TGC ShoutBox

Refresh History
  • Forum rules apply here! Only members can Shout.
  • TopStarRacer: Happy birthday BTC! :D
    January 10, 2018, 03:48:28 AM
  • JoomX: Got a birthday coming up, eh BTC?  Make it a good one...  :)
    January 06, 2018, 04:58:58 PM
  • JoomX: Well, it's 2018.  9 years old and EB is still the best racing game on the planet...
    January 01, 2018, 04:20:18 PM
  • JoomX: Back at ya, Top.  Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to all.  And yes, EB 2018 would be the best Christmas gift...
    December 24, 2017, 05:14:14 PM
  • TopStarRacer: Merry Christmas and Happy New Year everyone! Here's hoping a new EB comes out in 2018! We can dream right?
    December 24, 2017, 12:07:19 AM
  • JoomX: Wow, four members here today.  It's a revival...  ;D
    December 13, 2017, 11:20:09 PM
  • theJudeAbides: Just need Snooog and Big Air to come back... and for theJude to go away. :D :P
    December 13, 2017, 05:59:08 AM
  • FLASH: Not at all! That's not even the comic book Barry Allen, but I'm ok with Ezra Miller as the Flash. Superman is more my speed these days  8)
    December 10, 2017, 10:17:37 AM
  • TopStarRacer: Hey FLASH! I saw Justice League the other day. How much do you relate to FLASH? :P
    December 08, 2017, 08:45:44 PM
  • JoomX: Good to see you too, Flash.  Too bad we don't have a good game we could all get into and hang out more often...
    December 08, 2017, 01:51:51 PM
  • FLASH: Long time no see Agent C! Good to see you around! BTC wished me a Happy Thanksgiving a few weeks ago so I figured I'd check in and see what's up. Hope you all are doing well!
    December 08, 2017, 01:33:09 PM
  • JoomX: Yes it would, Top.  Miss chatting with the old crew, including Dynamo.  And hey there, Agent C, good to see you...  :)
    December 04, 2017, 12:45:57 PM
  • TopStarRacer: Now if only BIG AIR and Snooog could pop in...be nice to hear from those old farts.
    December 02, 2017, 01:14:34 AM
  • TopStarRacer: The legend himself, how is the ol' AC?  Miss racing and chatting with you!
    December 02, 2017, 01:13:34 AM
  • Agent C: ;D
    December 01, 2017, 07:33:59 PM
  • Agent C: Oh, and Nintendo Switch sucks, wouldn't buy it for $50!
    December 01, 2017, 07:33:29 PM
  • Agent C: See, been that long, forgot it tells who is saying what! :P
    December 01, 2017, 07:31:55 PM
  • Agent C: Agent C, checking in after a long time. Hope everyone is doing well. I'm still around.
    December 01, 2017, 07:30:57 PM
  • JoomX: 33rd?  Wow...
    December 01, 2017, 11:42:04 AM
  • TopStarRacer: Happy 33rd Birthday Excitebike, the one that started it all!
    November 30, 2017, 11:32:16 AM

Author Topic: 3DS titles announced at E3  (Read 1440 times)

Offline Schprocket

• Skippy...Skippy.... Skippy the Bush Kangaroooooo
    • View Profile
3DS titles announced at E3
« on: July 15, 2011, 10:16:20 AM »
Disclaimer - Bearing in mind Nintendo's penchant for not making all title available in all regions, the following commentary is based on the videos downloadable in the Aussie region.
As one of my buddies on another forum is fond of saying - YMMV (your mileage may vary)

I read Jude's great little summary of Nintendo's and Microsoft's respective E3 efforts and I thought I'd follow up with some 3DS-specific insights.

One of the beauties of the 3DS is being able to see for yourself what the actual gameplay will look like in 3D... which leads to wonder how long it will be before somebody figures out how to demo this on a PC but I digress...
On the down-side, there's no real idea of what the game feels like to actually play and if I know one thing about games, being the ugliest-looking doesn't mean it's the worst!

