TGC ShoutBox

Refresh History
  • Forum rules apply here! Only members can Shout.
  • TopStarRacer: Happy birthday BTC! :D
    January 10, 2018, 03:48:28 AM
  • JoomX: Got a birthday coming up, eh BTC?  Make it a good one...  :)
    January 06, 2018, 04:58:58 PM
  • JoomX: Well, it's 2018.  9 years old and EB is still the best racing game on the planet...
    January 01, 2018, 04:20:18 PM
  • JoomX: Back at ya, Top.  Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to all.  And yes, EB 2018 would be the best Christmas gift...
    December 24, 2017, 05:14:14 PM
  • TopStarRacer: Merry Christmas and Happy New Year everyone! Here's hoping a new EB comes out in 2018! We can dream right?
    December 24, 2017, 12:07:19 AM
  • JoomX: Wow, four members here today.  It's a revival...  ;D
    December 13, 2017, 11:20:09 PM
  • theJudeAbides: Just need Snooog and Big Air to come back... and for theJude to go away. :D :P
    December 13, 2017, 05:59:08 AM
  • FLASH: Not at all! That's not even the comic book Barry Allen, but I'm ok with Ezra Miller as the Flash. Superman is more my speed these days  8)
    December 10, 2017, 10:17:37 AM
  • TopStarRacer: Hey FLASH! I saw Justice League the other day. How much do you relate to FLASH? :P
    December 08, 2017, 08:45:44 PM
  • JoomX: Good to see you too, Flash.  Too bad we don't have a good game we could all get into and hang out more often...
    December 08, 2017, 01:51:51 PM
  • FLASH: Long time no see Agent C! Good to see you around! BTC wished me a Happy Thanksgiving a few weeks ago so I figured I'd check in and see what's up. Hope you all are doing well!
    December 08, 2017, 01:33:09 PM
  • JoomX: Yes it would, Top.  Miss chatting with the old crew, including Dynamo.  And hey there, Agent C, good to see you...  :)
    December 04, 2017, 12:45:57 PM
  • TopStarRacer: Now if only BIG AIR and Snooog could pop in...be nice to hear from those old farts.
    December 02, 2017, 01:14:34 AM
  • TopStarRacer: The legend himself, how is the ol' AC?  Miss racing and chatting with you!
    December 02, 2017, 01:13:34 AM
  • Agent C: ;D
    December 01, 2017, 07:33:59 PM
  • Agent C: Oh, and Nintendo Switch sucks, wouldn't buy it for $50!
    December 01, 2017, 07:33:29 PM
  • Agent C: See, been that long, forgot it tells who is saying what! :P
    December 01, 2017, 07:31:55 PM
  • Agent C: Agent C, checking in after a long time. Hope everyone is doing well. I'm still around.
    December 01, 2017, 07:30:57 PM
  • JoomX: 33rd?  Wow...
    December 01, 2017, 11:42:04 AM
  • TopStarRacer: Happy 33rd Birthday Excitebike, the one that started it all!
    November 30, 2017, 11:32:16 AM

Author Topic: Banjo-Kazooie: Nuts and Bolts  (Read 152 times)

Offline Bio Rex

• E-102 y
  • Soup? Sandwich? Super Sandwich! *****
    • View Profile
Banjo-Kazooie: Nuts and Bolts
« on: February 02, 2017, 11:05:04 AM »
Ninja review!

Banjo-Kazooie: Nuts and Bolts!

It's been a while since I did a review so I'm not sure if I have improved with ages or just gotten rusty... we will see... So I decided to review a game that is my current re-kindled obsession and was also made after a long hiatus. Picture it, Sicily, 2000, Banjo-Tooie came out and slapped us with a teaser for a third game in the franchise. Banjo-Threeie. This was not to pass, however, as corporate bric-a-brac prevented Rare-Ware from developing the anticipated third game. (I used the word "us" but I didn't know about Banjo-Kazooie yet, so I am not included in this.) Flash forward 8? years or so, I forget the specifics, and we got Banjo-Kazooie: Nuts and Bolts. It was nothing like what was expected, and many people hate the game for this reason...

I do not.

Plot:
The plot is simple. After years of being washed up has-beens, we find our heroes: Banjo, the bear; Kazooie, the bird; and our antagonist; Gruntilda the witch, all looking rather, well, rubbish. Not that they weren't rubbish to begin with, but that is not the point. They want to settle their rivalry that has been about a decade in the making. It wasn't going to go well. Particularly for the players. So this new character, the Lord Of Games, steps in to make things interesting and to help settle the squabble. He fixes up the main characters and gives them some vehicles. At this point the average Banjo-Kazooie fan will have chucked this game into a river out of frustration due to their unrealistic expectations not being met. I digress. Banjo and Kazooie must now use vehicles to complete challenges, collect things and overall just try to outdo Gruntilda.

Gameplay:
Unlike Banjo-Kazooie and Banjo-Tooie, platforming has taken the back seat, (PUNS) and vehicles have become the driving force of the game.
You build vehicles using sort of lego blocks that easily snap together. Making a cars is as easy as a seat, four wheels, a fuel tank, and an engine. This is without a doubt the easiest vehicle builder that I  have seen yet.
The gameplay varies between the different kinds of vehicles you make, ranging from driving like a car, free-flying helicopters, all the way to a spring attached to a chair.
What are these vehicles for, aside from moving around, you may ask? Remember those challenges? That what they are for. The challenges range from simplistic to nearly taking refuge in their audacity. One minute you are doing a hurdle race using cars, (or planes) and the next minute you are competing in shot-put using a tank. And the next minute you are playing golf with a vehicle that looks like a boot except the balls are large balloons that look like sheep. AND THE NEXT MINUTE, you are trying to save an I.T. department from a literal firewall using a helicopter.
Each challenge uses a time limit or some other arbitrary progress counter to decide if you actually complete the challenge and if you win of of three possible prizes. The prizes are the same for each challenge, but this is a sort of collect-a-thon game where you want to get as many of these pointless prizes as possible in order to progress and subsequently get more parts.

Sound:
The game has great sound, boasting a high-quality soundtrack, cool smashing sounds for vehicles, and the voice acting is just grunts, squeals, snorts, burps, and everything in between. In an endearing way. The music is composed by the well-loved Grant Kirkhope, who is well known to do outstanding work, and this game is no exception. Though the songs aren't as catchy as some of his better works.

Graphics:
I always say that it is the gameplay that makes the game, it is a tradition to talk about graphics.
This game looks amazing for its time, though falls flat when it comes to menus. The worlds and characters are bursting with detail (again, for the time) but the menus just feel unpolished.
I like it overall.

Scores:
Plot: 14 / 19 acres.
Sound: Burps / Belches
Gameplay: Crash / Burn
Graphics: Menus / Scenery
Overall: An amazing vehicle builder / A good sequel.

I will likely be back soon for more reviews.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2017, 06:21:36 PM by Bio Rex »
Nice Crash! *
2ds FC: 3282-4820-2614

Offline JoomX

• I Am The
  • Administrator
  • TGC Junkie
  • It's all about the game...
    • View Profile
Re: Banjo-Kazooie: Nuts and Bolts
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2017, 04:43:38 PM »
Nice review, Bio Rex, thanks.  I'll check it out...
A computer once beat me at chess, but as it turns out it was no match for me at kickboxing... ;)