TGC ShoutBox

Refresh History
  • Forum rules apply here! Only members can Shout.
  • TopStarRacer: Happy birthday BTC! :D
    January 10, 2018, 03:48:28 AM
  • JoomX: Got a birthday coming up, eh BTC?  Make it a good one...  :)
    January 06, 2018, 04:58:58 PM
  • JoomX: Well, it's 2018.  9 years old and EB is still the best racing game on the planet...
    January 01, 2018, 04:20:18 PM
  • JoomX: Back at ya, Top.  Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to all.  And yes, EB 2018 would be the best Christmas gift...
    December 24, 2017, 05:14:14 PM
  • TopStarRacer: Merry Christmas and Happy New Year everyone! Here's hoping a new EB comes out in 2018! We can dream right?
    December 24, 2017, 12:07:19 AM
  • JoomX: Wow, four members here today.  It's a revival...  ;D
    December 13, 2017, 11:20:09 PM
  • theJudeAbides: Just need Snooog and Big Air to come back... and for theJude to go away. :D :P
    December 13, 2017, 05:59:08 AM
  • FLASH: Not at all! That's not even the comic book Barry Allen, but I'm ok with Ezra Miller as the Flash. Superman is more my speed these days  8)
    December 10, 2017, 10:17:37 AM
  • TopStarRacer: Hey FLASH! I saw Justice League the other day. How much do you relate to FLASH? :P
    December 08, 2017, 08:45:44 PM
  • JoomX: Good to see you too, Flash.  Too bad we don't have a good game we could all get into and hang out more often...
    December 08, 2017, 01:51:51 PM
  • FLASH: Long time no see Agent C! Good to see you around! BTC wished me a Happy Thanksgiving a few weeks ago so I figured I'd check in and see what's up. Hope you all are doing well!
    December 08, 2017, 01:33:09 PM
  • JoomX: Yes it would, Top.  Miss chatting with the old crew, including Dynamo.  And hey there, Agent C, good to see you...  :)
    December 04, 2017, 12:45:57 PM
  • TopStarRacer: Now if only BIG AIR and Snooog could pop in...be nice to hear from those old farts.
    December 02, 2017, 01:14:34 AM
  • TopStarRacer: The legend himself, how is the ol' AC?  Miss racing and chatting with you!
    December 02, 2017, 01:13:34 AM
  • Agent C: ;D
    December 01, 2017, 07:33:59 PM
  • Agent C: Oh, and Nintendo Switch sucks, wouldn't buy it for $50!
    December 01, 2017, 07:33:29 PM
  • Agent C: See, been that long, forgot it tells who is saying what! :P
    December 01, 2017, 07:31:55 PM
  • Agent C: Agent C, checking in after a long time. Hope everyone is doing well. I'm still around.
    December 01, 2017, 07:30:57 PM
  • JoomX: 33rd?  Wow...
    December 01, 2017, 11:42:04 AM
  • TopStarRacer: Happy 33rd Birthday Excitebike, the one that started it all!
    November 30, 2017, 11:32:16 AM

Author Topic: Who plays what on the Wii?  (Read 2815 times)

Offline JoomX

• I Am The
  • Administrator
  • TGC Junkie
  • It's all about the game...
    • View Profile
Who plays what on the Wii?
« on: February 17, 2011, 04:39:16 PM »
I know quite a few people now that play ExciteBots, a couple that play ExciteTruck and ExciteBike, and a few that play various FPS type games.  We also have all the basic Wii games (sports, golf, tennis, SpeedRacer, Monster Trucks, and 10-15 others; as well as a few of the other WiiWare games.

Most of the forum chatter I see, though, is for ExciteBots.  What else is everybody playing?  I'd like to know more about other games, what's out there, and what might be fun to pick up.  Also like to know about other fun online Wii games people are playing...
A computer once beat me at chess, but as it turns out it was no match for me at kickboxing... ;)

Offline TopStarRacer

• Excite Win Junkie
  • TGC Junkie
  • Race on!
    • View Profile
    • TopStarRacer's YouTube Channel
Re: Who plays what on the Wii?
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2011, 06:33:15 PM »
Once I hit 10K/1K on ExciteBots, I plan to go back and play some of the games I've missed out on. One of them being SSBB. I believe it's the most widely played online wii game. Got the game a year ago but never played it because my Wii wasn't able to read it. Something to do with Dual layer disc stuff.

