TGC ShoutBox

Refresh History
  • Forum rules apply here! Only members can Shout.
  • TopStarRacer: Happy birthday BTC! :D
    January 10, 2018, 03:48:28 AM
  • JoomX: Got a birthday coming up, eh BTC?  Make it a good one...  :)
    January 06, 2018, 04:58:58 PM
  • JoomX: Well, it's 2018.  9 years old and EB is still the best racing game on the planet...
    January 01, 2018, 04:20:18 PM
  • JoomX: Back at ya, Top.  Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to all.  And yes, EB 2018 would be the best Christmas gift...
    December 24, 2017, 05:14:14 PM
  • TopStarRacer: Merry Christmas and Happy New Year everyone! Here's hoping a new EB comes out in 2018! We can dream right?
    December 24, 2017, 12:07:19 AM
  • JoomX: Wow, four members here today.  It's a revival...  ;D
    December 13, 2017, 11:20:09 PM
  • theJudeAbides: Just need Snooog and Big Air to come back... and for theJude to go away. :D :P
    December 13, 2017, 05:59:08 AM
  • FLASH: Not at all! That's not even the comic book Barry Allen, but I'm ok with Ezra Miller as the Flash. Superman is more my speed these days  8)
    December 10, 2017, 10:17:37 AM
  • TopStarRacer: Hey FLASH! I saw Justice League the other day. How much do you relate to FLASH? :P
    December 08, 2017, 08:45:44 PM
  • JoomX: Good to see you too, Flash.  Too bad we don't have a good game we could all get into and hang out more often...
    December 08, 2017, 01:51:51 PM
  • FLASH: Long time no see Agent C! Good to see you around! BTC wished me a Happy Thanksgiving a few weeks ago so I figured I'd check in and see what's up. Hope you all are doing well!
    December 08, 2017, 01:33:09 PM
  • JoomX: Yes it would, Top.  Miss chatting with the old crew, including Dynamo.  And hey there, Agent C, good to see you...  :)
    December 04, 2017, 12:45:57 PM
  • TopStarRacer: Now if only BIG AIR and Snooog could pop in...be nice to hear from those old farts.
    December 02, 2017, 01:14:34 AM
  • TopStarRacer: The legend himself, how is the ol' AC?  Miss racing and chatting with you!
    December 02, 2017, 01:13:34 AM
  • Agent C: ;D
    December 01, 2017, 07:33:59 PM
  • Agent C: Oh, and Nintendo Switch sucks, wouldn't buy it for $50!
    December 01, 2017, 07:33:29 PM
  • Agent C: See, been that long, forgot it tells who is saying what! :P
    December 01, 2017, 07:31:55 PM
  • Agent C: Agent C, checking in after a long time. Hope everyone is doing well. I'm still around.
    December 01, 2017, 07:30:57 PM
  • JoomX: 33rd?  Wow...
    December 01, 2017, 11:42:04 AM
  • TopStarRacer: Happy 33rd Birthday Excitebike, the one that started it all!
    November 30, 2017, 11:32:16 AM

Author Topic: Still a good racing game...  (Read 3442 times)

Offline JoomX

• I Am The
  • Administrator
  • TGC Junkie
  • It's all about the game...
    • View Profile
Still a good racing game...
« on: January 19, 2011, 03:55:31 PM »
Even after playing ExciteBots a lot, I still like to go back and run Excite Truck once in a while.  Doesn't have all the added tricks and scoring potential EB has, but it's still a great racing game.

Just too bad it doesn't have online play, but maybe there will be a V2 that will add online...
A computer once beat me at chess, but as it turns out it was no match for me at kickboxing... ;)

Offline TopStarRacer

• Excite Win Junkie
  • TGC Junkie
  • Race on!
    • View Profile
    • TopStarRacer's YouTube Channel
Re: Still a good racing game...
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2011, 09:13:21 PM »
I played ET a few months ago. Forgot how to score in that game it had been so long!  :o I should pop that game in, re-learn it, and maybe see if I could set up some rankings for it. :P

Offline JoomX

• I Am The
  • Administrator
  • TGC Junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2011, 10:30:39 PM »
Rankings would be great if you could figure out how to do it.

