Author Topic: End of November MarioKart DLC includes Excitebike Arena course  (Read 973 times)

Offline Dynam0

• View Profile
End of November MarioKart DLC includes Excitebike Arena course
« on: November 03, 2014, 10:02:12 AM »
This is kind of fun news for those who liked Excitebike World Rally. It's also good that the Excite franchise is still on the radar. There's apparently an F-Zero course as well.

Offline JoomX

• I Am The
  • Administrator
  • TGC Junkie
  • It's all about the game...
    • View Profile
Re: End of November MarioKart DLC includes Excitebike Arena course
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2014, 03:29:04 PM »
Very cool, Dyn...
A computer once beat me at chess, but as it turns out it was no match for me at kickboxing... ;)

Offline theJudeAbides

• The Most Interesting Jerk on the Internet
  • I'm theJude, deal with it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2014, 06:16:57 AM »
Very nice, indeed, Dyn.  Haven't raced in a while, but I may have to look into this when it comes out...

There's several Excite Truck/Excitebots courses that I think would make for interesting MK8 courses, too.  I think Gold Guatemala could be fun.  Would be cool if they introduced one of the weapons from Excitebots into it as well.  I think the Hammer would be a lot of fun!
I don't always play videogames, but when I do, I prefer Excitebots.  Keep spinning, my friends.  8)
theJude's Backloggery

Offline Dynam0

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2014, 10:10:48 AM »
In a way it's odd that they thought of Excitebike first but I guess it makes sense given the use of bikes in MK.

Offline TopStarRacer

• Excite Win Junkie
  • TGC Junkie
  • Race on!
    • View Profile
    • TopStarRacer's YouTube Channel
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2014, 01:35:33 AM »
MK8 DLC has really got me thinking...why doesn't Nintendo just make "Nintendo Kart"? Essentially pull a Smash Bros. but with racing. It would probably steal the thunder from Mario Kart but to be able to race with all your favorite Nintendo characters in courses based on their respected worlds would be pretty cool. I like how this DLC is going in that direction with these other game courses (Zelda, Animal Crossing, Excitebike, etc.)

Offline theJudeAbides

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2014, 04:02:50 AM »
MK8 DLC has really got me thinking...why doesn't Nintendo just make "Nintendo Kart"? Essentially pull a Smash Bros. but with racing.

I would think the main reason would be that Nintendo only has one fighting franchise (Super Smash Bros), but they have many racing franchises.  So while it's easy the mash all the characters from the various series into fighter, it's not so easy to do so with racing.  Are you going to put Captain Falcon, from the F-Zero series, on a Kart?  Put Mario and friends on F-Zero style vehicles.  Maybe they should all be on Jet Skis instead?  Or transforming robot insects?

The great thing about Nintendo's varied racing franchises is that the each do something unique and interesting.  Mario Kart is a great party racer.  F-Zero is great for the pure-speed crowd.  Excite owns it with the tricks and stunts.  Wave race is a cool slalom racer on water.  I think trying to combine all these into a single unified racing game would be a BAD idea.  I'd much rather them release new Excite, F-Zero, and Wave Race games then somehow try to shoehorn that sort of gameplay into Mario Kart, as it just wouldn't work.
I don't always play videogames, but when I do, I prefer Excitebots.  Keep spinning, my friends.  8)
theJude's Backloggery

Offline Dynam0

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2014, 10:57:10 AM »
Well, the DLC is available and it's quite fun.

Ironically, the Excitebike Arena race is the least interesting. I really like the F-Zero Mute City inspired one. More stuff at http://www.mariowiki.com/The_Legend_of_Zelda_X_Mario_Kart_8.

Offline Dynam0

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2015, 12:03:15 PM »
Hi everybody! There's 8 new races on MKWiiU, including another F Zero inspired one. Ridiculously hard..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LsEihp28BvU

Offline theJudeAbides

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2015, 09:06:22 PM »
It looks fun, but they always forget to put in the part where you're in first the entire race only to get blue-shelled just before the finish line and end up in last place... >:( :P

You know, this part:

That's always the best part, and the great thing is, there's nothing you can do about it!
« Last Edit: May 11, 2015, 09:38:05 PM by theJudeAbides »
theJude's Backloggery