Besides that, mario, zelda, and the wii series games (Wii Sports Resort, etc.) are some of the other series' I play. :)

Offline JoomX

• I Am The
  • Administrator
  • TGC Junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2011, 08:58:03 PM »
The Mario stuff is the one thing I've never played.  Don't know why, just could never bring myself to actually buy any of them.  Almost ordered Mario Kart a few times, but haven't yet.  Have to take a look at SSBB...
A computer once beat me at chess, but as it turns out it was no match for me at kickboxing... ;)

Offline TopStarRacer

• Excite Win Junkie
  • TGC Junkie
  • Race on!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2011, 09:10:55 PM »
Never played Mario? How is that possible? :P Well you should definitely check some of them out sometime. Mario Kart is nothing like ExciteBots, trust me. ;)

Offline JoomX

• I Am The
  • Administrator
  • TGC Junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2011, 09:24:35 PM »
We have about 30-40 games we've picked up since we got the Wii, but no Mario.  Yet.  I have a couple of the Monster Truck series, favorite is Urban Assault.

We actually still have a lot of fun with the mini games in the Wii Sports, the Wii Play, and the games that come with the fitness board.

One of my favorite racers besides ExciteBots is SpeedRacer, just wish it had online play...

Offline Barbie68

• Queen BEEliner
  • JESUS IS LORD
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2011, 12:07:56 AM »
Mario Kart is all about luck but it is still a lot of fun, and Joom, the way you love to knock it around, you would love the battle mode.  That is my favorite part of the game.  Plus, I've played A LOT of Mario in my day, but that is basically it for me    :D

Offline TopStarRacer

• Excite Win Junkie
  • TGC Junkie
  • Race on!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2011, 12:11:12 AM »
Hey Barbie, good to see you here. MK is a lot of luck. Battle mode is definitely fun but I wish there was a mode to play solo battles instead of always team battles. I like to ride solo. 8)

Offline JoomX

• I Am The
  • Administrator
  • TGC Junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2011, 12:20:45 AM »
I didn't know it had a battle mode.  That pretty much sells it for me.  I assume it has online.  Like Top, I'd like a solo battle thing, but I'm going to have to pick it up to try it out.  Nothing more fun to me in a racing game than a vehicle battle...

Offline TopStarRacer

• Excite Win Junkie
  • TGC Junkie
  • Race on!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2011, 12:26:40 AM »
Don't get your hopes up, there's no guns or blood involved. :P

Offline JoomX

• I Am The
  • Administrator
  • TGC Junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2011, 12:29:08 AM »
Not so big on the blood thing (or anything like GTA).  Used to be some good race games on the PC that did have canons, etc., that were fun.  Mostly I just like the bashing and trying to take out the other vehicles while racing at the same time...

Offline TopStarRacer

• Excite Win Junkie
  • TGC Junkie
  • Race on!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2011, 12:48:19 AM »
Hmmm. Yep, then MK Wii battles would probably be something you'd like. ;) I prefer the Mario Kart DS battles over the MK Wii ones though.

Offline FLASH

• FC: 0648-3542-8677
  • TGC Junkie
  • Fastest Man Alive
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 27, 2011, 04:12:25 PM »
Well I have played Mario, and for some reason, im really good at it. But having little brothers, I get to play alot of Lego games like Lego BatMan and Lego StarWars, which are actually pretty good games. I like the long story mode on those games. Occasionaly I will play SSBB just to prove to my bros that im still better than them. :) Of course I play some FPS games, and maybe some Sonic. I have to say though, that I really like Madden 11, even though graphics are cartoony. That is worth themoney, it even has online play if you set up an account somewhere.  I do like Mario though. We beat it in a few days, but we all are pretty good at it. (Brothers being we)

A game that I would like to play more off the Wii is MineCraft. I like to build and destroy stuff, and being able to make things out of simple materials is fun to.

On another note, I would like for another racing game to come out for the Wii or Wii U. It could be another Excitebots (Excitebots: City Streets or Excitebots: Urban Jungle) would be great, becaused I would enjoy an urban version of Ebots. But I would also Like a very very fast paced racing game. Not some Need For Speed or something like that, but I want a modern or futuristic type racing game with fast paces.

Offline theJudeAbides

• The Most Interesting Jerk on the Internet
  • I'm theJude, deal with it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 27, 2011, 05:09:41 PM »
Flash,

Like you, I've played (and beaten) all three Mario Games: Mario Galaxy, Mario Galaxy 2, and New Super Mario Bros. Wii.  Galaxy 1 was very easy until you get to the purple-coin challenges, and even a few of them weren't that hard.  Galaxy 2 stepped up the difficulty somewhat, but still wasn't incredibly hard.  Other than some of the purple coin missions and a few of the Green Star missions (and of course that accursed last level), the game wasn't too bad.  NSMBW was actually quite fun, despite I only ever played it in single player (well, I did experiment a little with multiplayer, but not enough to get a true sense of it).  It had just the right degree of difficulty and the challenge of collecting all the Star Coins was  a pretty solid one.

