TGC ShoutBox

Refresh History
  • Forum rules apply here! Only members can Shout.
  • TopStarRacer: Happy birthday BTC! :D
    January 10, 2018, 03:48:28 AM
  • JoomX: Got a birthday coming up, eh BTC?  Make it a good one...  :)
    January 06, 2018, 04:58:58 PM
  • JoomX: Well, it's 2018.  9 years old and EB is still the best racing game on the planet...
    January 01, 2018, 04:20:18 PM
  • JoomX: Back at ya, Top.  Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to all.  And yes, EB 2018 would be the best Christmas gift...
    December 24, 2017, 05:14:14 PM
  • TopStarRacer: Merry Christmas and Happy New Year everyone! Here's hoping a new EB comes out in 2018! We can dream right?
    December 24, 2017, 12:07:19 AM
  • JoomX: Wow, four members here today.  It's a revival...  ;D
    December 13, 2017, 11:20:09 PM
  • theJudeAbides: Just need Snooog and Big Air to come back... and for theJude to go away. :D :P
    December 13, 2017, 05:59:08 AM
  • FLASH: Not at all! That's not even the comic book Barry Allen, but I'm ok with Ezra Miller as the Flash. Superman is more my speed these days  8)
    December 10, 2017, 10:17:37 AM
  • TopStarRacer: Hey FLASH! I saw Justice League the other day. How much do you relate to FLASH? :P
    December 08, 2017, 08:45:44 PM
  • JoomX: Good to see you too, Flash.  Too bad we don't have a good game we could all get into and hang out more often...
    December 08, 2017, 01:51:51 PM
  • FLASH: Long time no see Agent C! Good to see you around! BTC wished me a Happy Thanksgiving a few weeks ago so I figured I'd check in and see what's up. Hope you all are doing well!
    December 08, 2017, 01:33:09 PM
  • JoomX: Yes it would, Top.  Miss chatting with the old crew, including Dynamo.  And hey there, Agent C, good to see you...  :)
    December 04, 2017, 12:45:57 PM
  • TopStarRacer: Now if only BIG AIR and Snooog could pop in...be nice to hear from those old farts.
    December 02, 2017, 01:14:34 AM
  • TopStarRacer: The legend himself, how is the ol' AC?  Miss racing and chatting with you!
    December 02, 2017, 01:13:34 AM
  • Agent C: ;D
    December 01, 2017, 07:33:59 PM
  • Agent C: Oh, and Nintendo Switch sucks, wouldn't buy it for $50!
    December 01, 2017, 07:33:29 PM
  • Agent C: See, been that long, forgot it tells who is saying what! :P
    December 01, 2017, 07:31:55 PM
  • Agent C: Agent C, checking in after a long time. Hope everyone is doing well. I'm still around.
    December 01, 2017, 07:30:57 PM
  • JoomX: 33rd?  Wow...
    December 01, 2017, 11:42:04 AM
  • TopStarRacer: Happy 33rd Birthday Excitebike, the one that started it all!
    November 30, 2017, 11:32:16 AM

Author Topic: Distance - Recreating the Legendary 25  (Read 783 times)

Offline Battletanx_Commander

• Master Chef
  • Clawing my way to victory ever boost of the way...
    • View Profile
Distance - Recreating the Legendary 25
« on: May 13, 2015, 12:31:15 AM »
So thanks to theJude posting that one video in the other racers thread I have been putting in hours on Distance (8 as of now and I only bought the game less than 24 hours ago). Love the game and it has a very similar feel to ExciteBots but a tad slower. The technicality in performing movements to different surfaces, tricks and flying are very in depth. Now after playing the game last night for three hours after I purchased it it dawned upon me while I was looking at what all the game had to offer. The one feature that intrigued me the most was its level editor. Ideas soon rushed in to recreated tracks from ExciteBots and I have been tinkering around with it for about 4 hours now and have come up with this very rudimentary track. It's still a very much work in progress but it's something. Let me know what you guys think.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pLcj9dzC_7M
« Last Edit: May 13, 2015, 01:36:52 PM by Battletanx_Commander »
I am Truck Norris

Offline theJudeAbides

• The Most Interesting Jerk on the Internet
  • I'm theJude, deal with it.
    • View Profile
Re: Distance - Recreating the Legendary 25
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2015, 11:35:56 PM »
Not too bad, BTC, for a first try.  I'm not really sure how much like CN that actually is, though.  Still, a solid effort thus far.

One thing I would say is try to focus on making cool/fun/challenging tracks, even if the look boring.  I see a lot of people out there making cool looking tracks that are really boring to drive on (no obstacles, only gentle curves, etc...).  What's the point in that?  That said, yours already looks fairly interesting, despite being a bit sparse.  Make a great track first, then decorate it to look cool.

Oh, and I finally got a controller and have been playing this a bit today... It's a lot better than with the keyboard.  I still suck at the wall and ceiling switches, but I'm slowly improving.

