TGC ShoutBox

Refresh History
  • Forum rules apply here! Only members can Shout.
  • TopStarRacer: Happy birthday BTC! :D
    January 10, 2018, 03:48:28 AM
  • JoomX: Got a birthday coming up, eh BTC?  Make it a good one...  :)
    January 06, 2018, 04:58:58 PM
  • JoomX: Well, it's 2018.  9 years old and EB is still the best racing game on the planet...
    January 01, 2018, 04:20:18 PM
  • JoomX: Back at ya, Top.  Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to all.  And yes, EB 2018 would be the best Christmas gift...
    December 24, 2017, 05:14:14 PM
  • TopStarRacer: Merry Christmas and Happy New Year everyone! Here's hoping a new EB comes out in 2018! We can dream right?
    December 24, 2017, 12:07:19 AM
  • JoomX: Wow, four members here today.  It's a revival...  ;D
    December 13, 2017, 11:20:09 PM
  • theJudeAbides: Just need Snooog and Big Air to come back... and for theJude to go away. :D :P
    December 13, 2017, 05:59:08 AM
  • FLASH: Not at all! That's not even the comic book Barry Allen, but I'm ok with Ezra Miller as the Flash. Superman is more my speed these days  8)
    December 10, 2017, 10:17:37 AM
  • TopStarRacer: Hey FLASH! I saw Justice League the other day. How much do you relate to FLASH? :P
    December 08, 2017, 08:45:44 PM
  • JoomX: Good to see you too, Flash.  Too bad we don't have a good game we could all get into and hang out more often...
    December 08, 2017, 01:51:51 PM
  • FLASH: Long time no see Agent C! Good to see you around! BTC wished me a Happy Thanksgiving a few weeks ago so I figured I'd check in and see what's up. Hope you all are doing well!
    December 08, 2017, 01:33:09 PM
  • JoomX: Yes it would, Top.  Miss chatting with the old crew, including Dynamo.  And hey there, Agent C, good to see you...  :)
    December 04, 2017, 12:45:57 PM
  • TopStarRacer: Now if only BIG AIR and Snooog could pop in...be nice to hear from those old farts.
    December 02, 2017, 01:14:34 AM
  • TopStarRacer: The legend himself, how is the ol' AC?  Miss racing and chatting with you!
    December 02, 2017, 01:13:34 AM
  • Agent C: ;D
    December 01, 2017, 07:33:59 PM
  • Agent C: Oh, and Nintendo Switch sucks, wouldn't buy it for $50!
    December 01, 2017, 07:33:29 PM
  • Agent C: See, been that long, forgot it tells who is saying what! :P
    December 01, 2017, 07:31:55 PM
  • Agent C: Agent C, checking in after a long time. Hope everyone is doing well. I'm still around.
    December 01, 2017, 07:30:57 PM
  • JoomX: 33rd?  Wow...
    December 01, 2017, 11:42:04 AM
  • TopStarRacer: Happy 33rd Birthday Excitebike, the one that started it all!
    November 30, 2017, 11:32:16 AM

Author Topic: EB Memorial and Next Steps  (Read 3096 times)

Offline Dynam0

• View Profile
EB Memorial and Next Steps
« on: May 21, 2014, 10:53:12 AM »
Well, here I go trying to be constructive. This is a community after all, and like any community, it's hard to just walk away from even a minor tragedy like this without paying some respect and moving on.

Let me toss out an initial idea, which I admit I haven't completely thought through.

How about a C3 voice chat event, the purpose of which would be initially to share a few stories or memories about ExciteBots? A way of verbalizing some of what has been shared here in the past few days and without (ironically) the distraction of the racing itself?

At this meeting, or more likely, a second meeting, could be brainstormed ideas for the future, including, but not limited to: 1) the future of this forum, 2) the future of WiiU online racing amongst "former" EB online racers (e.g. MarioKart8? Sonic/Sega?), 3) if not online racing, what other options? 4) what about the homebrewed Wii EB server idea, how likely is it?

Anyway, all ideas welcome, or feel free to shoot down mine.