I've only played the LEGO Star Wars game, but I did really like it.  I wouldn't mind getting a few more of the LEGO games as well, as like you said, they're quality games with a lengthy single-player campaign.

One of my "most-played" multiplayer games (other than Excitebots) would probably be Boom Blox.  That game is a blast to play with family members.  I always meant to get the sequel, but still haven't.  I'd highly recommend it if you've got some family members to play (especially if they aren't particularly videogame-savvy).  Even my Mom was able to play the game, and her coordination and skill at videogames is... let's just say the only other game she's even been able to get good at was Tetris (on the NES).

I've also enjoyed a fair amount of the Guitar Hero games.  They're a lot of fun to get into, and trying to "full combo" songs is only for the hardcore.

And Flash, I believe the game you're looking for is F-Zero Wii.  No, it doesn't actually exist, but people (including myself) have been wanting it for years.  The series is known for extremely high-speed races through futuristic city type settings.  If you don't already own it, you'd be wise to pick up the GameCube version.  It was highly praised as one of the best games in the series to date.

Another hidden gem not to many people know about is called "Geometry Wars: Galaxies."  It's a fairly simple dual-analog shooter, but it's highly addictive and going for new high scores is always a blast.  Basically, it's just a top-down shooter where one analog stick controls the direction you move and the other controls which way you are shooting (There's also a button for bombs, but those are limited).  Each level usually starts out easy enough but quickly devolves into running for you life while shooting a path to survive just a little longer.  It's definately a great game, and worth checking out.  Now, I could talk about Castle of Shikigami III, but that game is probably too awesome for you guys to grasp. ;)
I don't always play videogames, but when I do, I prefer Excitebots.  Keep spinning, my friends.  8)
theJude's Backloggery

Offline FLASH

• FC: 0648-3542-8677
  • TGC Junkie
  • Fastest Man Alive
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 28, 2011, 12:49:57 PM »
:O :O :O F-Zero is... Awesome!!!! If they ever make a Wii or Wii U, version I will get it, and never stop playing. And if it has Wi-Fi mode. Eeek. That would be awesome! I would be the TopStar of that. They would call me, Captain Flash. :D

Offline Schprocket

• Skippy...Skippy.... Skippy the Bush Kangaroooooo
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 06, 2011, 11:21:43 AM »
Ahhhh youth, it knows not what it says... :D

Geometry Wars is, at it's core, looks like it's based on the old coin-op Asteroids, a (simulated?) vector-graphics 360 degree shooter where your spaceship can fly anywhere around the screen, including off one side and reappear on the other, travelling at the same angle & speed and also used space-like physics where thrust would keep you moving in one direction indefinitely.

The guy in the Asteroids video below is not a 'wild-child' like I used to be and is quite boring to watch... but then he's scoring higher than I ever did  ::)

Galaga, on the other hand, is Space Invaders on steroids, a psuedo vertical-scroller, where the enemy spaceships fly a range of choreographed patterns near you ship before 'flying' in formation and occassionally peeling off andattacking you. There was also limited vertical movement which you needed to use on occasion, and the opportunity to accumulate power-ups - yesssss!

Yep I wouldn't say a spent a fortune on these two games (being a tight-wad gamer - that's why I bought a VIC-20, so I could lose to a stupid computer in the privacyof my own home >:(  ;D ) but I spent enough coins to get through a few levels of each.

Shikigami, on the other hand is similar to Galaga, at it's core, but similar in the way that 1942 or maybe Xevious is similar but with a good measure of R-Type style uber-weaponry thrown in for good measure.

If you're not an old-school arcade scrolling-blaster fan, you most probably won't like these BUT if you ever get to find a blaster which has co-op play (as opposed to'hot-swapping' turns - I'm sure I've played one or two on PS or PS2 but the names escape me [edit] well I've been trying to remember/find the example but I'm not having any luck...[/edit])  then give it a go - they're more fun playing with a friend, IMO.

I eventually drifted more towards racing games sims, TBS, RTS, the odd RPG, and mostly FPSs but there's nothing like playing a good old shoot'em-up every now and then just to blow the cob-webs out.