Also, I never 'grew up' with Nintendo so I don't have a great affinity for anything to do with plumbers, gorillas, elves, or weird pink fluffy things, so my video 'reviews' will be pretty much called as I see them :)

Legend of Zelda - The Ocarina of Time
OK, technically I saw this demo video before the "E3" releases and to be frank, it blew me away. To be able to see the actual gameplay in 3D rather than as you will have seen it on Nintendo or YouTube adds a dimension (...groan...) that has to be seen to really understand how great the 3D 'look' is.
Looks like a "must have"and it would seem most reviewers are of that opinion.
I had Twilight Princess for the first Wii I had but the PS3 kinda barged the Wii out before I got 25%of the way through.
Having seen the vids and the Robin & Zelda Williams promos, this looks like one I'll get into down the track, if I can ever extricate the Pokemon Black cartridge out of the DS ::)

Luigi's Mansion 2
Whilst poor old Luigi seems relegated to Ninty's B-list of stars (remember, I'm no Ninty fan boy :) ) and this game doesn't have the pedigree of the Zelda series behind it, this graphically is a stunning game. The 3d effects are used quite well and has the appearance of a Pixar movie.
Looks like a sort of 3D platformer with a Ghostbusters-theme.
I would personally put this on the 'worth a look' list but not necessarily a 'must have' - sorry Luigi!

Kid Icarus - Uprising
After watching Luigi vascuuming up ghosts & ghoulies, this Nintyfied-version of God Of War looked to have promise in the graphics department as well as gameplay... but what's this?
Maybe it's me but the 3D 'depth of field' which the character is limited to appears to be overlayed over a separate 3D background, and so there's this sort  of rubber-banding which occurs where the background moves once the character reaches the 'border' of the foreground constraints.
Maybe it's something I could get used to but the first few views of the vid I've personally found a little disorienting.
Turn the 3D off and it's a reasonable looking psuedo-3D game that you'd be used to seeing on a PSP.
I'm kinda mehh on the G-o-W style of game  (personally, I'd choose Luigi's Mansion 2 over this one) - not one for me but fans of the genre may like this, particularly the Kid Icarus fans.

Metal Gear Solid 3D - Snake Eater
Snaaaake!  Snaaaake! You traitor! When did you stop being Sony-exclusive? :)
Great use of one of  the game's cut-scenes for the trailer interspersed with some 3DS-only features.
I felt my eyes being wrenched a little during the running of the trailer in 3D, like there may have been some sort of frame-rate issue or that there's simply too much happening affecting the 3D effect.
Turn the 3D off and you have a great-looking game for fans of the stealth-genre, and again I draw parallels to the PSP in appearance.
If I had more money to burn and time to kill, this would be on my 'to do' list... maybe even beating LoZ-OoT but mainly because I've played some of the Sony iterations of the series ;)

Ok, last one for this posting:
Resident Evil - Revelations
Another series which I'm used to seeing at home on the Sony systems but I also had Resi 4 for the Wii (must get it again as it was a cracker)
Unlike what I recall from previous games, this one switches from 3rd to 1st person view when firing at the mutants/zombies. The balance of the 3D effect is pretty good, probably because the action seen in the trailer is indoors - no sensation of 'eye-wrenching' with this one.
I suspect that fans of the series won't be disappointed with the gameplay and an opportunity to play on a portable console. Grapically it looks as good in 3D as in 2D.

The remaining 3D game-trailers are more the classic Ninty Mario-centric titles, which I'll be reviewing in a forthcoming post.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2011, 10:23:04 AM by Schprocket »

Offline JoomX

• I Am The
  • Administrator
  • TGC Junkie
  • It's all about the game...
    • View Profile
Re: 3DS titles announced at E3
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2011, 12:03:25 PM »
Nice writeup on these, S, thanks... :)
A computer once beat me at chess, but as it turns out it was no match for me at kickboxing... ;)

Offline theJudeAbides

• The Most Interesting Jerk on the Internet
  • I'm theJude, deal with it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2011, 07:40:55 PM »
Legend of Zelda - The Ocarina of Time
OK, technically I saw this demo video before the "E3" releases and to be frank, it blew me away. To be able to see the actual gameplay in 3D rather than as you will have seen it on Nintendo or YouTube adds a dimension (...groan...) that has to be seen to really understand how great the 3D 'look' is.
Looks like a "must have"and it would seem most reviewers are of that opinion.
I had Twilight Princess for the first Wii I had but the PS3 kinda barged the Wii out before I got 25%of the way through.
Having seen the vids and the Robin & Zelda Williams promos, this looks like one I'll get into down the track, if I can ever extricate the Pokemon Black cartridge out of the DS ::)

Having never played the original game (or any remakes), and having never been the uber Zelda fan that so many are, I tend to wonder why Zelda gets so over-hyped.  This game, especially, tends to be over-fellated by game reviewers to the point of nauseum.  Perhaps it's a great game (I'd like to play it eventually, but on the N64 where it was meant to be played), but the over-exaggerations have kind turned me off and I can't help but feel I'll likely be dissappointed.  That said, this game will not fail.  There are far to many Zelda fanboys for that to ever happen.

