TGC ShoutBox

Refresh History
  • Forum rules apply here! Only members can Shout.
  • TopStarRacer: Happy birthday BTC! :D
    January 10, 2018, 03:48:28 AM
  • JoomX: Got a birthday coming up, eh BTC?  Make it a good one...  :)
    January 06, 2018, 04:58:58 PM
  • JoomX: Well, it's 2018.  9 years old and EB is still the best racing game on the planet...
    January 01, 2018, 04:20:18 PM
  • JoomX: Back at ya, Top.  Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to all.  And yes, EB 2018 would be the best Christmas gift...
    December 24, 2017, 05:14:14 PM
  • TopStarRacer: Merry Christmas and Happy New Year everyone! Here's hoping a new EB comes out in 2018! We can dream right?
    December 24, 2017, 12:07:19 AM
  • JoomX: Wow, four members here today.  It's a revival...  ;D
    December 13, 2017, 11:20:09 PM
  • theJudeAbides: Just need Snooog and Big Air to come back... and for theJude to go away. :D :P
    December 13, 2017, 05:59:08 AM
  • FLASH: Not at all! That's not even the comic book Barry Allen, but I'm ok with Ezra Miller as the Flash. Superman is more my speed these days  8)
    December 10, 2017, 10:17:37 AM
  • TopStarRacer: Hey FLASH! I saw Justice League the other day. How much do you relate to FLASH? :P
    December 08, 2017, 08:45:44 PM
  • JoomX: Good to see you too, Flash.  Too bad we don't have a good game we could all get into and hang out more often...
    December 08, 2017, 01:51:51 PM
  • FLASH: Long time no see Agent C! Good to see you around! BTC wished me a Happy Thanksgiving a few weeks ago so I figured I'd check in and see what's up. Hope you all are doing well!
    December 08, 2017, 01:33:09 PM
  • JoomX: Yes it would, Top.  Miss chatting with the old crew, including Dynamo.  And hey there, Agent C, good to see you...  :)
    December 04, 2017, 12:45:57 PM
  • TopStarRacer: Now if only BIG AIR and Snooog could pop in...be nice to hear from those old farts.
    December 02, 2017, 01:14:34 AM
  • TopStarRacer: The legend himself, how is the ol' AC?  Miss racing and chatting with you!
    December 02, 2017, 01:13:34 AM
  • Agent C: ;D
    December 01, 2017, 07:33:59 PM
  • Agent C: Oh, and Nintendo Switch sucks, wouldn't buy it for $50!
    December 01, 2017, 07:33:29 PM
  • Agent C: See, been that long, forgot it tells who is saying what! :P
    December 01, 2017, 07:31:55 PM
  • Agent C: Agent C, checking in after a long time. Hope everyone is doing well. I'm still around.
    December 01, 2017, 07:30:57 PM
  • JoomX: 33rd?  Wow...
    December 01, 2017, 11:42:04 AM
  • TopStarRacer: Happy 33rd Birthday Excitebike, the one that started it all!
    November 30, 2017, 11:32:16 AM

Author Topic: Toxikk  (Read 961 times)

Offline theJudeAbides

• The Most Interesting Jerk on the Internet
  • I'm theJude, deal with it.
    • View Profile
Toxikk
« on: February 11, 2015, 07:22:45 AM »
So, many of you have probably been hearing Joom and I talk about this game, so I thought I'd make an "official" thread for discussion.  For those of you unaware, here is a link to the website.  There's a lot of good information and videos there, so head on over and take a look.  I'll wait...

OK, now that you're mostly up to speed on what it actually is, I'll give a little more information.  Currently, the game is in beta and is a bit rough, but still fun.  They're working on a lot of things and making changes regularly.  Initially, the weapon balance was pretty wack (the Cerberus, the rocket launcher, was super OP), but they've made a few changes and tweaks to help balance things out, although they're still working on it in general.  Also, there's only one map available, but they're planning on releasing a new map within the week, and it's going to be a larger sized one, so I'm looking forward to that.

Now, I'll understand if some of you are hesitant to jump in on an unfinished game.  However, I think Joom was right: Getting in on the ground floor is the way to go.  Being able to learn the game alongside everyone else is very helpful and much more fun as opposed to trying to jump in in 2-3 years time when everyone will just own you while you're trying to learn.  It'd be like those who got into Excitebots 2-3 years late: they had a long, uphill battle to become even remotely competitive with the best players.