I hated Space Invaders the first time around (I was 16 or 17 at the time and extremely uncoordinated - now I'm just plain uncoordinated  :D ) but I played the anniversary edition on DS and loved it. I'm still crap at it but that particular variation is a fun, mindless, twitchy, blast-fest :)
« Last Edit: August 06, 2011, 11:49:16 AM by Schprocket »

Offline theJudeAbides

• The Most Interesting Jerk on the Internet
  • I'm theJude, deal with it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 31, 2011, 12:51:28 AM »
Yeah, I suppose Galaxies has some vague similarities to Asteroids, and Shikigami to Galaga, but saying the games are "basically the same" is like saying Excitebots is "basically the same" as the old NES Excite Bike.  Yes, they're both racing games that have stunts, but the evolution of the techology and gameplay is so much that, in the end, the games have very little in common.

Seriously, you're going to say this is "pretty much the same" as Asteroids?  Play the game, then get back to me.

As for Castle of Shikigami III, when I referring to it as being "to awesome for you to grasp", I was mainly referring to the completely stupid voiceovers and "story" (yes, the word story needs to be in quotes).  However, it's more of (what the fans refer to as) a "bullet-hell" game where killing stuff is just half the battle as you have to narrowly avoid being hit.

Maybe it's just me being a fan of schmups because I never got to play them much as a kid, but I really love the challenge of these types of games.  Yes, they are HARD.  Even the "easy ones" aren't really all that easy, and the hard ones will make you want to throw your controller across the room.  Besides these two games, I've also been wanting to pick up another schmup call "Blast Works", but just haven't gotten around to it yet.  There's also a TON of shooters on the Virtual Console, and I've downloaded several of them.  Blazing Lazers is quite fun and actually quite "easy" ;), Gate of Thunder is utterly brilliant (to use Sprocket's favorite term), but is very difficult (I've only ever gotten to the 2nd level).  Besides that there are games like R-Type, Gradius, Lord of Thunder (the spiritual successor of Gate of Thunder), Star Soldier, and of course Galaga which are all great fun.

Finally, I'd be remiss if I didn't mention Contra III: The Alien Wars, which is available on the VC.  It's nothing like the previous games mentioned, but is also considered a "Schmup".  All I'm going to say in regards to this game is this: You have really earned your man-card until you've beaten this game.  Ladies, you'd better stick to Barbie's Horse Adventures, as the brutality of this game may scar you in a way that can never be repaired.
I don't always play videogames, but when I do, I prefer Excitebots.  Keep spinning, my friends.  8)
theJude's Backloggery

Offline G4meking

• Game Castle
  • Rookie
  • Playing games!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 17, 2012, 12:04:56 PM »
The only Wii games I played are those basic games.
If someone beats you......... then strike back!

Offline Airman

• Flying sky high
  • High level gaming is what I do best.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 14, 2012, 11:57:15 AM »
I play SSBB and MKW a lot and I'm prop. One of the better players.I also play adventer games like Okami.
Airman  8) ;) :P

Offline Feeble

• Rookie
  • Veni vidi vomui
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 29, 2012, 03:46:08 PM »

Finally, I'd be remiss if I didn't mention Contra III: The Alien Wars, which is available on the VC.
All I'm going to say in regards to this game is this: You have really earned your man-card until you've beaten this game.  Ladies, you'd better stick to Barbie's Horse Adventures, as the brutality of this game may scar you in a way that can never be repaired.

One of my all times greatest proof of "viciousness" in a game was the day that a friend of mine and I finished the co-op mode of Contra III in the hardest option. It was absolutely legen... wait for it ... dary.

(For the youngsters: in the past, co-op had no zooming out of screens and was usually double the difficulty of single player modes. The cause for it: you would hold the screen of your pal big time if you didn't move coherently, making for a heck of a hard time. Oh!, those were the days...)  8)

Miss you all, folks.

Offline JoomX

• I Am The
  • Administrator
  • TGC Junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 29, 2012, 03:51:39 PM »
Feeble, really good to see you.  You need to stop by more often, bud.  And we miss you on the tracks, too...

Offline Feeble

• Rookie
  • Veni vidi vomui
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 29, 2012, 05:52:55 PM »
Good to see you 2, my good friend J. :p

I have just been knocked down on what we call "qualification" for the PhD (it is a preview of my final work - man, some of those professors have probably never been with a woman whatsoever) but I managed to survive that. I'll try and make more contact from now on.

Offline JoomX

• I Am The
  • Administrator
  • TGC Junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 29, 2012, 05:58:14 PM »
Sounds good.  Let me know when you have time for a chat...

Offline Cubestr

• Sir Chandestroy
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 29, 2012, 06:00:24 PM »
Well I play SSBB (one game i am very good at) (GO META KNIGHT!) and other than that all i have is wii sports (unless you guys wanna play my sister's cooking mama game  :P)
I am a very indecisive person
... At least I think I am ... ::)