The thing about going back to ET once in a while is that there are far less points to be had, and what there is are harder to get.  Just running on those tracks for a while seems to help when you come back to EB and have the added speed/boost/control, at least it seems to for me.  It's like running on pavement after you've run in mud for a few hours, just seems to much easier and faster...
A computer once beat me at chess, but as it turns out it was no match for me at kickboxing... ;)

Offline TopStarRacer

• Excite Win Junkie
  • TGC Junkie
  • Race on!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2011, 10:48:50 PM »
My problem was air spinning. :D ET doesn't like the way I spin the wii remote like I do in EB. :P

Offline JoomX

• I Am The
  • Administrator
  • TGC Junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2011, 11:20:05 PM »
I have the same problem when I go back to ET.  Takes me a few times to get the feel back for it.  Also have to be careful with the shorter boost times, I have a tendency to push it.

I do just plain like the feel of the trucks once in a while, though.  Feels more like the old PC racing games I used to like...

Offline TopStarRacer

• Excite Win Junkie
  • TGC Junkie
  • Race on!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2011, 12:07:13 AM »
Excite Truck was the first Wii game I recieved. I actually opened it before I opened (or knew) about the Wii. Bad mistake on Santa's part.  ;D

I never thought I'd like this game. Thought it'd be one of those games I'd never opened or opened and only played once. Never judge a game by the cover, that's what I've learned from ET and EB. ;)

Offline PJs

• Rubbing is racing!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 26, 2011, 11:08:53 AM »
Jim and i have been playing et for many years once in awile we will play all night. Jim just got a new copy and gave me his old one for xmas.
Rubbing is racing!! :P

Offline G4meking

• Game Castle
  • Rookie
  • Playing games!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2012, 09:29:40 AM »
I only say, that I hate Nintendo, because they didn't published ExciteBots in Europe.
If someone beats you......... then strike back!

Offline bots101

• smash-bash-crash
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2012, 05:57:07 PM »
Sorry to hear that GameKing.  We need to hook you up with sprocket.  He's an Aussie who has gained entry into the system.
Play to the room.

Offline JoomX

• I Am The
  • Administrator
  • TGC Junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2012, 07:04:27 PM »
Yup, all you need is an NTSC version of a Wii, and a copy of ExciteBots.  Then you can get in on some great racing / bashing / beelining / farming / crazy fun...

Offline Agent C

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2012, 03:18:45 PM »
I've been racing a bit of Excite Truck over the weekend. It's interesting to see how some of the tracks are alike compared to EB. There are a lot more POWs and even more rainy tracks. I almost unlocked Mirror Excite and all but the last 3 trucks. After racing ET, Sunday night I decided to race a few EB tracks. Boy did it help my game! :o I went from driving a Ford Pinto to a Ferrari! ;D I set 3 personal records that night. I plan on doing this again in the future and see if I get the same results but we'll see. ::) I look forward to unlocking the Monster trucks, Saguaro, Wolverine and especially Wasp since I've heard that it's the best truck. 8) The crystal road track was really fun and I like the music in it. I know it's not as good as EBTR but I had a lot of fun racing those trucks! :)

Offline TopStarRacer

• Excite Win Junkie
  • TGC Junkie
  • Race on!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 14, 2012, 10:49:21 PM »
Yep, a number of similar tracks. Bronze Mexico being one of them. It feels weird going back, seeing the dirt darker, the lack of bars....it's crazy.

That Wasp....is a killer. You'll have fun with that thing! :D It's the roach in the form of a truck. :P

Offline CodyRs

• TGC Junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 15, 2012, 12:18:20 AM »
Never played ExciteTruck/Bike etc. Just Excitebots. So you all have a little experience then me.  ;)
My CodyRs profile is retired! 9,215 Excite Wins and 225 poker wins!

Offline TopStarRacer

• Excite Win Junkie
  • TGC Junkie
  • Race on!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 31, 2012, 02:39:17 AM »
Tried the Wasp yet Agent? Get any roach feel out of it? :D

Offline Agent C

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 31, 2012, 04:27:10 PM »
Tried the Wasp yet Agent? Get any roach feel out of it? :D

No I haven't played ET in a while but I plan to unlock the Wasp this weekend and I'll let you know what I think. :)

Offline theJudeAbides

• The Most Interesting Jerk on the Internet
  • I'm theJude, deal with it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 23, 2013, 10:01:36 PM »
So, I busted out Excite Truck for the first time in ages, started a new account, and started playing.  I managed to S-Rank all the regular Excite tracks without too much undo difficulty, but that seems to have more to do with the forgiving S-rank requirements than anything.