Offline DarkDog

• Love the whole Dark thing!
    • View Profile
Re: EB Memorial and Next Steps
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2014, 11:26:41 AM »
       Sounds like a good idea. I don't have c3, and when I tried to go online in my computer got a virus  so once my computer is fixed then for sure. I'll try downloading it again... you  know, I was thinking the same thing. Just didn't feel like throwing it out there. So as long as others think it's good... I'll be there  :P

Offline JoomX

• I Am The
  • Administrator
  • TGC Junkie
  • It's all about the game...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2014, 12:48:30 PM »
Really nice idea, Dyn...
A computer once beat me at chess, but as it turns out it was no match for me at kickboxing... ;)

Offline Agent C

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2014, 02:15:51 PM »
That sounds like a great idea DynamO, just let me know a date and time. The community can't die just because a game died. If that's true, we were not a "community" to begin with. :-X  :-\

Offline FLASH

• FC: 0648-3542-8677
  • TGC Junkie
  • Fastest Man Alive
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2014, 04:57:15 PM »
That sounds like a great idea DynamO, just let me know a date and time. The community can't die just because a game died. If that's true, we were not a "community" to begin with. :-X  :-\
Preach

Offline TopStarRacer

• Excite Win Junkie
  • TGC Junkie
  • Race on!
    • View Profile
    • TopStarRacer's YouTube Channel
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2014, 07:08:40 PM »
There are plenty of communities based around a single game more so a series/franchise. To not call this one is blasphemy in my opinion.

I don't have plans on getting a Wii U anytime soon. I am interested in the post-Nintendo server project in the works though. The only disadvantages I see regarding that would be the lack of new players (who would mod their Wii to play online for a game they have never played?) and a lack of players in general. We are the online and unless most of us plan on jumping aboard the new server, it wouldn't be all that fun...

Offline FLASH

• FC: 0648-3542-8677
  • TGC Junkie
  • Fastest Man Alive
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2014, 10:56:39 PM »
I am interested in the post-Nintendo server project in the works though. The only disadvantages I see regarding that would be the lack of new players (who would mod their Wii to play online for a game they have never played?) and a lack of players in general. We are the online and unless most of us plan on jumping aboard the new server, it wouldn't be all that fun...
We can either get the word out, seeing as many people are pretty upset with Nintendo and are looking for any source of online gaming they can get, or we can set up regular meetings to race...

So which is harder?

Offline TopStarRacer

• Excite Win Junkie
  • TGC Junkie
  • Race on!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2014, 01:30:00 AM »
We can either get the word out, seeing as many people are pretty upset with Nintendo and are looking for any source of online gaming they can get, or we can set up regular meetings to race...

So which is harder?

I'd say setting up regular get-togethers would be the easiest. It's just a matter of how many of us would commit to connecting to the new server.

Offline Dynam0

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2014, 10:37:58 AM »
Under the circumstances (described elsewhere), chatting about next steps would probably be premature and unproductive. However, I'm still happy to have a chat session so participants can commemorate the death of "official" online play.

For those who would like to participate but are unfamiliar with C3, the download site is at http://www.downloadc3.com/. I believe there are several ExciteBots channels, but others can correct me and or provide more information.

When? When else, Friday night around 11:00 EST, May 30 (I think May 23 is too soon, and falls on a long weekend).

Offline Agent C

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2014, 08:50:52 PM »
There are plenty of communities based around a single game more so a series/franchise. To not call this one is blasphemy in my opinion.

I don't have plans on getting a Wii U anytime soon. I am interested in the post-Nintendo server project in the works though. The only disadvantages I see regarding that would be the lack of new players (who would mod their Wii to play online for a game they have never played?) and a lack of players in general. We are the online and unless most of us plan on jumping aboard the new server, it wouldn't be all that fun...

I agree with what you said TopStar. However, if this place was called www.ebtr.com, I could see that. It's the game community though. I know it's mostly always been about excitebots but also a little GoldenEye, SSBB, and Mario Kart. I don't plan on getting a Wii U soon either but before the year is over maybe.

The new server thing is interesting but these are my reasons why I don't think it will work out.

1. Like you said no one other than from this site would probably play and I don't think everybody from here will.
2. That would mean a room for example of BIG, Top, Cody, Flash, Joom and BTC. Who would feel comfortable betting in that room? A ZLP would be out of the question and even a 9's profile would likely get a lot of losses.
3. No rookies for buffers in the room.
4. How many people truly would be willing to modify their Wii? I'm with theJude, it would have to be a cheap used Wii for me to do it.
5. On this new server, would there be glitches that would make you lose a bet?
6. I don't think anyone put their friend codes in and that would mean everybody would start from scratch. We all worked hard for our wins and bets won.

I'm still willing to possibly do it if a lot of people participate, even if it's just a few tourneys or Fwals here and there. You know I love this game. I respect your opinion and everyone else. I believe that in the end, if we don't switch to another game, the community will die. :( I would hate for that to happen.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2014, 08:57:22 PM by Agent C »

Offline Agent C

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2014, 08:56:35 PM »
Under the circumstances (described elsewhere), chatting about next steps would probably be premature and unproductive. However, I'm still happy to have a chat session so participants can commemorate the death of "official" online play.

For those who would like to participate but are unfamiliar with C3, the download site is at http://www.downloadc3.com/. I believe there are several ExciteBots channels, but others can correct me and or provide more information.

