TGC ShoutBox

Refresh History
  • Forum rules apply here! Only members can Shout.
  • TopStarRacer: Happy birthday BTC! :D
    January 10, 2018, 03:48:28 AM
  • JoomX: Got a birthday coming up, eh BTC?  Make it a good one...  :)
    January 06, 2018, 04:58:58 PM
  • JoomX: Well, it's 2018.  9 years old and EB is still the best racing game on the planet...
    January 01, 2018, 04:20:18 PM
  • JoomX: Back at ya, Top.  Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to all.  And yes, EB 2018 would be the best Christmas gift...
    December 24, 2017, 05:14:14 PM
  • TopStarRacer: Merry Christmas and Happy New Year everyone! Here's hoping a new EB comes out in 2018! We can dream right?
    December 24, 2017, 12:07:19 AM
  • JoomX: Wow, four members here today.  It's a revival...  ;D
    December 13, 2017, 11:20:09 PM
  • theJudeAbides: Just need Snooog and Big Air to come back... and for theJude to go away. :D :P
    December 13, 2017, 05:59:08 AM
  • FLASH: Not at all! That's not even the comic book Barry Allen, but I'm ok with Ezra Miller as the Flash. Superman is more my speed these days  8)
    December 10, 2017, 10:17:37 AM
  • TopStarRacer: Hey FLASH! I saw Justice League the other day. How much do you relate to FLASH? :P
    December 08, 2017, 08:45:44 PM
  • JoomX: Good to see you too, Flash.  Too bad we don't have a good game we could all get into and hang out more often...
    December 08, 2017, 01:51:51 PM
  • FLASH: Long time no see Agent C! Good to see you around! BTC wished me a Happy Thanksgiving a few weeks ago so I figured I'd check in and see what's up. Hope you all are doing well!
    December 08, 2017, 01:33:09 PM
  • JoomX: Yes it would, Top.  Miss chatting with the old crew, including Dynamo.  And hey there, Agent C, good to see you...  :)
    December 04, 2017, 12:45:57 PM
  • TopStarRacer: Now if only BIG AIR and Snooog could pop in...be nice to hear from those old farts.
    December 02, 2017, 01:14:34 AM
  • TopStarRacer: The legend himself, how is the ol' AC?  Miss racing and chatting with you!
    December 02, 2017, 01:13:34 AM
  • Agent C: ;D
    December 01, 2017, 07:33:59 PM
  • Agent C: Oh, and Nintendo Switch sucks, wouldn't buy it for $50!
    December 01, 2017, 07:33:29 PM
  • Agent C: See, been that long, forgot it tells who is saying what! :P
    December 01, 2017, 07:31:55 PM
  • Agent C: Agent C, checking in after a long time. Hope everyone is doing well. I'm still around.
    December 01, 2017, 07:30:57 PM
  • JoomX: 33rd?  Wow...
    December 01, 2017, 11:42:04 AM
  • TopStarRacer: Happy 33rd Birthday Excitebike, the one that started it all!
    November 30, 2017, 11:32:16 AM

Author Topic: [Wii] Muramasa: The Demon Blade  (Read 989 times)

Offline theJudeAbides

• The Most Interesting Jerk on the Internet
  • I'm theJude, deal with it.
    • View Profile
[Wii] Muramasa: The Demon Blade
« on: May 23, 2011, 06:36:57 PM »

Muramasa: The Demon Blade

What is it:
Although gameFAQs classifies Muramasa: The Demon Blade as an "Action RPG," I tend to classify it more as a Beat 'em Up with RPG elements.  You play as one of two characters (although to get the comlete experience, you'll need to play as both as they each have their own storylines, bosses, and endings).  With them, you run around encountering and fighting enemies.  Although it may seem initially just like a button masher, you'll soon realize there's more too it than that.  You can equip up to 3 swords (and should) at a time (you get more as you level up).  Each of these has a unique special attack and learning to utilize and master these.  You'll eventually encounter boss enemies as well, which you'll need to defeat in order to advance in the game (each boss, when defeated, will give you a special sword which will allow you to destroy specifically colored barriers).  Although the game can get a bit repetitious at times, the unique attacks of each of the swords, combined with the fact that'll you'll be getting new ones frequently, help add variety to the gameplay.