Here are some thoughts, in no particular order, that I had as I was playing.
- Man air-spins are a lot more difficult to do and even more difficult to chain.  You have to wait until each one is finished before starting the next one.  Excitebots really streamlined this.
- Jump-comboing is more difficult as well, and even less well-defined than in Excitebots.  There was plenty of times when I figured I should have gotten a 4-5 star combo, but didn't.  Still trying to figure this out, but it seems that unless you jump IMMEDIATELY after landing another jump, it's not a combo.  Excitebots practically hands out combos by comparison.
- There's a lot more rings in this game, but that's probably because it doesn't have all of the various silly things that Excitebots does.
- Bot... er Truck Smashes seem to be much easier to get, but the comps LOVE to smack you around as well, much more so than Excitebots.  Lost track of how many times the comp beat my butt like a red-headed step-child.
- Lack of slow-down bars (yellow, elevator, red bars) makes the games play much faster.
- Bronze Mexico is pretty much identical to between Excite Truck and Excitebots, minus bonus things.
- Platinum Scotland is so much like Gold Scotland in Excitebots that I found myself trying to run the same line I do in Excitebots.
- So many other similarities exist between the tracks that to list them all would take a good while.
- Why do so many of these trucks handle like the Mantis on ice?

Had a lot of fun, and am looking forward to giving the Super Excite races a go, but man, for being so similar, these games are very different.
I don't always play videogames, but when I do, I prefer Excitebots.  Keep spinning, my friends.  8)
theJude's Backloggery

Offline Agent C

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 23, 2013, 10:17:51 PM »
I agree with all of what you said theJude. Jump combos are MUCH more difficult. There was one time today when I got what Excite Truck calls a Super Jump Combo(5 stars) and of course I was like :o. It keeps track of most stats except for air spins and combos which is interesting because that is everything score wise in Excitebots.

I got 2 more S rankings on Gold Fiji and Silver Finland and unlocked Wolverine. I thought Saguaro was better though. Only one more truck left to unlock, the Wasp! 8) I still have 5 more S rankings to unlock Mirror Mode but I'm close. ;) Gold China and Platinum Finland are hard. ???

Offline theJudeAbides

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 24, 2013, 03:27:01 AM »
Well, I finished up S-ranking all the Super Excite tracks.  And I did so while getting my 3 S-ranks for each truck that I opened up, so yeah, I was getting S-ranks with some crappy trucks.  However, at the end, I finally unlocked the Dynamo and let me tell you, it was like a fresh air.  I now know why Dynam0 named himself as such.

Some more thoughts that occured to me:
- The soundtrack on this game kind of kicks Excitebots butt.  It's pretty much metal all the way, and it makes a head-banging good time.
- I think I like the Crystal Nebula in this game better.  It's so much more... atmospheric.  And there's some cool things going on in this course, like the tornado ripping up the road on the second lap.
- Man I miss my Roach.  Cripes, I could be getting 300+ on most of these courses with the bots and controls from Excitebots.  Too bad they didn't offer the old courses as unlockables in Excitebots. :(
- I'm actually discovering some new stuff (at least I think I am) like tree runs.  I know I'm still missing out on a fair number of things and not running optimally, so it'll be interesting to see what I can do once I open up all the Trucks and can really hunker down with each course.  I'm pretty sure 2-3x the S-rank scores are possible on most courses.
- I found some high scores on another site.  I don't think it would be too hard for this community to come together to crush those scores. :D

I'll probably tackle Mirror tomorrow.  Oh, and Challenge Mode: completed the regular, S-ranked all but 2 of the Supers.  I get the feeling that the second Gate challenge is going to make me it's B$%@h.  I managed to get through without missing a single one in a pretty good time and was still 8 short.
I don't always play videogames, but when I do, I prefer Excitebots.  Keep spinning, my friends.  8)
theJude's Backloggery

Offline TopStarRacer

• Excite Win Junkie
  • TGC Junkie
  • Race on!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 24, 2013, 03:40:17 AM »
I think I deleted my original ET account too now that I think about it. (What was with my young teenage mentality deleting my completed game data???)

I'll make it my mission tomorrow to pull this game out again. The last couple times I just quit because I couldn't get a grip on controlling the trucks I was using. >:(

As far as classic tracks...Bronze Mexico is as close it gets.

