Author Topic: Well, I finally pulled the trigger...  (Read 876 times)

Offline theJudeAbides

• The Most Interesting Jerk on the Internet
  • I'm theJude, deal with it.
    • View Profile
Well, I finally pulled the trigger...
« on: April 10, 2014, 07:26:50 AM »
... and bought a Wii U.

Call it the perfect storm of great sales and a nice helping of those generic giftcards (visa and mastercard) which I recieved from work.

So, as I've stated numerous times, I work a lot at my new job.  And while this is exhausting and frustrating at times, it's not without it's perks.  Perks like $25 and $50 giftcards.  They give them away for performance, training, or just as giveaways at company events.  I've gotten several since I started working there and have been saving them, and recently got up to $250 in giftcards and was contemplating how to spend them (the Wii U was on the list, but so were a lot of other things including a 3DS).

But then, Target, my old workplace was like, "I know, let's have not one, but TWO really great sales pertaining to the Wii U!!"  First, we'll give you a $50 Target giftcard if you buy one of the New Super Mario Bros Wii U bundles.  Next, we'll have a generic sale on all videogames (including Wii U ones) where if you buy 2 games, you can get a 3rd one free.  "Well, OK then," I replied.

So I gathered my giftcards, strode into Target, found an electronics Team Member and said, "Come hither, son."  I pointed at 3 games, which he took out for me, and then I hefted one of the Wii Us up and we went to the checkout.  "We'll be doing this in TWO transactions," I said.  He nodded in confirmation.

He rang up the Wii U, and I started with the giftcards.  When they were done, I only had $65 left to pay, which I did with Redcard.  He handed my my $50 Target gifcard.

Then, he rang up the 3 games, with the 3rd one automatically being deducted as free.  I gave him my employee discount card to scan (sadly, I can't use it when paying with the generic giftcards), then handed him back the $50 giftcard.  After all that, the remainder was around $62, which I paid with my Redcard.

He bagged up everything in a large leftover Christmas bag and handed it to me.  I smiled, thanked him, and walked out the door.

For $127 out of pocket, I had just purchased a Wii U with New Super Mario Bros. Wii U & New Super Luigi Wii U bundled, Super Mario 3D World, Donkey Kong Country Returns: Tropical Freeze, and Pikmin 3.

I felt good.  Call me a traitor if you must, but you can't deny that that wasn't a hell of a deal!  :o ;D :o

.... and Mario Kart 8 comes out at the end of May. 8)
I don't always play videogames, but when I do, I prefer Excitebots.  Keep spinning, my friends.  8)
theJude's Backloggery

Offline Dynam0

• View Profile
Re: Well, I finally pulled the trigger...
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2014, 09:45:12 AM »
Traitor? If so, I've been one for a year. I'm very happy with the WiiU, although I admit I spend a lot of time just watching Netflix on it. It seems to work better than on our smart BluRay player.

I also like a few downloadables like Edge (8 bit platformer) and Wii Sports Club.

Once you get you yours up and running, we can do the friend thing. Run some Mario Kart 8. etc.

Offline TopStarRacer

• Excite Win Junkie
  • TGC Junkie
  • Race on!
    • View Profile
    • TopStarRacer's YouTube Channel
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2014, 09:27:53 PM »
Will you be doing the whole Wii to Wii U transfer thing or do you plan on keeping all your data (including ExciteBots) on the Wii?

I've been tempted to buy a Wii U but I'm much too occupied with my 3DS right now to develop interest.

Offline theJudeAbides

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2014, 07:01:43 AM »
Well, dynamO, I'm mainly focusing on New Super Mario Bros Wii U (ok, that name is just ridiculously long), and the other games I got are all single-player, so I'll wait on the Friend Code stuff for now.  But yeah, once Mario Kart comes out, you and I (and anybody else here) are going to have to hook up for some races.

TopStar: I haven't transferred anything yet, and I'm not sure if I will or not.  The Wii still runs fine, so I don't see any need, and it's still plugged in to the TV, so I can easily play it.

I'd like to get a 3DS at some point, too, but right now with the new Wii U and numerous Wii games I recently got as well, I'd like to catch up a bit before buying a handheld.
I don't always play videogames, but when I do, I prefer Excitebots.  Keep spinning, my friends.  8)
theJude's Backloggery

Offline Agent C

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2014, 08:28:03 PM »
That was a good deal theJude! I'm still upset with Nintendo but if you guys and others start playing Wii U games online, I might have to break down and buy a Wii U. :)

Offline theJudeAbides

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2014, 07:11:43 AM »
Dynamo, are you aware of this shipping company whose name is similar to yours?  Today I saw a truck with that name on the road and it made me think about you racing one of the Mexico courses.  Oh, and it's 7 characters, too, so you could totally use it! :D  Or maybe you did at some point? ???  I can never keep track of all the names you've used. ::)

Anyways, I was looking for you to friend, but I seem to recall there were several Dynamos.  Can you list your exact name on there so I can find you?  Or maybe it would be easier for you to find me.  I'm "theJude" but not "theJudeAbides."  Apparently somebody beat me to it. :'(  If there's one thing I don't abide, it's name stealing!! >:(
theJude's Backloggery

Offline Dynam0

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2014, 01:36:55 PM »
No kidding, someone took theJudeAbides? Anyway, I'll see if I can find you. You'll know who when you see the name. It's not Dynam0..

I know there are some Dynamo corporate names out there but I think I should retire the name.

Offline KaBoom

• Tick....Tick....KABOOM!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2014, 10:02:02 PM »
I have a wii u also. And I also use it mainly for netflix  :-X
Kaboom!!!! Your mind was just blown.