TGC ShoutBox

Refresh History
  • Forum rules apply here! Only members can Shout.
  • TopStarRacer: Happy birthday BTC! :D
    January 10, 2018, 03:48:28 AM
  • JoomX: Got a birthday coming up, eh BTC?  Make it a good one...  :)
    January 06, 2018, 04:58:58 PM
  • JoomX: Well, it's 2018.  9 years old and EB is still the best racing game on the planet...
    January 01, 2018, 04:20:18 PM
  • JoomX: Back at ya, Top.  Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to all.  And yes, EB 2018 would be the best Christmas gift...
    December 24, 2017, 05:14:14 PM
  • TopStarRacer: Merry Christmas and Happy New Year everyone! Here's hoping a new EB comes out in 2018! We can dream right?
    December 24, 2017, 12:07:19 AM
  • JoomX: Wow, four members here today.  It's a revival...  ;D
    December 13, 2017, 11:20:09 PM
  • theJudeAbides: Just need Snooog and Big Air to come back... and for theJude to go away. :D :P
    December 13, 2017, 05:59:08 AM
  • FLASH: Not at all! That's not even the comic book Barry Allen, but I'm ok with Ezra Miller as the Flash. Superman is more my speed these days  8)
    December 10, 2017, 10:17:37 AM
  • TopStarRacer: Hey FLASH! I saw Justice League the other day. How much do you relate to FLASH? :P
    December 08, 2017, 08:45:44 PM
  • JoomX: Good to see you too, Flash.  Too bad we don't have a good game we could all get into and hang out more often...
    December 08, 2017, 01:51:51 PM
  • FLASH: Long time no see Agent C! Good to see you around! BTC wished me a Happy Thanksgiving a few weeks ago so I figured I'd check in and see what's up. Hope you all are doing well!
    December 08, 2017, 01:33:09 PM
  • JoomX: Yes it would, Top.  Miss chatting with the old crew, including Dynamo.  And hey there, Agent C, good to see you...  :)
    December 04, 2017, 12:45:57 PM
  • TopStarRacer: Now if only BIG AIR and Snooog could pop in...be nice to hear from those old farts.
    December 02, 2017, 01:14:34 AM
  • TopStarRacer: The legend himself, how is the ol' AC?  Miss racing and chatting with you!
    December 02, 2017, 01:13:34 AM
  • Agent C: ;D
    December 01, 2017, 07:33:59 PM
  • Agent C: Oh, and Nintendo Switch sucks, wouldn't buy it for $50!
    December 01, 2017, 07:33:29 PM
  • Agent C: See, been that long, forgot it tells who is saying what! :P
    December 01, 2017, 07:31:55 PM
  • Agent C: Agent C, checking in after a long time. Hope everyone is doing well. I'm still around.
    December 01, 2017, 07:30:57 PM
  • JoomX: 33rd?  Wow...
    December 01, 2017, 11:42:04 AM
  • TopStarRacer: Happy 33rd Birthday Excitebike, the one that started it all!
    November 30, 2017, 11:32:16 AM

Author Topic: Virtual Console Games  (Read 1301 times)

Offline Schprocket

• Skippy...Skippy.... Skippy the Bush Kangaroooooo
    • View Profile
Virtual Console Games
« on: July 30, 2011, 07:48:14 AM »
I had bought some Wii points and it took me about a week to decide what I was going to buy.

I'd looked at some of the WiiWare but I figured there were some classic Nintendo console games that I hadn't played. Not too much of a platformer fan (although Super Mario 64 and Super Mario Galaxy have me piqued) but I remembered I was always going to give Paper Mario a go when I had the previous Wii.

So, after much hand-wringing, Paper Mario (Nintendo 64) was it.

I'm not too far into the game as yet but as I am starting to notice with the Nintendo first-party titles, they are well-designed for those of us who aren't fond of manuals, guiding you gently through the training missions without being too stop-start or boring.

Looking forward to completing this one !

So, what does everybody else have in their Virtual Console collection?

Offline Barbie68

• Queen BEEliner
  • JESUS IS LORD
    • View Profile
Re: Virtual Console Games
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2011, 01:40:10 PM »
I'll always be a Mario Girl.  I have several of them and Tetris.  I even have excitebike, but never play that one. 