Offline theJudeAbides

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 24, 2013, 04:08:20 AM »
As far as classic tracks...Bronze Mexico is as close it gets.

Tell me about it.  Add a red bar and it's the same friggen course!!
theJude's Backloggery

Offline TopStarRacer

• Excite Win Junkie
  • TGC Junkie
  • Race on!
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 24, 2013, 05:52:11 PM »
Classic courses? Holy crap! I pulled out ET and actually played through it for the first time since before Ebots came out really.  :-X I remembered Bronze Mexico being very similar to Bronze Mexico in EB but there were a lot of courses in ET that are similar to EB:

- Bronze Mexico (ET) & Bronze Mexico (EB) - Pretty much the whole course
- Bronze Scotland (ET) & Bronze Scotland (EB) - The portion of the course where the rings are at.
- Silver Mexico (ET) & Silver Mexico (EB) - The area after the red bar and the leg tree run path.
- Silver Scotland (ET) & Gold Scotland (EB) - The hills section, where the bowling pins are.
- Silver China (ET) & Silver China (EB) - Pretty much the same course
- Gold Finland (ET) & Silver Finland (EB) - The intro to the course with the ship and the long drift
- Gold China (ET) & Bronze China (EB) - The great wall jumping area
- Gold Scotland (ET) & Gold Scotland (EB) - The tree run towards the end of the course
- Platinum Scotland (ET) & Gold Scotland (EB) - A large portion of the course is similar
- Platinum Mexico (ET) & Gold Mexico (EB) - Basically the only difference is day/night.

I still have the last three Platinums and Diamond to do. It turns out I already had Excite and Super completed (yay!) and still need to do Mirror. I'll have my Super Excite 1st Place Records up when I finish later today.

And from my experience so far, Drift and Air are what Air spins and Jump Combos are in ExciteBots. It's a lot harder spinning and it makes me wonder if that is why so many rookies don't spin. :o

Offline TopStarRacer

• Excite Win Junkie
  • TGC Junkie
  • Race on!
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 24, 2013, 08:40:01 PM »
Super Excite 1st Place Star Records for Excite Truck are up. I accidentally skipped Silver Finland so I'll have to go back and do that one later...

Some of those were tough (Gold Finland!!!)

Offline theJudeAbides

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 24, 2013, 09:34:20 PM »
Wow, I beat all the Mirror races (S-ranked them) and then I went back and was able to beat the two remaining Super Challenges I had left.  This is the first time I've actually 100% beaten the game, and I'm feeling pretty good.  Previously, on my second try, I'd come close with only the two Super Gate challenges remaining.  I definately think my E-bots experience has helped, because the only difficulty came in execution, not in figuring out what to do.

Heck, in C. Nebula, the main thing to do is hit the two tree runs well both laps and then just get a few jumps, spins, and drifts whereever else you can.  I ended up getting 200+ on Mirror from like 5th or 6th and it's not like I even hit everything all that well (and I crashed a number of times as well).  I think once I start really digging into these courses, my scores are going to skyrocket.
theJude's Backloggery

Offline Copper

• The Emperor
  • Lightning
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 05, 2013, 05:15:10 PM »
i used to play it until i deleted my profile with the truck that goes threw trees
I just love Friday's with a lobster+Excitebots Trick Racing

Offline HyperMite

• The Parachuting Moose
  • Yep, that's me.
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 05, 2013, 10:09:05 PM »
Well, I finished up S-ranking all the Super Excite tracks.  And I did so while getting my 3 S-ranks for each truck that I opened up, so yeah, I was getting S-ranks with some crappy trucks.  However, at the end, I finally unlocked the Dynamo and let me tell you, it was like a fresh air.  I now know why Dynam0 named himself as such.

Some more thoughts that occured to me:
- The soundtrack on this game kind of kicks Excitebots butt.  It's pretty much metal all the way, and it makes a head-banging good time.
- I think I like the Crystal Nebula in this game better.  It's so much more... atmospheric.  And there's some cool things going on in this course, like the tornado ripping up the road on the second lap.
- Man I miss my Roach.  Cripes, I could be getting 300+ on most of these courses with the bots and controls from Excitebots.  Too bad they didn't offer the old courses as unlockables in Excitebots. :(
- I'm actually discovering some new stuff (at least I think I am) like tree runs.  I know I'm still missing out on a fair number of things and not running optimally, so it'll be interesting to see what I can do once I open up all the Trucks and can really hunker down with each course.  I'm pretty sure 2-3x the S-rank scores are possible on most courses.
- I found some high scores on another site.  I don't think it would be too hard for this community to come together to crush those scores. :D

I'll probably tackle Mirror tomorrow.  Oh, and Challenge Mode: completed the regular, S-ranked all but 2 of the Supers.  I get the feeling that the second Gate challenge is going to make me it's B$%@h.  I managed to get through without missing a single one in a pretty good time and was still 8 short.

