TGC ShoutBox

Refresh History
  • Forum rules apply here! Only members can Shout.
  • TopStarRacer: Happy birthday BTC! :D
    January 10, 2018, 03:48:28 AM
  • JoomX: Got a birthday coming up, eh BTC?  Make it a good one...  :)
    January 06, 2018, 04:58:58 PM
  • JoomX: Well, it's 2018.  9 years old and EB is still the best racing game on the planet...
    January 01, 2018, 04:20:18 PM
  • JoomX: Back at ya, Top.  Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to all.  And yes, EB 2018 would be the best Christmas gift...
    December 24, 2017, 05:14:14 PM
  • TopStarRacer: Merry Christmas and Happy New Year everyone! Here's hoping a new EB comes out in 2018! We can dream right?
    December 24, 2017, 12:07:19 AM
  • JoomX: Wow, four members here today.  It's a revival...  ;D
    December 13, 2017, 11:20:09 PM
  • theJudeAbides: Just need Snooog and Big Air to come back... and for theJude to go away. :D :P
    December 13, 2017, 05:59:08 AM
  • FLASH: Not at all! That's not even the comic book Barry Allen, but I'm ok with Ezra Miller as the Flash. Superman is more my speed these days  8)
    December 10, 2017, 10:17:37 AM
  • TopStarRacer: Hey FLASH! I saw Justice League the other day. How much do you relate to FLASH? :P
    December 08, 2017, 08:45:44 PM
  • JoomX: Good to see you too, Flash.  Too bad we don't have a good game we could all get into and hang out more often...
    December 08, 2017, 01:51:51 PM
  • FLASH: Long time no see Agent C! Good to see you around! BTC wished me a Happy Thanksgiving a few weeks ago so I figured I'd check in and see what's up. Hope you all are doing well!
    December 08, 2017, 01:33:09 PM
  • JoomX: Yes it would, Top.  Miss chatting with the old crew, including Dynamo.  And hey there, Agent C, good to see you...  :)
    December 04, 2017, 12:45:57 PM
  • TopStarRacer: Now if only BIG AIR and Snooog could pop in...be nice to hear from those old farts.
    December 02, 2017, 01:14:34 AM
  • TopStarRacer: The legend himself, how is the ol' AC?  Miss racing and chatting with you!
    December 02, 2017, 01:13:34 AM
  • Agent C: ;D
    December 01, 2017, 07:33:59 PM
  • Agent C: Oh, and Nintendo Switch sucks, wouldn't buy it for $50!
    December 01, 2017, 07:33:29 PM
  • Agent C: See, been that long, forgot it tells who is saying what! :P
    December 01, 2017, 07:31:55 PM
  • Agent C: Agent C, checking in after a long time. Hope everyone is doing well. I'm still around.
    December 01, 2017, 07:30:57 PM
  • JoomX: 33rd?  Wow...
    December 01, 2017, 11:42:04 AM
  • TopStarRacer: Happy 33rd Birthday Excitebike, the one that started it all!
    November 30, 2017, 11:32:16 AM

Author Topic: Still looking for racers...  (Read 877 times)

Offline JoomX

• I Am The
  • Administrator
  • TGC Junkie
  • It's all about the game...
    • View Profile
Still looking for racers...
« on: February 27, 2015, 06:08:17 PM »
Getting into Toxxik just to be back in the FPS thing, but I'm still looking for racers.  I was just browsing through Steam and came across a cool looking little game call "Toybox Turbos".

Way back in the day I used to play a little racer called Re-Volt (see video below).  Loved that game, and this game reminds me a little of that.  So I think I'm going to get it.  The downside is that the multiplayer only allows up to 4 players, but that's not bad.

Re-Volt:

Anyway, I think I'm going to pick this one up (Toybox Turbos) to get back into a little online racing again...

Toybox Turbos:
http://www.toyboxturbos.com/us/home
« Last Edit: February 27, 2015, 06:25:49 PM by JoomX »
A computer once beat me at chess, but as it turns out it was no match for me at kickboxing... ;)

Offline JoomX

• I Am The
  • Administrator
  • TGC Junkie
    • View Profile
Re: Still looking for racers...
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2015, 07:05:00 PM »
Well, tried it.  Definitely not a thing...  >:(
A computer once beat me at chess, but as it turns out it was no match for me at kickboxing... ;)

Offline theJudeAbides

• The Most Interesting Jerk on the Internet
  • I'm theJude, deal with it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2015, 08:34:24 AM »
Hmm, that Re-Volt review got me thinking back to my N64 days, and a racer I really enjoyed on that system called "Beetle Adventure Racing."  I tried to find a good/entertaining review on Youtube like the one you posted, but came up dry.  Nonetheless, you can probably find one that gives you the basic info on it.