Luigi's Mansion 2
Whilst poor old Luigi seems relegated to Ninty's B-list of stars (remember, I'm no Ninty fan boy :) ) and this game doesn't have the pedigree of the Zelda series behind it, this graphically is a stunning game. The 3d effects are used quite well and has the appearance of a Pixar movie.
Looks like a sort of 3D platformer with a Ghostbusters-theme.
I would personally put this on the 'worth a look' list but not necessarily a 'must have' - sorry Luigi!

I remember a while back (long before much was even known about the 3DS's lineup and the WiiU was just wild speculation), ign did a piece where they talked about what games they'd like to see made for the Wii, and Luigi's Mansion 2 was one of them.  I tended to agree with this, too.  Although I never played the original, I am familiar with the premise of the game and it seemed perfectly suited to the Wii.  Using the the Wii-mote to point at and suck-up ghosts just makes sense.  Now, I'm sure the 3DS version will be fun as well, but I still think this would have made a better Wii or even Wii U game.  Imagine entering a room and not being able to see the ghosts, and then holding that tablet thing up (with that gun-holder-thing they showed at E3) and being able to look around and see the invisible ghosts there, and then focusing in on them as the moved to try to suck them up.  I'd play that.  I'd play that hard. ;D

Kid Icarus - Uprising
After watching Luigi vascuuming up ghosts & ghoulies, this Nintyfied-version of God Of War looked to have promise in the graphics department as well as gameplay... but what's this?
Maybe it's me but the 3D 'depth of field' which the character is limited to appears to be overlayed over a separate 3D background, and so there's this sort  of rubber-banding which occurs where the background moves once the character reaches the 'border' of the foreground constraints.
Maybe it's something I could get used to but the first few views of the vid I've personally found a little disorienting.
Turn the 3D off and it's a reasonable looking psuedo-3D game that you'd be used to seeing on a PSP.
I'm kinda mehh on the G-o-W style of game  (personally, I'd choose Luigi's Mansion 2 over this one) - not one for me but fans of the genre may like this, particularly the Kid Icarus fans.

Consider the following: Other than his appearance in Super Smash Bros. Brawl, the last time there was a Kid Icarus game proper was back in 1991 on the Game Boy.  Yep, that's 20 years ago.  I love the fact that Nintendo's going back and breathing some fresh life into some long-forgotten franchises.  I don't know exactly where then intend to take the series (the original was a tough-as-nails platformer), but I hope they do something interesting with it.

Metal Gear Solid 3D - Snake Eater
Snaaaake!  Snaaaake! You traitor! When did you stop being Sony-exclusive? :)
OK, so this statement is what compelled me to reply to this in the first place.  I know you said you didn't grow up with Nintendo, but that's no excuse for not knowing your videogame history:

The real question is, when did it stop being a Nintendo-exclusive?  (OK, not really, since the obvious answer is the PS1 era, but I'm trying to make a point here. :P)  The point is, this sentence made me do a whole lotta facepalm over my exasperation with your videogame ignorance.  FOR SHAME!! >:(
I don't always play videogames, but when I do, I prefer Excitebots.  Keep spinning, my friends.  8)
theJude's Backloggery

Offline Schprocket

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2011, 09:34:46 PM »
OK, so this statement is what compelled me to reply to this in the first place.  I know you said you didn't grow up with Nintendo, but that's no excuse for not knowing your videogame history:

The real question is, when did it stop being a Nintendo-exclusive?  (OK, not really, since the obvious answer is the PS1 era, but I'm trying to make a point here. :P)  The point is, this sentence made me do a whole lotta facepalm over my exasperation with your videogame ignorance.  FOR SHAME!! >:(

Y'know, after I typed this I had had half an idea that MGS appeared on a different platform but having recently read the history of the Street Fighter series, I thought it was just middle-age messing with my mind.

