TGC ShoutBox

Refresh History
  • Forum rules apply here! Only members can Shout.
  • TopStarRacer: Happy birthday BTC! :D
    January 10, 2018, 03:48:28 AM
  • JoomX: Got a birthday coming up, eh BTC?  Make it a good one...  :)
    January 06, 2018, 04:58:58 PM
  • JoomX: Well, it's 2018.  9 years old and EB is still the best racing game on the planet...
    January 01, 2018, 04:20:18 PM
  • JoomX: Back at ya, Top.  Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to all.  And yes, EB 2018 would be the best Christmas gift...
    December 24, 2017, 05:14:14 PM
  • TopStarRacer: Merry Christmas and Happy New Year everyone! Here's hoping a new EB comes out in 2018! We can dream right?
    December 24, 2017, 12:07:19 AM
  • JoomX: Wow, four members here today.  It's a revival...  ;D
    December 13, 2017, 11:20:09 PM
  • theJudeAbides: Just need Snooog and Big Air to come back... and for theJude to go away. :D :P
    December 13, 2017, 05:59:08 AM
  • FLASH: Not at all! That's not even the comic book Barry Allen, but I'm ok with Ezra Miller as the Flash. Superman is more my speed these days  8)
    December 10, 2017, 10:17:37 AM
  • TopStarRacer: Hey FLASH! I saw Justice League the other day. How much do you relate to FLASH? :P
    December 08, 2017, 08:45:44 PM
  • JoomX: Good to see you too, Flash.  Too bad we don't have a good game we could all get into and hang out more often...
    December 08, 2017, 01:51:51 PM
  • FLASH: Long time no see Agent C! Good to see you around! BTC wished me a Happy Thanksgiving a few weeks ago so I figured I'd check in and see what's up. Hope you all are doing well!
    December 08, 2017, 01:33:09 PM
  • JoomX: Yes it would, Top.  Miss chatting with the old crew, including Dynamo.  And hey there, Agent C, good to see you...  :)
    December 04, 2017, 12:45:57 PM
  • TopStarRacer: Now if only BIG AIR and Snooog could pop in...be nice to hear from those old farts.
    December 02, 2017, 01:14:34 AM
  • TopStarRacer: The legend himself, how is the ol' AC?  Miss racing and chatting with you!
    December 02, 2017, 01:13:34 AM
  • Agent C: ;D
    December 01, 2017, 07:33:59 PM
  • Agent C: Oh, and Nintendo Switch sucks, wouldn't buy it for $50!
    December 01, 2017, 07:33:29 PM
  • Agent C: See, been that long, forgot it tells who is saying what! :P
    December 01, 2017, 07:31:55 PM
  • Agent C: Agent C, checking in after a long time. Hope everyone is doing well. I'm still around.
    December 01, 2017, 07:30:57 PM
  • JoomX: 33rd?  Wow...
    December 01, 2017, 11:42:04 AM
  • TopStarRacer: Happy 33rd Birthday Excitebike, the one that started it all!
    November 30, 2017, 11:32:16 AM

Author Topic: Things that steer me away from Excitebots...  (Read 529 times)

Offline theJudeAbides

• The Most Interesting Jerk on the Internet
  • I'm theJude, deal with it.
    • View Profile
Things that steer me away from Excitebots...
« on: December 09, 2013, 07:33:09 AM »
So many of you have been hearing me talking about SWTOR (Star Wars: The Old Republic) in the Shout Box or in C3.  It's an MMORPG set in the Star Wars universe and is generally well made.  As a large Star Wars nerd, it really sucked me in, as each of the classes have really good (and unique) story-lines.  However, then they came out with this last week:

Son.  Of.  A.  Beech.  Despite there only being one game mode with only 2 maps (although I'm sure they'll keep adding more with time), I'm already head-over-heels for this mode, and mind you, this is coming from someone who had previously paid little to no attention to PvP (which this is, exclusively).  I loved Rogue Squadron back on the N64 and later Rogue Squadron II on the Gamecube, but there wasn't any good Star Wars flight games this generation to draw my attention.  I hadn't realized how badly I was jonesing for it until this came along with all it's awesomeness.  What's cool, too, is that it has a hint of X-Wing vs Tie Fighter in it as well.  Although not as in-depth as that game, it's certainly more in-depth that the Rogue Squadron (which were great but greatly simplified in their controls).  I think this actually strikes a nice balance between the overly-simplistic Rogue-Squadron and the overly anal-retentive XvT.  Plus, there's the upgrade options which allow you to modify your ships with different weapons and companions.

Now, you may think this gives the vets and advantage over the noobies, and perhaps slightly, but it really just gives them more options.  And even if you suck and don't get any kills and do very little damage, you'll still get upgrade points to spend, so you'll eventually unlock.  If I had to give one complaint about the game, it'd be this: I don't think the tutorial provided does a proper job teaching you the basics of the game.  I actually had to go back through it a couple times before I figured out how to properly aim at and hit other ships.  The thing is, it pops up some text which seems a bit confusing, so you whiz right through it to get to the actual piloting/shooting.  Except all it gives you to shoot are stationary drones.  No moving objects whatsoever.  Now, I'm not asking highly intelligent bots here, but just some basic ones to teach you to aim in the proper spot (It took me an embarrassingly long time to realize I wasn't supposed aim AT the ship, but at the little circle it projects in front of it when you're locked on... this WASN'T explained except in a quick blurb in the text).  Anyways, once you learn how to properly aim and use your weapons, dodge and evade, and the pros and cons of each ship type, it's a blast. :D ;D 8)

And it's taking up more and more of my Excitebots time... :( :'( :(
I don't always play videogames, but when I do, I prefer Excitebots.  Keep spinning, my friends.  8)
theJude's Backloggery