When? When else, Friday night around 11:00 EST, May 30 (I think May 23 is too soon, and falls on a long weekend).

I will try my best to be there DynamO! :) I don't think it will hurt to brainstorm a little and get the ball rolling.

Offline JoomX

• I Am The
  • Administrator
  • TGC Junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 22, 2014, 09:04:18 PM »
I will try my best to be there DynamO! :) I don't think it will hurt to brainstorm a little and get the ball rolling.

Yup, I'll be in there too...
A computer once beat me at chess, but as it turns out it was no match for me at kickboxing... ;)

Offline CodyRs

• TGC Junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 22, 2014, 09:10:39 PM »
We could all buy the Wii U and go at on Mario Kart 8. I'm just kidding I don't want to buy another Nintendo system for shutting the wifi for the best game in the world...Maybe down the road I'll buy one eventually and if someone here would want to play it as well. But if not then my wii is destroyed. IF the new server doesn't work though.  :-X
My CodyRs profile is retired! 9,215 Excite Wins and 225 poker wins!

Offline XcitPup

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 23, 2014, 11:50:41 AM »
FREDDY and I would love to be in on the chat - but we will be in Alaska next Friday.  Maybe you can give us a recap of what you guys "chat" about. Very interested in next steps - I am not holding out much hope for the alternate servers, but I am willing to mod my wii if it works out.

Offline RATROD

• CRASHER/RACER
  • You have located the RAT
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 23, 2014, 02:41:14 PM »
FREDDY and I would love to be in on the chat - but we will be in Alaska next Friday.  Maybe you can give us a recap of what you guys "chat" about. Very interested in next steps - I am not holding out much hope for the alternate servers, but I am willing to mod my wii if it works out.
Enjoy it that's one of my favorite places but I never get to tour I only get to work but it's still a beautiful state,I to will be headed back in three weeks. ;D
RATROD THE OTHER HOTROD :P  :o  :P

Offline bots101

• smash-bash-crash
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 23, 2014, 06:03:21 PM »
Let's face it.  The only cure for our loss is the unveiling of the next Excite game for Wii U.  And when that day comes I will be seriously considering that purchase.  I think back on the last 5 years of EB and everything  that came out of it.  Mainly the fun and friendship.  The money spent gave me years of enjoyment. It was worth every cent. 

So right now I look at this as a hiatus for us all.  And maybe someday soon we'll get together on all new tracks.

Let's just hope a new excite is in the works.

Play to the room.

Offline JoomX

• I Am The
  • Administrator
  • TGC Junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 25, 2014, 02:45:07 PM »
Wasn't able to play much the last 2-3 weeks before the servers went down, and still haven't had much spare time.

But, a couple nights this week I caught myself starting to head back to check online, and then remembered it wasn't there.

Today it seemed to really hit.  Hour or two to kill this afternoon, and caught myself thinking about racing.  But can't.  All over.  I tried a couple offline races, but it just isn't any fun.  Pretty sad day.  Just a game, but I miss it...

Offline theJudeAbides

• The Most Interesting Jerk on the Internet
  • I'm theJude, deal with it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 27, 2014, 05:55:31 AM »
Lol, we're all just a bunch of junkies, trying to figure out how to get our next fix now that our dealer's been busted... :'( :( >:(

We all need rehab. :o :P

Sorry I missed the chat (if it actually happened).  I didn't check this thread before so I didn't know what it was about.  I'll keep an eye on it now in case we decide to do it again.  I think as long as we all just keep checking the site and posting, the community will live on.
I don't always play videogames, but when I do, I prefer Excitebots.  Keep spinning, my friends.  8)
theJude's Backloggery

Offline JoomX

• I Am The
  • Administrator
  • TGC Junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 27, 2014, 09:22:39 AM »
Sorry I missed the chat (if it actually happened).  I didn't check this thread before so I didn't know what it was about.  I'll keep an eye on it now in case we decide to do it again.  I think as long as we all just keep checking the site and posting, the community will live on.

That was last Friday?  I thought it was this coming Friday...  ???

Offline Dynam0

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 27, 2014, 01:10:41 PM »
May 30 at 11 on C3 for anyone who wants to pay respects.

Offline JoomX

• I Am The
  • Administrator
  • TGC Junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 27, 2014, 08:31:30 PM »
Thanks, Dyn, see you there...

Offline JoomX

• I Am The
  • Administrator
  • TGC Junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 30, 2014, 06:54:21 AM »
May 30 at 11 on C3 for anyone who wants to pay respects.

Just to make sure, that's 11PM EST tonight, right?

Offline Dynam0

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 30, 2014, 01:07:39 PM »
Yessir. Talk to some of you then.