Offline JoomX

• I Am The
  • Administrator
  • TGC Junkie
  • It's all about the game...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2011, 02:42:05 PM »
I don't have any of the Mario stuff from WiiWare yet.  I have picked up a few things over time, like 'World of Goo' (kind of fun and addictive), some 'Family Cart'' racing thing that's not so hot, ExciteBike which has online play and isn't too bad for a 2D iso game, and a few others.

I try to keep a few points in there just in case I see something interesting, I browse around there every couple months to check for new stuff...
A computer once beat me at chess, but as it turns out it was no match for me at kickboxing... ;)

Offline theJudeAbides

• The Most Interesting Jerk on the Internet
  • I'm theJude, deal with it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2011, 02:25:00 AM »
OK, first of all, Sprocket, you need to get out of my head.  I was actually thinking about posting something about the VC last night as I was falling asleep and then this morning, lo and behold, there was a topic about VC.  GET OUTTA MY MIND, MAN!!! :o

I personally love the VC and have downloaded several titles off the service.   I generally stay clear of the N64 games, mainly because I still have my N64 console and a pretty good collection of games, and I'd rather purchase the cartridges, even if they are a little more expensive.  The N64 is one of the best consoles to collect games for, because only 294 games were ever released in North America, with a few more being exclusive to Europe and/or Japan.  I would like to get that Sin & Punishment game, though, since that was Japan only and is VERY difficult to find in the US.

I pretty much own all the Mario and Mega Man titles, and have been starting to download Zelda as well.  I'm working on completing my "Nintendo made" collection, but still have a ways to go.  I need to get the Donkey Kong games as well.  I did download Kirby's Adventure nearly immediately, because we used to have the cartridge until my sister lent it to a [now ex] boyfriend, never to be seen again.  It's a fun little game, worth checking out.  On the other side, I also downloaded Kid Icarus, which I never even knew much about, but is interesting to play (I still haven't gotten very far due to its difficulty).

I've also had a fair amount of fun downloading some Schmups I never had a chance to play when I was younger.  The Contra series is pretty beast, especially Contra 3: The Alien Wars.  I've also had a fascination with top-down and side-scrolling schmups, and there is a lot of great games to be played.  I've really enjoyed Blazing Laser and Gate of Thunder, but there are many others as well.  I'd never even heard of the Turbografix-16 console until the VC, but there were a lot of great games for it.

The main question I have about the VC now, though, is what Nintendo will do with the new Wii U.  Will I be able to carry my games over onto the new console?  I remember Nintendo saying at the start of the VC that the games were tied exclusively to your Wii, so that worries me some.  However, they originally said they weren't going to allow people to download to SD cards, but the did eventually cave on that as well (I had basically put a moratorium on my VC spending until they did at the time, because I had pretty much filled up the limited space on my Wii, and I wasn't even downloading the much larger N64 games).

Anyways, I don't know if you guys know about it, but there is a pretty good site that reviews all the VC games and has lists that you can look through to see what's available.  It's pretty much the first and only site I go to when thinking about downloading a new game or if I'm looking for news about the service.  You should definately check it out.
I don't always play videogames, but when I do, I prefer Excitebots.  Keep spinning, my friends.  8)
theJude's Backloggery

Offline Schprocket

• Skippy...Skippy.... Skippy the Bush Kangaroooooo
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2011, 04:58:31 AM »
"You you...you have entered entered...entered the Gamer's Gamer's...Gamer's Twilight Zone Zone...Zone...Zone" :)

That's a top link and a great looking site - one for the bookmarks!
« Last Edit: July 31, 2011, 05:29:56 AM by Schprocket »

Offline christupboi

• whatsup y'all
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2013, 04:42:27 AM »
for all the competitive fighting game players: super street fighter ll: THE NEW CHALLENGERS is an game that has online,( actually, one of them do, there will be two, pick the first one)
GOD is my strength

Offline christupboi

• whatsup y'all
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2013, 04:43:53 AM »
for all the competitive fighting game players: super street fighter ll: THE NEW CHALLENGERS is an game that has online,( actually, one of them do, there will be two, pick the first one)

lets make a forum for this so we can fight each other if y'all buy it
GOD is my strength