TGC ShoutBox

Refresh History
  • Forum rules apply here! Only members can Shout.
  • TopStarRacer: Happy birthday BTC! :D
    January 10, 2018, 03:48:28 AM
  • JoomX: Got a birthday coming up, eh BTC?  Make it a good one...  :)
    January 06, 2018, 04:58:58 PM
  • JoomX: Well, it's 2018.  9 years old and EB is still the best racing game on the planet...
    January 01, 2018, 04:20:18 PM
  • JoomX: Back at ya, Top.  Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to all.  And yes, EB 2018 would be the best Christmas gift...
    December 24, 2017, 05:14:14 PM
  • TopStarRacer: Merry Christmas and Happy New Year everyone! Here's hoping a new EB comes out in 2018! We can dream right?
    December 24, 2017, 12:07:19 AM
  • JoomX: Wow, four members here today.  It's a revival...  ;D
    December 13, 2017, 11:20:09 PM
  • theJudeAbides: Just need Snooog and Big Air to come back... and for theJude to go away. :D :P
    December 13, 2017, 05:59:08 AM
  • FLASH: Not at all! That's not even the comic book Barry Allen, but I'm ok with Ezra Miller as the Flash. Superman is more my speed these days  8)
    December 10, 2017, 10:17:37 AM
  • TopStarRacer: Hey FLASH! I saw Justice League the other day. How much do you relate to FLASH? :P
    December 08, 2017, 08:45:44 PM
  • JoomX: Good to see you too, Flash.  Too bad we don't have a good game we could all get into and hang out more often...
    December 08, 2017, 01:51:51 PM
  • FLASH: Long time no see Agent C! Good to see you around! BTC wished me a Happy Thanksgiving a few weeks ago so I figured I'd check in and see what's up. Hope you all are doing well!
    December 08, 2017, 01:33:09 PM
  • JoomX: Yes it would, Top.  Miss chatting with the old crew, including Dynamo.  And hey there, Agent C, good to see you...  :)
    December 04, 2017, 12:45:57 PM
  • TopStarRacer: Now if only BIG AIR and Snooog could pop in...be nice to hear from those old farts.
    December 02, 2017, 01:14:34 AM
  • TopStarRacer: The legend himself, how is the ol' AC?  Miss racing and chatting with you!
    December 02, 2017, 01:13:34 AM
  • Agent C: ;D
    December 01, 2017, 07:33:59 PM
  • Agent C: Oh, and Nintendo Switch sucks, wouldn't buy it for $50!
    December 01, 2017, 07:33:29 PM
  • Agent C: See, been that long, forgot it tells who is saying what! :P
    December 01, 2017, 07:31:55 PM
  • Agent C: Agent C, checking in after a long time. Hope everyone is doing well. I'm still around.
    December 01, 2017, 07:30:57 PM
  • JoomX: 33rd?  Wow...
    December 01, 2017, 11:42:04 AM
  • TopStarRacer: Happy 33rd Birthday Excitebike, the one that started it all!
    November 30, 2017, 11:32:16 AM

Author Topic: [N64] Blast Corps  (Read 847 times)

Offline theJudeAbides

• The Most Interesting Jerk on the Internet
  • I'm theJude, deal with it.
    • View Profile
[N64] Blast Corps
« on: June 14, 2011, 11:41:21 AM »
Blast Corps

It's time to take a trip back in time to sometime in the late 90s/early 00s.  Everyone knew what an awesome developer Rare was from games like Goldeneye, Donkey Kong 64, Perfect Dark, and others.  I'd played many of these games and loved them all.

At the time, I was working at a small variety store that had a small stand with a few used games on it.  One day, I was looking for something new amidst the very limited selection.  In there I noticed a game called "Blast Corps."  Initially, I didn't pay it much attention because it looked kind of cheesy and lame.  However, I then noticed that trademark "R" symbol for "Rare" and became intrigued.  I picked up the box and examined it thoroughly.  I had never heard of this game before, yet it was from one of the premiere N64 developers who had my complete trust.  After failing for find anything else of note, I decided, "what the heck, let's give it a shot."

What is it:
Blast Corps was actually Rare's very first game on the N64 (it preceeded even Goldeneye).  At the time, they were still struggling to get a handle on the hardware, and looks rather rough compared to a lot of future games.  However, the gameplay is awesome, the challenge is substantial (although it starts off simple enough), and the game is actually quite polished.

The plotline is ripped straight out of a cheesy 80's thriller.  There is a carrier carrying nuclear missles that has gone out of control, and it is up to you to clear a path in front of it until a safe detonation point can be reached.  Silly?  Yes, but it serves it's purpose: giving your an excuse to bulldoze and demolish buildings.  There are also some other "random" levels thrown like racing some courses and even a couple of Pac-man type stages.  There's a lot of creativity in the levels and it never gets boring.

