum and Pokemon XD were great games on the Gamecube despite not being the traditional format. They offered a fresh story and they were able to communicate with the main games which was great. The games on the Wii...disappointing. I'm hoping Nintendo will produce something good that connects with X & Y on the Wii U.

I'm curious to how the future of games will work as they add more regions and Pokemon. The REMAKES to the original Red/Blue are almost a decade old. Ruby & Sapphire are due for one. At some point they need to create a game that allows us to revisit the older regions in a single game. HeartGold & SoulSilver allows us (like GS did) to visit Kanto. Something like that needs to happen....because remakes of remakes doesn't work for me. Perhaps eShop? Then again, revisiting regions with a different story would be cool. That's something that impresses me about Black 2...it really is a sequel to Black 1, not just an enhanced version like Emerald and Platinum were to their respected generations.

And yeah, I couldn't say no to a Pokemon MMO. Something like that....*drools*

Offline theJudeAbides

• The Most Interesting Jerk on the Internet
  • I'm theJude, deal with it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2013, 01:52:04 PM »
Today's Penny Arcade comic:

... is relevant to this discussion.
I don't always play videogames, but when I do, I prefer Excitebots.  Keep spinning, my friends.  8)
theJude's Backloggery