Graphics:
This game is absolutely stunning to look at, even if you only have a standard-definition TV like I do.  All of the levels, backgrounds, and character designs are lovingly crafted and absolutely beautiful.  I have heard it said that looking at this game is like looking at a painting, and I tend to agree.  The game has a truly unique art style, and is one of the best looking games on the Wii.

Sound/Music:
The music in this game is great.  There were many times when I would just set the controller down and just take it in.  It is very fitting for the setting of the game, and most of them are quite catchy (I often found myself humming the tunes long after I'd stopped playing the game).

Addtitionally, the sound is great.  All of the dialogue is voiced by great voice-actors who turn in wonderful performances.  Yes, it is all in Japanese, but that's what makes it great, because it feels much more authentic.  The storyline is very eastern/Japanese, so for it to be voiced English-speaking people would just be wrong.  There are sub-titles so you know what they're saying, as well.

Gameplay:
Great graphics and music do not make a great game.  They can enhance an already good game, but without solid gameplay mechanics, a game is doomed to mediocrity or worse.

Fortunately, this game is a blast to play.  The fighting mechanices are quite simple (you're give a few basic moves), but they allow for a complex system that you'll slowly learn as the game progresses.  And while the hacking and slashing can get a bit repetitious, this is thankfully broken up by the RPG system.  As you play, you'll slowly level up.  Leveling will often allow you to forge and equip new blades, each of which has their own unique special attacks.  It's these special attacks that really make the game fun to play, as figuring out and mastering each swords' special attacks is always a blast.  And just when you're getting bored with it, it'll be time to replace it with a new one.

You won't just be fighting generic grunts all the time, either.  There are plenty of bosses to fight, each of which has their own personality and require different strategies for attack.  And even after you've beaten all of them, there are plenty of extra challenges to take on as well.  These come in the form of little "mini dungeons" where you must face numerous challenges.  These range from the fairly easy all the way up to one called "Total Pandemonium" which is basically just batcrap crazy hell where the game throws EVERYTHING at you, in large quantities.

Lasting Appeal:
This game will take you quite a while to complete.  First you have two seperate characters, each with their own campaign that will take you quite a while to finish.  Then, once you've done that, there are additional endings for each character to play through and the aforementioned dungeons.  Plus, there are two different difficulty settings, so if you just played through on easy and want a challenge, you can always go back and do the whole thing on hard difficulty.

Verdict:
I really enjoyed the game and had a lot of fun playing through the campaign.  The game is quite diverse and actually has a decent storyline as well.  While some might be initially turned off by the repetition, if you can get past that, you'll find a wonderful game with plenty of challenge, along with rewards for completing them.

I'd generally recommend this game to most people.  However, if you're a beat-'em-up fan and/or love Japanese mythology, you really need to get this game.  For how cheap this game can be found nowadays, there really isn't any reason not to own it.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2013, 11:38:30 PM by theJudeAbides »
I don't always play videogames, but when I do, I prefer Excitebots.  Keep spinning, my friends.  8)
theJude's Backloggery

Offline JoomX

• I Am The
  • Administrator
  • TGC Junkie
  • It's all about the game...
    • View Profile
Re: [Wii] Muramasa: The Demon Blade
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2011, 07:37:28 PM »
Nice review, tJ, I'd never seen this game in all my searches.  Thanks, have to take a look on Amazon...
A computer once beat me at chess, but as it turns out it was no match for me at kickboxing... ;)

Offline theJudeAbides

• The Most Interesting Jerk on the Internet
  • I'm theJude, deal with it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2011, 08:31:50 AM »
Thanks, JOOM.  After noticing some typos and grammatical errors, I decided to go back and beef it up a little bit more.  I'm hoping to create reviews for all the Wii games I've played, and since this was the game I played most recently (other than Excitebots), I figured I'd start with it.

And if you're interested in buying it, Amazon is probably the best way to go (that's where I got it).  Although it has a list price of $50, it is almost always on sale for a lot cheaper than that ($12 at the time of writing).
I don't always play videogames, but when I do, I prefer Excitebots.  Keep spinning, my friends.  8)
theJude's Backloggery

Offline JoomX

• I Am The
  • Administrator
  • TGC Junkie
  • It's all about the game...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2011, 11:12:12 AM »
I still haven't picked it up, but I have it on my list of games now.  I keep a list of games in my organizer on the PC to check out and buy as I get time for hobby stuff.  Lately EB has pretty much consumed all my game time, but I like to keep a variety on the shelf...
A computer once beat me at chess, but as it turns out it was no match for me at kickboxing... ;)