Consequently, I didn't even bother doing what I usually do and check Google (also because this generally leads me astray onto reading about other things).

NOW it comes back to me that I read this (MGS started on NES) in an Aussie 'Official' Nintendo mag when they were discussing the forthcoming 3DS games.

Hideo Kojima is quite particular about his games and allegedly Nintendo, like Sega, were notoriously particular about their licensing structure back in the day, so I could imagine the 'loss' of exclusivity of the franchise may have been a little technology-related and a little percentage-profit related.

[Edit]
So I decided to do some actual research, since the history got me intrigued! The following comes from the Wikipedia entry for Metal Gear (not MGS - that's got it's own entry)

Nintendo Entertainment System
The level designs were altered for the NES version, which includes an extensive outdoor sequence prior to reaching the first building.

A reprogrammed version for the Family Computer was released in Japan on December 22, 1987. While the MSX2 version of this game was never released in the U.S., the Nintendo Entertainment System version came to North America in June 1988 (published by Konami's Ultra Games division), followed by PAL version in Europe and Australia in March 1989.

According to Kojima's account, the NES port was developed by another Konami team at Tokyo without his involvement, who were given the source code from the MSX2 version without the consent of Kojima or anyone who worked on the original MSX2 version.

While the NES version was intended to be a port of the MSX2 game, many changes were also made to the game during the porting process.[12][13] Hideo Kojima has been vocal about his disappointment at the changes made to the game in its NES port

So this might explain why he may have been reticent towards developing for Nintendo, although it would seem it was more a Konami management decision at the time.

Any sense of NES exclusivity might have been generated by the fact that the MSX2 version was never released in the US, so it would never have been recognised as being a port from another platform.
I don't really recall the MSX platform but that in itself is a little bit of history worth reading.
[/Edit]

I like to have the facts, so I don't mind being corrected, Jude. It usually gets me off my lazy butt to check for myself. ;)
I know I don't know everything (I did say I didn't grow up with Nintendo, after all :) ), so I hope that facepalm didn't hurt too much - LOL!

The comment you made about the Wiimote and Luigi's Mansion has me wondering if there's some intent to use the gyro in the 3DS to do a similar thing, although it at no time was anybody shown playing it, it was all on-screen action. The reason I say this is because one of the aspects of MGS-3D is that there's times when the gyro is employed in-game (walking across a sad-looking rope bridge as shown in the trailer).

As a minor OT comment, I'm looking forward to the WiiU's release. I'd say more but I think I'll leave that for another thread:)

Kid Icarus is another 'moment in Nintendo history' I've missed and at this point I'm going to go OT from the thread but it's kinda related to your comments about Nintendo gaming history and hopefully some insight as to why my comments are as they are.

I'll be honest, until the Wii came out I never got into Nintendo in any big way. My boys had the NES and a Gameboy each but being a PC gamer, I never got into any console stuff until we got the Playstations, and even then it took until the PS3 to wean me off PC games pretty much ever since.

Your Kid Icarus comments make me realise that Nintendo seems to have a number of significant IP franchises beyond the Mario universe with a long history.

However it's typically the Mario/Zelda/Metroid/Kirby franchises that seem synonymous with the big N (Mario being the 'flagship') and that in itself, as a PC and Sony gamer, has left me in the past with feeling towards games on the Nintendo platforms in general to one similar to yours of the Zelda series.

I simply did not get the hype and to a degree the hype is what keeps me away - I mean how many iterations of Mario platformers can you squeeze out?

Now that thinking gets totally turned on it's head when you actually sit downand play one of these 10-20 year old franchises. There's probably two Nintendo games which started to break down that 'Serious PC gamer' mentality.

The first was the much-hyped Animal Crossing on GameCube.
I bought this primarily to get the wife interested in the Wii and we both ended up playing this. When I sold the Wii, I bought a very cheap GC off eBay just so she could keep playing but I think it fell by the way-side. We still have it tucked away ;)

The second, and the only one to ever have as big an impact on my time as a PC or PS3 FPS-game, is Pokemon Black.
For as much as I wince at the dialogue and the cutesy-till-you-pukeness of some aspects of the game there is no denying that the formula is a winner.