Graphics:
As I said, this was an early N64 game.  However, it's clear that Rare was ahead of the game as this game tends to look a lot better than it's contemporaries.  The vehicles you drive look pretty nice.  However, a lot of the buildings are just cubes with a texture slapped on and a lot of the terrain is flat and boring.  It's certainly not the best looking game on the N64, but it's not the worst either, and for it's era, it's not too shabby.

Sound/Music:
To say I love the music from this game is an understatement.  I actually found the website of the guy who created the music and downloaded most of the tunes.  I've got it friggen bookmarked for cripes sake (Check out Simian Acres, Magma Park, Orion Plaza, and the Main Theme to hear some of my favorites).  These tunes WILL get in your head, in the best kind of way.  When people whine that video game music isn't as good as it was in the NES days, I slap them across the face and tell them to go listen to this music.  It is outstanding in everyway (and once you play the game, you'll see they fit their respective levels like a glove).

There are much for other sounds except for some generic crashing sounds when you destroy a building.  This is a good thing, though, because it doesn't distract you from the music.  Seriously, are you listening to it yet?

Gameplay:
This game is just plain, downright FUN!  I don't know how many times I've played through it, but it's more than 3. 

First, you have the "regular" levels which involve the aforementioned demolishing of buildings.  However, this is never as simple or monotonous as you might think.  First off, there are several different vehicles and bots (yes bots: big old mechs capable of mass destruction) that are used in several different levels.  To make things even more complicated, in several missions, you'll actually have to swap vehicles mid-mission in order to be capable of finishing it.  I'm not sure if I communicate this earlier, but the truck slowly (and sometimes not so slowly) along towards the buildings, so you're always under the gun to clear the buildings as quickly as possible.  Figuring out the best, fastest way to do so.  In many of the later missions, you have to be the absolute epitomy of efficiency in order not to have the carrier blow up.

Then, even after you finish the level, you'll often need to go back to 100% it by destroying all buildings (they often like to hide little things all over the map that need to be destroyed), find all RDUs (little lights that pop on when you drive near them), and find scientists in certain levels that are needed to complete the game.

In each of the main levels (and some of these side levels) there are usually one or more hidden beacons that, when found, will unlock side levels.  These are usually fun little diversions that involve racing and other minigames that are quite fun.

Then, after you beat the main game, you'll start unlocking "side-missions" on other planets, starting with the moon.  These missions are an absolute riot as the gravity is lowered and your vehicle will just fly around, careening wildly out of control.  They're an absolute blast to play and a great reward for beating the game.

So yeah, this game has a very fun main game, lots of fun diversions, and is an absolute BLAST from start to end.

Lasting Appeal:
So yeah, you beat the game after many hours of fun, and you're feeling pretty good.  But what's this?  Gold medals?  Alright, let's go back and get them all for each level.  Yeah!  I'm awesome...  Wait, what's this?  Platinum Medals?  You've gotta be f***ing kidding me!  Alright, bring it on!  OK, now THIS is a serious challenge!

Seriously, this actually happens.  Oh, and those Platinum Medals are really insane.  I seem to recall I only ever got like 3 or 4 of them.  Some of them don't even seem possible, while others always seem just barely out of reach (usually I'd be off by like a second or so).  I think Aaron and TopStar would love this part, because you have to be absolutely perfect in order to succeed.

Even if you don't bother with the medals, though, this game is still a blast to go back and play through time and time again.  There's just something cathartic about taking down a city block's worth of skyscrapers after a long day of working for the man.

Final Verdict:
This is, and will always remain, one of my absolute favorite games of all time.  The combination of fun gameplay, cool bots/vehicles, and awesome music (seriously, are you listening to it yet?) makes for one of the best games I've ever experienced.

For a game that started out as a "well, I suppose, since there doesn't appear to be anything else worthwhile," this game broke all my expectations and renewed my faith in Rare.  Everybody always likes to talk about Goldeneye, Donkey Kong 64, Perfect Dark, and Conker's Bad Fir Day, but this little gem is highly under-appreciated and under-rated.  It's too bad this'll never be on the VC (Rare owns it, and Microsoft owns Rare), because this game deserves a second life.

Oh, and in case I forgot to mention it, the soundtrack kicks ass.  (That's right, I'm linking to it twice, go listen to it NOW!)
I don't always play videogames, but when I do, I prefer Excitebots.  Keep spinning, my friends.  8)
theJude's Backloggery