About that theJude, I will probably get 1st in each of the fastest time on tracks.

Offline FLASH

• FC: 0648-3542-8677
  • TGC Junkie
  • Fastest Man Alive
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 05, 2013, 11:26:16 PM »
Hacking doesn't count HyprMit.

Offline HyperMite

• The Parachuting Moose
  • Yep, that's me.
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 06, 2013, 12:29:50 AM »
*HyperMite. I'm still really good at B-Lining on tracks. To be honest, I'm not going to hack everything. Please don't keep suggesting that I'm simply going to hack to get into high scores. There's no pride in that...

Btw there aren't any real cheating hacks for ET. There are codes for barrel rolls and front flips though which are pretty cool! They work for EB also.

Offline FLASH

• FC: 0648-3542-8677
  • TGC Junkie
  • Fastest Man Alive
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 06, 2013, 06:43:36 PM »
I only said that because I thought you knew how fast the time records are. If you did, then you wouldn't be so confiden about beating the records.

Offline theJudeAbides

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 06, 2013, 08:05:17 PM »
Yeah, the times on that site are actually pretty good, and if you go to youtube and search on a given track, you'll find even faster records.  I tried working on B. Mexico a while back and, despite knowing the line from the youtube videos, still wasn't able to come close to what they were getting.  Frustrating.
theJude's Backloggery

Offline theJudeAbides

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 19, 2014, 07:21:09 AM »
Wow, this is kind of odd.  So lately I'd been jonesing to play this game again.  Wasn't really sure why, but it was Excite Truck specifically (not Excitebots) that I wanted to play.  So I finally whipped it out and raced a few courses tonight and had a bit of fun.  I even managed to set a couple new records (more on those in a bit).  When I went to enter the scores here, I realized that it has been almost a year to the day since I've played this game.  Apparently my gaming habits are quite cyclical... ::)  So if you guys wait long enough, I'll probably come back to Excitebots in due time.  Also, I should be due for my period any time now. :D :P

Anyways, I was racing the Bronze courses at first to get back into the feel of the game.  I was coming close on a few scores, but just couldn't quite get to where I was at previously.  So then I hit the Silver Mexico and surprisingly managed to start finding some new, interesting things there that led to a new record there (although I still think there's room for improvement on that course).  Then, I got sidetracked looking at my stunt records and realized my spin record on the account I was racing was pretty pathetic, so I went to Silver Finland to try to improve it (which I did), but I was also able to up my record there as well after a few tries.  Looking at it, though, I think there's room for improvement there as well and I don't think a 200+ score there is unrealistic.  I might race some more tomorrow night as well.

I really wish more racers would get back into this game and post scores.  Joom, now that you're having trouble finding people in Excitebots, you should come over to Truck and see what you can do.  I bet you'll have fun on a lot of these old tracks. :D
theJude's Backloggery

Offline JoomX

• I Am The
  • Administrator
  • TGC Junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: January 19, 2014, 06:14:33 PM »
Actually had been thinking about dropping the disc in and playing a few, tJ.  Been a long, long time since I've even looked at it.  Might be the thing for later tonight, I think.  I did always like Trucks.

But you also need to think about some EB fun with BT, Dyn, and me sometime too...  ;)

Offline theJudeAbides

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 20, 2014, 12:51:54 AM »
But you also need to think about some EB fun with BT, Dyn, and me sometime too...  ;)

The only way that's gonna happen is if you guys start getting on late night with me.  I worked almost 70 hours this week, 10 hours each day (although they "let us off" a little early tonight... but we'll be right back at it tomorrow and for the rest of the week.   Ugh. :-X
theJude's Backloggery

Offline JoomX

• I Am The
  • Administrator
  • TGC Junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 20, 2014, 06:42:44 PM »
The only way that's gonna happen is if you guys start getting on late night with me.

I'll keep trying...