However, if you think you'll wait until the full release, I'll understand.  The game is a bit rough right now, and essentially being a beta tester can be a bit trying at times.  But on the other hand, you can let your voice be heard, and the developers DO actually listen.  It's refreshing to see the devs on the boards, responding to posters.  And even more refreshing: when they release updates, the changes they make correlate to what people are talking/complaining about.  As mentioned, when they first released the beta, everyone and their mother was complaining about how OP the rocket launcher was, and, within almost a week, they released and update with numerous fixes, but chief among them (particularly gameplay-wise) were changes to the rocket launcher which was a clear step in the right direction.

So why not jump in and give it a shot?  It's a lot of fun! :D

Oh, and Joom: This Saturday Night: You + Me = Shooting.  Capiche? ;D :P
I don't always play videogames, but when I do, I prefer Excitebots.  Keep spinning, my friends.  8)
theJude's Backloggery

Offline JoomX

• I Am The
  • Administrator
  • TGC Junkie
  • It's all about the game...
    • View Profile
Re: Toxikk
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2015, 07:46:10 AM »
Capiche.

Nice writeup, tJ.  I need to get at that game machine this week so it's ready for the weekend.  Needs some serious cleanup.

But yeah, I wish more people from here could get into Toxxik.  An arena FPS is not conducive to drinking coffee and snacking while playing, but it's worth waiting till between rounds.

And I'm looking forward to seeing what the next update does in a couple days...
A computer once beat me at chess, but as it turns out it was no match for me at kickboxing... ;)

Offline theJudeAbides

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2015, 03:13:33 AM »
So, downloaded the updates last night and played a couple rounds against bots just to try them.  I gotta say, they're definitely moving in the right direction and things seem much more balanced now (although they could probably make it even better).  Now when I die, it usually doesn't seem unfair as it's usually because I missed my shots while my opponent made theres.  Dang, now when I suck, I can't even blame the OP weapons anymore! :( :'( ::)

So Joom, how does 8 PM (central) tomorrow night strike you?  I'm somewhat flexible on this (especially if you want to go later), so let me know.  I'll try to jump into C3 around that time.
I don't always play videogames, but when I do, I prefer Excitebots.  Keep spinning, my friends.  8)
theJude's Backloggery

Offline JoomX

• I Am The
  • Administrator
  • TGC Junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2015, 07:47:24 AM »
If by 'tomorrow night' you mean Sunday night, I might be able to make that tJ.  Been trying to clean up the game PC, but seem to have some drive corruption on it that I'm trying to get resolved.  I had a ton of work crap on it, and it looks like some sectors finally gave up.  Should be able to get it, though.

Now I just have to find my C3 login again...  ???
A computer once beat me at chess, but as it turns out it was no match for me at kickboxing... ;)

Offline theJudeAbides

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2015, 06:24:33 PM »
Well, I had meant today (Saturday), but if Sunday works better for you, we can try that instead.
theJude's Backloggery

Offline JoomX

• I Am The
  • Administrator
  • TGC Junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2015, 09:54:11 AM »
Not sure about tonight, tJ.  Sitting here looking at a BSOD right now on that system...  >:(

Offline theJudeAbides

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2015, 08:59:41 PM »
Ouch.  Alright Joom, we can try next week.  If your computer keeps giving you trouble, just challenge it to a round of kickboxing.  That'll teach it. :o :P ;D
theJude's Backloggery

Offline JoomX

• I Am The
  • Administrator
  • TGC Junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2015, 03:46:47 PM »
Okay, lots of life stuff getting in the way again the last couple weeks.  But, I did 3 full reinstalls of Windows on the game machine.  Installs went okay, but kept having problems during the updates.  Crashing.  Finally figured out the drive was going bad.

Ordered a new one, got it in yesterday, and did a fresh install on that.  2.3gb of updates (and 9 hours) later, and it looks like it's going to work.  Just finished downloading and installing Steam, and then another 3.5 hours to download Toxxik.  Tried it once for about 3 minutes with a bot, and I think it's going to be okay.