We should try to give online multiplayer a shot this weekend.  Let me know if you want to race a few.
I don't always play videogames, but when I do, I prefer Excitebots.  Keep spinning, my friends.  8)
theJude's Backloggery

Offline theJudeAbides

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2015, 01:15:48 PM »
OK, I'll admit it, you've given me the bug, BTC.  Now I'm going to try to re-create CN as well.  The first thing I did was go back and play the Excitebots in order to make an accurate map of the course (how did nobody here EVER make a map of these courses back when we were still playing it?).  Looking at it now, BTC, I think I see now what you were going for in how you created your map.  Oh, and I've spent some time with the level editor and even published a map called "Lesson Learned."  It's pretty simple but it was my first map and I learned quite a bit creating it and I've now got a lot of ideas for new maps, including how I want to make CN.

One final thing to note, BTC, I've checked out the forums for this game and a LOT of the people into this game are big into skipping.  Basically, what most of them would do is beat your map in about 18 seconds by simply jumping of the edge at the start and then flying quickly around to the finish line, thus skipping the entire map.  Now, there are ways to prevent this, and I'd suggest you look into them, but beware even with things like invisible walls and disabling flying (except in certain sections), people will still try (and likely find a way).

Like this (which, mind you, is on an official track):
I don't always play videogames, but when I do, I prefer Excitebots.  Keep spinning, my friends.  8)
theJude's Backloggery

Offline theJudeAbides

• View Profile
I done created a Yellow Bar!
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2015, 06:51:41 AM »
So, things look blank around it, but right now I'm just focused on getting the general layout down and trying out some of the ideas I have.  The first being my "implementation" of a yellow bar.  We would all use these bars (whether they be red, yellow, elevator, etc...) as a ways communicating our progress through the level, and I feel that it's important that they return, even if it's only in a stylistic manner.

So, here's my yellow bar.  I've been playing around a fair bit with angle of the curve and how tight the loop is.  It still doesn't feel quite right to me, but it's close.  I think I want to tighten up the loop a bit more.  Currently, one 90-degree section goes 75x75.  I started at 100x100, went down to 50x50, then back to 75x75.  I'm feeling like 60-65 is probably going to be about right, but dem maths!!  (OK, it's not that hard, but multiples of 25/50 are easier to deal with.)

Anyways, just thought I'd share my progress and give you some ideas. :)
theJude's Backloggery

• Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2015, 06:12:36 PM »
Yeah, I discovered the huge skipping potential with the game recently after I got into it and was wondering how people had such ridiculous times. It's crazy how some of those skips work. I just did a rough outline of the course (and haven't touched it much since due to other things) but I would make it so that you could not skip other than the ways present on the original track. The reason I went with Crystal Nebula is because it was a well known track that was long and had a variety of different approaches to it.

Also, that is a neat way to make a yellow bar although it probably would only work efficiently if it were a red bar so everyone had to take it instead of just skipping it completely.
I am Truck Norris

Offline theJudeAbides

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2015, 03:48:18 AM »
Oh, I've got an idea for how to make a red-bar as well (and there will be no avoiding it), but it'll probably be one of the last things I make.  I only work on this periodically so it's going pretty slow.

One of the first things I actually did is sit down and draw out an actual map of CN.  (How did no-one here ever think to do this for the courses back when we still played?)  It's really helpful for figuring out the general scale of things and how the curves should work.

As for the multiple routes, my general idea is this: Since we don't have point-scoring, the only thing people really care about is their time.  So my plan is there will be shorter paths which are more difficult to navigate (more obstacles, narrow paths, difficult jumps, etc...) while the longer paths are easier to navigate.  That way (especially in an online match), you'll have to choose between the easier but longer path or the shorter but more difficult path.
theJude's Backloggery

• Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2015, 07:51:33 PM »
You know there is a Speed and Style mode theJude. :P
I am Truck Norris

Offline JoomX

• I Am The
  • Administrator
  • TGC Junkie
  • It's all about the game...
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2016, 03:51:00 PM »
Anybody still playing this?
A computer once beat me at chess, but as it turns out it was no match for me at kickboxing... ;)

Offline theJudeAbides

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2016, 07:00:30 PM »
I still have it installed.  Haven't played it in a bit, but if you're interested in giving it a go, I'd be down.
theJude's Backloggery

Offline JoomX

• I Am The
  • Administrator
  • TGC Junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2016, 07:37:39 PM »
I took a look at it, TJ, but it seemed from all the videos kind of like the old SpeedRacer game.  Would that be about right?
A computer once beat me at chess, but as it turns out it was no match for me at kickboxing... ;)

Offline theJudeAbides

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2016, 01:26:24 AM »
No, it's kind of hard to describe it, but while it is a fast game, it's more parkour-ish, where you have to jump onto walls and such.  The only other game like it was it's predecessor, Nitronic Rush (which I haven't played).  I'd say it's worth checking out, as it is pretty cool.
theJude's Backloggery

Offline JoomX

• I Am The
  • Administrator
  • TGC Junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 06, 2016, 08:19:47 AM »
I'll do that...