It starts out as an easy-to-play rock-paper-scissors type of RPG with the immediacy to be played any where, at any time thanks to it being on a handheld console.
You don't have to play it for hours on end to beat a level in order to save the game or wait around for other to join. You don't have to be a social gamer by any stretch of the  imagination. BUT this game will have you wanting to do the things you never planned.
You will play for hours because it's basics sucks you in.
You will be social and at least trade, if not battle ('rotation' is a fave battle style) because there's always one character you might want to get that just won't happen without a trade... AND I don't think you need a low-latency internet connection to battle (being turn-based), just a solid one - I've yet to test this out :)

The effort which has gone into the design of these two games has changed the way I view the 'old-school' Nintendo-based franchises.
It is a testament to the designers and to some degree the platform which they appear on.

I still believe that there's a disproportionate amount of unimaginative "me-too-minigame" dross out there for the Wii and DS (and the PS2, while I think about it...) - there certainly was for the Wii initially - but I'm hoping that Nintendo continues to broaden it's base into the so-called hard-core games usually associated with the 360 and PS3... without letting go of the quality IPs that it has been renowned for.

So the next time I make a historical gaming gaffe (and I'm a guy who thinks that the PC-based Duke Nukem platformer was the best platform-style game I've ever played...), don't beat yourself up with facepalms - just be glad that some middle-aged guy at least has half-an-interest in the topic, gently tap him on the head with the facts, and send him on his merry way...   ;)

BTW, the player in the video is not giving you a good idea of Duke Nukem - you can shoot vertically definitely up and possibly down, making taking out things like the cameras (for more points) easier.
I watch this and I'm thinking "noooo not like that!" :)

Cheers,

Schprocky
« Last Edit: July 15, 2011, 10:42:02 PM by Schprocket »

Offline theJudeAbides

• The Most Interesting Jerk on the Internet
  • I'm theJude, deal with it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2011, 03:19:55 AM »
OK, firstly I tend to have a flare for over-dramatics, so please don't take my chastising to seriously.  Its far more tounge-in-cheek than what usually comes off on the internet (this is why people sometimes think I'm a jerk when I'm really just joking around).

Some notes on what you said:

I wouldn't necessarily call Kid Icarus an "established license" for Nintendo.  There were only ever 2 games released: one on the NES and a sequel on the Game Boy.  The NES version can be downloaded off of the Wii's virtual console for $5 and is definately worth a look.  Like I said, it's fairly difficult but it is fair.  I've not gotten far in it myself, but I haven't played it a ton, either.  I'd hazard to guess they'll likely release the GB game on the 3DS's virtual console close to Uprising's release.

Another "not really established" Nintendo license is Ice Climber, which has only seen one game back on the NES (and is available on VC for $5 as well).  However, Nintendo included the characters from the game in both Super Smash Bros. Melee and Super Smash Bros. Brawl.

And hey, you know the game we're all here to play, Excitebots?  It actually all got started on the NES with a quietly awesome game called Excite Bike.  The series then skipped a generation and wasn't seen again until the N64 with Excite Bike 64, which I've heard is quite solid.  The series skipped a generation again and was picked up by a little Minnesotan development team called Monster Games who made both Excite Truck, Excitebots, and Excite Bike: World Tour, and we all know how awesome those games are.

Now, as for Mario, I kind-of understand why people seem to think it's just "mindless sequels," but if you actually play the games, you'd realize this isn't really the case.  The original Super Mario Bros. was such a beacon of light in an era when videogames had become just a bunch of crap (do a little research on the videogame collapse of the 80s, and how Nintendo revived the thought-to-be-dying industry).  Then, while the original SMB2 was quite samy (although much more difficult), that game never saw release in the US (at least, not until quite a while later).  Instead, we got a Mario-fied version of a japanese game called Doki Doki Panic which was so radically different from all the other games in the series (yet still really enjoyable to play).  Then there was SMB3, which was the first true sequel to the original, which improved upon it in virtually every way and pushed the NES to it's absolute maximum.