The thing I really liked about it is, for the tracks, instead of focusing on having a lot of simplistic, boring tracks, they instead focused on having just a few tracks which were incredibly complex.  There are only 6 tracks in the game, but on each one, each lap takes several minutes to complete, and there's a ton of shortcuts and alternate routes to take.  Additionally, there are boxes all over the place, some easy to spot, others very well hidden.  There are boxes with numbers on them, and if you collect all 100 points (and there is exactly 100 points on each track), you'll unlock a new arena in multiplayer.  Additionally, each track has 3 flower boxes which are VERY well hidden and will take quite a bit of exploration to find.  These unlock new "cheats" which allow you to do some really fun and cool stuff.

For multiplayer, you can race the tracks in two player mode, which can be fun.  There's also a Battle Arena mode where you run around trying to collect differently colored beetles while your opponent does the same.  There are weapons and power-ups to help you out.  Unfortunately, I never really had anybody to play this with when I was younger, but I think this would be quite a bit of fun if you had two similarly skilled players.

Yes, I could mention that the graphics are some of the best on the N64 and the sound/music is also quite great.  But to me, it was always the track design and exploration that kept this game interesting.  Even Excitebots tracks, as fun and complex as some of them were, couldn't hold a candle to these tracks.  I suppose that is, to a degree, what attracted me to Excitebots in the first place, though.  To me, tracks with one basic line and little variation are boring.  I like to explore around and try new and different things out.

So yeah, if you're looking for a bit of classic fun and don't mind picking up an old N64 (they can still be found quite cheaply), give it a try.  I promise you'll have some fun with it.
I don't always play videogames, but when I do, I prefer Excitebots.  Keep spinning, my friends.  8)
theJude's Backloggery

Offline JoomX

• I Am The
  • Administrator
  • TGC Junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2015, 09:09:08 AM »
Yup, for a lot of people it's all about graphics, but to me it's all about gameplay and fun factor.  Sure, great graphics are cool to look at, but it's not a major factor for me.

Lots of the older games (90's - early 2000's) were more fun than quite a few of the current game stock...

Offline Dynam0

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2015, 10:38:32 AM »
Hey guys, how's it going?

Every once in a while, they put a new racer in the Nintendo EShop that looks like it has potential, but there's never any online multiplayer component. It's just not enough to post your scores online.

I have been playing quite a few tablet games lately, but not racers.

Having said that, I am becoming pretty proficient at MKWiiU so if anybody wants to take me on....

Offline JoomX

• I Am The
  • Administrator
  • TGC Junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2015, 11:08:02 AM »
Hey Dyn, good to see you.  Wish I could get in on that, but still no WiiU.  :(

I've found a couple other decent looking racers on Steam browsing through the selections, with some components similar to EB (though of course not the same).  Problem is, checking them out it doesn't look like the online scene is very active for most of them.  Most of the good looking ones are a little older, like 3-4 years old.

Now that this game system seems pretty solid, I'm going to keep looking into PC based multiplayer racers...

Offline theJudeAbides

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2015, 07:02:21 AM »
I've been looking at Steam lately to see what they have on there for racing games.  I found this game, which looks really cool and interesting to me:

It's still early access, but a lot of people have been giving it really positive reviews thus far.  I'm thinking about springing for it this weekend and seeing how it goes.  Also, there's a different trailer on Steam which I think is a little better/shows more stuff, but I couldn't find it on youtube.
I don't always play videogames, but when I do, I prefer Excitebots.  Keep spinning, my friends.  8)
theJude's Backloggery

Offline theJudeAbides

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2015, 10:04:08 AM »
OK, so I picked this game up and played it a bit this weekend.  Definitely a cool game so far.  My big problem is that I'm trying to play with my keyboard, which is kind of a no-go... I need a controller, so now I'm on the hunt for a good one.  That said, this game definitely requires skill (thus my need for a more accurate/comfortable control scheme).  It's mostly about speed and avoiding crashing, but there's some cool "non-standard" stuff going on as well like flipping up onto walls.  I believe there is a stunt mode as well, although I haven't tried it out yet.

Anyways, the game is $20 on Steam which I think is pretty reasonable, especially since, despite being an "early access" game, it seems really close to complete as there's a fair bit of "official" content already available, plus quite a bit of user-made tracks as well.
theJude's Backloggery

Offline Dynam0

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2015, 12:04:07 PM »
I might have to look into this...

Offline Battletanx_Commander

• Master Chef
  • Clawing my way to victory ever boost of the way...
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2015, 12:24:23 AM »
That actually looks really cool theJude. I will have to look into this game more since it has a faint ExciteBots vibe to it with the crazy stunts and flying.
I am Truck Norris

Offline Dynam0

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 12, 2015, 10:03:55 AM »
Check this out - looks like Steam is moving to the TV..

http://store.steampowered.com/app/353380

Offline theJudeAbides

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 12, 2015, 11:12:32 AM »
Yep, Dynam0, I've known about that for some time.  Not really something I'm interested in, since I'm fine playing games on the PC.  Seems more geared towards the casual crowd... not that there's anything wrong with being casual.
theJude's Backloggery