Now I have to get that computer back into the game room.  Right now I have it in the office on my KVM with 4 other computers, and only one of the monitors hooked up to it.  Almost impossible to actually play this way.  Should be able to get it back in the game room by tomorrow, but at least the system seems to be stable and I can check out Toxxik for the first time.  Ummmmm..........yay?

Toxxik looks as good as it sounded from everyone else.  I suck, kept getting toasted by the bots, but it's fun.  I'm going to check out online after I grab another coffee, just to see how that goes.  Then try to actually play sometime tomorrow.

I'd rather be using my new work computer, but this one should handle it pretty well.  Almost ready, tJ... ;)

Offline theJudeAbides

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2015, 07:28:54 AM »
Sounds good, Joom.  Yeah, harddrive failures sometimes have odd ways of manifesting themselves.  Sounds similar to something I encountered once while trying to re-install Windows on my mom's machine, which had been having troubles.  The install would get about 2/3 - 3/4 done and then freeze.  After having this happen several times, I looked it up and a lot of people were saying it might be a bad harddrive.  Swapped it out for an extra one I had laying around and sure enough, everything installed and updated without a problem.

Anyways, haven't been playing Toxxik much lately, so it's not like I'm "uber-1337" or anything like that.  Haven't even downloaded the latest updates or tried out the new map yet.  I can beat the easier comps, but the good ones spank me pretty good.

Maybe for our first outing, you and I should team up against some bots and see what we can do.  If you want to try to go tomorrow/today (Saturday), give me a shout.  I'll try to check the shoutbox tonight.
theJude's Backloggery

Offline JoomX

• I Am The
  • Administrator
  • TGC Junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2015, 09:17:11 AM »
Sounds good, tJ, we'll see what we can set up.

I got into an online room for about 5 minutes, and was somehow lucky enough to get two kills (they were preoccupied), but head to head I was down before I could get more than 1 or 2 wild rounds off.  Those guys are good.

On the other hand, the bots spanked me pretty good too.  But it's still fun to be in there shooting.  I haven't moved the machine back to the game room yet, probably won't get to today, but I can kinda/sorta play here for a test run.  Got about 3 inches of mouse space, and the keyboard is really close, but it will work for us to try a few things.  I'll check back later to see what's happening.

And I did get C3 installed, but haven't plugged in a headset yet to test audio.  I'll do that a little later...

Offline theJudeAbides

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2015, 07:16:41 AM »
Just a bit of an update for you guys.  I haven't been playing this a lot, but I did recently download all the updates and things are definitely looking better.  There are now 4 maps to play on with 2 modes (one map is a capture-the-flag style map while the other 3 are standard deathmatch/team-deathmatch maps).  Additionally, they've tweaked the weapon balance a fair amount and is much better now.  There's still some room for improvement, but it was MUCH better now than it was initially.

And Joom?  I'm still waiting to run some matches with you.  Hit me up if you're interested in doing some shooting this weekend.
theJude's Backloggery

Offline theJudeAbides

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 11, 2015, 09:37:58 AM »
Just saw on Facebook that they're having a  really good sale on Toxikk for the next couple days.  If you're at all interested in this game, I suggest you take a look at it, as this is a really good deal.  $12 for a solid shooter that just keeps getting better?!?  What are you waiting for?!?
theJude's Backloggery

Offline theJudeAbides

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 23, 2016, 05:56:03 PM »
Digging this up again because, after being away from the game for many months, a video popped up in my Facebook about a bunch of the recent changes.  So I decided to update my game and check it out again.  They've been busy and I'd actually missed several updates.  They've introduced 2-3 new maps, 1-2 new game modes, and balanced the weapons perfectly (IMO).  Booting it up to play with some bots, I was able to have a lot of fun and no longer did I feel like I was dieing cheap deaths.  When I died, it was usually my fault for having bad aim or using bad tactics, instead of just being one-shotted when I spawned in.

Also, they've released they're SDKK, which allows you to make your own maps.  Had a bit of an issue getting it to work last night (I installed it to the wrong directory), but was able to get it working before I went to bed.  I'll try to spend a bit more time soon.

The devs have stated that they're getting really close to the full release, and from what I've seen, I believe it.  They main thing they need to do now is just create some more maps to play on, but balance-wise the game is spot on.
theJude's Backloggery