Offline Agent C

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 30, 2014, 03:39:36 PM »
I didn't think I was going to be able to make it but my plans changed. I'll be in there around 11.

Offline JoomX

• I Am The
  • Administrator
  • TGC Junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 30, 2014, 03:46:20 PM »
I didn't think I was going to be able to make it but my plans changed. I'll be in there around 11.

Bring a good plan with you for the next steps, AC...  8)  :P

Offline theJudeAbides

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 30, 2014, 04:19:39 PM »
That's 10 PM CST, right?

I can actually be there, since I got a Friday off for the first time since forever (seriously, I can't even remember the last time they gave us a Friday off).

I'm going to be picking up Mario Kart 8 today, so I'll try to play enough to give you guys some impressions... DynamO, you still need to friend me on the Wii U.
I don't always play videogames, but when I do, I prefer Excitebots.  Keep spinning, my friends.  8)
theJude's Backloggery

Offline Dynam0

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 30, 2014, 06:45:01 PM »
I picked up MK8 as well. Check your FRs Jude.

Too bad it's not Excite something though.

Offline Agent C

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 30, 2014, 09:10:17 PM »
Bring a good plan with you for the next steps, AC...  8)  :P

I'll try my best! :P ;D

Offline theJudeAbides

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 30, 2014, 09:40:51 PM »
I picked up MK8 as well. Check your FRs Jude.

Too bad it's not Excite something though.

Got it, DynamO... or should I say Tom Tony? :P

I just played through all the Cups on 50cc and I have to say, I'm already liking this better than the Wii version.  The AI seems to be dialed back some (although I did have a couple of races...) and a bit more fair... so far anyways.  At least, the courses where I race well, I win, and when I don't, I don't.  That seems like the way it should be.  Overall, the game seems a bit more polished, and is an absolute stunner to look at.  Haven't tried online yet, but I will soon.

I do have one question, though.  I've unlocked several "stamps," yet I can't seem to find a list of the ones I've gotten.  Where do you find these?  Is there a separate area just on the Wii U where that located (like an achievements area)?

Oh, and as for no Excite... not yet anyways.  But honestly, would you have wanted them to release another Excite game alongside Mario Kart like they did with the Wii, so that it gets completely overshadowed and barely anybody knows about it/plays it?  I'd actually rather have them wait a year or so until after the Mario Kart craze has died down and people are looking for a new racing game, and THEN release a new Excite game.  We'd end up with a lot more racers to race against and this community might actually grow.  That's truly what I hope happens, now: give it a little time, and then give us another Excite... and also a new F-Zero... that would be pretty awesome, too. :D 8)
theJude's Backloggery

Offline TopStarRacer

• Excite Win Junkie
  • TGC Junkie
  • Race on!
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 30, 2014, 10:24:11 PM »
ExciteBots came one year after Mario Kart Wii did so maybe 2015 we'll see a sequel? Of course with the financial state Nintendo appears to be in, would they really release a sequel to a game that under performed? :( Here's hoping so.

Offline JoomX

• I Am The
  • Administrator
  • TGC Junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: May 31, 2014, 01:53:41 AM »
Good chat tonight, Dyn, tJ, and AC.  Even though we lost you toward the end, AC.  Look forward to the next one...

Offline TopStarRacer

• Excite Win Junkie
  • TGC Junkie
  • Race on!
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 31, 2014, 11:56:16 PM »
We're most likely going to have to come to terms with the fact ExciteBots online will never be available again (barring something like Virtual Console). Unless someone managed to capture server data during online races (and we all know how hard it is to find a race sometimes), there's little to no chance online can be replicated. Perhaps we should've listened to that Mario_Maniac guy on GameFAQs...

All good things come to an end. I had a fun 4.5 years and I feel capable of moving on (I haven't been frequent online even with the impending shutdown) I'm thinking about picking up a Wii U with MK8 tomorrow so see you on there Dyn and Jude?

Offline theJudeAbides

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 01, 2014, 02:58:59 AM »
I'm thinking about picking up a Wii U with MK8 tomorrow so see you on there Dyn and Jude?

Do it, TopStar!  I've yet to race against dynamO, but I've done a bit of racing online and it's a lot of fun.

I'd definitely say go for the Mario Kart 8 Wii U Bundle, it's a great deal for all you get.  You'll also be able to download a free game (there's 4 to choose from) if you get it, too, so it really is the best deal available, by a long shot.
theJude's Backloggery

Offline Agent C

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 04, 2014, 09:34:33 PM »
Good chat tonight, Dyn, tJ, and AC.  Even though we lost you toward the end, AC.  Look forward to the next one...

Yes, sorry about that. I had a late night phone call and didn't make it back in time. I had a good time talking. I look forward to the next chat/brainstorm session.