What's interesting to note, though, is that after the NES, each of Nintendo's consoles has only seen 1-2 main Mario games.  Despite these system being out for 4-5 years, there's only one Mario game released in these cycles.  Compare that to some PC franchises like Cash-in of Duty which releases a "new" game every single year, and you'll see that Nintendo takes far more time and puts far more effort into these games than a lot of others.

Super Mario Bros. World on the SNES was yet another great improvement on the series and is still heralded as a great game today.  Super Mario 64 took the series into 3D and showed us what a 3D platformer could/should be.  In an era when MANY franchises were failing in their first steps into 3D, Mario shined the beacon of what they could be.  Super Mario Sunshine, although often considered one of the weaker Mario games, is still an absolute blast and tried some things that, although not universally like, were at least different and interesting.  And then, there's the two Super Mario Galaxy games for the Wii, which, in my opinion, are two of the best games on the Wii.  Nintendo has literally perfected the platformer with these games.  They are a ton of fun, with a great twist on classic Mario platforming while adding a smattering of nostalgic flair for those of us who have been around that long.  Heck, even the New Super Mario Bros. games (the DS and Wii ones) are great throwback titles that remind us just how awesome 2D platformers are.

Now, I will agree with you that when it comes to Mario sports games and the Mario Party series, yes, Nintendo has gone a bit overboard with some of the sequels, but please don't lump these in with the main Mario series, as they aren't even developed by the same teams at Nintendo.  Also, you should seriously consider looking into the Super Mario RPG/Paper Mario series.  They're great little RPG titles with a great sense of humor which aren't afraid to take shots at themselves as well as gamers themselves.

This photo was not doctored. it's from the Super Paper Mario game on the Wii, and is part of a series of questions that get funnier and funnier.  It's one of my favorite quotes from a game, because anybody who's spent any amount of time on gameFAQs knows just how true it is.

Now, as for Metroid, Zelda, Kirby, and Donkey Kong, I could pretty much say similar things.  These series have evolved and grown over the years, always being great and interesting.  It's easy to write these off as "mindless sequels" but they're really not.  Yes, some of the installments have been less stellar than many others.  But to be truthful, I'd rather play a low-tier Nintendo game than many other company's so called "high-tier" games.  Please don't judge these games before you play them.  It's easy to do with the amount of hate that gets directed at Nintendo these days, but seriously, play them for yourself.  A lot of the hate you see is from insecure teenagers who feel the need to push their opinions to feel better about themselves.  Are they really the people you want to be listening to?
I don't always play videogames, but when I do, I prefer Excitebots.  Keep spinning, my friends.  8)
theJude's Backloggery

Offline Schprocket

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2011, 11:09:06 AM »
Excitebike - I downloaded the 'giveaway' for the 3DS.

I recall playing something similar on a stand-up console back in eitehr the very late 70's or very early 80's. I sucked at it then and now... well let's say I haven't lost my touch :)

I think ExciteBike 64 is available as Wiiware having just spotted a beefed-up version of ExciteBike in that channel about an hour ago.

Although it's probably got lost in the waffle, I agree with you - what I was trying to say was that I think I have misjudged a lot of the big "N"s first-party titles in the past.

Before selling off the first Wii three years ago, I had been tempted to buy Paper Mario - and in a minor ON-topic moment,  the 3DS version looks pretty darn cool.

The Galaxy-series looks like a total mind-job and I mean that in a good way. The whole idea of a 3D platformer which defies 'gravity' shows some reallly intelligent outside-the-box thinking, IMO. Whether I could keep up with it is another matter :)

Finally, I love the "Cash-in Of Duty" comment - one of the best I've read!

Unfortunately/fortunately it seems that's the way that the industry goes and I guess whatever comments have been directed at Nintendo in the past are now just as applicable to a wider arena.

I think one of the classic examples here would have to be EA. Back in the days of the Apple II and the C64, etc, they were quite a progressive, 'games as art' oriented company.

Now the titles are like commercial music - new versions of the same old stuff that sells.

Whoever-the-flavour-of-the-month-is-now's Golf (didn't it used to be PGA Tour?), the various codes of football (four of them, not just one ;) ), Battlefield ( I can't believe I just dissed it! ), The Sims. and Need For Speed. But not just on one platform, on just about every platform imaginable.

I mean, it might be in human nature that we all like something familiar but every once in a while, we need something to break the monotony to remind us we're somewhat sentient... :)