TGC ShoutBox

Refresh History
  • Forum rules apply here! Only members can Shout.
  • TopStarRacer: Happy birthday BTC! :D
    January 10, 2018, 03:48:28 AM
  • JoomX: Got a birthday coming up, eh BTC?  Make it a good one...  :)
    January 06, 2018, 04:58:58 PM
  • JoomX: Well, it's 2018.  9 years old and EB is still the best racing game on the planet...
    January 01, 2018, 04:20:18 PM
  • JoomX: Back at ya, Top.  Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to all.  And yes, EB 2018 would be the best Christmas gift...
    December 24, 2017, 05:14:14 PM
  • TopStarRacer: Merry Christmas and Happy New Year everyone! Here's hoping a new EB comes out in 2018! We can dream right?
    December 24, 2017, 12:07:19 AM
  • JoomX: Wow, four members here today.  It's a revival...  ;D
    December 13, 2017, 11:20:09 PM
  • theJudeAbides: Just need Snooog and Big Air to come back... and for theJude to go away. :D :P
    December 13, 2017, 05:59:08 AM
  • FLASH: Not at all! That's not even the comic book Barry Allen, but I'm ok with Ezra Miller as the Flash. Superman is more my speed these days  8)
    December 10, 2017, 10:17:37 AM
  • TopStarRacer: Hey FLASH! I saw Justice League the other day. How much do you relate to FLASH? :P
    December 08, 2017, 08:45:44 PM
  • JoomX: Good to see you too, Flash.  Too bad we don't have a good game we could all get into and hang out more often...
    December 08, 2017, 01:51:51 PM
  • FLASH: Long time no see Agent C! Good to see you around! BTC wished me a Happy Thanksgiving a few weeks ago so I figured I'd check in and see what's up. Hope you all are doing well!
    December 08, 2017, 01:33:09 PM
  • JoomX: Yes it would, Top.  Miss chatting with the old crew, including Dynamo.  And hey there, Agent C, good to see you...  :)
    December 04, 2017, 12:45:57 PM
  • TopStarRacer: Now if only BIG AIR and Snooog could pop in...be nice to hear from those old farts.
    December 02, 2017, 01:14:34 AM
  • TopStarRacer: The legend himself, how is the ol' AC?  Miss racing and chatting with you!
    December 02, 2017, 01:13:34 AM
  • Agent C: ;D
    December 01, 2017, 07:33:59 PM
  • Agent C: Oh, and Nintendo Switch sucks, wouldn't buy it for $50!
    December 01, 2017, 07:33:29 PM
  • Agent C: See, been that long, forgot it tells who is saying what! :P
    December 01, 2017, 07:31:55 PM
  • Agent C: Agent C, checking in after a long time. Hope everyone is doing well. I'm still around.
    December 01, 2017, 07:30:57 PM
  • JoomX: 33rd?  Wow...
    December 01, 2017, 11:42:04 AM
  • TopStarRacer: Happy 33rd Birthday Excitebike, the one that started it all!
    November 30, 2017, 11:32:16 AM

Author Topic: [Wii] Kirby's Epic Yarn  (Read 820 times)

Offline theJudeAbides

• The Most Interesting Jerk on the Internet
  • I'm theJude, deal with it.
    • View Profile
[Wii] Kirby's Epic Yarn
« on: May 26, 2011, 09:05:20 AM »
Kirby's Epic Yarn

What is it:
Kirby's Epic Yarn is a 2d platforming game (think: Mario).  You run, jump, kill enemies, and try to reach the end of each level.  Although the game is quite easy, it still tends to be quite fun, and features a rather unique graphical style.

Graphics:
This game has a very cutesy graphical style, which may turn some off, but is actually really well done.  In this game, Kirby, the enemies, and the levels around him are all made out of "crafty" materials like fabrics, buttons, beads, zippers, etc...  It really is something to behold, for all of it's cutesy-ness.

Sound/Music:
Thinking back, I can't recall this game having any particularly "great" music, but I also don't recall anything bad, either.  The background music serves it's purpose, but not much more.
The voices follow the theme of the game and are quite cutesy.  The narrator of the "story" is speaks in a manner as you might if you were telling a child a bedtime story: OK if you're a kid, but kind of annoying if you're adult.  Thankfully, these sections are fairly limited.

Gameplay:
As I mentioned, this game is quite easy to play.  In fact, it is pretty much impossible to die.  However, the difficulty comes in actually completing the game 100%.  Sure, you can easily pass through most levels no matter how much you get banged up, but to get the Gold Medal ratings for each level actually requires some skill.

Also, this game is just plain FUN!  There are quite a few "morph levels" where Kirby morphs into some kind of machine or animal, and these are a lot of fun to play through.  And even the regular levels are a blast to play through as you search for all the secrets and and beat up on the baddies.  This game won't tax your gaming skills, but sometimes all you want to do is have some mindless fun.

Lasting Appeal:
Unfortunately, the game is fairly short and you'll be left wanting more.  There are some small, additional levels to play through after you're done with the main levels.  However, they tend to be fairly inane and tend to get repetitious pretty fast.

Verdict:
It's hard to really recommend this for everyone.  However, if you're a fan of platformers (Mario-style games), then you'll likely enjoy this outing, even if you aren't challenged by it.  And if you have younger children running around the house as well, they're sure to enjoy it as well.
I don't always play videogames, but when I do, I prefer Excitebots.  Keep spinning, my friends.  8)
theJude's Backloggery

Offline JoomX

• I Am The
  • Administrator
  • TGC Junkie
  • It's all about the game...
    • View Profile
Re: [Wii] Kirby's Epic Yarn
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2011, 11:06:54 AM »
Another good review, tJ.  I actually quite like a good platformer and miss playing them more often.  Have to check this out...
A computer once beat me at chess, but as it turns out it was no match for me at kickboxing... ;)